As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New [Chat] Hold the Pineapple Legos

1919293949597»

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    buddy, they won't even let me fuck the bear

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    You still have games that launch shitty or "unprepared" but for the most part most multiplayer games have realized outside of an activision/blizzard joint, if your launch crashes so will your game.
    I can’t think of a single mmo who didn’t go down during launch despite stress testing.

Well depends on what you mean by MMO. Like the Division had a stable launch, it wasn't a traditional MMO, more like a destiny, both destiny 1 and 2 had stable launches.
    Fair point. I’m thinking EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2

I vaguely recalled SWTOR having a pretty stable launch. Or at least my server.
    I remember it going down early during release but could have been server dependent.
    Also they had like 40 minute to an hour line, to get in, and that is down in my mind.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You still have games that launch shitty or "unprepared" but for the most part most multiplayer games have realized outside of an activision/blizzard joint, if your launch crashes so will your game.
    I can’t think of a single mmo who didn’t go down during launch despite stress testing.

Well depends on what you mean by MMO. Like the Division had a stable launch, it wasn't a traditional MMO, more like a destiny, both destiny 1 and 2 had stable launches.
    Fair point. I’m thinking EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV, SWTOR, GW2

I vaguely recalled SWTOR having a pretty stable launch. Or at least my server.
    I remember it going down early during release but could have been server dependent.

Probably. I got screwed by gamestop on early release. Like I preordered well in advance but never got my early access. I think that was the last PC game I ever preordered from game stop.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elder Scrolls Online had a good launch from a technical point of view. I didn't resub after the free month that it came with but there wasn't any problem logging in or such from what I saw.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Leave that human woman and her boyfriend in peace.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Leave that human woman and her boyfriend bearfriend in peace.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Geth give both of the chat threads to preacher

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I had an interview a week or so ago that made me so angry.

It was a phone interview for a data science job and the guy was asking me questions like "What are the four principles of Object Oriented Programming" and some really detailed questions about statistics formulas that I knew when I was in school but would need to look over my notes to remember now. At some point I was taking some time to think about something and he went "I hope you're not Googling any of this" which really set me off (not literally, I was very polite). First of all, fucking rude. Second of all, if your questions can all be easily answered with a quick Google, they're probably not great interview questions! I'm going to have Google at my job! Ask me questions that make me demonstrate understanding of concepts, not stuff you memorize by rote.

Dude was a statistics PhD so he really cared about the theoretical math behind things, and like....that's not really my job as a data scientist? And if I need them, again, I can just look them up!

I was really excited about that job too, fucking annoying.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2018
    City of Heroes was years ahead of its time in about thirty different ways but it wasn't a Skinner box so it had to die :[

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Geth give both of the chat threads to casual eddy

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    I like "bounced off" a lot. I think it's a very concise and polite way of saying "that thing you like, I don't like it, but I think I just didn't get it, and it's okay that you like it"

This is a really good way of putting it.

But the opposite would be "I bounced on the thing" which sounds... well... :winky:

still works

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    City of Heroes was years ahead of its time in about thirty different ways but it wasn't a Skinner box so it had to die :[
    Also once you got to max level, there wasn't much to do.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    you guys think she fucks the bear tho

Of course not, the bear is obviously gay

My Boyfriend Is a Beard.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    What started the "get the full game early if you pay a bunch more money" trend? I need to know who to hate to death.

Minecraft and Rust are the ones I remember that had a "buy a cheap alpha version to avoid paying lots of money for the full released version"

There were a few free-beta games before that though, none quite as successful as Minecraft and Rust.

I paid, I think, five dollars for Minecraft

It was a thing where you could remove and place textures blocks in this little limited map

Man was it ever fun to be along for the ride and see it grow
    is there a way to track down my original alpha purchase? It’s super expensive now but I deffo bought it for five bucks.

Yes I think. Check their webside, I had to like retrieve it or something like it at least once when they switched how tracking purchases worked.

Edit: if you've played late enough that you now have a mojang account then all you need to do is download the game and play

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    Blameless Cleric" you should drive to Asheville when you visit! We have pretty mountains and coffee shops and hippie stuff!

I'll try to convince my folks!! Right now looking like Dec 7-11

You would be in time to see the Gingerbread House competition! It's pretty insane.

48yf13muzcwu.jpg

Those look like they taste bad.

Most art does

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    zepherin wrote: »

Tbh I feel like that's true of every game. Endless novelty is an illusion.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    any programming language that doesn’t define signed, unsigned, float, and int types with their precision right in the typename can screw off. It’s 2018. We already figured out that using floats for everything is shit, that having to include the word “signed” is terrible, that only having signed types is real bad, and that not specifying the type capacity in the name of a type is a disaster waiting to happen.

If I see “unsigned short” or “long long” in new code or a new language standard, I will consume an innocent soul.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Look at this amazing complex cake that someone made that almost certainly tastes absolutely terrible!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

I don't think geth has ever given me a chat thread

• Options
    Beer sales close at 20:00 weekdays

I rolled up to the counter with a sixpack at 19:59

The guy ahead of me packing his groceries stopped to express that he was very impressed with that ice cold timing

I went damn straight, although in my head I was like oh yeah, maybe I should have checked how long the bus would take

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    whoa, trader joes has these ginger chunk cookies that are like tates but instead of chocolate chips they’re ginger chunks

poo
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

The guy ahead of me packing his groceries stopped to express that he was very impressed with that ice cold timing

I went damn straight, although in my head I was like oh yeah, maybe I should have checked how long the bus would take

Wait, why?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Hello I am from the Make A Wish Foundation and I can make your dream come true.

• Options
    If you ask your data scientist candidate to tell you the four principles of OOP or make them write a program that determines the overlapping area of two rectangles (and then complain it's not efficient enough when they do it) you can honestly just fuck right off.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    “half”, “float”, and “double” have never been ambiguous so I’ll let them off the hook but I would strongly prefer Float16, Float32, and Float64

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Honestly more games should just seek to engage people some times, and not dominate their lives. But that doesn't wow share holders who are becoming increasingly unhinged.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

Hello I am from the Make A Wish Foundation and I can make your dream come true.

But Casual Eddy isn't dying. Unless...

:O

RIP Casual Eddy

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VishNub wrote: »

Wait, why?

So that we don't drink ourselves to death, more or less

That's selling from stores, mind, not serving at a bar

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Wait didn't the Division have a super messed up launch? Like not servers going down, but non-instanced in-game machine that all players need to use to do something critical resulting in like thousands of players all huddled around this one spot and waiting in line for their turn?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Honestly more games should just seek to engage people some times, and not dominate their lives. But that doesn't wow share holders who are becoming increasingly unhinged.

There is a reason my favorite games of the last few years have generally been short enough that I can't burn out on them due to all the endless content that is mostly not good.

• Options
    20:00 beer, 18:00 on saturdays (day before holidays, sundays are holidays)

Wine and hard liquor, which can only be purchased at the wine monopoly, 18:00 (15:00)

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was speeding through space at warp 1.9

@Preacher will create the new thread
    @Preacher is backup

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Someone in SE said they've racked up 6500 hours in Warframe and my stomach lurched.

Not because it's Warframe, which I'm sure is a perfectly fine game, but just the idea of doing any one thing for that long makes me ill. That's 65% of the way toward being an accomplished musician. It's hundreds of books or films or even just other video games Jesus Christ

Jacobkosh on
This discussion has been closed.