As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Voltron: Legendary Defender - Do ya like (Robot) Cats?

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Regarding Adam and Shiro
    In retrospect, it was a very bad idea to unveil the ONE SCENE with the two of them, before the season came out.

Doing that very intentionally created hype for content that was literally nowhere to be found outside of that ONE SCENE. What a load of bullshit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    hot damn there is some incredible animation sequences in season 7

like all of episode 3 is just sublime

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    hot damn there is some incredible animation sequences in season 7

like all of episode 3 is just sublime

Yeah they've had some absolutely amazing animation coming out of 6 and 7

• Options
    edited August 2018
    so uh, we did not expect
    The Atlas to go full Gunbuster

anyway, big controversial thing aside, both the bf and I really loved this season. Excellent writing, just about every episode has incredible animation, the sound and music continues to be mind-blowingly excellent, and I'm left feeling pretty satisfied about every character's arc and excited for the next season to come.

big controversial thing
    yeah they kinda fridged the gay. but I also wasn't expecting Adam and Shiro to kiss and make up, so I kinda wasn't that surprised when he died as part of the last-ditch effort by the Garrison. Shiro being canon queer is still something I greatly appreciate, even if it alone isn't enough to make up for the lack of an actual relationship going on.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    S7E13
    Why hello there Arc Gurren.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Season 7 overall
    After reading a Kotaku headline talking about new pilots I assumed that the Galaxy Garrison crew were being set up as new Paladins, something the season definitely seemed to be setting up. Since I hate spoilers this led to me being stressed throughout the Earth arc, but ultimately relieved when the Paladins survive at the end, so I'll call it even. I did really like just how exhausted the heroes are this season, with the writers cranking up the handicaps that they'd employed throughout the show (The Castle frequently being hobbled comes to mind).

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    S7:
    Finally got caught up a bit before PAX. I know I should have clued it together when they said the lions could be housed inside the Atlas, but the scale of the thing caught me off guard in robot mode. Because godDAMN that fucker was huge.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Im not finished with this season but I gotta say Im touch disappointed with the
    earth arc. Specifically Im a huge fan of the trope of the warweary heros returning home and shocking their old world with how they changed but it felt like they kept knocking the Paladins down a peg in order to make the earth force seem more impressive and man do I not enjoy that trope im reverse it turns out.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    earth arc. Specifically Im a huge fan of the trope of the warweary heros returning home and shocking their old world with how they changed but it felt like they kept knocking the Paladins down a peg in order to make the earth force seem more impressive and man do I not enjoy that trope im reverse it turns out.

I'm sorta similar in thoughts but not in response:
    I kinda liked the idea that the Paladins were so weary and tired and beat down that every step up the Galra threw at them just pushed them further and further into exhaustion to the point that their only out was the help of everyone around them. I've always felt that Voltron:LD is at its best when Voltron and the Paladins aren't winning every battle alone, and so giving the earth force more space to be relevant and important was great to me.

• Options

I kinda liked the idea that the Paladins were so weary and tired and beat down that every step up the Galra threw at them just pushed them further and further into exhaustion to the point that their only out was the help of everyone around them. I've always felt that Voltron:LD is at its best when Voltron and the Paladins aren't winning every battle alone, and so giving the earth force more space to be relevant and important was great to me.

I can appreciate that but
    The Paladins spend a lot of the first couple earth episodes getting told off for all the things they didn't know and that felt like kind of a drag you know? I think they could have made the Earth Forces look useful and competent and make the Paladins look out of their depths and nearly at their breaking point without also(imo) making the Paladins also look a touch incompetent. The earth forces keeping yelling at the Paladins for not knowing how Galra tech and tactics work and they kinda have a point. Shouldn't the Paladins be experts at this? Has Galra military tech changed that much?

Really what I wanted though was more of what we got with Kieth and his previous superior officer except that the SO just knows Kieth is a badass now. I would have liked it if the SO, Lance's sister and Pidge's parents tried to treat each of them like they were still the people they remembered only to be forced to see that they are not. I also didn't like that the Paladins act like they are a part of the Earth Military still.

I've finished it now and it more or less worked out and I really dig the status quo they've set up so its a minor complaint but

Quire.jpg
  • Options

The Paladins spend a lot of the first couple earth episodes getting told off for all the things they didn't know and that felt like kind of a drag you know? I think they could have made the Earth Forces look useful and competent and make the Paladins look out of their depths and nearly at their breaking point without also(imo) making the Paladins also look a touch incompetent. The earth forces keeping yelling at the Paladins for not knowing how Galra tech and tactics work and they kinda have a point. Shouldn't the Paladins be experts at this? Has Galra military tech changed that much?

Really what I wanted though was more of what we got with Kieth and his previous superior officer except that the SO just knows Kieth is a badass now. I would have liked it if the SO, Lance's sister and Pidge's parents tried to treat each of them like they were still the people they remembered only to be forced to see that they are not. I also didn't like that the Paladins act like they are a part of the Earth Military still.

I've finished it now and it more or less worked out and I really dig the status quo they've set up so its a minor complaint but
    Yeah I think the point was that the Paladins are used to big scale stuff, or infiltrating starships, rather than small scale land-based guerrilla warfare. They're amazing at taking out ships and fighters in their lions or as voltron, or big firefights on board Galra ships or the like, but not all this incredibly small-scale stuff.

that and I got the impression the garrison forces were kinda exasperated at having to wait for so long for voltron to arrive, only to find their greatest ally to be exhausted, tired and beat down.

I get you though, the early stuff did go on for a bit longer than needed

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    the early stuff did go on for a bit longer than needed
    Voltron seasons (books? volumes?) in a nutshell.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hmmmm I dunno if I can agree with that

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    There's a fairly convincing theory going around that in order to keep Keith as black paladin, the showrunners gave most of Shiro's role to Keith's dog.

It would certainly explain why Shiro literally stood around and did nothing for 8 episodes.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Yeah I think the point was that the Paladins are used to big scale stuff, or infiltrating starships, rather than small scale land-based guerrilla warfare. They're amazing at taking out ships and fighters in their lions or as voltron, or big firefights on board Galra ships or the like, but not all this incredibly small-scale stuff.

that and I got the impression the garrison forces were kinda exasperated at having to wait for so long for voltron to arrive, only to find their greatest ally to be exhausted, tired and beat down.

I get you though, the early stuff did go on for a bit longer than needed
    I agree with this, except I sort of thought the garrison pilots were also just a bit tired of being the greatest pilots on the planet and still having their boss never shut up about how much greater the Paladins were. That'd get to a person.

But they never really addressed it in the show so :rotate:

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    There's a fairly convincing theory going around that in order to keep Keith as black paladin, the showrunners gave most of Shiro's role to Keith's dog.

It would certainly explain why Shiro literally stood around and did nothing for 8 episodes.

imho Shiro is now
    basically getting most of the role that Allura had prior to becoming a Paladin herself. He's gonna be captain of the Atlas and get to be a big damn hero there all the time.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltUs2qYl1XU

Final season teaser trailer.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Final season actual trailer.

https://youtu.be/-LCNVy7-0Wo

December 14th.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Final season is out!

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I don't have Netflix at the moment so if anyone burns through the last season I'd love to know if they actually address Shiro being gay again before the finale and if they wrote in any kind of new romance for him.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Watched S7 a few weeks ago and the
    Earth defense stuff felt very deeply XCom in a kinda fun way

Only just starting S8 now

• Options
    Episode 2
    Not a fan of the cat death in this episode.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The spoiler about what happens towards the end of the series has a lot of folks pissed

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Episode 2
    Not a fan of the cat death in this episode.

Was it a
    robot cat?

• Options
    The spoiler about what happens towards the end of the series has a lot of folks pissed

You're gonna have to be more specific :razz:

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Real ass spoilers, be warned
    Allura dies so Lance can feel bad about it

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Ah.

Yeah, that's definitely in the top 3 worst things.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I don't have Netflix at the moment so if anyone burns through the last season I'd love to know if they actually address Shiro being gay again before the finale and if they wrote in any kind of new romance for him.
    He gets married to a random background male character we've never met.

I wish I were joking.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

I wish I were joking.
    Isn't he just human bridge guy Iverson with no meaningful characterization? Dunno if that's better or worse.

EDIT: More series-end spoilers
    My knee jerk reaction is I really hate that they killed off Allura. Like, of the core team she has lost the most, she should've had some tiny bit of happiness in the end! That was such a goddamn bummer, man.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    veritastalpaveritastalpa Registered User regular

I don't know what show you were watching, but it apparently wasn't Voltron, because this is wrong.
    She dies using her powers to restore the multiverse that had just been destroyed, and rebuild Alterra for her people.

Lance being sad is like a 5s segment during her saying goodbye to the paladin's after her decision, and has nothing to do with motivating him or anyone else to do anything.

• Options
    edited December 2018

I don't know what show you were watching, but it apparently wasn't Voltron, because this is wrong.
    She dies using her powers to restore the multiverse that had just been destroyed, and rebuild Alterra for her people.

Lance being sad is like a 5s segment during her saying goodbye to the paladin's after her decision, and has nothing to do with motivating him or anyone else to do anything.

No one said anything about motivation.
    Allura has previously been treated as a reward for Lance's character development. Aside from that, the showrunners deciding that the only woman of color on the main cast - who is also one of two survivors of a genocide - should sacrifice herself for the sake of the universe is... not a good look.

Fits well with Voltron's treatment of minority characters in general, though.

I wish I were joking.

Shiro:
    Isn't he just human bridge guy Iverson with no meaningful characterization? Dunno if that's better or worse.
    Neither. Shiro's wedding was tacked on at the last minute in an attempt to appease everyone who was upset about Adam's death. It's the same stupid thing where a wedding used to be the default happy ending for a female character, except since Shiro is a gay man it's supposed to be progressive, somehow?

Also, the only conversation we've ever seen Shiro have with any love interest involved him choosing his dreams of exploring space over his relationship (which the EPs framed, in an interview, as Shiro being selfish and "bad at relationships," as if it weren't Adam giving the ultimatum). So Shiro's "happy ending" being a marriage to Bridge Extra #4 makes no sense on any level, except as a shallow bid to claim LGBT representation.

edit: fixed tags

Calica on
  • Options
    Welp

There's a lot of stuff flying around Twitter confirming what a lot of people suspected, which is that Joaquim dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery destroyed the story out of a mix of jealousy, hubris, and spite.

What a mess.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Welp

There's a lot of stuff flying around Twitter confirming what a lot of people suspected, which is that Joaquim dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery destroyed the story out of a mix of jealousy, hubris, and spite.

What a mess.

Jealousy and spite towards... what

• Options
    Welp

What a mess.

Can you elaborate here?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Episode 5
    Anyone else get the impression this episode had some rewrites? All the dialogue about revenge, "I don't have a reason to live without her" "you'll feel the same pain I did" feels like it was written for "my girlfriend got killed" instead of "she dumped me", but then they changed it around when the realized that whole episode concept was extremely ill-conceived.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Welp

What a mess.

Tim Hendricks, head writer, for having a bunch of ideas they didn't like; and the fandom, for shipping Shiro/Keith and Keith/Lance.
    Welp

What a mess.

Can you elaborate here?

I don't use Twitter, but here's a compilation assembled by someone else, linked because big.

Take it with a grain of salt, obviously, but apparently there are multiple sources saying the same things.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Welp

What a mess.

Tim Hendricks, head writer, for having a bunch of ideas they didn't like; and the fandom, for shipping Shiro/Keith and Keith/Lance.
    Welp

What a mess.

Can you elaborate here?

I don't use Twitter, but here's a compilation assembled by someone else, linked because big.

Take it with a grain of salt, obviously, but apparently there are multiple sources saying the same things.

I keep reading "stans" as "stands" so it is making a few of those tweets really weird.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    God I absolutely hate reading fandom drama posts.

But yeah, that all comes across as legit.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    So basically they became the Galra Empire and destroyed themselves from within.

Maybe I'll just stop at S4E3 and pretend Lance, Keith and crew stay on Earth, acting as grizzled war veteran advisors to the new Paladins.
    I just wrote fanfic, didn't I? Goddamn it

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Wait so i havent paid any attention to the ages of the characters. Whats this about pedo ships?

Quire.jpg