Options

[Destiny 2] Forsaken: Dance Like Nobody's Shooting (At You)

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Dude also has a pet thing that basically
    kills guardians by eating their light

Does no one wonder why we feed Motes of LIGHT into what looks like a Taken gestation chamber? Then we summon ancient Taken to kill us?

Those things aren't motes of light. Its much worse than that. They are actually motes of darkness.

Can you cite a source? In the articles I have read they are referred to as motes of light or simply motes. Would love to get a source. In the meantime, TO ISHTAR COLLECTIVE WE RIDE!

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    My initial impression of the drifter was that his whole persona is an act to make people discount him until he shoots them in the back.

But then I remembered that this is Bungie we're talking about and despite improvements in Forsaken I'm still not convinced the team in charge of cinematics and voice acting has any communication with the people writing the lore entries, so probably the drifter we see in the game is exactly the drifter and he just doesn't match up with who he comes across as in the lore the same way Eris, Ikora, Zavala, etc. don't seem to be the same people in their grimoire cards/lore entries and when we actually see them in-game.

i am absolutely sure someone in a writer's meeting was like

hey i have this cool idea for an edgy new character

and they were like yes this is a good idea

and i get severe second-hand embarrassment about it

Having a guy who got resurrected by the Traveler and immediately hared off to the outer system looking for adventure and using any power he could put his hands on is a pretty cool idea within the space of Destiny history. Said guy ending up being called 'The Drifter' by people who hear about him and occasionally interact with him but don't know him is fine.

Having that guy show up and set up shop in the Tower to get Guardians to harvest Darkness for him is interesting.

Making that guy call himself *edgy voice*The Drifter...brother*/edgy voice* in between cheerfully exhorting you to be a 'bad guy' by doing the same thing you've been doing for the last 5 years is dumb and seems like the usual sort of "this thing someone came up for the back story" to "this guy in the actual game" transition that occurs.
    Like Osiris and Brother Vance.

yeah, i think there could be a cool story there

they just whiffed on it super hard for me by making this dipshit the character it's about

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    like the drifter is as embarrassing a character for me as brother vance turned out to be

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Sources! Ancient Apocalypse Mark:

"Listen. Brothers. I'm doing all this for a reason. Gambit's for a reason. You think I like going out there with you every day? You're all psychos. No. I don't like it. But I do it because there's good reason."

He pulled a Mote of Dark out of his pocket. It glowed coldly. "Think about how many Motes of Light you've collected over your lifetime. A lot, right?"

"I miss my Mythoclast," Joxer said. Drifter could hear the frown in his voice.

"Yeah, you had a Mythoclast! And still the Cabal took the Tower. The Light failed you. Failed me, too."

Drifter held the Mote of Dark up to them. "This, though. It's something special. I made 'em. And you've seen the things you can do when you find even a handful of 'em. Think long and hard about it." Drifter slung the launcher back on his shoulder and turned to leave without looking back.

"Stick with me long enough, and I'll show you what the dark can really do."

He creates Motes of Dark. We collect Motes of Light. The bank perverts or changes them somehow, being a goddamn Taken vat.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

"Listen. Brothers. I'm doing all this for a reason. Gambit's for a reason. You think I like going out there with you every day? You're all psychos. No. I don't like it. But I do it because there's good reason."

He pulled a Mote of Dark out of his pocket. It glowed coldly. "Think about how many Motes of Light you've collected over your lifetime. A lot, right?"

"Yeah, you had a Mythoclast! And still the Cabal took the Tower. The Light failed you. Failed me, too."

Drifter held the Mote of Dark up to them. "This, though. It's something special. I made 'em. And you've seen the things you can do when you find even a handful of 'em. Think long and hard about it." Drifter slung the launcher back on his shoulder and turned to leave without looking back.

He creates Motes of Dark. We collect Motes of Light. The bank perverts or changes them somehow, being a goddamn Taken vat.

You're inferring a lot from one small piece of lore. Nothing in that says we are collecting motes of light for him. And it definitely doesn't imply he is changing them. Other pieces of lore are much more clear. I'll cite some when I'm not phone posting.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Eh, Drifter is a weird skeezy hippie who sees you as an easy mark. Offputting for sure, but it has interesting angles.

Brother Vance is just a pathetic fanboy. Not really any angles there. He's just sad.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

I assumed we were collecting motes of dark created by killing the badguys in Gambit.
    All of the Hive's power comes from their gods, which are fed by killing living beings. Throne worlds are created and expanded through the act of killing.
    When you kill something in Gambit the equipment board Drifter's ship does whatever the Hive gods normally do and condenses the energy of their death into a mote of darkness, which you then obediently pick up and toss into his bank.
    Periodically he bleeds off a little of that energy to open a tear through sword space and let a few Taken into reality.

The staging area on his ship before a Gambit match has the Light-suppressing Darkness creatures trapped in ice one of his Lore entries talks about as well.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I read all his lore already. He states that we collect them for him.

The Titan who owned the ship, sitting next to him, cursed as she tried to align the vessel with the speeding train below.

"This better be worth it," she growled.

"I told you, you'll get twice the rate for Motes in your next Gambit. I'm good for it. Trust." Drifter sat up straight. "Get in close. I'll take care of the rest. Just make sure I get a ride back."

I'm not sure how it's unclear that we collect for him. He also states in another lore piece that the Motes of Dark come from the bank:

Drifter licked his finger and slid it behind a hidden panel on the bank's outer shell to crack the thing open. It unfolded, ejecting a single, compressed Mote.

A Mote of Dark, he called it. He could see it glow despite the shining sun overhead. It was chill to the touch, an effect of the bank. This particular haul was worth a hundred and two singular Motes of Dark. A one-sided slaughter.

We bank motes of light into a container swirling with Taken energies. The bank changes and condenses them. He refers to Motes of Light and Dark separately.

Hiryu02 on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Also, we already know what motes of light look like. We collected them in D1 plenty. They are circular. Just like orbs of light. Shaped very similarly to that which gives us light: the Traveler.

These motes in Gambit are triangular. We've now seen the official "Darkness". What shape were they again?

ObiFett on
  • Options

The Titan who owned the ship, sitting next to him, cursed as she tried to align the vessel with the speeding train below.

"I told you, you'll get twice the rate for Motes in your next Gambit. I'm good for it. Trust." Drifter sat up straight. "Get in close. I'll take care of the rest. Just make sure I get a ride back."

I'm not sure how it's unclear that we collect for him. He also states in another lore piece that the Motes of Dark come from the bank:

Drifter licked his finger and slid it behind a hidden panel on the bank's outer shell to crack the thing open. It unfolded, ejecting a single, compressed Mote.

A Mote of Dark, he called it. He could see it glow despite the shining sun overhead. It was chill to the touch, an effect of the bank. This particular haul was worth a hundred and two singular Motes of Dark. A one-sided slaughter.

We bank motes of light into a container swirling with Taken energies. The bank changes and condenses them. He refers to Motes of Light and Dark separately.

None of that says the things we collect are motes of Light, though. The bank holds motes of Dark. I don't see why you'd assume you're picking up motes of Light that get converted rather than picking up motes of Dark in the first place.

• Options
    edited October 2018

None of that says the things we collect are motes of Light, though. The bank holds motes of Dark. I don't see why you'd assume you're picking up motes of Light that get converted rather than picking up motes of Dark in the first place.

This line isn't him saying that?

"He pulled a Mote of Dark out of his pocket. It glowed coldly. "Think about how many Motes of Light you've collected over your lifetime. A lot, right?"

Are you saying he is drawing a comparison to an item from D1 that doesn't exist in the game in it's original form?

Hiryu02 on
  • Options

"He pulled a Mote of Dark out of his pocket. It glowed coldly. "Think about how many Motes of Light you've collected over your lifetime. A lot, right?"

He's talking about our lives before we met him. How we've been serving the Traveler and the light by collecting motes of light and its essentially gotten us nowhere. He's trying to convince us to instead collect motes of darkness for him.

Quick googling tells me it's even been confirmed by an ingame bounty that those motes in Gambit are motes of darkness.

• Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
  • Options

Are you saying he is drawing a comparison to an item from D1 that doesn't exist in the game in it's original form?

...yes?

The Vanguard wouldn't have anything to do with Darkness or harvesting Motes of Dark. They kicked Toland out of the Tower for messing with Dark energy.
    The Drifter is okay with harnessing Darkness. He's built equipment to condense Motes of Dark. In another Lore thingy someone uses a single Mote of Dark and goes on about how much power they get from it. He's saying, "Think about how many Motes of Light you've collected over the years. How do all of those compare with one Mote of Dark?" to imply Darkness is more powerful than Light.

The motes we collect in Gambit don't look anything like Motes of Light, which have existed since D1 vanilla. They're clearly a new thingy and, at the same time they showed up, here's lore about 'Motes of Dark'. The implication seems obvious.

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular

He's talking about our lives before we met him. How we've been serving the Traveler and the light by collecting motes of light and its essentially gotten us nowhere. He's trying to convince us to instead collect motes of darkness for him.

Quick googling tells me it's even been confirmed by an ingame bounty that those motes in Gambit are motes of darkness.

It's the Malfeasance quest. The step requires collecting "Motes of Darkness."

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    Toasticus wrote: »

You missed the period around the launch of The Taken King when we all tried to convince each other that Mara Sov and/or Eris Morn were actually Savathun.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    The Drifter is a total wackjob who's trying to seem as hip and/or with it as possible. I think I'm going to stick with the theory that this is all a big fancy Xanatos' false-flag operation and h'es just setting up people for The Man with the Golden Gun to knock off.

• Options
    Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    When it comes to armor perks, is the strength of the perk tied to the wording or to the number of weapons it affects? Like, if one perk specifically improves hand cannon handling, another improves small arms handling (including hand cannons), and neither qualify improvement as small or big or whatever, then do both perks have the same strength?

• Options
    Xagar wrote: »
    The Drifter is a total wackjob who's trying to seem as hip and/or with it as possible. I think I'm going to stick with the theory that this is all a big fancy Xanatos' false-flag operation and h'es just setting up people for The Man with the Golden Gun to knock off.

I'm fairly certain he's trying to collect enough Dark energy to bootstrap his own apotheosis into something equivalent to the Hive gods. Probably while believing he's doing it for the good of humanity while making noises like he doesn't care about anybody. Basically the inverse of Ghaul, who tried to steal the Light for himself while pretending it was for the best.

• Options
    SuperRuper wrote: »

It's the Malfeasance quest. The step requires collecting "Motes of Darkness."

Ok that's clear, at least. I looked up other bounties and the comparison is there, but not explicit. He says his "are better".

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Up Job wrote: »
    When it comes to armor perks, is the strength of the perk tied to the wording or to the number of weapons it affects? Like, if one perk specifically improves hand cannon handling, another improves small arms handling (including hand cannons), and neither qualify improvement as small or big or whatever, then do both perks have the same strength?

The exact wording. Slightly -> no prefix -> greatly. Small arms handling is as good as HC handling.

• Options
    maybe the drifter is cayde-7 and it's like multiplicity where every time you make a copy it gets dumber

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The Drifter is Luke Smith, and the Motes of Dank are our tears and microtransactions, and the Bank is like a bar...

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Dayum, that's some dank motes yo

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Needless to say, I sent the whole shipment back to Fenchurch.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gambit is, well, a gambit. A gamble. Seemingly by multiple people at once. That's the point of the name.

Shin Malphur is using Gambit to draw out the Shadows of Yor. The Drifter is up to his own game it seems. No clue what he's gonna get up to with all this darkness. More people are involved potentially with their own ends.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It sounds like the Drifter went a little crazy by being stuck on an ice planet full of Taken for hundreds of years, and not normal taken either but super weird ones we haven't seen before.

The Gambit symbol is a snake, and the few descriptions we get of these other Taken suggest they "slither" around in a snake like manner

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I think this is sorta settled but this bothered me. Arguing about items not in D2 when the next line is:

"I miss my Mythoclast," Joxer said.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    My initial impression of the drifter was that his whole persona is an act to make people discount him until he shoots them in the back.

But then I remembered that this is Bungie we're talking about and despite improvements in Forsaken I'm still not convinced the team in charge of cinematics and voice acting has any communication with the people writing the lore entries, so probably the drifter we see in the game is exactly the drifter and he just doesn't match up with who he comes across as in the lore the same way Eris, Ikora, Zavala, etc. don't seem to be the same people in their grimoire cards/lore entries and when we actually see them in-game.

Having a guy who got resurrected by the Traveler and immediately hared off to the outer system looking for adventure and using any power he could put his hands on is a pretty cool idea within the space of Destiny history. Said guy ending up being called 'The Drifter' by people who hear about him and occasionally interact with him but don't know him is fine.

Having that guy show up and set up shop in the Tower to get Guardians to harvest Darkness for him is interesting.

Making that guy call himself *edgy voice*The Drifter...brother*/edgy voice* in between cheerfully exhorting you to be a 'bad guy' by doing the same thing you've been doing for the last 5 years is dumb and seems like the usual sort of "this thing someone came up for the back story" to "this guy in the actual game" transition that occurs.

Nah. The Drifter as a character actually makes sense. He's buttering you up like a sleazy car salesman. He's encouraging you to abandon your morals.

We haven't been collecting the physical manifestation of darkness itself before. Or sending the enemies of humanity after other guardians.

Like, he's exaggerating how bad we are being but that's the whole point. He's trying to sell you on his ideas so you have his back.

shryke on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Drifter character summary in game: ‘Mathew McConaughey but he likes being a bad guy instead of surfing’

Drifter character summary in lore:
    *charlie from always sunny conspiracy theory meme*

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

Nah. The Drifter as a character actually makes sense. He's buttering you up like a sleazy car salesman. He's encouraging you to abandon your morals.

We haven't been collecting the physical manifestation of darkness itself before. Or sending the enemies of humanity after other guardians.

Like, he's exaggerating how bad we are being but that's the whole point. He's trying to sell you on his ideas so you have his back.

I'm pretty sure that if Shaxx could have cut a deal with Variks to drop random Fallen archon priests in the middle of Crucible matches he'd have totally done it.

The fact that we're gathering up fistfuls of Dark energy is far and away the most morally unsound part of the whole Gambit thing but it's also the one aspect Drifter never calls attention to, which gives me hope that the "he's being obviously sleazy on purpose" interpretation isn't just wishful thinking.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Oh sweet, I managed to take down an ascendant primeval!

Second time I've ever seen 'em.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Awesome! I'll probably see him again while I level up my Titan alt... and we won't kill it because the opposing team is a 4 stack and it's just another normal day in Gambit. :pop:

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Third exotic - The Colony.

3 year 1 exotics I already had so far.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The drifter is also probably more than a little bit insane. Dude has been alive for a really, really long time, and was brought back when guardians were called “Risen” and generally seemed to rule as warlords.

No support structure/organizational framework, a populace that is likely terrified of you as a general rule, the entire planet is overrun with fallen at “full” strength, and the other magic zombies are full on trying to kill you.

The Iron Lords were the exception when they came about, from the sound of it. And several of the prominent ones had to be coerced into the idea in the first place (see: Felwinter)

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Drifter and Gambit are an excuse to start introducing the concept of more Guardians experimentinh with Darkness powers as a way to eventually have our PC able to fight back against the actual Darkness.

Drifter in Lore seems pretty unique and badass. In game representation somewhat less so, although I prefer his "IDGAF" style attitude more than the butchery that befell Osiris amd Vance from their Lore counterparts.

• Options
    SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    Malfeasance get! Took three games to fill up the kill guardians so not too bad. And that's only because the second game had another portal hog trading off with me.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • Options
    Arteen wrote: »

Did you get any loot?

• Options

I'm pretty sure that if Shaxx could have cut a deal with Variks to drop random Fallen archon priests in the middle of Crucible matches he'd have totally done it.

The fact that we're gathering up fistfuls of Dark energy is far and away the most morally unsound part of the whole Gambit thing but it's also the one aspect Drifter never calls attention to, which gives me hope that the "he's being obviously sleazy on purpose" interpretation isn't just wishful thinking.

In the Lore entires he talks about the same, so I think it's a deliberate bit of writing. How well it will be pulled off in game come Joker's Wild? We'll see I guess.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »

Did you get any loot?

Nope.