As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I think it would have been cooler if they did this:
    They mess up and the Rosa event does not happen. Then, because it is a fixed point, something drastic happens. As a result, they have to cross their own timeline to fix it.

This would have cost too much to do though, but I love it when The Doctor bends the rules.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    There was also that time The Doctor punched a guy because he was racist to Bill Potts.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I somehow missed this the first time around and can’t believe I did.

So awesome :heartbeat:

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I love that face Whittaker does a lot.
    p2lpgrsjqrmf.jpg

Quite enjoying the series and the new direction so far. (Big points to the new titles and literally all the music.) One thing I wasn't keen about with this episode, though:
    I absolutely think that last scene on the bus would've been much more effective without Rise Up. Actually, I think it would've been great without any music.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    That was really great. Loved the Stormcage reference/call-back. So it still exists post Pandorica/Universe reboot. :)

Not so sure about the use of a pop song at the end, although it set a poignant tone for the ending.
    Reminded me too much of how the first season (they stopped doing it after that) of 'Stargate: Universe' did much the same thing and drew some 'Dawson's Creek' comparisons.
    Al_wat wrote: »
    So that rogue time traveler - something tells me that wasn't the last we'll see of him?

When Graham Ryan shot him through time he said "I set it as far back as it would go". Did that mean far into the past or far into the future?
    I think that (head-canon)
    he was probably sent back to the past, maybe the Jurassic or Cretaceous period, since that's where dinosaurs/racism belongs.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Watched the last episode on my bus to work

That was... uncomfortable, but in a "holy shit the 50s were horrible" way as opposed to "holy shit they had no idea how to treat this properly" way, so good

There was some top notch acting from the whole cast - Walsh really sold it, I thought

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yeah, but the Doctor is an alien. That kind of overrides her whiteness.

While of course race wouldn't mean the same thing to Time Lords as it does to us, as a human appearing being passing as human most of the time, her alienness does not override her whiteness, just as it did not override her previous selves' maleness.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    It is a bit jarring that for many of the other historical periods they put on a costume and maybe get a brief spiel about fitting in, but in this episode they just blithely wander out as they are.
    Jingo wrote:
    "Always be a little bit foreign wherever you go, because everyone knows foreigners are a little bit stupid."
    It's not a Doctor Who quote, but it feels applicable. They're dressed oddly, they talk oddly, they don't seem to know how things are done in these here parts, and they get given a little bit of leeway because of that.
    It may not be intentional, but does help them a bit.

I think there's a Poirot line about it, too. He could speak perfect english, but he chooses not to.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Sometimes they dress up, sometimes they don't. Rose didn't put on a costume before she went out into Victorian England, but put one on later.

I've never found it jarring, especially when the time period is relatively near.

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    It is a bit jarring that for many of the other historical periods they put on a costume and maybe get a brief spiel about fitting in, but in this episode they just blithely wander out as they are.

The Doctor and his companions only seem to dress in period clothing when they can be bothered - at least in the post-2005 show. Donna doesn't bother for ancient Pompeii, Rory and Amy are wandering around 16th-century Venice in modern dress, Rose is in period dress when she meets Charles Dickens but not when she meets Queen Victoria, Martha is just in normal clothes for their trip to Elizabethan London, and so on. It seems to be at the whim of the writer/costume team for that episode.

And the Doctor doesn't change outfit very often at all - Ten's footwear being the example most likely to stand out.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Sometimes there's an explanation. Sometimes they're in the wrong time because the Doctor/TARDIS screwed up (Rose was dressed for 1979 when they landed in 1879). Other times it seems like a genuine desire to cosplay, like when Clara wanted to see Robin Hood.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    To be fair if your in a time machine with an infinite closet I would be in period dress constantly. Not when time travelling or anything. Just because.

• Options
    It's mostly down to whether they want to blend in.
    Most of the time they're tourists rather than on a mission.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    That was really great. Loved the Stormcage reference/call-back. So it still exists post Pandorica/Universe reboot. :)

Not so sure about the use of a pop song at the end, although it set a poignant tone for the ending.
    Reminded me too much of how the first season (they stopped doing it after that) of 'Stargate: Universe' did much the same thing and drew some 'Dawson's Creek' comparisons.
    Al_wat wrote: »
    So that rogue time traveler - something tells me that wasn't the last we'll see of him?

When Graham Ryan shot him through time he said "I set it as far back as it would go". Did that mean far into the past or far into the future?
    I think that (head-canon)
    he was probably sent back to the past, maybe the Jurassic or Cretaceous period, since that's where dinosaurs/racism belongs.

I get it’s an old callback but
    I initially misheard it as the name of a certain neo-nazi website. That’s gotta be intentional right?

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like this was another solid episode, and in particular, gave each character something constructive to do and fill out their character at bit more, which was one of the nitpick's I had with the last one.
    I really liked how they had a good balance between "I don't know history, explain who Rosa Parks was" and "I'm a black character, so I must know all about Rosa Parks". Particularly about why Graham knew about the bus driver's name. Also, when Yas was told she was Mexican really hit close to home, since a good friend of mine who is Indian-American how often, especially when she was in college, got a lot of (not good) remarks about being Mexican.

If I had one nitpick, it was with ending scene where it was kinda too much of here, gather 'round class as the Doctor will explain how the story continues. I feel like they should be kinda doing something, or just looking a bit more natural? I guess its easier if its just 1 companion that makes it feel more like a chat, but with an audience of 3, it just seemed a little...awkward, I guess?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    The TARDIS is taking them where they need to go.

The TARDIS can be a pain in the ass.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Yeah, I feel like this was another solid episode, and in particular, gave each character something constructive to do and fill out their character at bit more, which was one of the nitpick's I had with the last one.
    I really liked how they had a good balance between "I don't know history, explain who Rosa Parks was" and "I'm a black character, so I must know all about Rosa Parks". Particularly about why Graham knew about the bus driver's name. Also, when Yas was told she was Mexican really hit close to home, since a good friend of mine who is Indian-American how often, especially when she was in college, got a lot of (not good) remarks about being Mexican.

If I had one nitpick, it was with ending scene where it was kinda too much of here, gather 'round class as the Doctor will explain how the story continues. I feel like they should be kinda doing something, or just looking a bit more natural? I guess its easier if its just 1 companion that makes it feel more like a chat, but with an audience of 3, it just seemed a little...awkward, I guess?

I think one of the reasons for the endcap was because while it's an international franchise, it's still by and for it's home audience.

While a good portion of the first world might know the name, outside of the US there'd be a good portion who don't, or don't know a lot beyond her name.

So why not educate as well, instead of just entertain?

• Options
    I can't stand that big crystal in the console.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

I think one of the reasons for the endcap was because while it's an international franchise, it's still by and for it's home audience.

While a good portion of the first world might know the name, outside of the US there'd be a good portion who don't, or don't know a lot beyond her name.

So why not educate as well, instead of just entertain?

Oh, I have no problem with them educating, all for it in fact, it just felt a bit awkward/artificial about how they went about it. Like they were just kinda standing around. Like the Doctor could be narrating future/past events, while she was messing around with the controls on the TARDIS to get them to the asteroid and have it flow better.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    They mess up and the Rosa event does not happen. Then, because it is a fixed point, something drastic happens. As a result, they have to cross their own timeline to fix it.

This would have cost too much to do though, but I love it when The Doctor bends the rules.

The "finding themselves in an iconic and pivotal moment in history" aspect of the episode made me put on the old Red Dwarf episode Tikka to Ride (S7E1) afterwards. And that's pretty much what happens in that! Only with a different moment in history.
    The assassination of John F Kennedy.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

The "finding themselves in an iconic and pivotal moment in history" aspect of the episode made me put on the old Red Dwarf episode Tikka to Ride (S7E1) afterwards. And that's pretty much what happens in that! Only with a different moment in history.
    The assassination of Jeff K.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

The assassination of Jeff K.

Him too. :+1:

• Options
    edited October 2018

Georgia Tennant is the daughter of The Doctor, The Doctor's Daughter, and The Doctor's Wife.
    edit: And obviously the mother of the Doctor's daughter, too.

klemming on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Sigmund Freud would look at all the potential subtext revolving around that family and go "I am not touching this shit".

The Doctor had a daughter who was played by the daughter of the Doctor, and then got married... and had a daughter.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    klemming wrote: »

Sigmund Freud would look at all the potential subtext revolving around that family and go "I am not touching this shit".

The Doctor had a daughter who was played by the daughter of the Doctor, and then got married to the Doctor... and had a daughter.

FTFY

Jazz on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    I think this episode more or less stuck the landing on the historical sensitivity. The actual plot was pretty iffy though - I’m unclear why the doctor didn’t just lock the time-racist up once she figured out his plan and had to resort to complicated other fixes.

I do think that watching this episode with my 8-yr old kid was almost definitely a parenting fail though. Despite a pre- and post-episode chat about the real Rosa Parks and the fact that there were not time travelers in the real event, I remain very worried about the kid took away from it. Would not be surprised if I get taken aside by the teacher after school tomorrow.

• Options
    rattletrap wrote: »
    I think this episode more or less stuck the landing on the historical sensitivity. The actual plot was pretty iffy though - I’m unclear why the doctor didn’t just lock the time-racist up once she figured out his plan and had to resort to complicated other fixes.

I do think that watching this episode with my 8-yr old kid was almost definitely a parenting fail though. Despite a pre- and post-episode chat about the real Rosa Parks and the fact that there were not time travelers in the real event, I remain very worried about the kid took away from it. Would not be surprised if I get taken aside by the teacher after school tomorrow.

I guess the Doctor and company performed their jobs to perfection then. :wink:

I dunno if I'd be that harsh on your kid. I think kids pick up on more than people in general give them credit for.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The "spooky" double bass every time the bad guy was around was too much for me.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I could have done without the evil music for evil guy. That was just bad. I think this villain was given the least amount of thought possible and is near the bottom of the dr who villain list, but he did do the job of giving the show a reason to have the doctor on that bus during that moment in time. Overall though, I think this was a pretty strong gut punch and a good reminder of just how terrible the past was and why we need to keep fighting to make it better.

There wouldn't happen to be a Who-fan out there that was also an adult or near-adult in Birmingham in the 50s, would there? Reading about their reaction to how the racism was depicted in the show and how close to reality it got would be interesting. Incredibly depressing, sure, but still interesting.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    The "spooky" double bass every time the bad guy was around was too much for me.
    All of the music this episode was unintentionally funny. We miss you Murray Gold :(

• Options
    I don't miss Murray Gold.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Murray's music was fantastic, I don't think it's his fault that it was so frequently mixed so loud in the soundtrack, overpowering dialogue.

I am liking Segun's theme for the Doctor, it's a standout bit of music, but I struggle to latch on to anything else so far.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Murray Gold was good, but after ten years solid, I am beyond ready for a change and I am loving what Segun Akinola is bringing to the table.
    I had really missed the ethereal experimental electronic vibes from earlier incarnations of the show so personally it's wonderful to see a return to that.

• Options
    I’m really appreciating Akinola’s restraint. Gold’s music at times felt like a crutch for some of the writing - like, his music would tell me to feel a particular emotion, whereas Akinola’s music so far is... not sure how to express it, but it’s like it’s giving me space and trusting me to feel it myself.

So if the writing/acting/direction convinces me to feel something, I feel it. I don’t feel nagged into feeling it.
    And that’s probably part of the reason that Rise Up felt so out of place for me in Rosa. It felt like an instruction to feel in a series that has otherwise (three episodes in) let me feel on my own terms.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I would like the new theme to land a little more strongly, I think. It starts and it takes me a second or two to pick up the thread every time. The new titles are lovely, though.

The incidental music is fine, I guess. I honestly haven't noticed it much, which may be a measure of its success or its failure, I dunno. There are no strong identifiable tunes that drive home the feeling of a scene, which was sometimes annoying and sometimes great under Gold.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I was watching the Capaldi episode with the killer robots. It is funny how Doctor Who spaceships look like factories.

Pfft, beats NuTrek, place looks like a brewery crossed with an apple store.
    Because it is. 2009 Trek engine room scenes where all set in a brewery and the whole designe aesthetic was deliberately chosen to resemble an apple store.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    The bad guy.
    Why does she let him walk away? She could have judoed him. It is kind of dumb.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The bad guy.
    Why does she let him walk away? She could have judoed him. It is kind of dumb.
    I'm happy with her not using the Vulcan Nerve PinchVenusian Judo Poke on everyone, it'd get pretty old pretty quick.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I certainly wasn't expecting a Dr Who Quantumn Leap episode.

Was good!

This discussion has been closed.