Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »
    NotYou wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    There is literally NO WAY that pokemon movie can actually work.

Roger Rabbit sends its regards.

And... okay, literally no other cartoon-in-live-action movie has worked since Roger Rabbit. But this one might?

Space Jam is an atrocity unto the lord

Fixed. I have no idea why you pesky millennials somehow love that movie.

Oh man, I really wish I was a millennial :lol:

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What about Cool World?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    No. Roger Rabbit is basically the complete list. Its super hard to make animation and live action work together

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    What about Cool World?

yes

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    What about Cool World?

Let's just say you should probably rewatch it before passing modern judgment.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    "Space Jam is an atrocity unto the lord"

Fixed. I have no idea why you pesky millennials somehow love that movie.

you have no idea...
    https://youtu.be/pXEX_VUI-E0

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What about Cool World?

Let's just say you should probably rewatch it before passing modern judgment.

no.

I rewatched Thunder Cats. Never again will I revisit my childhood.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    No. Roger Rabbit is basically the complete list. Its super hard to make animation and live action work together

Mary Poppins. Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Mary Poppins. Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

That section is fun, but its short... and its not particularly good

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

Not because its live action, but because its a 'gritty live action remake' of a beloved animated property which ISNT playing that 100% for laughs. Roger Rabbit was a unique comedy property, where the nature of the universe and the people in it was a fundamental part of the script working. Pokemon barely works in the cartoon, let alone in a movie.

Pokemon move = OK...
    But live action = Errr...
    But gritty = Oh god no...
    And not a complete comedy = Assured failure
    Add some kind of Ryan Reynolds magic = Works again somehow

It might help that there is, in fact, a Detective Pikachu game for the 3DS.

One which basically follows the same outline of the trailer; Boy's detective father goes missing after car crash, Boy finds talking Pikachu that completely subverts the traditional image of Pikachu in a way adults would find hilarious, and they start solving crimes together.

Also, how can you watch a trailer that's backed by "So Happy Together" and not think it's going to be comedic?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Detective Pikachu holy shit. A depiction of Pokemon I have fantasized about since my childhood and it actually looks like a halfway decent movie. I get that AND Godzilla: King of the Monsters in the same month!? I need to figure out what god I have pleased so I can pray to them.

I just realized that month is May so now I can't help but call it Monstrous May.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Not because its live action, but because its a 'gritty live action remake' of a beloved animated property which ISNT playing that 100% for laughs. Roger Rabbit was a unique comedy property, where the nature of the universe and the people in it was a fundamental part of the script working. Pokemon barely works in the cartoon, let alone in a movie.

Pokemon move = OK...
    But live action = Errr...
    But gritty = Oh god no...
    And not a complete comedy = Assured failure
    Add some kind of Ryan Reynolds magic = Works again somehow

It might help that there is, in fact, a Detective Pikachu game for the 3DS.

One which basically follows the same outline of the trailer; Boy's detective father goes missing after car crash, Boy finds talking Pikachu that completely subverts the traditional image of Pikachu in a way adults would find hilarious, and they start solving crimes together.

Also, how can you watch a trailer that's backed by "So Happy Together" and not think it's going to be comedic?

"Not completely comic" is what I said. So sure, its clearly a bit tongue in cheek, but its not going to try and be 'Making fun of Gritty live action reboots" the movie.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Gene Kelly and Jerry, Anchors Aweigh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Okay so I am going to have to go for "my god, what a racist you are" award and ask the obvious question: Is Justice Smith(the human lead character) related to Will Smith?

...I am sorry... Its just that... Will Smith is very supportive of his kids... (also he kind of looks like him... not that all black look alike to me... only certain types...) I am soooorrrry.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Okay so I am going to have to go for "my god, what a racist you are" award and ask the obvious question: Is Justice Smith(the human lead character) related to Will Smith?

...I am sorry... Its just that... Will Smith is very supportive of his kids... (also he kind of looks like him... not that all black look alike to me... only certain types...) I am soooorrrry.

Sorry Kipling217, you've just won our 'Racist of the day' award. He is unrelated.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Sorry Kipling217, you've just won our 'Racist of the day' award. He is unrelated.

Nah I had to ask in chat, such is my fear of wanting to watch a movie with a Will Smith progeny in it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Nah I had to ask in chat, such is my fear of wanting to watch a movie with a Will Smith progeny in it.

A split decision for 11/12/2018! Tune back in tomorrow to see who wins then!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I always remember the Smith children because they named their kids after themselves. Willow (Will) and Jaden (Jada). Though a quick spellcheck in Wikipedia reveals to me that Mr. Smith has a third child, Trey, that I was unaware of.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I always remember the Smith children because they named their kids after themselves. Willow (Will) and Jaden (Jada). Though a quick spellcheck in Wikipedia reveals to me that Mr. Smith has a third child, Trey, that I was unaware of.

Now to find out if they have a close friend named Trevor, at which point things start getting unconventional.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    See, I knew there was a third Smith Progeny!

Though checking it out, Trey is from an earlier relationship, which is probably why he isn't so well known. Poor guy doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page.... Apparently he is named Willard smith the 3rd, hence "Trey".

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Wait will smith's real first name is Willard? THE FUCK!?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    See, I knew there was a third Smith Progeny!

Though checking it out, Trey is from an earlier relationship, which is probably why he isn't so well known. Poor guy doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page.... Apparently he is named Willard smith the 3rd, hence "Trey".

Trey is actually his first son, from before Jada.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Wait will smith's real first name is Willard? THE FUCK!?

Wouldn't you go by Will?

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I wonder if he ever owned any rats.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/ee12SvnnrSw

I feel this movie is very autobiographical.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I don't give a crap about pokemon normally, but that Detective Pikachu trailer has me pretty pumped. I don't know why, probably because of Ryan Reynolds and because it's so off the wall.
    Detective Pikachu in short form:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU3BiUMUkc4

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I was on the fence about the Detective Pikachu trailer until the interrogation scene

Now I'm 100% on board

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I'm still a bit bummed Danny Devito isn't voicing Pikachu but that trailer does look fun so I'll probably get over it eventually.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I'm still a bit bummed Danny Devito isn't voicing Pikachu but that trailer does look fun so I'll probably get over it eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_44fh_xrpE

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_44fh_xrpE

I was expecting to hear this where the girl talked to him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us5MGEL5W34

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    If they can pull off that Detective Pikachu movie (which it looks like they're gonna) that movie is going to set the world on fire.

Like, that is going to be the start of a major motion picture Pokemon series that is going to print more money than a money-printing pokemon.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/ee12SvnnrSw

I feel this movie is very autobiographical.

I winced when I saw Vice as one of the production companies, and then lost all interest when it showed it's by Harmony Korine.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Surprise! Another Toy Story 4 trailer, featuring the reunion of Key and Peele.

https://youtu.be/nQk7DWW4mz8

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    That trailer makes me hopeful. But I'm going to have to hold my nose supporting anything Tim Allen is in.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Slightly different Spiderverse trailer

https://youtu.be/62er1sB2Ttg

And this continues to be just the most uncannily creepy looking thing ever

https://youtu.be/U3D2vmWD88w

honovere on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold up for a sec.

Is Detective Pikachu a trailer for a real movie?

I just thought it was one of those fake trailers people sometimes do with Ryan Reynolds in it!

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I was really hoping that they would go with the same voice actor as they did for the 3DS game, but Deadpool Pikachu actually bizarrely kind of works.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    A LIVE ACTION

DETECTIVE PIKACHU

FEATURING RYAN REYNOLDS

Reality has broken me.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    A LIVE ACTION

DETECTIVE PIKACHU

FEATURING RYAN REYNOLDS

Reality has broken me.
    We live in the strangest darkest time-line, in a reality written by hacks. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.