As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Spaceflight & Exploration] Thread

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Seal wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feplKyucGkU

I'm sure most of you have heard of the time the Russian space station Mir was hit by a supply vessel. But did you know it involved a handheld laser rangefinder and a stopwatch?

Not the best piece I've seen on the mishap, but not the worse either. Off the top of my head, it's one of the three Progress mission failures that I'm aware of (I don't think there are more?).

The Progress mission is apparently the fastest on record (this has been something Roscosmos has been playing around with for quite a while, shrinking their mission time with the Progress resupplies mission by mission).

On a humorous side note, Ars Technica didn't report on MS-09, but it did feature an interesting story about how Roscosmos is entering the dark ages (according to an editor). Check it out if prefer their style of journalism (or "journalism"), just stay away from the comments, where people might be letting their enthusiasm for SpaceX get..out of hand, let's say. :lol:

EDIT: Side note about MS-09--from what I understand, it's still planned to decommission the the Pirs (wait for it..."Pier", technically SO-1) Russian docking/airlock module with MS-09? SO-2 went up with with what was Pirs' unofficial successor, Poisk, in 2009.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Wow, that Progress mission literally sneaked past me unnoticed

I don't think that's happened before! I'm glad it went off without a hitch, at least :)

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    China just launched a couple of satellites too:

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    So I haven't heard anything on whether Opportunity made it through the dust storm, I'm assuming it's all happy news right? Right?!?!!

• Options
    hawkbox wrote: »
    So I haven't heard anything on whether Opportunity made it through the dust storm, I'm assuming it's all happy news right? Right?!?!!

The dust storm is only just dying down now, a few days after Opportunity's 15th birthday :)

But last I heard before the storm rolled in was that the concerns were overblown and that in 9 cases out of 10, it ought to be able to weather it just fine

We should know for certain soon™!

• Options
    I sure hope so. I want it rolling up to greet the first manned mission so we can bring it home.

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    I sure hope so. I want it rolling up to greet the first manned mission so we can bring it home it can give them a guided tour.

Upgrade that bad boy with new tech and let him keep exploring.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    I sure hope so. I want it rolling up to greet the first manned mission so we can bring it home it can give them a guided tour.

"Hey, Opportunity! How do you feel about a reassignment ... to Europa?"
    "Bleep bloop" *wheels spin, camera pans up and down*
    "That's my boy."

• Options
    With fusion batteries!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

I don't think that's happened before! I'm glad it went off without a hitch, at least :)

How the hell does a rocket sneak?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

The dust storm is only just dying down now, a few days after Opportunity's 15th birthday :)

But last I heard before the storm rolled in was that the concerns were overblown and that in 9 cases out of 10, it ought to be able to weather it just fine

We should know for certain soon™!

The little guys batteries are getting long in the tooth so here is hoping it was able to ride this blow out and comes through okay.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

very quickly?

• Options

From the other side of the planet, in this instance :wink:

• Options

Ah ... Made up the Size penalty with a Cover bonus ...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Ah ... Made up the Size penalty with a Cover bonus ...

We're going to need a few magnitudes past "Colossal" here.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Bullhead wrote: »

"Hey, Opportunity! How do you feel about a reassignment ... to Europa?"
    "Bleep bloop" *wheels spin, camera pans up and down*
    "That's my boy."

Do you guys even watch movies about robots sent to space?

Obviously it has been there too long now and will have malfunctioned and switched over to the "kill all humans" mode that planetary probes apparently use by default, so the first thing it will do when it sees humans is attempt to grind them into a greasy smear under its wheels.

This is basic stuff, folks.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    make sure to check if there are any red lights either where it’s eyes or heart would be before engaging

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    You have the switch set to evil

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Mr-Steven-new-arms-and-struts-pano-071018-Pauline-Acalin-c-2.jpg
    SpaceX continues its trend of building increasingly ridiculous looking things. Word is the net will be 40,000 square feet. You guys want to catch a fairing?

• Options
    Heh, I heard they were "upgrading" Mr Steven

I figure at this point it'll work, or nothing will :P

• Options
    SpaceX continues its trend of building increasingly ridiculous looking things. Word is the net will be 40,000 square feet. You guys want to catch a fairing?

Wow if mr steven gets rocking the deck must get really exciting given how wide those arms are now sheesh.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular

<frozen>
    do you wanna catch a fairing
    </frozen>

• Options
    Tynnan wrote: »

<frozen>
    do you wanna catch a fairing
    </frozen>

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that ...

• Options
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/nasa-commercial-crew-analysis-finds-boeing-slightly-ahead-of-spacex/
    This report was conducted to warn Congress that NASA has no contingency plan for how to keep its astronauts on board the International Space Station after November 2019, when the last Russian Soyuz seat NASA has procured is scheduled to fly home.

"While NASA is working on potential solutions, there is no contingency plan in place to address this potential gap," the report states. "Without a viable contingency plan, NASA puts at risk achievement of the US goal and objective for the ISS."

With this report in hand, Congress will probably press NASA to finalize and release such a plan. Previously, NASA has indicated it may turn the first Boeing crewed flight, which would precede the "certification milestone," into an operational flight and extend its mission to the station. It may also seek to delay the return of that final Soyuz mission from November 2019 for two months into January 2020. Depending on the extent of schedule delays, however, neither of those measures may prove adequate.

• Options

I only caught it because I happened to come across Scott Manley tweeting a link to the live stream. :)
    I only wish I could understand Russian because the commentary sounded very enthusiastic.

• Options
    I can't believe there was talk of in-flight aborts as early as August, and uncrewed test flights as early as December, and now we're talking about not being operational a year after that?

Pick up the pace and / or time to get a little ballsy, I say!

• Options
    m2ymb8a71rtg.jpg
    hilarious

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The noble and graceful ship, the SS IgotitIgotitIgotit, ladies and gentlemen.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    SS GiantCatchersMitt.exe

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    The noble and graceful ship, the SS IgotitIgotitIgotit, ladies and gentlemen.

SS IgotitIgotitIgotitidontgotit....

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Ok but like was there only one tug boat available so you couldn't just attach a net between two of them?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ok but like was there only one tug boat available so you couldn't just attach a net between two of them?

Keeping them close together would be annoying at best. Also retrieving the fairing after.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Attach them together as a catamaran.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    It doesn't really look it but Mr. Steven is a bit of a speed boat, topping out around 37 mph. A fairing half can get blown around quite a bit on descent, even with a guided parafoil. So they wanted something that could cover a lot of distance during the catch phase. Being fast is probably also nice because of the significantly farther downrange distances than landed boosters.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I wonder if some oversized drones doing formation flying would be able to that job?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Clearly the boat needs some sort of additional propulsion system in order to assure that it can reach a fairing before touchdown. Perhaps some sort of chemical-based incendiary motor?

Though you would need a net to properly stop the vessel.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Surface observatory rather than crewed/crewable vessels, but South Africa's MeerKAT radio telescope's getting some pretty metal imagery now that it's fully up and running.

The Gizmodo link on the same thing is afflicted with Gizmodo Science Writing Syndrome, but does have a much higher-resolution version of the image.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So this is kind of bluring the lines between air travel and space, but these are really cool future aircraft designs made by Oscar Viñals, who much like Gerard O'Neill's space colony cylinder, shows what future space flight technology could conceivably be based on existed concepts and prototypes. Highlights include a space tourism shuttle, next generation passenger planes, orbital debris cleaners, and more. Plus the designs are really, really cool and are mostly hybrid nuclear/solar powered.

e64bb4766b4796f2de3559e725202038.jpg

https://www.behance.net/ovisdesign

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Hey space thread, I'll be taking a leave of absence from launch / breaking news coverage for at least the rest of the summer, just as an FYI :)

I probably won't actively be checking this thread, but feel free to @ me if you think something might intrigue me!

This discussion has been closed.