Options

The Reunited [Souls] Thread

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Wolnir is the worst boss. Possibly my least favourite so far out of all the games.

How so? As long as he doesn't bug out he can do down so fast.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Wolnir is the worst boss. Possibly my least favourite so far out of all the games.

He's a gimmick boss that is mostly about fighting the camera to keep sight of when he's doing his instant kill move

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

He's a gimmick boss that is mostly about fighting the camera to keep sight of when he's doing his instant kill move

Oh yeah I can see that I guess. Still a paragon of good design compared to bed of chaos in my opinion.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Yeah, while I can appreciate the odd gimmick boss, DS3 felt it had way too many of them.

And yeah, the camera has just always been terrible.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Oh yeah I can see that I guess. Still a paragon of good design compared to bed of chaos in my opinion.

The big difference between the two to me is that when you know Wolnir's gimmick, you can knock him out effortlessly in a few minutes every time while Bed of Chaos relies so much on random chance that you have to play it over and over again even if you know the boss's moves by heart.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Yes! It took a dozen tries but I beat the last Dark Souls 3 boss! I am now ready for Dark Souls 4.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Ok, this is what I get for commenting that the boss fights seemed easy. The Lorian Prince fight in DS3 is proving to be massively frustrating bullshit with a UGS build. Every single attack the boss does is almost perfectly designed to fuck with the UGS's tempo and spacing and just when I thought I was done with him, there's a whole second phase. It doesn't help that the run up to the boss is pure RNG bullshit where even when I sprint the same way each time, whether I get hit or not by anything is totally up to whether the game decides to fuck me or not.

This is the first boss that has taken me more than a couple tries to beat and it's proving to be not fun, at all.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Did you open the elevator shortcut so you can make the run from the Dragonslayer bonfire?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    lorian is doable with heavy weapons, but the specific quirk of his timing and movement make it one of the few fights where they're genuinely heavily disadvantaged

if you're not committed, i'd say switch weapons

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    My first time through Lorian was with The Greatsword, I don't recall it being any harder than other weapons. The fight's just a pain to learn.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    As always, figuring out the openings for your weapon (or switching up like Elendil mentioned) is the name of the game.

Sometimes you just have to go for those low damage fast attacks like the dodge + attack.

That fight definitely felt like one I had to be more patient with because even though you can hit the younger prince on the back, it just proved too difficult to do for me.

Edit: Also don't play with my heart Miyazaki.

Karoz on
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, thus far I have issues with Bloodborne wanting me to both be more aggressive while also really hitting hard like Dark Souls. I don't have the time I'd always need to play it for large stints, either, because we only have one TV, and a two year old that doesn't need to see the game. So I get very little time to practice or get through, and when I do, I usually just die a lot from being too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'll be honest, thus far I have issues with Bloodborne wanting me to both be more aggressive while also really hitting hard like Dark Souls. I don't have the time I'd always need to play it for large stints, either, because we only have one TV, and a two year old that doesn't need to see the game. So I get very little time to practice or get through, and when I do, I usually just die a lot from being too aggressive or not aggressive enough.

A big thing to just get used to is dodging into/through attacks rather than backwards.

Bloodborne, outside of a few instances, super punishes the backstep.

• Options
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »

A big thing to just get used to is dodging into/through attacks rather than backwards.

Bloodborne, outside of a few instances, super punishes the backstep.

The backstep is mostly useful in combination with a counter or stagger, since it gives you the space to quickly heal.

• Options
    Though the fast combat is not helped by the camera deciding to unlock itself.

I'm just spoiled by Nioh at this point.

• Options
    i'm playing through DS3 with the bastard sword

this sword fucks

on paper it's not as good as the claymore, but in practice it has the space launcher and is therefore better

• Options
    RollsavagerRollsavager Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Ok, this is what I get for commenting that the boss fights seemed easy. The Lorian Prince fight in DS3 is proving to be massively frustrating bullshit with a UGS build. Every single attack the boss does is almost perfectly designed to fuck with the UGS's tempo and spacing and just when I thought I was done with him, there's a whole second phase. It doesn't help that the run up to the boss is pure RNG bullshit where even when I sprint the same way each time, whether I get hit or not by anything is totally up to whether the game decides to fuck me or not.

This is the first boss that has taken me more than a couple tries to beat and it's proving to be not fun, at all.

This is funny because I actually had the opposite experience in the Ringed City DLC. I had played the core game with the Estoc and not a ton of issues, but the DLC enemies (and the final boss in particular) are so tanky and hit so hard that I would always lose the battle of attrition. I ended up switching to an UGS because I figured if I can only manage one attack per opportunity, I may as well make it a really big one.

Anyway, best of luck on the Princes. Try the running/rolling attacks if you haven't already!

Rollsavager on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Decided to try the Duke Skip just to see if I could. I've been trying now for probably 40 minutes.

I, uh, don't think I have a future in speedrunning.

edit: Finally got it.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Anyway, best of luck on the Princes. Try the running/rolling attacks if you haven't already!

The problem with the Greatsword in particular is that the rolling attack is a slow 360 attack that the boss has ample time to punish every time it comes out. So, that means I have to wait a hair to attack to get the standard attack to come out which throws the timing off even more and opens me up again. It's just a really, really bad matchup for the Greatsword.

I've finally said fuck it and reinforced and infused the Exile Greatsword which has helped a lot, now my problem is just fighting the lock on system and camera because this boss in particular breaks the lock on really badly. This game doesn't have a particularly good lock on or camera to begin with and wew lad this boss just really fucks with both those things. I feel like I'm fighting iffy game systems more than I'm fighting the boss at this point which is just infuriating. He's got one attack in particular that causes him to teleport up and drop down for a huge amount of damage that I just cannot see any sort of tell for and as far as I can tell, looks like just a regular teleport up until he falls on my head for most of my health.

Getting behind the bastard during the second phase with a smaller weapon is proving to be pretty obnoxious too and making the whole thing drag out unnecessarily.

Just, ugh, what a shit boss.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Who is actually living in Dark Souls? The beings who have an intact soul.

Seethe the Scaleless
    Gwyndolin
    The Witch
    Nito
    Priscilla
    ... that's about it.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Who is actually living in Dark Souls? The beings who have an intact soul.

Seethe the Scaleless
    Gwyndolin
    The Witch
    Nito
    Priscilla
    ... that's about it.
    Sieglinde is fully human as well. Lacks the darksign. Ah, probably Princess Dusk as well.

cB557 on
  • Options
    What does “have an intact soul” mean?

You get a soul from Sif, you get a soul from Ornstein or Smough, you even get a soul from the Iron Golem

• Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

The problem with the Greatsword in particular is that the rolling attack is a slow 360 attack that the boss has ample time to punish every time it comes out. So, that means I have to wait a hair to attack to get the standard attack to come out which throws the timing off even more and opens me up again. It's just a really, really bad matchup for the Greatsword.

I've finally said fuck it and reinforced and infused the Exile Greatsword which has helped a lot, now my problem is just fighting the lock on system and camera because this boss in particular breaks the lock on really badly. This game doesn't have a particularly good lock on or camera to begin with and wew lad this boss just really fucks with both those things. I feel like I'm fighting iffy game systems more than I'm fighting the boss at this point which is just infuriating. He's got one attack in particular that causes him to teleport up and drop down for a huge amount of damage that I just cannot see any sort of tell for and as far as I can tell, looks like just a regular teleport up until he falls on my head for most of my health.

Getting behind the bastard during the second phase with a smaller weapon is proving to be pretty obnoxious too and making the whole thing drag out unnecessarily.

Just, ugh, what a shit boss.

If you're playing on PC and just want to get it over with, I'm happy to have you summon me--just hit me up in a DM. As much as it was a point of pride for me to solo most of the bosses, I wasn't above calling in a Sunbro for a couple of the really absurd ones (Nameless King and Friede, I'm looking at you).

• Options
    Nah, you get a core from the Iron Golem, which is made of dragon bone.
    I think they mean you're not undead, or fucked up by chaos or stuff like that.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    What does “have an intact soul” mean?

You get a soul from Sif, you get a soul from Ornstein or Smough, you even get a soul from the Iron Golem

You get souls from lowly hollows in the tutorial area. But those are, like, weenie souls. Fractions mostly burnt away by the Dark Sigil.

• Options
    I guess for me a “real” soul is any soul you can make a special weapon out of, or put in the Lordvessel.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I guess for me a “real” soul is any soul you can make a special weapon out of, or put in the Lordvessel.

I dunno. Ornstein and Smough are alive - you kill them and they stay dead. But that standard would mean something like the Four Kings are also alive (and supposed to be human?) because you take souls after killing them.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    In a moment of pure coincidental hilarity, while waiting for @Rollsavager to get the game reinstalled I did another run on Lorian expecting to just fail miserably again but instead ended up finally ripping through him after hours of frustration. Switching to the Exile Greatsword helped a lot, but I think going from my living room PC where I've been streaming the game to my actual PC and playing three feet away from my screen there helped remove any potential input issues that might have been getting to me.

Thanks a bunch to @Rollsavager for the offer and taking the time to reinstall! I feel kinda bad that I ended up not needing to summon you and you took that time for nothing.

In a complete 180 of my experience with Lorian, I ripped the Lord of Cinder to shreds on the first go. It was nice being able to switch back to my Greatsword and have a good ole fashioned slugfest like I was used to with all the other Dark Souls 3 bosses. So yeah, off to the DLC I go!

EDIT: Oh, and apparently I'm now the dark lord of the Hollows in the world of Dark Souls which is a pretty fucking rad ending cutscene.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Congrats! It wasn't a total waste, I ended up starting a new run for a strength build. I didn't realize there was a crystal demon just off the tutorial area, so that was fun to fight on a brand new Deprived character.

Also the DLC bosses are pretty rough, so my offer still stands if you want a Sunbro for any of those. Enjoy the ride!

• Options
    Ok I am now in the camp that feels the run to Gwyn is much too long.

I got sick of it and decided to go farming in Anor Londo. I don’t know how I never realized that the Symbol of Avarice gives a boost to the amount of souls dropped in addition to the item discovery. Between that and the silver serpent ring I’m getting 150% of the standard soul drop.

So now I’ve got a nice simple run that gives me just under 39k in 5 minutes (ng+) for killing six dudes and all I have to worry about is not aggroing 2 at once.

• Options
    Oh my god, I just died to Taurus Demon on a new character.

Twice.

• Options
    Kamar wrote: »
    Oh my god, I just died to Taurus Demon on a new character.

Twice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxbI79KWfgY

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Oh, Seath.

Your initial appearance was so, so rad.

You got soft. What happened, man?

• Options
    But he was always soft? That's kind his whole thing.

• Options
    It’s also Dark Souls. You are not so much fighting the bosses as putting them out of their misery.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    I suppose.

He looked so cool in that opening cutscene, though! I was expecting him to at least put up a fight :?

• Options
    Oh sure, I'm just not sure what that has to do with him being soft. I mean, he's Seath the Scaleless, being soft and fleshy is in the name.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I suppose.

He looked so cool in that opening cutscene, though! I was expecting him to at least put up a fight :?

Seath was always an opportunistic backstabber, the very first time you see him he is betraying his entire kind to an invading army . His strength ( and what eventually drove him to madness) was his intellect and ability to research and innovate sorcery. With his deformed appearance it’s not hard to imagine that he was physically weak and frail for a dragon. Not to mention as opposed to every other dragon he is dying . Still I very much enjoy his character and the dukes grand archives are always a fun time.

• Options
    Dukes grand archives...fun time...does not compute

This discussion has been closed.