As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USMNT: The Next [Soccer] Generation

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    France gonna score 4 goals today, all due to referee decisions

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    VAR penalty, yuck

I dunno, I think it's good they finally added it. That was a pretty egregious handball that got missed. I wish they'd use it more to be honest but that would enrage old school football fans.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    seriously with this shit you idiots

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    man missed the 1st half and holy shit how many people got in?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    man missed the 1st half and holy shit how many people got in?

The French goals were both set pieces (a free kick after a dive that the ref called incorrectly, a penalty after a handball called correctly with VAR), the Croatian goal was a really nice attack and cross.

So far the game's going about as expected, I wanted Croatia to win but I didn't think they really had a chance.

• Options
    wow those last 2 goals

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Holy wow

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    wow that last goal

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    man wtf with the goalkeeping in this wc. I hope someone does a compilation with the Benny Hill song

• Options
    Preeeetty sure the ref's poor position just stopped a Croatia goal, yeesh.

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular

This pass that led to his goal is fucking nuts.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

€70m+ for a goalkeeper is a lot.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Ah, but if you combine it with the price paid for Mo Salah versus what his production last season was actually worth your simply paying Roma 100 million for Salah over tto seasons and getting a keeper for free.

Or at least that's how Liverpool apologists are apparently selling themselves on the idea

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    FB_IMG_1531999709623.thumb.jpg.112cb5400f7e798fb57019a804d99822.jpg

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    If Liverpool win the league next season, no-one will care how much he cost.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I mean, if you compare the cost...

Having a keeper who can catch the ball: €70 mil.
    Having a keeper who can't catch the ball: The Champions League title.

It seems like the better deal.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Liverpool have been in desperate need of a top goalkeeper for fucking yearsssssssss. Helped contribute to them losing the title in 13-14 as well. 70 mill sounds like a lot but the market has been fucking insane since the Neymar transfer and they're paying for a top, top player (top 5 in the world in his position) who is just entering his prime, and he didn't have a buyout clause. Most players who are top 5 in their position basically never go on sale for any reason. Roma wouldn't have let him go without a record breaking fee. This deal makes sense for both sides.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    And people thought €40 million for Ederson was outrageous

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    They were wrong then too, Ederson has been incredible for Man City and played a large part in their record breaking season last season. ESPECIALLY in contrast to Bravo who was pretty terrible for them (which was a mystery, he was pretty decent for Barcelona). Also that was before the Neymar transfer which pretty much immediately inflated all subsequent transfers by a ridiculous amount.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    It hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but it looks like Chelsea are going to break the transfer record for a keeper by signing Kepa Arrizabalaga from Athletic Bilbao

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The same transfer record that was just broken earlier this window by Liverpool. Keepers, so hot right now.

• Options
    well...Karius left his mark.

Man, I'm thinking about following the Italian League this year. I tried following the Bundesliga but I didn't stick with it. It didn't look as technical or fun as La Liga. So, how is Serie A these days? Is Milan still struggling?

• Options
    And it sounds like Courtois will be headed to Real Madrid Thursday.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    well...Karius left his mark.

Man, I'm thinking about following the Italian League this year. I tried following the Bundesliga but I didn't stick with it. It didn't look as technical or fun as La Liga. So, how is Serie A these days? Is Milan still struggling?

Juve is still super strong, Napoli gave them a real hard fight but basically gave up on all other competitions (including CL) to do so and they still didn't win. Plus they lost some of their players and their manager this offseason, and Juve got CR7. In general the league was very competitive for the top 4 though, other than Juve/Napoli, Lazio/Inter/Roma were battling for the remaining 2 spots and were neck and neck almost the whole season.

Milan went through a very troubled ownership drama on top of their on-field stuff. Gattuso has been doing a good job since taking over as caretaker manager and gotten them to a decent level again, but off-field it's very up in the air. I'm not 100% on the details but basically a Chinese businessman (Li Yonghong) bought out Milan but had to borrow deeply to do so and it came to light that he's much less rich/deeper in debt than expected, and very recently defaulted on his loan, so Milan is owned by a investment firm right now. God knows where that will end up.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Juve apart Serie A is a very competitive league.

Napoli, Inter, Lazio and Roma are all very good teams.
    Milan are getting back there and Fiorentina, Sampdoria, Genoa etc. can occasionally give the bigger teams a beating.

And Parma are back, which makes me happy.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    Juve apart Serie A is a very competitive league.

Napoli, Inter, Lazio and Roma are all very good teams.
    Milan are getting back there and Fiorentina, Sampdoria, Genoa etc. can occasionally give the bigger teams a beating.

And Parma are back, which makes me hungry.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    lol thanks. I'm gonna try it for a few weeks see if I stick with it. I wish there weren't so many hoops to go through to watch the Prem.

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Kepa being the most expensive keeper in world football is kind of funny. I think he's very good but I don't think he's at that kind of level, but such is the cost of doing business with Athletic. And such is what happens when you fuck around with getting things sorted like Chelsea have.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options

It's awesome to see Wayne put in this effort on both ends...but what the hell is Orlando's keeper doing?

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Orlando is bad and the game should have never been close. Our offense wasn't operating as smooth as normal.

The defense was as terrible as usual though.

That last minute was a roller coaster. If var would have called that offside it woulda got ugly.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The first time I watched that clip, I completely missed that DC had pulled the keeper.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Won an award at my team post-season drinks tonight

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Follow up: after staying out 'till 2am I was then up again at dawn for the last weekend of Junior football & prizegiving for the 4-6 year olds I've been coaching this season

My head hurts but my heart is about to burst.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Matt Miazga you magnificent bastard.

It only took us two weeks to find the new (deuce)face of the USMNT.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Zlatan scored his 500th.

It is every bit the goal you would expect for that sort of milestone.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    If Liverpool can get through this run of games (Tottenham yesterday, Chelsea and Man City coming up) without dropping points, then this is their season to lose. The fuckers.

United's season finally seems to be gathering momentum, though. We've had a fuckall start to the season but they've at least been playing better than they did in the second half last season.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options