As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That face when you manage to get a multi-million Euro selfie:

(Jan Wörner is the current director-general of the ESA.)

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    "Iridium Boss" Matt Desch states that by going with SpaceX they've saved "more than" $320 million on launch costs. They have one more launch before their NEXT constellation is complete.

What a savings.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2tc2r3jwhE

Super advanced space age winch and pully technology looks a bit faster than removing the legs completely. Not to mention attaching them again later.

It looks like they added some sort of locking mechanism they can disengage near the base of the a-frame. I wonder how the locking mechanism in the telescoping pistons work, one way valve? The final stage of closing looks a bit dodgy, hope there's a failsafe to ensure they don't over tension the wires when it's nearly closed.

Earlier in the video it looks surprisingly labor intensive to disengage the roomba, I wonder why it can't just unlatch itself, or maybe just one of the arms was having issues?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Space continues to be hard and NASA's commercial crew program slogs along.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/07/asap-boeing-failure-positive-spacex-crew-announcement/

At least NASA is sticking to it's safety requirements these days and not rationalizing why they don't really need adhere to them.

Edit: Looks like Boeing's Starliner will be delayed 6 months

Seal on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    So routine now, this barely gets noticed:

• Options
    Their webcasters should find a better way to pivot when the drone ship feed gets cut off. It happens every time but the reaction varies between apprehension and "maybe my puppy just died".

It looks like flight 3 for that particular booster is already planned, so that's neat.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Cross-posting from the [chat] thread!:

Llllllllllllllllladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, non-binary friends of all ages, TONIGHT we are going to see history (if you feel like staying up late! At 12:33am Pacific, 3:33am Eastern, 07:33 UTC, the Parker Solar Probe will be launching out of Space Launch Complex 33B onboard one of the most powerful rockets in the world, the Delta IV Heavy!

Weighing in at just 685 kg, the Parker Solar Probe is a compact little data gatherer! Planning to fly into the Sun's lower corona, the probe will get as close as 6.0 million km from the Sun, just 0.040 AU (1 AU = the distance from the Sun to us).

Because it is getting SO close to the Sun, the Parker Solar Probe needs to protect itself - in the form of 4.5 inch thick solar shield made of a reinforced carbon-carbon composite. Shit is intense, folks! Because the radio communication time to the probe will be 8+ minutes once it reaches its target orbit, the probe will have to defend itself from the Sun's intense light and radiation, positioning itself such that the solar shield is always facing the Sun. Because of this always-on self-defense action, the Parker Solar Probe is being described as "one of the most autonomous spacecraft ever".

Artist's rendition of the probe doing its thing in low solar orbit:

eRXTvyT.jpg?1

Livestream link starting at 3am via NASA TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwMDvPCGeE0

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Perseid meteor shower is peaking this weekend! I work Sunday, which sucks.

• Options

Launch scrubbed. PSP on 24 hour engineering hold.

• Options
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was awake because I suck.

It was an intense launch.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    And now we wait as PSP goes off on it's long journey.

Crew Dragon question I've been pondering: What happens if all of the touch-screens get smashed post circularization burn? Say in the unlikely event of a micro-meteoroid (or other unspecified debris) impact(s)?
    Or if something comes loose inside the cabin with enough force to damage them?
    al4l0o1o3t6y.png
    Have SpaceX done a full risk analysis for this potential failure modality? #ThingsThatKeepMeUpAtNight #BecauseIamAHugeSpaceNerd

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Crew Dragon question I've been pondering: What happens if all of the touch-screens get smashed post circularization burn? Say in the unlikely event of a micro-meteoroid (or other unspecified debris) impact(s)?
    al4l0o1o3t6y.png
    Have SpaceX done a full risk analysis for this potential failure modality? #ThingsThatKeepMeUpAtNight #BecauseIamAHugeSpaceNerd

If you ask someone from spaceX on twitter there is a decent chance they might tell you.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Also how well can you use a touch screen when everything is shaking? I find it really hard in a car to use an in dash touch screen without first putting another finger on the edge to stabilize my hand to the screen.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    IIRC spacecraft crew are basically along for the ride as little more than ballast whenever the vessel is actually under accelleration. They probably wouldn't be touching controls during launch, at least (not least because reaching the screens would be difficult, much less touching them precisely).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    For ordinary (nominal?) flight the touch screens are the backup for the backup. Primary control is the computers in the capsule, secondary is ground control and if those two fail the crew can take over. Shaking isn't a problem because if it's shaking they're either being launched or falling through the atmosphere, in either scenario there's nothing they can do save for pulling the big eject handle that is obscured by someone's arm in that picture. I wonder if one of those switches is a manual parachute deploy button...

Seal on
  • Options
    I know about the LES handle. So presumably there's some ability to de-orbit manually? No screens, computers, or radios? (An unlikely FUBAR scenario, I know).

• Options
    If you squint real hard one of the buttons is ominously labeled "DEORBIT NOW" on the far left.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    In less exciting news, there was a pretty grueling 8-hour E.V.A. by two cosmonauts on the 15th, where they launched handheld satellites into orbit among other tasks. The walk was captured by camera footage included GoPros (one of which was accidentally broken by a cosmonaut? Apparently the casing was damaged it failed shortly after they completed their duties).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6ghCok4jA

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    In less exciting news, there was a pretty grueling 8-hour E.V.A. by two cosmonauts on the 15th, where they launched handheld satellites into orbit among other tasks. The walk was captured by camera footage included GoPros (one of which was accidentally broken by a cosmonaut? Apparently the casing was damaged it failed shortly after they completed their duties).

"Took sports camera into the murderous vacuum of space, did not work. 0/10."

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

al4l0o1o3t6y.png

There are manual controls (i.e. a shitload of physical buttons) situated below the touchscreens as backup. They are covered by a glass panel to prevent accidental operation.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I honestly wonder of a voice control system would be possible as a backup, TNG style.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    I honestly wonder of a voice control system would be possible as a backup, TNG style.

No.

Voice recognition is still too ... fucky ... to trust spaceships to.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

No.

Voice recognition is still too ... fucky ... to trust spaceships to.

seriously is this what you want

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TueALMuOi5Q

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Not to mention the next step after voice recognition is lip reading, and then we are fucked

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Not to mention the next step after voice recognition is lip reading, and then we are fucked

Except for the soccer players, they've been training for that scenario for years.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    honovere wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Except for the soccer players, they've been training for that scenario for years.

I think I've missed something here, because I'm bewildered as to how it will be tactically useful in the future to ruin a sport with fantastically overdramatic fake injuries.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Synthesis wrote: »

"Took sports camera into the murderous vacuum of space, did not work. 0/10."

Start checking Amazon for Russian-language reviews left by sellers who consistently review a weird amount of ultra-expensive industrial, radio, and extreme weather gear. And DVDs of space exploration cinema.

Synthesis on
  • Options
  • Options
    Vega sure moves off the pad quickly

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I almost thought this was a target render until I viewed the source image.

5jf6cj5hffms.jpg

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Scott Manley has nice things to say about Centaurs. Also NASA has neat tools online https://elvperf.ksc.nasa.gov/Pages/Default.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoUtgWQk-Y0

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I wonder if SpaceX will ever look into better vacuum optimized engines.

Maybe I should have finished this video.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    They discovered a small hole in the International Space Station last night, which at its initial rate of depressurization would have rendered the station uninhabitable in 3 days.

The hole was actually in a docked Soyuz orbital module (the part of the spacecraft that gets thrown away prior to reentry), near the hatch.

The application of kapton tape slowed the leak considerably, giving them 18 days to solve the issue.

The issue has since been resolved through the application of more permanent patching solutions.

Even at the initial depressurization rate, the crew were never in danger given the hole was in the hull of a visiting spacecraft, and not the ISS itself. Still, happy to see it get resolved quickly!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... That's ... that's gotta be a real pucker moment.

• Options
    Damn.

That's the ball-shaped part, not the can-shaped part, of the Soyuz spacecraft.

Well, crisis averted.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Couldn't have been too bad if they didn't even bother to wake up the crew over it.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Couldn't have been too bad if they didn't even bother to wake up the crew over it.

It was slow enough that the stop gaps would have been at least enough to buy them weeks worth of time even if it did not prove to be more permanently patchable.

This discussion has been closed.