As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread that goes bump in the night! [Spooky] Thread y'all!

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Nothin' spookier than someone eating soup while poopin'

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everyone should work a job where you have to clean toilets at some point in there life.

The angles at play can be horrifying when you think of what the hell went down. Strange situations also play out. For the sake of everyone's stomachs, one highlight I will mention is a sink being clogged with some sort of soup. I've abandoned the idea that people should not carry their outside drinks into a retail restroom, but WHY DID YOU BRING SOUP? Why did you abandon it?

Was it soup, or just barely digested vomit?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Dinty Moore beef stew, so a little bit of both actually

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've used some roadside rest stop toilets (LOOKIN AT YOU SPECIFICALLY NEVADA) where I was, no joke, about 90 percent certain I was going to be literally killed.

Some of Montana's are horrifying too. Wyoming tends to have excellent rest stops. Bad weather, difficult driving conditions, long stretches of actual nothing except rugged country and just a whole bunch of monsters I'm serious the lonely places out in the Rocky mountain region are thick with boogins of assorted varieties.

Ahem. Yeah, high quality rest areas actually improve highway safety in several important ways, especially if they have truck access.

When you're still 80 miles out from Boise, it's 12:30am, you pull off to the rest stop in hopes of a quick piss and vending machine caffeine, you see one other car in the entire lot. It's empty. You wait. Five minutes, ten. Nobody has come out of the bathroom. You realize how poorly lit the place is, how dark it is around the vending area and bathroom entrances. You hear a rustle in the bushes.

You make Boise in 40 minutes.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Spooky rest stops, huh?
    A story in two parts, from the last spooky thread
    So, road trips. Long lonely wanderings up and down the trackless waste of the US interstate system. Maybe you find weird shit out there! Living in Mississippi, which sucks, I drive back to the Carolinas a lot to see family and friends. At least until recently, since I got kinda burned out and needed to take a break.

Anyway, I want to tell you a quick little tale. On one of these trips along I-20, somewhere in Alabama, my large coffee had run its natural course and I found myself in need of a rest stop and pulled off at the next one I saw. I'd gotten a much later start than I had hoped to, so it was already near sunset, and raining like a second great flood on top of that. So I go sprinting inside and come up in the little antechamber, you know, men's room to one side, ladies to the other. Clearly an old building, judging from the tile and fixtures.

Directly in front of me, in the center of the antechamber wall, was a speaker, one of those old fashioned ones with the metal grille over it, and a button with a plaque that said "press for weather information." I'm standing there dripping wet so I know what the weather is but I press it anyway for kicks.

I don't hear the weather. What I hear is the scratchiest, most distorted old recording of a Baptist sermon. Real fire and brimstone stuff too, all some ominous old Southern dude howling about the Pit and the Beast and the trumpets and all that jazz.

Weird, I think. I go into the men's room (where there is another speaker which is now also playing this sermon) do what I gotta do and walk back out. On the way back to my car I notice the little security booth (rest stops along this stretch of 20 often have a guy with a golf cart who keeps an eye on the parking lot) and I can see what looks like the shape of someone sitting behind the glass, but the light is too poor to make anything out. But the shape is perfectly still. The head doesn't move, it doesn't seem to be reading or occupying itself at all.

Thoroughly weirded out, I get back to my car and haul ass out of there without incident. Though for a minute I swear I can still hear that sermon real low in my car speakers. On my way out I took note of the next mile marker, just as an item of interest about this weird little stop on the road.

Here's the thing. I haven't been able to find that rest stop again. I was positive I remembered that mile marker correctly, but there's nothing there, or for miles on either side.

I'd like to think I just got the numbers switched around in my head. I hope that's the truth.
    Hey so you guys remember this story
    A few days ago I had occasion to be on the road again, but with a different destination and thus traveling along an entirely different highway

I pulled over at a rest stop and went inside and there it fucking is
    I swear it's the same goddamn building, displaced hundreds of miles

Same old tile, same silent speaker grille, same "press for weather" button

I didn't press it. I turned around and walked right back to my car. On the way I pass a truck driver who's just parked and is walking up.

"Those pretty clean?" He asks.
    "NO." I reply as I get in my car and speed away

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Clearly you walked into a parallel dimension. You should make sure not to get murdered and replaced by the other you.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Everyone should work a job where you have to clean toilets at some point in there life.

My managers at Target would get confused that I wouldn't use the front restrooms while cashiering, only the ones in back.

To be fair, they probably thought I was sneaking in chats with the backs room folks, but my god we're those front restrooms always gross. Just udderly destroyed.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Spooky rest stops, huh?
    A story in two parts, from the last spooky thread
    So, road trips. Long lonely wanderings up and down the trackless waste of the US interstate system. Maybe you find weird shit out there! Living in Mississippi, which sucks, I drive back to the Carolinas a lot to see family and friends. At least until recently, since I got kinda burned out and needed to take a break.

Anyway, I want to tell you a quick little tale. On one of these trips along I-20, somewhere in Alabama, my large coffee had run its natural course and I found myself in need of a rest stop and pulled off at the next one I saw. I'd gotten a much later start than I had hoped to, so it was already near sunset, and raining like a second great flood on top of that. So I go sprinting inside and come up in the little antechamber, you know, men's room to one side, ladies to the other. Clearly an old building, judging from the tile and fixtures.

Directly in front of me, in the center of the antechamber wall, was a speaker, one of those old fashioned ones with the metal grille over it, and a button with a plaque that said "press for weather information." I'm standing there dripping wet so I know what the weather is but I press it anyway for kicks.

I don't hear the weather. What I hear is the scratchiest, most distorted old recording of a Baptist sermon. Real fire and brimstone stuff too, all some ominous old Southern dude howling about the Pit and the Beast and the trumpets and all that jazz.

Weird, I think. I go into the men's room (where there is another speaker which is now also playing this sermon) do what I gotta do and walk back out. On the way back to my car I notice the little security booth (rest stops along this stretch of 20 often have a guy with a golf cart who keeps an eye on the parking lot) and I can see what looks like the shape of someone sitting behind the glass, but the light is too poor to make anything out. But the shape is perfectly still. The head doesn't move, it doesn't seem to be reading or occupying itself at all.

Thoroughly weirded out, I get back to my car and haul ass out of there without incident. Though for a minute I swear I can still hear that sermon real low in my car speakers. On my way out I took note of the next mile marker, just as an item of interest about this weird little stop on the road.

Here's the thing. I haven't been able to find that rest stop again. I was positive I remembered that mile marker correctly, but there's nothing there, or for miles on either side.

I'd like to think I just got the numbers switched around in my head. I hope that's the truth.
    Hey so you guys remember this story
    A few days ago I had occasion to be on the road again, but with a different destination and thus traveling along an entirely different highway

I pulled over at a rest stop and went inside and there it fucking is
    I swear it's the same goddamn building, displaced hundreds of miles

Same old tile, same silent speaker grille, same "press for weather" button

I didn't press it. I turned around and walked right back to my car. On the way I pass a truck driver who's just parked and is walking up.

"Those pretty clean?" He asks.
    "NO." I reply as I get in my car and speed away

Like 85% of rest stops in the US aren't on Googlemaps, either, and have no addresses. That they would teleport around the country searching out weary travelers to either assist or terrify is something I would believe.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

... but my god we're those front restrooms always gross. Just udderly destroyed.

That's what happens when you let a cow use your restroom, though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [/i]

My office had to have a building-wide awareness session on Friday which boiled down to “don’t fuck up the bathrooms”

I’m talking poop artistry and unscrewing U-bends

People are animals

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    So a possibly spooky thing happened to my wife and I last week. We were driving on a long road trip when we get a call on my phone with the area code of her home town. We answer and it's an old woman asking for my wife by her first name, but having trouble hearing us answer. Finally she hears us answer and we ask who it is, and she says to my wife "It's Grandma!". My wife hangs up because all of her grandparents have been dead for years. I would say coincidence, but it's spooky that the area code was definitely the same one that her grandmas would have had, and they called my phone to ask for her. I have a different area code. Also we were in mountains with spotty service, so even getting a phone call was odd.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    So a possibly spooky thing happened to my wife and I last week. We were driving on a long road trip when we get a call on my phone with the area code of her home town. We answer and it's an old woman asking for my wife by her first name, but having trouble hearing us answer. Finally she hears us answer and we ask who it is, and she says to my wife "It's Grandma!". My wife hangs up because all of her grandparents have been dead for years. I would say coincidence, but it's spooky that the area code was definitely the same one that her grandmas would have had, and they called my phone to ask for her. I have a different area code. Also we were in mountains with spotty service, so even getting a phone call was odd.

that person was trying to scam you =(

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Yeah I was about to say I've definitely heard of scammers posing as family members before but never one posing as an older family member. Usually it's a younger person like GRANMA I GOT ARRESTED I NEED A BAJILLION DOLLARS FOR BAIL

• Options
    Yeah I was about to say I've definitely heard of scammers posing as family members before but never one posing as an older family member. Usually it's a younger person like GRANMA I GOT ARRESTED I NEED A BAJILLION DOLLARS FOR BAIL

yep =(

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »

yep =(

Happened to my grandma. She is full of piss and vinegar though so she told them to go fuck themselves (In much more polite language) then called me to tell me about it, as they had posed as me.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Smurph wrote: »

that person was trying to scam you =(

That makes a lot more sense. I get scam calls from my own home area code all the time and never pick them up, but this is the first time I've gotten it from my wife's. And they knew her name probably via the same method they figured out that was her area code.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Just had a weird late drive home. I had a car pull up behind me on the highway from the on-ramp lane and flash its brights at me. I sped up to give them some distance and figured that was it.
    Then, after I got off the highway a car pulled up behind me and did it again, not sure if it was the same car or not. I drove to a busy 24hr gas station and watched them pass by. Just a couple nondescript dudes in an older, red, sedan. Didn't even look at me as they passed.

I checked my tail lights and everything was in working order, I just had them replaced this morning, even.

I don't know what that was about.

Edit: No murderers in the back seat either. I checked that first.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Finally got around to watching Mother! after hearing about it from a few different people.

I don't know exactly how I feel about it.

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

I see my wraith has given up and found somebody else to haunt.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    well tonights Ghost Adventures probably had the strongest paranormal event ever recorded

Xehalus on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    What happened?

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    like in musculature or

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    they are all sitting in front of their moniters regrouping when a door creaks open to their right

which the place has a history of

they start freaking out of course and Zak calls out for an answer to who and why the door opened and the response is their spirit box cutting itself on and a lady apologizing, "because I had to..."

• Options
    COME AT ME GHOST!

• Options
    i have a lot of opinions about spirit boxes

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I love how doors opening randomly in an old building is evidence of ghosts and not just evidence of like

and old fucking building

#pipe on
  • Options
    i have a lot of opinions about spirit boxes

I just have one: lol

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I thought that the strongest evidence ever presented on the show was when an old, junk ceiling fan got pulled off the top of a dresser, all of it fully caught on camera. Like, it obviously could have been faked but if at all real, it's difficult to explain away. That's a pretty heavy object and it got dragged off the dresser, it didn't just topple off.

In that same episode a walkie talkie got pulled off the monitor station table right in front of Jay. The monitor station was set up one room over from the room with the fan.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Exactly. Show me video of the doorknob completely rotating and the door opening smoothly as if someone was walking through it, then we can begin a discussion.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    jgeis wrote: »
    I thought that the strongest evidence ever presented on the show was when an old, junk ceiling fan got pulled off the top of a dresser, all of it fully caught on camera. Like, it obviously could have been faked but if at all real, it's difficult to explain away. That's a pretty heavy object and it got dragged off the dresser, it didn't just topple off.

In that same episode a walkie talkie got pulled off the monitor station table right in front of Jay. The monitor station was set up one room over from the room with the fan.

there is zero percent chance they don't fake at least a little bit of stuff in those shows. If nothing ever happened they wouldn't have recorded

*checks*

16 fucking seasons??

#pipe on
  • Options
    i am of the opinion that the nature of old creepy places is that you need to fake very little to make it old and creepy and that more things move than people give them credit for especially when a bunch of dudes and equipment stomped through a house for the first time in years

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

there is zero percent chance they don't fake at least a little bit of stuff in those shows. If nothing ever happened they wouldn't have recorded

*check*

16 fucking seasons??

Oh yeah, I'm always sceptical of the show because it is primarily entertainment.

I don't fully believe in ghosts or general paranormal stuff because most of the evidence does seem made up at worst, or misinterpreted at best. But there may be some genuinely weird stuff among the bullcrap. I definitely leave open the possibility of there being strange, yet to be defined bits of the universe out there.

• Options
    watching the rerun I totally forgot they ask the ghost to close the door and then it slams shut

a camera is pointed in the direction of the other side of the door so it didn't appear staged

I've personally been attacked by a ghost so I'm far from a skeptic but I totally respect anyone who doesn't have any reason to take this stuff seriously

• Options
    I used to love watching the Ghost Hunters, that pair of dudes that worked for Roto-Rooter. Wife wife and I had a standing date back when we first met to watch that every week. Fake or not they were so authentically enthusiastic about it, and especially in the early seasons they did a lot of debunking, which was pretty cool.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    My g-g-ghostly encounter has since been retconned into another paranormal event, so that's pretty cool too.

When I was a babbar on vacation in Ireland, I was playing outside in the rain with a pile of bricks, building a structurally unsound domicile, when all of a sudden a glowing blue orb appeared and floated towards me. I lost my shit and ran into the house, told my parents who said that's nice and told me to play some Sonic, which I did.

I thought it was a ghost for years... up til I learned about Ball Lightning and decided it was that instead. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I've personally been attacked by a ghost so I'm far from a skeptic

can you tell this story?

• Options
    All the "paranormal" shit I've experienced since puberty, and during the most stressful periods of my life, yeah it's all in my head and largely due to sleep disorders and just, my mind being able to have waking rem sleep or whatever.

The scary part is how narrative driven and consistent it was. Thanks a bunch, my dick subconscious.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You wanna hear some creepy shit, ask stories of people that worked night security at the old Seattle Underground. There's a reason their turnover is so high, and it's not because the pay or benefits are bad.