Options

[SCOTUS] Kavanaugh hearings etc - time to get even madder

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Anyone advocating for kicking Manchin, frustration understood, is advocating for McConnell to continue to be in charge of the senate past 2018 and 2020.

He already fucking is if Manchin is going to vote his agenda in for him.

No, he isn’t.

First, ACA repeal.

Second, what comes before the Senate is at least as important as how people vote on what does.

Manchin wasn’t the 50th vote on Kavanaugh.
    No, he was the 51st, saving the VP the trouble of making this look like a highly-struggled-for attempt. Edit - And in case he was the 52nd vote, still, fuck Joe Manchin.

Henroid on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I mean Manchin's an ass but you can't practically get rid of him for six years unless he loses his seat in the next election. And if he loses his seat you're not likely to get another Democratic senator in west virginia for the foreseeable future. (and again it'd literally take six years to get a chance for another one in the future.)

Assuming Manchin wins and runs again in six years, the electorate isn't gonna care. He might get primaried out but it won't be specifically over this.

The person I'm actually disappointed in is Susan Collins. She seems like an actual person and it's disappointing to see her take the easy way out.

I'm not angry, particularly, at either of them. I'm just disappointed, and sad. Now McConnell, Kavanaugh, Grassley, Graham, Trump? Fucking pissssssed. But for most of them that's not exactly a new feeling.

Gundi on
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Anyone advocating for kicking Manchin, frustration understood, is advocating for McConnell to continue to be in charge of the senate past 2018 and 2020.

No, he isn’t.

First, ACA repeal.

Second, what comes before the Senate is at least as important as how people vote on what does.

Yeah he wasn't needed to vote for him and did it anyway because he thinks a rapist anti abortionist is good for the scotus. Fuck Joe Manchin.

Or he's doing it because he thinks it's good for his re-election and he's more interested in the politics than anything and still Fuck Joe Manchin.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Fucking Doug Jones voted against kavanaugh. Manchin did not have an electoral choice. He had a moral one.
    That shit is wild. When Jones declared himself voting against Kavanaugh I thought, "okay the stars aligned and the party is in unison." Fuck me I guess.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

That he was one of the votes for him matters more than where his landed in the sequence of votes.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    I mean Manchin's an ass but you can't practically get rid of him for six years unless he loses his seat in the next election. And if he loses his seat you're not likely to get another Democratic senator in west virginia for the foreseeable future. (and again it'd literally take six years to get a chance for another one in the future.)

Assuming Manchin wins and runs again in six years, the electorate isn't gonna care. He might get primaried out but it won't be specifically over this.

The person I'm actually disappointed in is Susan Collins. She seems like an actual person and it's disappointing to see her take the easy way out.

I'm not angry, particularly, at either of them. I'm just disappointed, and sad. Now McConnell, Kavanaugh, Grassley, Graham, Trump? Fucking pissssssed. But for most of them that's not exactly a new feeling.

I'm kinda the opposite now. I can't be pissed at monsters for being monsters. But for, as you put it, "an actual person" to fail to prevent them from doing monstrous things when that power is in their hands? Yeah, them I can be pissed at.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Doug Jones is a centrist Democrat, not a Republican pretending to be a Democrat like Manchin.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Move on from 2020 speculation. Manchin is not running for office right now.

We're also moving on from "the DNC should do XYZ with their money". If you want to comment on how money is being spent on CURRENT elections, go to the elections thread.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Despite Kavanaugh's personal shittiness, his SCOTUS decisions wouldn't be any different than anyone else on that short list.

We'd still be freaking out about VRA, Roe, and marriage regardless of who it was.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

No, he isn’t.

First, ACA repeal.

Yeah he wasn't needed to vote for him and did it anyway because he thinks a rapist anti abortionist is good for the scotus. Fuck Joe Manchin.

Or he's doing it because he thinks it's good for his re-election and he's more interested in the politics than anything and still Fuck Joe Manchin.

He's up 10 in his election. He legit thinks Kavanaugh is a good fit for SCOTUS. And his constituents will feel the fall out from his bad politicing like they already have with his trump support.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Fucking Doug Jones voted against kavanaugh. Manchin did not have an electoral choice. He had a moral one.
    That shit is wild. When Jones declared himself voting against Kavanaugh I thought, "okay the stars aligned and the party is in unison." Fuck me I guess.

I thought Jones was way more likely to stand up for basic decency than Manchin or Heitkamp.

Good on her though, btw. Given how polling is going there and the Trumpiness of the state, that's a rough vote to make.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

Doug Jones ain't planning on winning another election. He's letting it rip.

Manchin plans on winning another election. This are pretty simple political games that he has been playing for decades. Manchin is going to flip from the party 1 nano second after the vote is secured against the democrats every time because he is from west virginia.

West Virginia, home of a +19 R PVI. Massachusetts it ain't.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Manchin getting heat on DC:

So there's that. At least this whole thing is over.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Despite Kavanaugh's personal shittiness, his SCOTUS decisions wouldn't be any different than anyone else on that short list.

We'd still be freaking out about VRA, Roe, and marriage regardless of who it was.

At least over half the senate wouldn't be all-in on a rapist who lied to their faces.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Kavanaugh just send the signal that wealthy and connected men have droit du seigneur.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

"What goes around comes around."

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Guys no you see Manchin just keeps voting with the GOP on major issues cause he secretly is waiting for the moment he can trumphantly push a Democratic senator into leadership, not because he’s basically a slightly liberal republican who repeatedly goes to bat for the GOP

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options

At least over half the senate wouldn't be all-in on a rapist who lied to their faces.

Well, now we know for sure the Republican Party is the Evil Party. That’s nice, I suppose.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

We're also moving on from "the DNC should do XYZ with their money". If you want to comment on how money is being spent on CURRENT elections, go to the elections thread.
    Can we at least continue to specifically discuss the fallout of his vote for Kavanaugh as the news reports it, as well as sign all our posts "fuck Joe Manchin"?

Fuck Joe Manchin.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Guys no you see Manchin just keeps voting with the GOP on major issues cause he secretly is waiting for the moment he can trumphantly push a Democratic senator into leadership, not because he’s basically a slightly liberal republican who repeatedly goes to bat for the GOP

Manchin isn’t even that. He’s just an artifact of the fact that the GOP absorbtion of the Southern Democrats is taking longer in West Virginia.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Doug Jones is free to be left because Doug Jones knows he has no chance of ever being re-elected.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Can we at least continue to specifically discuss the fallout of his vote for Kavanaugh as the news reports it, as well as sign all our posts "fuck Joe Manchin"?

Fuck Joe Manchin.

You could literally put it in your sig.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

Well, now we know for sure the Republican Party is the Evil Party. That’s nice, I suppose.

I mean

I’m pretty sure we’ve known they were the evil party ever since the Dixiecrats left the Dems over the Civil Rights Act and the GOP said “Come on in!”

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular

It’s both.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Doug Jones is free to be left because Doug Jones knows he has no chance of ever being re-elected.

Incumbency is pretty powerful. I think he's mostly just a guy who believes in fairness and decency.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

Incumbency is pretty powerful. I think he's mostly just a guy who believes in fairness and decency.

I'm not a fan of term limits because if you turn over people too fast, you'll run out of people who want the job and care about it passionately.

That said, putting getting re-elected above the betterment of your constituents is a sign it is time for you to go.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

I mean

I’m pretty sure we’ve known they were the evil party ever since the Dixiecrats left the Dems over the Civil Rights Act and the GOP said “Come on in!”

The trick is getting any of them at all to realize it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

He also probably recognizes that he actually owes a lot to the party for getting him elected in the first place.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Manchin getting heat on DC:

So there's that. At least this whole thing is over.
    Even with the captions I'm having trouble understanding his answers with all the chanting. Not that those people are wrong to chant at him. He said something about not seeing this as a 50/50 vote situation he was stepping into, or something, and I'm just too mad at him to figure he's giving any sort of reasonable response.

• Options
    I really hope we don't have to be subjected to some insultingly smug speech with zero self-awareness from Kavanaugh.

I don't think I could handle it.

• Options

I mean

The trick is getting any of them at all to realize it.

They delight in it.

Have you never heard one of them sneer about “virtue signaling”? They believe no-one is honestly good, only faking it to impress people.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I really hope we don't have to be subjected to some insultingly smug speech with zero self-awareness from Kavanaugh.

I don't think I could handle it.

Trump/huckabee sanders I'm sure has one qued up ready to go. He'll probably fire another shot off at ford as well because when you've already denigrated a sexual assault victim why not kick her again, it makes his numbers go up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    And again I say, what does it matter if Manchin is a Democrat? Yeah, someone here or in another thread said he votes with Dems 70% of the time, but if on every single important vote, he votes with Republicans, then him being a Democrat is a farce.

A lifetime Supreme Court position guides politics and events for decades. There is no way we'll get enough seats in the Senate to impeach Kavanaugh, much less Trump, so he is here to stay.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-rescued-kavanaughs-nomination-by-making-it-about-metoo/

This feels right, which is truly an indictment of the american right atm.

"Republicans saved supreme court nominee by framing his sexual assault as ammo in a culture war" did manage to make me slightly more depressed than I was, which I didn't think was going to be possible really.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

He also probably recognizes that he actually owes a lot to the party for getting him elected in the first place.

You win against some rapists, you lose against some rapists.

I guess.

I don't know. This is god damn absurd.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Manchin’s vote on this depresses Democrats and voters everywhere in every state

We can either continue to pay that “both sides are the same, at least one Dem voted for the rapist” cost that makes everyone everywhere feel like politics doesn’t matter and voting is useless

Or we could primary his ass and have a chance at winning that seat with a Democrat who votes a little more often with us

At this point why not? I’ve defended keeping Manchin but this vote is beyond the fucking pale, for him and every other yes

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    It's definitely indefensible, as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    The party with more members gets the majority which gives you power like what McConnell is using to destroy this country. As well as stuff like who gets chairs and stuff on committees

It’s useful to have him even if he isn’t useful in votes

616610-1.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/republicans-rescued-kavanaughs-nomination-by-making-it-about-metoo/

This feels right, which is truly an indictment of the american right atm.

"Republicans saved supreme court nominee by framing his sexual assault as ammo in a culture war" did manage to make me slightly more depressed than I was, which I didn't think was going to be possible really.

Yeah I'd believe this

'This isn't about SCOTUS, this is about being able to tell women they aren't people' is something I would definitely believe from the American right.

• Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    The party with more members gets the majority which gives you power like what McConnell is using to destroy this country. As well as stuff like who gets chairs and stuff on committees

It’s useful to have him even if he isn’t useful in votes

Useful in some sense, sure. But it feels like a Faustian bargain at times like this.

This discussion has been closed.