As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith] Rocksmith Plus more money

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    The DLC for August 14th, 2018 is Blues Song Pack II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0n9NNOawI

“One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer” by John Lee Hooker – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Back Door Man” by Willie Dixon – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass; Open D – Alt Rhythm
    “West Coast Blues” by Wes Montgomery – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass

First off, I'm glad they went with the John Lee Hooker version instead of the George Thorogood one that gets too much airplay. Not that I would have minded the Amos Milburn original. West Coast Blues has much more of a jazz sound to it. Oddly enough, for the highest difficulty level for the guitar work in this pack, the bass lines seemed to be the most straight forward. Back Door Man also with with neither the original nor the most popular version of the song.

Looks like I'll have to get my input cable sorted out this week so I can pick up this pack.

Also...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for August 14th, 2018 is Blues Song Pack II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0n9NNOawI

“One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer” by John Lee Hooker – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Back Door Man” by Willie Dixon – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass; Open D – Alt Rhythm
    “West Coast Blues” by Wes Montgomery – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass

First off, I'm glad they went with the John Lee Hooker version instead of the George Thorogood one that gets too much airplay. Not that I would have minded the Amos Milburn original. West Coast Blues has much more of a jazz sound to it. Oddly enough, for the highest difficulty level for the guitar work in this pack, the bass lines seemed to be the most straight forward. Back Door Man also with with neither the original nor the most popular version of the song.

Looks like I'll have to get my input cable sorted out this week so I can pick up this pack.

Also...

Man, West Coast Blues lead was hard. Nothing too terribly difficult just to look at it, but relatively fast note runs, many using unfamiliar scale forms, and jumping up & down the neck. (Which probably makes it exactly the song I really should dig into.)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    "1B, 1S, 1B!!!"

"not the Thorogood version"

sadface

Though honestly, it would probably be pretty boring to play for like 80% of it. I still really like the song.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Oh shit, Wes Montgomery!

...he shouldn't be in a blues pack though.

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »
    Oh shit, Wes Montgomery!

...he shouldn't be in a blues pack though.

There was some discussion about that on the FB post, and Rocksmith said that the song is at least using classic 12-bar blues structure (which felt true when I was playing it), which is how they justified including it.

• Options
    The DLC for August 21, 2018 is Silverstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StuzoEM9FKk

“Smile In Your Sleep” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Smashed Into Pieces – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Bleeds No More” – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “My Heroine” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Alt Rhythm/Bass
    Silverstein is a Canadian rock band from Burlington, Ontario that formed in 2000. Their band name is a reference to the famous children's author Shel Silverstein, whom the band had admired and read the stories of as children.[1] They have released a total of eight studio albums, three EPs, a compilation album and a live DVD/CD.

Some of those songs look fun to play, though I was a bit confused by having like ten frets lit up at once. Do we need to get a close friend or two to stand behind us while playing?

That said, I really, really dislike screamo so this one is a hard pass for me. Hope some of you enjoy it.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Yeah, hard pass. Oh, well.

Oh a happier note, on a whim I booted up the original RS a little bit ago and it actually downloaded my Steam cloud save from like 2013! So now I can go in and play Sunshine of your Love (badly) without having to replay through all of the training modes, etc., to unlock it!

And I'm reminded again that there are features about the original RS that I kind of miss -- putting together multiple songs in a "concert", e.g., and the way that after you finish a track, it plays it back with your actual playing overlaid on it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, not my thing overall, though there are parts of the songs that I enjoy.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I finally got Rocksmith for PS4! Along with a cheap BC strat ($50 at pawn shop) and real tone cable ($30) and a few songs (mostly surf rock). I played violin and viola many many moons ago, and have been getting into keyboards again, so I have a very basic music background, but really a beginner at guitar.

I like how it treats you as a beginner when learning songs just giving you a few notes at first. I've also started a few of the lessons and Guitarcade games. There's still a huge hill to climb but I'm pretty excited to finally dive into guitar playing, and Rocksmith seems like a great learning tool

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Speaking of beginner stuff, is there a way to turn on chord changes or fingerings?

I'm a longtime musician, so I get scales, and I understand chord shapes theoretically. But I don't have the muscle memory down, and it would help if an upcoming section would tell me what shape to make with my hand before playing an arpeggio or whatever.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Spicy Like FlourSpicy Like Flour Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Speaking of beginner stuff, is there a way to turn on chord changes or fingerings?

I'm a longtime musician, so I get scales, and I understand chord shapes theoretically. But I don't have the muscle memory down, and it would help if an upcoming section would tell me what shape to make with my hand before playing an arpeggio or whatever.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but when chords come up there are numbers that will tell you to put which finger where

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but when chords come up there are numbers that will tell you to put which finger where

Also when you select a song you can look at its chord book before playing.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

I'd like that, but more ubiquitous, like a heads up for each chord change.
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Also when you select a song you can look at its chord book before playing.

Hmm, that's not quite what I'm looking for, but it's definitely in the right neighborhood. Thank you!

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    What makes it a bit difficult, chord wise, is it starts with single notes and if you don’t pay attention to their suggested fingering then when they throw the full chords at you you have to relearn the fingering all over. A lot of the single notes in a chord shape throw me at higher difficulty Due to this. I should just go into the slowdown mode and practice the chord changes.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    What makes it a bit difficult, chord wise, is it starts with single notes and if you don’t pay attention to their suggested fingering then when they throw the full chords at you you have to relearn the fingering all over. A lot of the single notes in a chord shape throw me at higher difficulty Due to this. I should just go into the slowdown mode and practice the chord changes.

There's a lot of little UI things that aren't really covered that well. Here is a bunch of them:

https://imgur.com/a/vlxTS#OSh53X4

There's also an indicator of when you can leave fingers where they are for the next chord, but I can't remember exactly what it looks like (maybe a number with a filled in white icon?).

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I've been playing more Rocksmith and picked up a few more songs (Pixies, Dylan and Bowie; 'Man Who Sold The World' always reminds me now of MGSV) as well as tried Session Mode for the first time which is really fun to play even for a guitar noob like me with the note suggestions. I havent even dived into the Tone Designer yet, but I noticed when you buy DLC songs they come with Authentic Tones (which makes me want some Pink Floyd DLC). I still haven't learned chords or finger techniques like sliding yet; the lessons and Guitarcade games seem like good practice for them though (I'm at about a 2/10 right now)
    https://youtu.be/B1q5G3rJEW8

Zavian on
  • Options
    Spicy Like FlourSpicy Like Flour Registered User regular
    the guitarcade games are great for practicing techniques

• Options
    edited August 2018
    If you want a resource for learning/practice outside of Rocksmith, I can recommend this site: https://www.justinguitar.com/

I also personally like Ben Eller and Steve Stine on YouTube.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    If you want a resource for learning/practice outside of Rocksmith, I can recommend this site: https://www.justinguitar.com/

The hardest part for me is ergonomics. I know my modes and scales and chords, but how the fuck do you not end every session with discomfort in your wrist and shoulder???

Are there any resources that cover those kinds of basics?

• Options
    the guitarcade games are great for practicing techniques

My one problem with the guitarcade games is that most (all?) of them don't actually use the note highway from the main game.

• Options

The hardest part for me is ergonomics. I know my modes and scales and chords, but how the fuck do you not end every session with discomfort in your wrist and shoulder???

Are there any resources that cover those kinds of basics?

I have seen a good video on that, but for the life of me can't remember who it was by. The gist of it is you want to make sure you have good posture and that you keep your shoulders, arms, elbows, and wrists as loose as possible. It's also a good idea to do some stretches and warm ups before playing. Here's some good ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XsLRQFV7rY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeraH8-UpE0

• Options

Yeah, it's got at least two songs that I will definitely want, so I'll probably just grab the whole thing on general principles.

• Options
    I really like every song in that pack, but it remains to be seen if they're all fun to play.

• Options
    And I just actually played a full concert in RS1 -- YYZ, Sunshine of Your Love and Red Barchetta. And did reasonably well, too. And then it dropped me into an encore: Titus Andronicus' A More Perfect Union. In master (i.e. no visible notes whatsoever) mode. At which point I hit ESC and quit right out of it -- not that it's not a fun song that I've played more than once, but certainly nothing I'm going to even attempt from memory.

• Options
    The DLC for August 28th, 2018 is Variety Pack XVII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMCmY3Kbu0

“Changes” by David Bowie – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Movies” by Alien Ant Farm – E Standard – Lead/Bass
    “Stay (I Missed You)” by Lisa Loeb – E Standard – Bass; Capo Required - Lead/Rhythm
    “Touch Of Grey” by Grateful Dead – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Another lower difficulty pack, but one that should have fairly wide appeal. I mentioned that there was a Lisa Loeb song to a friend and heard, "Oh, I love Stay. That's all I know though." I'm pretty sure 95% of people who like that song will have the same reaction.

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    an_alt wrote: »
    The DLC for August 28th, 2018 is Variety Pack XVII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXMCmY3Kbu0

“Changes” by David Bowie – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Movies” by Alien Ant Farm – E Standard – Lead/Bass
    “Stay (I Missed You)” by Lisa Loeb – E Standard – Bass; Capo Required - Lead/Rhythm
    “Touch Of Grey” by Grateful Dead – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

Another lower difficulty pack, but one that should have fairly wide appeal. I mentioned that there was a Lisa Loeb song to a friend and heard, "Oh, I love Stay. That's all I know though." I'm pretty sure 95% of people who like that song will have the same reaction.

Picked it up and had fun with the leads on Changes & Touch of Grey; will get to the other two sooner or later.

• Options
    "Touch of Grey" will always make me think of this:

achewood_poster_NEO-STRB-022808_larger_1357919165_1024x1024.png

• Options
    "Touch of Grey" will always make me think of this:

achewood_poster_NEO-STRB-022808_larger_1357919165_1024x1024.png

Harsh but fair.

• Options
    This week: Kelly Clarkson.

“Since U Been Gone” – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Behind These Hazel Eyes” – E Standard – Rhythm/Bass; Capo Required - Lead
    “My Life Would Suck Without You” – E Standard – Lead/Bass; Capo Required - Rhythm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Puwes2EoF4

Pass for me -- if one of the songs was in a variety pack, I'd probably accept it as part of the whole thing, but nothing I'm going to seek out for its own sake.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    So it appears we're getting "Christian Woman" by Type-O Negative next week. It would be an insta-buy for me because I love that song, but I think it's in B tuning, which eh.... I should just get a 7 string already.

Edit: I wonder if it's the whole song or the shortened version. Hoping for the full song.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yeah, all the Type O Negative stuff is in B. At least I think everything from them is in B. I know the Bloody Kisses album is which is what that track comes from. I keep trying to convince the wife to let me buy a baritone scale 6 string so I can start a Type O Negative cover band but it hasn't worked out so far. Not sure if saying, "but now it's in Rocksmith!" will help either. I'm going to try though.

• Options
    I have my Ibanez strung with .13's, but the action is atrocious on it. It really needs a lot of work. As long as I'm not trying to shred, it should do B well enough. Guess I'll need to get my fingers used to those strings.

• Options
    The DLC for September 11th, 2018 is 90s Mix Song Pack V.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZSC_6HAsu8

“Summer Song” by Joe Satriani – E Standard – Lead/Rhythm/Bass
    “Christian Woman” by Type O Negative – Custom: B Standard – Lead/Rhythm; E Standard - Bass
    “Unsung” by Helmet – Drop D – Lead/Rhythm/Bass

That's 0/3 for me so I'll be leaving this one. The reasons differ, but still a pass. Seriously, B standard?

Pony wrote:
  • Options
    This whole pack is really tempting for me.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I remember rhythm on Summer Song being fun to play. All of Satriani’s lead stuff is still beyond me, though.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Yeah, another pass for me.

They should license some Yngwie Malmsteen so that I'd have an excuse to wedge my puffy, middle-aged body into some leather pants.

• Options
    Just played Christian Woman. Oh yeah, that's the stuff. My Ibanez actually feels really good at B. As far as I can tell, it's the full song at 9:13, so yay. Also, no censors which kind of surprised me.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    That looks like a good pack, but I don't have a guitar set up for B standard. Hell I've stayed away from C Standard stuff in the past for fear that it wouldn't be playable. If I get some time this weekend maybe I'll mess around with the setup on one of em and see if I can make it work.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Yeah, another pass for me.

They should license some Yngwie Malmsteen so that I'd have an excuse to wedge my puffy, middle-aged body into some leather pants.

You don't need an excuse to do that!