As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Synagogue Shooting in Pittsburgh October 27 2018

RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
First a couple of updating news sources:
Vox

CNN
Right now details are scarce except that it is known that the shooter is in custody, there are multiple casualties and that police and congregants both are among them.

Please do not turn this into a battle over who is the most anti semitic, please keep it to the event and the motivations of this particular shit head if possible.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
Come Overwatch with meeeee
RedTide on

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    CBS are reporting that four people can be killed.

This is just so awful. I can’t believe shit like this is still happening.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Local CBS has 8.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    n/m

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    Local CBS has 8.

I’d go with that number then. The video is from a while ago, so it’s likely the death toll has risen.

And fuck everything about this.

• Options
    https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/10/27/heavy-police-presence-near-synagogue-in-squirrel-hill/

Suspect a "heavyset white male." Name is Robert Bowers. I have previously seen him reported as being 46 years old.

• Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Someone posted screencaps of his now-deleted facebook page on the reddit thread. Unsure if its kosher to post them here but they're there if you want to look at them. Dude is straight up crazy, like "Trump is a secret servent of the Jewish Illuminati" crazy. Assuming, of course, that it is the man the police have identified.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Someone posted screencaps of his now-deleted facebook page on the reddit thread. Unsure if its cosher to post them here but they're there if you want to look at them. Dude is straight up crazy, like "Trump is a secret servent of the Jewish Illuminati" crazy.

No, do not repost Reddit detective shit here

• Options
    edited October 2018
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Someone posted screencaps of his now-deleted facebook page on the reddit thread. Unsure if its cosher to post them here but they're there if you want to look at them. Dude is straight up crazy, like "Trump is a secret servent of the Jewish Illuminati" crazy.

Indeed, I did not. Edit: and shall not.

Frankiedarling on
  • Options

Indeed, I did not.

You asked if it was kosher, I gave you an answer. Can it with the condescension.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Indeed, I did not.

Don’t describe, relay or report it either. I would think that was obvious.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Y'all are gonna stat finishing each other's sentences soon

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Between this, the dude shooting black people at a grocery store, and the bomber, this is three mass attacks by white supremacists in a week. Shit is out of hand.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    a fucking week of white terrorism, and zero faith that this trend will be turned over by law enforcement

I started this week angry, and it looks like I'm going out of it angry

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »

Indeed, I did not.

Ok. I know better than to post links and shit, I didn't realize discussion of that nature was also unallowed. I'll wait until it's on major news sites.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Indeed, I did not.

Ok. I know better than to post links and shit, I didn't realize discussion of that nature was also unallowed. I'll wait until it's on major news sites.

After what happened with the Boston bombing it's a rabbit hole we don't go down.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm so tired of this. And it makes me feel really sad that I know this isn't the last of it

I think I'm gonna take some water bottles to the university synagogue later

• Options
    CNN

He's the worst and will always be the worst.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Literal victim blaming.

Edit: Video of Trump's comments from Baltimore Sun reporter:

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    IT ISN'T A TEMPLE!

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Yeah it's not like he would have been able to kill any armed security officers.

Oh wait.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    "You should have armed guards at your religious services" sure is an interesting take.

• Options
    A bris?! It happened during a bris?!

Holy fucking shit is the baby okay?!

• Options
    I'm the furthest thing from a mod but does this have to immediately become a Trump twitter thread? :(

CNN and BBC are saying the shooter surrendered and is in custody/at a hospital. That's kinda rare for this sort of thing.

• Options
    Those aren't just Trump tweets. Those are quotes from our white supremacist President reacting to this horrible shooting. They are relevant.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    e: wait for it to be reported at an actual news site instead of one of these smaller ones.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Those aren't just Trump tweets. Those are quotes from our white supremacist President reacting to this horrible shooting. They are relevant.

He has mainstreamed white nationalism to such a degree that many people think anti-Soros conspiracy theories are just ordinary conservatism. Which I guess it is now.

Inkstain82 on
  • Options
    edited October 2018

From The Guardian. The header image on that account was a 1488 picture. Account itself was full of anti-semitism, lately focused on a Jewish organization supporting migrants/refugees.

Gab itself is the Nazi alternative to Twitter. You know, for the 12 Nazis Twitter doesn't tolerate and endorse.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    CNN

Fuck off, god I hate him so much

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was having a good morning... and then.. ugh. :( This makes me sick. Just... all I want to do is hole up and ignore the world until sanity reigns, but I know that is counterproductive.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I slept in and the first thing I see is Trump's victim blaming, which is how I learned that a shooting happened today.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

From The Guardian. The header image on that account was a 1488 picture. Account itself was full of anti-semitism, lately focused on a Jewish organization supporting migrants/refugees.

Gab itself is the Nazi alternative to Twitter. You know, for the 12 Nazis Twitter doesn't tolerate and endorse.

Now that this is confirmed, some details of what was posted, etc. Click here, but obvious warning for what you'll see

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This past week is a wake-up call, or should be one, for all internet sites and services. Peoples' activity on your sites matter. They are warning signs, and law enforcement should regard them as such. Allowing this stuff to get posted and organized normalizes it. It is tacit endorsement.

God I'm so fucking mad.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Squirrel Hill is literally Mister Roger's neighborhood.

... :cry:

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    CNN

...if you need me, I'll be off beating my head against the wall and screaming into the twisted nether.

Apparently we live in a world now where if you get shot, it's your own fault for not being able to fight back, and we should totally have to put armed guards in our places of worship.

He could at least try to appear to have a soul or any sort of empathy in public before he gives the obvious dogwhistle.

I can only imagine the bloody murder he'd be screaming if this had happened at a church instead of a synagogue.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    CNN

...if you need me, I'll be off beating my head against the wall and screaming into the twisted nether.

Apparently we live in a world now where if you get shot, it's your own fault for not being able to fight back, and we should totally have to put armed guards in our places of worship.

He could at least try to appear to have a soul or any sort of empathy in public before he gives the obvious dogwhistle.

I can only imagine the bloody murder he'd be screaming if this had happened at a church instead of a synagogue.

Even the armed guards wouldn't help considering this guy apparently managed to kill three armed police officers who were very ready for him.

• Options
    Where are you reading dead police? I've seen they were shot but no confirmation that they're among the dead.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Where are you reading dead police? I've seen they were shot but no confirmation that they're among the dead.

CNN (at the link in the OP) is reporting that 4 officers are injured but not in critical condition.

They did get shot but it’s unlikely to be fatal.

The same cannot be said of the other victims.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Now that this is confirmed, some details of what was posted, etc. Click here, but obvious warning for what you'll see

His social media postings suggest that he's not a fan of Trump (like somebody else already mentioned, he's not outwardly racist enough) but he is insanely anti-immigrant and his final post before the attack was a reference to this. I'll bet this gets picked up on in the media as a motive. There's been A LOT of anti-immigrant hate for a while and even very recently with the latest caravan from Central America.

Also CNN is reporting that Trump is talking about canceling his rally tonight. So, he'll cancel the rally for a mass shooting but not multiple assassination attempts on his political enemies by his own superfan? That'll go over well.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    CNN

Madican wrote: »
    CNN

Even the armed guards wouldn't help considering this guy apparently managed to kill three armed police officers who were very ready for him.

...just what the hell was this chucklefuck packing, and how'd he get ahold of it?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    CNN

Madican wrote: »
    CNN

...just what the hell was this chucklefuck packing, and how'd he get ahold of it?

NBC News reported that he was armed with an "AR-15-style rifle and multiple handguns", I don't think anyone knows for sure how he acquired them but they sound like legally purchasable firearms