As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Foreign Policy] Talk about the Foreign Policy of the United States

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Abe knows how to suck up to Trump.

NBC reporter:

I would like to congratulate you on the enormity of your success.

Abe is trolling.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

NBC reporter:

I'd like to think the Japanese state department came up with that as a nothingburger for him to throw trump's way so that he doesn't actually have to complement him.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

NBC reporter:

That seems more like a "bless your heart" southern compliment than anything.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Is this Japanese sarcasm?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Is this Japanese sarcasm?

It's very subtle, isn't it?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    That's gotta be shade right. That's international diplomacy shade right there right?

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    That's gotta be shade right. That's international diplomacy shade right there right?

Unlikely. Abe has been on a charm offensive with Trump ever since his election. Abe desperately needs input into any Korean negotiations. Japan does not want to see a unified Korea on their doorstep, especially one without US involvement/management.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Unlikely. Abe has been on a charm offensive with Trump ever since his election. Abe desperately needs input into any Korean negotiations. Japan does not want to see a unified Korea on their doorstep, especially one without US involvement/management.

Yeah, unlike certain other world leaders, Abe has more important things to accomplish than scoring points in the form of sarcastic comments about his diplomatic allies.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »

Yeah, unlike certain other world leaders, Abe has more important things to accomplish than scoring points in the form of sarcastic comments about his diplomatic allies.

Abe is also a militaristic right wing nationalist.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

NBC reporter:

I’d love to see what Theresa May’s expression was like at that moment, given she called Trump to say the same thing, caught him at a bad time and got berated by him instead.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

Abe is also a Trump style right winger himself, isn't he?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Trump-style isn't really true but yeah he's kissing ass, it just so happens that our president is a smooth-brained moron.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    And the Bad Optics 2018 award goes to...

Yes, that would be Trump “exchanging pleasantries” with Crown Prince Mohammad Bin Salman, the guy the CIA say arranged Khashoggi’s brutal murder, while Ivanka (who is there for some reason) looks on and Mnuchin chuckles.

Elizabeth Landers is a CNN Congressional reporter and producer.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    :whistle:
    It’s not NAFTA it’s the U S M C A!
    It’s not NAFTA it’s the U S M C A!
    It’s the greatest of deals for you to enjoy!
    It’s the deal of your president’s choice!
    :whistle:

Donald Trump is the President of the United States. I’ll never get used to typing that.

*edit* I should add the additional explainer that Nieto and Trudeau have heavily emphasized that this is a revised NAFTA deal while Trump is heavily emphasizing that it’s a brand NEW deal that’s nothing to do with NAFTA and it’s all getting just a bit silly.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    From who? (Besides him.)

• Options
    edited December 2018
    From who? (Besides him.)

Trump, Trudeau and Nieto signed a revised version of NAFTA this morning. The full story is on the previous page. It actually has some good bits in it, but it has to pass Congress before it can come into effect.

*edit* Wait you were asking who the REVIEWS were from, weren’t you?

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    I know what it is. Or at least what it's supposed to be. Where are the great reviews?

• Options
    I know what it is. Or at least what it's supposed to be. Where are the great reviews?

I am so slow...

That’s a very good question. I haven’t seen any, although BBC News have a nicely detailed breakdown of the changes.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    From who? (Besides him.)

Trump, Trudeau and Nieto signed a revised version of NAFTA this morning. The full story is on the previous page. It actually has some good bits in it, but it has to pass Congress before it can come into effect.

*edit* Wait you were asking who the REVIEWS were from, weren’t you?

My understanding is that there are some sticking points that may keep the GOP from ratifying it, like explicitly barring child labor and not allowing companies to murder gay people and requiring the acknowledgment that trans people exist.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Funny enough, Canada's biggest network has been calling it the CUSMA in multiple stories over the past few days. If only they had named it something all participants could agree on ...

• Options
    TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    CUSMA rolls off the tongue better that’s for sure. Hopefully it becomes the accepted nomenclature. Canada receiving top billing would be the perfect cherry on top of this stupid sundae.

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

Yeah I think it is possible to spin the election result, doing weird statistic shit and comparisons to previous elections, as somehow technically a win for Trump/GOP. Like some "never before has a President who started the primaries dead last had a midterm where he didn't lose the senate" or whatever. And if anyone could figure one out it would be the Japanese.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Travan wrote: »
    CUSMA rolls off the tongue better that’s for sure. Hopefully it becomes the accepted nomenclature. Canada receiving top billing would be the perfect cherry on top of this stupid sundae.

I think there's something in Canadian law (or at least procedure) that when listing countries Canada always goes first.

So apparently there's 3 versions of the name for this thing, since of course Mexico can't be left out.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

I think there's something in Canadian law (or at least procedure) that when listing countries Canada always goes first.

So apparently there's 3 versions of the name for this thing, since of course Mexico can't be left out.

MCUSA, yo!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    And since Canada also has it in French, we aren't even the US for that part!

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    He's gonna be so pissed when that trade deal dies in Congress.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I legitimately wonder how Trump would react to learning that in French, the US is the EU.
    United States. Etats Unis

TubularLuggage on
  • Options

I legitimately wonder how Trump would react to learning that in French, the US is the EU.

The same insulting way he'd treat Mexico for using EEUU.

• Options
    edited December 2018

The same insulting way he'd treat Mexico for using EEUU.

See, but it would make the US the EU, and he doesn't like the EU, so ... (I know that this would all be lost on him and he would just complain about the US being treated 'unfairly'. But until he actually has his damaged brain reaction, one can dream, right?).
    Edit: Also, as a Canadian, the fact that we have to factor in that the American president is functionally retarded is more than a bit depressing.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    exis wrote: »

Abe is also a militaristic right wing nationalist.

Abe is also a Trump style right winger himself, isn't he?

I am not a Japan expert, but as I understand it, no, not really.

Abe is right-wing on the Japanese political spectrum, but modern Japanese political culture is quite different from America's. For example, ethnonationalism isn't a political issue in Japan, because Japan is incredibly ethnically homogenous already (with several incredibly oppressed indigenous minorities) with extremely strict immigration laws. Both "sides" on the Japanese political spectrum are down with this. Japanese conservatism vs progressivism revolves more around economic issues and societal reform. Partially as a result of Japan's very strict immigration laws, Japan's population has stagnated, with a very large number of old people, like our Boomer generation, but worse due to a lack of immigration bolstering the lower end of the demographic pyramid. Japan's birthrate is also especially low, perhaps due to its extensive urbanization and modernization, at 1.44 births per woman compared to the US's 1.80, but also perhaps due to Japan's extremely rigid societal structure keeping couples apart due to strict cultural mores on how to date and marry and how hard they must work.

These demographic issues have resulted in severe economic issues, which dovetail with the societal structure issues because Japan cannot "activate" more of its workers due to old societal traditions that refuse to die. For example, Japanese working society is extremely sexist; women are not expected to ascend very far up the workplace hierarchy; instead, they work for a while as single women, then they are expected to marry a man, quit their job, and then support the man while the man works very long hours (12+ hours a day). Which, of course, may also be one reason why their birthrate is so low, because the men are working 12+ hours a day and the younger Japanese aren't into arranged marriages any more and who has time to date when you have to work 12+ hours a day. They've been trying to reduce the amount of hours worked per week, but that's had mixed effectiveness, as young employees are continuing to work long hours while older employees are being shifted to work less, so oops. Also employment in Japan is often "for life," so there's a major lack of horizontal labour mobility that might make Japan's economy more efficient.

Wait? What was I talking about again? Oh right, Japanese work culture being very sexist. So, for example, during tea breaks at work, female employees might be expected to serve tea to male employees, even if the female employee outranks the male employee. And if a Japanese woman wants to become a doctor, they might run into shit like this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/08/tokyo-medical-school-admits-changing-results-to-exclude-women

So those are the two biggest issues facing Japan right now, and their politics mostly revolve around how to solve them. As I understand it, Japanese progressives would prefer to focus on social and cultural policies (such as child-rearing subsidies, expanded unemployment insurance, housing allowances, stronger regulations for part-time workers, funding for free public schooling), whereas the conservatives would prefer to focus more on economic and labour policies, like, namely, Abeonomics, Abe's signature policy platform, a set of economic policies that were, it is said, largely why he gained power. In this sense, the Japanese progressives may be said to be more "Trump-like" in rejecting the status quo and trying to transform Japan's extremely conservative culture, whereas Japanese conservatives are more ... well, not Trump-like, in that they're largely interested in preserving the status quo through the use of relatively established, technocratic policies.

Abe's politics are militant and nationalist, but those also need to be seen in the light of Japan officially not having a real military. The Japanese Self-Defense Forces are actually, on paper, quite potent, but Japan is bound by their constitution and various socio-cultural opinions to be a pacifist state. When people say that Abe's a militarist, they mean that Abe wants Japan's military to be legally allowed by the constitution to engage in war. Japan's military is now able to engage in counter-terrorism activities, which they previously were not. Abe has mused about Japan being allowed to have nuclear weapons, which they technically are though nuclear weapons are hugely unpopular among the Japanese public for obvious reasons. The Japanese are now allowed to engage in "collective self-defense" with other Asian allies. Like... that's what we're talking about when we say Abe's a militarist. He's moved the needle, but the needle started about 17 miles away from where the American needle is, so comparing him to Trump and saying they're both "militaristic" is rather fallacious.

Edit: Also, Abe's party, the LDP, have been in power for... I think 19 of the last 22 years and 58 of the last 63 years, if I did my math right, so... like... even if Abe's "conservative," that's kinda just because Japan is "conservative." Relative to the Japanese political spectrum, the LDP would be pretty centrist/status quo, obviously, to maintain power for that long.

- I should say, again, not a Japan expert. There's probably a weeaboo here somewhere who can provide more details/corrections. -

hippofant on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    @hippofant

Dunno man, which China and NK on the back door I would also want some nukes, specially after the incident earlier on the year.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Edit: Also, Abe's party, the LDP, have been in power for... I think 19 of the last 22 years and 58 of the last 63 years, if I did my math right, so... like... even if Abe's "conservative," that's kinda just because Japan is "conservative." Relative to the Japanese political spectrum, the LDP would be pretty centrist/status quo, obviously, to maintain power for that long.

I would say that at this point the LDP primarily benefits from three things:
    1. Malapportionment and FPTP. It's not as bad as it is some other countries (as the Japanese Supreme Court has ruled that it's unconstitutional for any parliamentary district to have more than twice the population of the smallest district) but rural votes are still worth significantly more than urban ones. The LDP won 75% of FPTP seats in 2017 with just over 48% of the vote. The next largest party, with 20% of the vote, won just 6% of FPTP seats.
    2. The LDP, because of their lengthy governance, has managed to secure themselves the place of the safe default. "Don't know who to vote for? Vote for the LDP, at least you can be sure they won't screw things up too badly."
    3. Meanwhile, the opposition parties have absolutely no credibility with the Japanese public at this point. They haven't been able to distance themselves from the failures of the much anticipated DPJ government that was in control from 2009 to 2012. It doesn't help that they keep splitting and reforming, hoping that people won't notice that it's still the same people in charge. Apart from the Communists, the oldest of the top three opposition parties was only formed in October 2017.

That's why when you look at things like the most recent monthly NHK poll on party support, you see that the top three responses were:
    1. "I don't support any party" (40.7%)
    2. LDP (37.4%)
    3. Constitutional Democrats (6.2%)

So even though Abe's approval rating hasn't been over 50% since May of 2017 and the LDP hasn't had a support level much over 40% in at least the last twenty years (that's as far as the NHK poll archive went back), he and the LDP will still win in a landslide whenever the next election is called.

I think that, in his heart, Abe probably is a genuine militarist. He's the scion of the branch of Japanese conservatives that the LDP leadership kicked to the curb in 1960 in favor of safer, more economy-centered conservatives. But it doesn't really matter. He's heavily constrained by other Japanese leaders and popular opinion and the minor changes he's able to implement on security issues still leave the JSDF as the most constrained military outside of, I don't know, Costa Rica.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    The Toronto Star have an amusing article with more details on the conflicting descriptions of and names for I Can't Believe It's Not NAFTA.

Dan Dale is a journalist with the Toronto Star.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    One needs to also factor in that Abe's party refuses to acknowledge any of the atrocities committed by the Japanese during World War II, from keeping it out of history textbooks to complaining about a statue commemorating comfort women in a Chinese-majority neighborhood in California, to badgering the biggest English-language Japanese newspaper to issue this tortured clarification/apology just the other day:

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    One needs to also factor in that Abe's party refuses to acknowledge any of the atrocities committed by the Japanese during World War II, from keeping it out of history textbooks to complaining about a statue commemorating comfort women in a Chinese-majority neighborhood in California, to badgering the biggest English-language Japanese newspaper to issue this tortured clarification/apology just the other day:

JFC that is chilling. That's right up there with the worst of Trump's anti-press crap.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

That I Occupied North Texas levels of linguistic gaslighting.

The comfort women change seems positive, but just enough explanation made it in before the cutoff that I have to think it's suitably disgusting?

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

MCUSA, yo!

Does anyone read that hearing Reiner Wolfcastle yelling "Mendoza!"? Or is it just me?

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Abe's party refuses to acknowledge any of the atrocities committed by the Japanese during World War II

There is certainly a sizeable revisionist faction within the LDP, but this is just not true.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The Toronto Star have an amusing article with more details on the conflicting descriptions of and names for I Can't Believe It's Not NAFTA.

Dan Dale is a journalist with the Toronto Star.

I like the "The chucklefuck has signed it now, so we can call it whatever" subtext

I mean it's not even a subtext really. They're just saying that.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'm relatively sure Abe is just playing the game there. Japan relies on the US for security and Trump is highly mercurial, making decisions on personal whims. Buttering him up will reinforce US commitment to Japan and won't hurt him at home I think.

This discussion has been closed.