Options

[Fighting Games] As conceived in 2016 by Twitter operators

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'm really excited about MK XI and I think I actually have an idea of how the Variants from MKX are going to play into this one

Trailer spoilers, in case you haven't watched it yet:
    In the trailer we see some pretty heavy indication of some Time Travel: Two versions of Scorpion, and also at the end a woman who looks like she's from Order Realm standing next to a giant Hourglass

Sooooo I think the 3 Variants from each character are actually going to be the character from 3 different time periods, which sounds REALLY fun and exciting

A reason for you to have Ninja, half Ninja, and Lizard Reptile, each playing differently!

hey @Zonugal I need someone to speculate with

In addition to the thing I posted here, I have been re-playing 9 and X and noticed something:
    in Jade's ending in MK9 there is a shimmering woman figure who says that Raiden's tampering of the timeline to cause the downfall of Shao Kahn will have dire consequences and must be reversed. The figure looks VAGUELY like the lady in the trailer but is definitely not 1:1

she then posesses jade and disappears

Jade was not in MK 10

I know a lot of those endings don't mean anything but that would be sort of a neat direction to take the XI

Ooooooooh, this all would be tremendous!

@Chincymcchilla, do you imagine we are drifting back into how Deadly Alliance played?

No, I don't think we're going to go that far

Like for one I don't think its going to be a 3d fighter. That would require a whole engine rework and I don't think we're there yet

But they DID highlight weapons a lot in the trailer

I don't think they'll do full on stances, but one thing I was wondering if they could get away with is like, a modifier button? Like, if you hold r1 you pull out a weapon, essentially giving every button two moves? I don't know if that would work or not, but I don't think they'll go back to stances, people didn't seem to respond super positively to them

I wouldn’t really consider it a “stance” but in KI the way Maya plays is she has her daggers, and she swings them for her punches, and she can throw them each independently. She picks them up by either walking over to them and pressing a button, or doing a forward/backward dodge over them on the ground.

For her, when she’s missing a dagger her punches just act as kicks, but I can imagine a system for MK where you get new punches when holding your weapon, and they go back to normal when you drop it. Then you can pick up your weapon by standing over it.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2018
    The Italian Gamestop page accidentally put up a listing for the Premium Edition of the game, with some gameplay details. It is going to have Injustice 2-style character customization on top of variations. It alludes to a new mechanic called the GoreTech system, but doesn't have any specifics beyond the name. And it was apparently designed from the ground up with tournaments in mind. I hope they've come up with a cool way to do customized characters/variations in a tournament setting in a fashion that works in a fair/timely/easy fashion.

Tekken 5 on ps2 had this awesome feature where you could plug in a memory card at character select and instantly be able to use your costumes and ranks. I kinda want to see something like that.

Knob on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    im not surprised if character customization returned, it seemed like a popular feature of IJ2

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    if they could find a way to make customizations work in tournament, that would be a really interesting/cool edge that might breath some life into its tournament scene (in my opinion)

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla, do you think any of these will play a significant role in the next Mortal Kombat?

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    @Chincymcchilla, do you think any of these will play a significant role in the next Mortal Kombat?

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

They won't do The One Being, thats like, way too deep

But the kamidogu are always a good mcguffin and they could put one in each time period, so sure

They'll never do anything with Onaga again

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    They really just need to not have the rematch take year and a half and ill watch it

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    My biggest hope is that they do something to address pausing on the last hit and restarting the match being the most time efficient way to play.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Knob wrote: »
    The Italian Gamestop page accidentally put up a listing for the Premium Edition of the game, with some gameplay details. It is going to have Injustice 2-style character customization on top of variations. It alludes to a new mechanic called the GoreTech system, but doesn't have any specifics beyond the name. And it was apparently designed from the ground up with tournaments in mind. I hope they've come up with a cool way to do customized characters/variations in a tournament setting in a fashion that works in a fair/timely/easy fashion.

Tekken 5 on ps2 had this awesome feature where you could plug in a memory card at character select and instantly be able to use your costumes and ranks. I kinda want to see something like that.

"GoreTech" has to... have something to do with gore, right? Like it can't just be character customization, that wouldn't make any sense

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I hope that the customization is a bit more...varied than Injustice 2's. I liked Injustice's customization on the pitch but then once I started playing most it was just so similar and bland. I don't want a hat that has the same silhouette, I want a hat that has a WILDLY DIFFERENT one

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

But the kamidogu are always a good mcguffin and they could put one in each time period, so sure

"GoreTech" has to... have something to do with gore, right? Like it can't just be character customization, that wouldn't make any sense

If I had to offer a guess, either:

You get to customize your character to target certain enemy body parts for your animations/fatalities.

or

Depending on where your character is injured during specials, you begin to lose power for that certain body part (I'm thinking just the individual arms & legs).

• Options
    I'm betting GoreTech is just a separate meter that gives you moves or w/e. Like imagine just hearing that Street Fighter 5 has a V System. And you're like "what the hell is a V system wow it could be anything" and then it's like well it's a move and a power up for each character basically.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I hope that the customization is a bit more...varied than Injustice 2's. I liked Injustice's customization on the pitch but then once I started playing most it was just so similar and bland. I don't want a hat that has the same silhouette, I want a hat that has a WILDLY DIFFERENT one

Didn't they have like, 10 different models for each peice per character? They definitely were not all the same

• Options
    I'm betting GoreTech is just a separate meter that gives you moves or w/e. Like imagine just hearing that Street Fighter 5 has a V System. And you're like "what the hell is a V system wow it could be anything" and then it's like well it's a move and a power up for each character basically.

A revamp of the super system would be nice, they're cool but having only one per character with as long as they are can get tiring

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    bring back freddy

• Options

Didn't they have like, 10 different models for each peice per character? They definitely were not all the same

They were not the same but they might as well have been for how similar a lot of them felt. Like I wanted more stuff like "Here's Flash in a hat" rather than "Here's Flash. Here's Flash where the mask covers his face. Here's Flash where the lightning bolts on the side are small. Here's Flash where they go all the way down to the chin."

bFJf7gj.jpg?1

Like these are all obviously three different outfits, but they're all still very on model. They didn't really shake the boat with stuff.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Supers are the least efficient thing to do with your meter, so a drastic overhaul of the meter system entirely would be nice. I also never cared much for the stamina system. They've had builds where stamina is freely available and it skews the entire game one direction, and builds where stamina is scarce and builds slowly and it skews wildly off in a different direction. And at all points in between it never felt quite right.

• Options

They were not the same but they might as well have been for how similar a lot of them felt. Like I wanted more stuff like "Here's Flash in a hat" rather than "Here's Flash. Here's Flash where the mask covers his face. Here's Flash where the lightning bolts on the side are small. Here's Flash where they go all the way down to the chin."

/snip

Like these are all obviously three different outfits, but they're all still very on model. They didn't really shake the boat with stuff.

That's fair, though I'll say I wonder if it was slightly different with different characters

I played mostly as harley and a lot of her stuff was pretty wildly different from each other, that flash stuff is a lot more subdued

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular

Bring back cheat codes!

Give people a code they can enter on the character select screen that’s tied to a customization scheme.

Like, I select my guy, then hit the Customize button while still on character select, and press up up right left left hp hp block and no matter what system I’m on it knows that’s Scorpion’s shirtless outfit with flaming skull and swim trunks and clown shoes.

• Options
    @Zonugal how many kombat kids die

• Options
    edited December 2018
    The thing about I2 customization is that DC has a vested interest in the visual representation of their characters. You're never gonna get anything too crazy and wild, because DC will insist that even the most ludicrous customization will still be instantly 100% recognizable as Superman or whoever.

If some of the MKX skins available are anything to go on, NRS has absolutely zero issue with their IP looking ridiculous or non-canon so I expect the customization options will be many and varied.

Knob on
  • Options

I have no idea what this even entails.

• Options
    If some of the MKX skins available are anything to go on, NRS has absolutely zero issue with their IP looking ridiculous or non-canon so I expect the customization options will be many and varied.

blue fox heads for all

• Options

The second generation characters from MK X

Cassie, Jaqcui, Kung Jin and Takeda

How many of them do you think bite it

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    mortal kombat XI: fight for the future

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

Hmm...

-- Jaqcui lives but her dad dies to protect her.

-- Kung Jin & Takeda both will get brutally murdered.

-- Cassie absolutely lives.

• Options

Hmm...

-- Jaqcui lives but her dad dies to protect her.

-- Kung Jin & Takeda both will get brutally murdered.

-- Cassie absolutely lives.

i definitely liked jacqui and cassie both from a character and gameplay perspective a lot more so im down

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    mortal kombat XI: fight for the future

Put Oro and Alex in Mortal Kombat

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Man Oros dick in hd

Yeah lets do it

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Chincymcchilla, do you think any of these will play a significant role in the next Mortal Kombat?

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

So @Chincymcchilla, lets explore this idea.

The are six Kamidogu, correct?

Which six different time periods do we get?

• Options
    weirdly it's just one every two months, perfectly synced up with the dlc schedule

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Man, Smash's whole tilt attack system sure is weird. If you press a direction and attack at the same time you get a smash attack, while if you press a direction slowly or partially and attack you get a tilt attack. Also the only alternate input option for tilt attacks is the right analog stick, no buttons allowed. I get it now but it sure was confusing at first.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hypothetically it's supposed to be more like if you press a direction and attack you get a tilt, and if you smash the control stick hard in a direction and attack you get a smash attack

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Chincymcchilla, do you think any of these will play a significant role in the next Mortal Kombat?

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

hmm

one way in the past, one pre mk 1, one maybe between 2 and 3, and then i bet we get multiple versions of the future

• Options

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

hmm

one way in the past, one pre mk 1, one maybe between 2 and 3, and then i bet we get multiple versions of the future

I demand we have a stage filled with dinosaurs.

And not like in the background of a market place.

I want a T-Rex to be an environmental feature.

• Options

-- Onaga
    -- The Kamidogu
    -- The One Being

hmm

I demand we have a stage filled with dinosaurs.

And not like in the background of a market place.

I want a T-Rex to be an environmental feature.

the zatarrans used to live on earth

maybe during that time?

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    hypothetically it's supposed to be more like if you press a direction and attack you get a tilt, and if you smash the control stick hard in a direction and attack you get a smash attack

Yeah, and then it gets complicated even more by dashes and dash attacks. So you hold a direction or tilt the stick partially in that direction and then attack for tilts, press a direction and attack at the same time for smashes, or flick the stick quickly, hold it, and then attack for dashes into dash attacks. Also you can buffer into tilts but not smashes or dashes. Definitely a lot more analog stick granularity than I expected for basic movement and attacks.

• Options
    Given that I only understand smash at an extremely rudimentary level, is there any reason that tilts and smashes couldn't just be two different buttons?

• Options
    edited December 2018
    at this point it seems like purely an anachronism from N64/Wii days, when you had controllers that could potentially only provide two decent face buttons

Jasconius on
  • Options
    I know the answer to this is just Git Gud, but as a very, very casual smash player I constantly marvel at how the game that prides itself on accessibility and no complicated motions for specials and such has such a wild basic execution barrier. I spend most rounds in constant amazement at all the things my guy is doing that I did not want him to do.

This discussion has been closed.