As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Federal Congressional Elections 2018] Tester Wins, AZ/FL Too Close

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Also the GOP is the party that freed the slaves and Democrats are the party of Jim Crow. Again, the world would be simpler if there were a threshold of cognitive dissonance where your head exploded.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Scooter wrote: »
    I didn't see the debate, but among those without that context this definitely sounds like Cruz is supporting Beto now.

To the people who support Ted, this doesn't have the same message it has for the rest of us.

"I mean yeah, why shouldn't police be able to kill unarmed black men, in their own apartments, with impunity? Ted Cruz 2018!"

I mean did you hear they found marijuana?

That guy basically signed his own death warrant!

Vote Cruz! Death to anybody black people who smokes weed!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I know everyone says don't read the comments, but read the comments to that tweet. Not a single one on Cruz's side.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    So here's a website where you can register to vote, etc, but more importantly you can also use it to make a little pixelated version of yourself

https://voterhero.com

CqmLtOs.jpg

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I really should e-mail the link of interesting news stories I come across, during my work breaks at work. I saw two interesting stories that relate to the election.

The first, is that the GOP seems to be coming around on the idea that they lost the messaging war on their shitty tax cuts. I personally think they aren't giving people enough credit. Sure most do a shit job paying attention to what their taxes pay for and idiotically assume that all of it is being pissed away on stupid shit. They do however keep track of what their benefits from it look like compared to others. No fucking way the GOP was going to win a message war here, since everyone can see how disproportionate the benefits where and that the tax cuts primarily benefited the which. Also seems people have caught on that when the finances get dicey, the GOP will always try to cut Social Security and Medicare first.

The second, dealt with Trump's delusions surrounding the midterms and how he is the biggest fucking liability that GOP has to deal with going into the elections. Idiot still thinks there will be a red wave and has surrounded himself with like minded idiots. They are also finding out that Putin's bullshit and the mockery of polling they perpetuated might come back and royally fuck them this year. There is a certain sense of complacency they are starting to see from their base and some of that is a result of "pfft, the polls were wrong, why should I be concerned about how polling is going now." On the Trump being a huge problem side of things, many republicans feel like they are spending too many resource putting out all the fires Trump is causing.

It's actually rather interesting to look at how things are going.

The electorate might not be very favorable for the GOP. Trump is greatly disliked, which is energizing the democratic base and sapping the GOP base. Trump's odious nature might result in a number of women that normally vote republican to pull the lever for a democrat and that could easily doom the GOP. We already knew some Trump voters were going to stay home, not because of discontent, but because Trump is doing what they want, so they'll feel now need to vote this year (this is something that every incumbent has to deal with). This complacent crowd might be bigger this year because they can't be swayed by any polling numbers, since they view Trump's upset win as a validation that polling is pure garbage (completely missing that the polling never said Trump couldn't win, that it was just unlikely. Granted, still possible that Putin's bullshit put him over the finish line).

The things Trump wants to campaign on and that his base eats up with a shit-eating grin, is the kind of stuff that actually hurts the party with voters they need. Republicans would like to campaign on the economy, but that would bring up the shitty tax cuts and they have to make sure it doesn't veer into other touch issues (many issues they don't like are actually popular, even with good chunks of their own base, like min wage and healthcare access.

Democrats are trying a new strategy. They aren't completely writing off rural areas, but also making sure that when they reach out these areas, they do so on the issues where these areas aligned with their traditional base. I think they are getting that people don't want Republican Lite and there are a ton of issues where your traditional conservative rural voters want the same thing as the traditional urban voters. Plus, the GOP wants the exact opposite. Seems to result in a focus more on the pocket book and avoiding trying to line up with these voters on the social end of things (aka talk about jobs & healthcare, but don't try to line up with these guys in regards to Roe V Wade or 2nd Amendment rights. I kind of suspect some of the big wedge issues the GOP goes for aren't that compelling to many voters that vote for them right now (some might make a ton of noise about how they don't like abortion or that gun control violates their rights, but will sacrifice those for a good deal on healthcare and wages.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Apparently Trump will chair the UN Security Council on Iran this coming week.

Anyone want to take the under on this ending badly? Cause it's got Parkland/Helsinki potential.

And it DEFINITELY looks like the Trump Administration needs a distraction from Kavanaugh.

• Options
    Wrong Topic. Duh. Stupid Morgan.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I didn't see the debate, but among those without that context this definitely sounds like Cruz is supporting Beto now.

It speaks volumes that he thinks this is a damaging video clip

Ted Cruz seems to be taking the unusual position of “pro-shooting unarmed black people in their own homes”

It’s a bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off for him

That's not an unusual position for the US.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to watching a decent chunk of the debate this morning. Beto actually did better than I was expecting based on initial reactions in this thread and elsewhere. Cruz is very good at deflecting and strawmanning, which is unfortunately a viable tactic in debates like this, but Beto never took the bait nor did he sink to Cruz’s level, even when it would have been very easy to do so.

Also from a pure optics standpoint, Beto just came off as much more likeable and passionate about what he believes, while Cruz was his typical arrogant self. I genuinely think that’s going to make a bigger impression on voters than people think it will. The ending “true to form” comment was a perfect encapsulation of what an asshole Ted Cruz is, and Beto managed to say as much without actually having to say it. Everyone in the audience and watching at home knew exactly what that comment meant.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    That video of Cruz quoting Beto like what he said is supposed to be bad reminds me of attack ad in Tennessee on Bredeson that Blackburn ran talking about how Bredeson solved a budget crisis with a tax increase.

But they said it in a scary voice because all taxes are bad.

Viskod on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    So here's a website where you can register to vote, etc, but more importantly you can also use it to make a little pixelated version of yourself

https://voterhero.com

CqmLtOs.jpg

So good

Me and my mountain of cats are ready to send in that ballot

0UYniHGl.png

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Why are all the kitties frowning!

3:

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The best part is one of the background options is a pile of nazis.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

3:

Cats really hate voter suppression

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2018

3:

Cause she's standing on a pile of them?

Also, was curious about my local race and found this pretty good article, if anyone is interested in learning about a backwater Washington district race between Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R - Incumbent) and Lisa Brown (D).
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/09/the-republican-leadership-member-most-likely-to-lose/569164/

Also:
    73TB9hc.png?1

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    The best part is one of the background options is a pile of nazis.

And you can punch Hitler. I made mine but dunno how to convert it

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ok im in love

I should have been reading but you know, i can't resist a e s t h e t i c

ZbSk1Sfl.png

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    This is a bloodbath for Beto.

Is it really that bad? Why?

Beto's armed with facts, logic, and reason. Ted's armed with rhetoric, empty promises, and character attacks. The year is 2018.

It's not even close, Ted's running circles around him.

It sadly comes to this:
    Remember the U.S. presidential debates of 2016? Remember how the entire liberal establishment thought Hillary Clinton had won, mainly because she made actual points, rather than shambling around the stage shouting about Muslims? What’s the one line from those debates that everyone remembers now? It’s “Nasty Woman.” What’s the visual? It’s Trump literally skulking around Hillary, dominating her with his body. It’s theatre. And right now the bad actors are winning.

From "No, I Will Not Debate You" by Laurie Penny.

Cruz is using theatrics in a venue that rewards them.

I don't think that's accurate at all though. Clinton didn't win/"win" because she made actual points. Her strategy was to do exactly what she did: demonstrate Trump's complete unfitness for office and general insanity and blatant sexism. Like most of her campaign it was predicated on the idea that Trump was very obviously unacceptable to the american public and so all she had to do was show his true face to america. It just turns out that, no, he wasn't unacceptable. They just nodded their heads along. Her basic assumption that the american people had standards was wrong.

I very much doubt Beto is trying to prove Cruz is a crazy person.

Also Clinton gained in the polls from the debates. It's like claiming a touchdown scored hurt your team because you ended up losing.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    I'm watching the O'Rourke/Cruz debate now, and while I can see why some say Cruz's theatrical poise is better than O'Rourke's, I don't think Cruz necessarily dominates. O'Rourke sounds passionate and for the most part takes ownership of his positions. A couple stumbles so far which Cruz has tried to capitalize on.

"O'Rourke wants more drug use" was a pretty lame attack on Cruz's part. And man, that committed refusal to acknowledge the existence of racism...

Also re: that tweeted video - I am flabbergasted that that is being used to attack O'Rourke. I had no interest in watching the debate until seeing O'Rourke's speech, where sounded passionate and sincere in his opposition to racist police brutality. But I guess that's where we're at today.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

3:

Cats really hate voter suppression

"If you want to see the future of voter suppression, imagine a boot stamping on a kitten face, forever." - George Orwell, kinda. - MorganV.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's pretty great how niche you can get here:

QWx0rHDl.png

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    These are giving me nostalgia for Maplestory. Probably not a good thing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, I approve of this site's variety of options
    -1-1-1-102641306070500012828-101001501-1-10215031308.png

Kaputa on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the pixel art from the Scott Pilgrim game and Mercenary Kings. I know the same guy did both of those. I wonder if he did these? Probably not.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Wooo!!!!!
    jpal3boc9bgh.png

• Options
    And there's a followup to the "Paul Gosar is not working for you" ad that @enlightenedbum posted yesterday.

https://youtu.be/JZD-gIYEJpk

And apparently there's more coming (one of them apparently all but calls him a racist in an upcoming one).

It might not be the most important race, but it's definitely showing something I'm not sure should be shown, but kinda needs to be (as it's an important fucking position he's campaigning for), if he's that far off that six of nine siblings are willing to go on film supporting his opponent.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Gosar is amazing levels of not mad on Twitter.

New York Magazine writer:

• Options
    mmmmm salty, but by all means, continue to draw attention to this Gosar.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I'm exclusively phone posting and didn't want to throw up an image that's way too big, but I feel this avatar really captures my essence.

https://voterhero.com/avatars/-1-10105-112070004-100-11008-1000018-1-1000209000207.png

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Mine pretty much looks exactly like me, because I can fly IRL too
    kh21ebb8j7uj.png

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This is truly the greatest tweet of the election cycle.
    My siblings who chose to film ads against me are all liberal Democrats who hate President Trump. These disgruntled Hillary suppporters are related by blood to me but like leftists everywhere, they put political ideology before family. Stalin would be proud. #Az04 #MAGA2018
    There's a comment below that simply quotes, "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    My siblings who chose to film ads against me are all liberal Democrats who hate President Trump. These disgruntled Hillary suppporters are related by blood to me but like leftists everywhere, they put political ideology before family. Stalin would be proud. #Az04 #MAGA2018
    There's a comment below that simply quotes, "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Sounds like he's the one putting political ideology before family to me.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Spoken famously by Raylan Givens who also hated his family.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Swell voter avatar ho!

azca3e17riyz.png

Also, just remembered that i'm still registered as a Republican, so I think I'll finally get around to changing that!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    78fqpujuxksz.png

I wonder how effective that strategy will be as almost everyone has a person or persons in their family that disagree's with them politically and no one moves an inch.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wonder how much it will affect voter registration / participation to make an internet meme out of it. Because if it works, then hell yeah let's do it every year.

w39X3kh.png

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Swell voter avatar ho!

azca3e17riyz.png

Also, just remembered that i'm still registered as a Republican, so I think I'll finally get around to changing that!

Sometimes it might be more helpful to stay Republican and vote in primaries for the more moderate candidate, if you are in a state where you can only vote in your own party’s primaries.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    We have jungle primaries, which are actually just elections and runoffs, in California

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah, the only tangible effect of being a registered Republican was that every couple years I would get my voter packet in the mail and be like, "Ugh, I should fix that."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Yeah, the only tangible effect of being a registered Republican was that every couple years I would get my voter packet in the mail and be like, "Ugh, I should fix that."

Well, you can also phone your representative (if Republican) and start your message with the powerful words “As a registered Republican in this district...” which might actually get them caring.

This discussion has been closed.