As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry New Dawn - The MOST realistic premise ever

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Rage 2 with gardeners.

I think I"ll buy it and continue my trend of only having played Far Cry DLC turned standalone content from the franchise.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I’m in. The story in 5 was utter garbage, but the game was just so much fun to play.

I think that's the bottom line. Whether you liked the story or not (I liked it personally, but whatever), it's hard to argue that the gameplay itself was a fucking riot. Hopefully New Dawn doesn't take itself too seriously and leans into the crazy a bit like Blood Dragon did.

I actually don't think the gameplay in 5 was that great. They've dialed the environmental chaos so high that it no longer has any impact. You are running across the same small handful of cult/rebel models going through the same motions, with the occasional wild animal thrown into the mix. It feels really flat after awhile.

I think 3 hit the formula the best. There was a great mix of solitude and insanity, so it felt impactful when you had to stealth past an outpost or ran into a rebel versus bad guy gunfight. With 5, I was just running past it all to get to the next map marker, because engaging with the systems felt like purposeless busy work.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Far Cry 5 ending spoiler
    One thing about the trailer that worries me is the end. Please, please, please don’t make Joseph Seed a follower/companion/whatever.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    So New Dawn is pretty much just Far Cry 5, but with all the characters and models dressed up to look like they've dropped out of Mad Max and the Walking Dead.

I think Ubisoft have officially run out of ideas. This has to be the laziest premise for a sequel I've ever seen, and that its trying to muscle in all the other post apocalyptic open world games out there is the icing on the crap cake.

Can we please do something a bit different with these post apocalypse settings? Something that isn't focused around killing a bunch of assholes because they stole something from you?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    RPS put out a good piece pointing out why Ubi failed so badly with its depiction of Montana's troubled history with actual white supremacist cults. It's worth reading in full, but it touches on Ubi's unwillingness to actually confront white supremacy, their excision of Native communities in a game set in a region with a number of notable tribes, and just a lack of actual research and understanding.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The cult in Far Cry 5 is not a white supremacist cult. It's a fictional religous/fanatical doomsday prepper cult. People's desire to shit on this game for political messages that were never there and never intended to be there, continues to baffle me. It's as ridiculous as the people wagging their fingers at Cuphead for not touching on racisim because it uses an old-school animation art style.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So I ordered this during the winter sale from the uPlay store and due to an error my coupon code for 20% off didn't work. Ubisoft is telling me that they can't refund me the difference, and that I had to re-do the entire order and refund back the original order. After a dozen attempts to re-purchase the game on multiple browsers, multiple computers, and directly through uPlay the order would not go through. So now I'm just waiting to hear back from support and I'll be very unhappy if they just tell me to pound sand. I'd take it up with my credit card company to get the difference back, but I'm afraid that Ubisoft would just lock my account if I took my pound of flesh.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The cult in Far Cry 5 is not a white supremacist cult. It's a fictional religous/fanatical doomsday prepper cult. People's desire to shit on this game for political messages that were never there and never intended to be there, continues to baffle me. It's as ridiculous as the people wagging their fingers at Cuphead for not touching on racisim because it uses an old-school animation art style.

You didn't read the article.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The cult in Far Cry 5 not being an explicitly white supremacist cult is part of the criticism.

They use the same fascist imagery (all those Iron Crosses aren’t a coincidence) , they use the same Christian imagery without ever mentioning Christ. They clearly wanted to evoke the idea, but didn’t have the stones to follow through on it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

If Seed's cult actually existed in the Flathead (which is the specific part of Montana where the game is set), it would be built around white supremacy, because (a) the Flathead, being next to the Idaho Panhandle, has a long, ignoble history of white supremacy, and (b) as was stated above, they use all the iconography of white supremacist groups. Ubi went halfway on the message, pulling back from actually addressing the issues in the area. They also erased the Native presence in the area (and the Flathead is home to several tribes, such as the Salish), which is also a major problem.

You say that the political messages aren't there, but the reality is that they are. Setting the game in the Flathead is a political message Having the cult use white supremacist iconography is a political message. The problem is that Ubi half-assed the message.

Also, I'd read up on the prepper community sometime as well - there is a strong thread of white supremacy there as well.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So I ordered this during the winter sale from the uPlay store and due to an error my coupon code for 20% off didn't work. Ubisoft is telling me that they can't refund me the difference, and that I had to re-do the entire order and refund back the original order. After a dozen attempts to re-purchase the game on multiple browsers, multiple computers, and directly through uPlay the order would not go through. So now I'm just waiting to hear back from support and I'll be very unhappy if they just tell me to pound sand. I'd take it up with my credit card company to get the difference back, but I'm afraid that Ubisoft would just lock my account if I took my pound of flesh.

Well it has gotten to the point that Ubisoft support flat out said they couldn't help me, so I requested that they refund the entire order and let them know that I'm very unhappy over the entire situation. Great customer service. Guess I don't have Far Cry 5 after all.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    So.... I skipped 5 because it seemed like a train wreck (outside of the always fun gameplay loop).... But I haven't seen anything on New Dawn. Do people have thoughts on that? Saw something about base upgrades, etc, but not a lot of talk at all.....

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    So.... I skipped 5 because it seemed like a train wreck (outside of the always fun gameplay loop).... But I haven't seen anything on New Dawn. Do people have thoughts on that? Saw something about base upgrades, etc, but not a lot of talk at all.....
    Word is it's very FC5. There are these "away missions" that they added that are super cool, but otherwise it's just sorta there and doesn't really build on FC5 or anything like it could have. Like it isn't particularly post-apocalyptic, and it doesn't tackle the story beats like it could.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

The complaint seems to be "It should've been a white supremacist cult, with an option for doomsday adventism," rather than the other way around (with Ubisoft answering "no" to the option)--given the geography, the regional and even national political climate, and more.

The unchanged thread title is pretty telling: people were expecting a white supremacist ultrapatriotic cult. What they got was actually a pretty fitting case in its own right--there are painfully obvious ties to the "end of the world" centered "familial" cults of the 1960s and 1970s that actually were particularly inclusionary, especially by segregationist American standards, and experimented with drugs for what they considered "prophetic" visions.

But it's not surprising that you wouldn't find one of these in Montana, or it seems rather unlikely compared to the alternatives. People expected a white militia, hence the thread title.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The complaint is also strengthened by the end of the game.
    Where game says the cult was right all along, the world does end in a nuclear hellfire, and everything would have been better had you never done anything. Thanks for playing.

Aistan on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I was interested based on the gameplay. But most the stuff that looked cool from pictures seems pretty weak in the actual game.

The cool modded weapons are basically just wacky looking guns. You don't mod them to look like that... they just sorta come that way. And you seem to just hand over the "material" in place of money so that seems basically the same as well. Which is really sad because cool customization was severely lacking in the 5 is what I thought they were adding here. But they didn't. They just gated the weapons by strength. You make a tier one weapon. Then later you unlock tier two weapons which are just guns that do more damage than the tier 1 weapons.

And then I saw some reviews talking about the gameplay loop. Which seems to be liberating outposts(expected but fun!) and then unliberating(??) them to liberate them again to farm the materials that are required to advance the story. And uhhh... yea OK maybe for a side thing but unliberating outposts to farm materials as requirement for the main game seems real dumb.

So sadly, unless I see otherwise, this is a big old pass for me.

Also minor story beats about some of the dumb stuff that was an issue in the first game
    It seems the bad cult from the first game are now one of the groups you actually work with in this game which is just like such a slap in the face. Are you serious Ubi?(assuming I haven't been misinformed)

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I was interested based on the gameplay. But most the stuff that looked cool from pictures seems pretty weak in the actual game.

The cool modded weapons are basically just wacky looking guns. You don't mod them to look like that... they just sorta come that way. And you seem to just hand over the "material" in place of money so that seems basically the same as well. Which is really sad because cool customization was severely lacking in the 5 is what I thought they were adding here. But they didn't. They just gated the weapons by strength. You make a tier one weapon. Then later you unlock tier two weapons which are just guns that do more damage than the tier 1 weapons.

And then I saw some reviews talking about the gameplay loop. Which seems to be liberating outposts(expected but fun!) and then unliberating(??) them to liberate them again to farm the materials that are required to advance the story. And uhhh... yea OK maybe for a side thing but unliberating outposts to farm materials as requirement for the main game seems real dumb.

So sadly, unless I see otherwise, this is a big old pass for me.

Also minor story beats about some of the dumb stuff that was an issue in the first game
    It seems the bad cult from the first game are now one of the groups you actually work with in this game which is just like such a slap in the face. Are you serious Ubi?(assuming I haven't been misinformed)

Regarding that spoiler...
    I'm not that far in, but my hope is Joseph Seed ends up being the big bad again by the end. Working with a villain can be cool, but not him, please.

Edit: Also, the weapons have even less customization than in 5. In fact, there's no customization at all. You can't change the way they look or add attachments.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for. Big ol' pass. Thanks!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    The complaint is also strengthened by the end of the game.
    Where game says the cult was right all along, the world does end in a nuclear hellfire, and everything would have been better had you never done anything. Thanks for playing.

Well, strictly speaking
    It would have in fact been worse if you did. Instead of just one deranged asshole hiding out in the bunker surviving the apocalypse it would have been a full strength faction of cultist zealots who would have survived, ready to flood outward and build the framework of a new insane theocratic world upon emerging from the bunker. What's left of the world after the bombs dropped didn't deserve that and you did the world a favor no matter what Dan Hay tries to preach to the player about it.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I picked up New Dawn because a buddy and I really enjoyed creating chaos in 5. I only get to play it while the kiddo is asleep so we only have a few hours in but I'm enjoying New Dawn. There are some changes but for everyone one I like there is something I dislike.

You have a base that you have to build up. There is no customization to it other that which things to build up first, but it still makes me happy to see sections of my base improve as I update them.

The Saw Blade launcher is fun, fun, fun.

There are no kidnapping cut scenes like in 5.

It lets me keep spending perk points to carry more shovels. I'm up to 4, I don't know how many more it will let me get but I'm going to keep adding until it stops letting me.

Motorcycle sidecars are a thing. I dig them.

The dog can ride shotgun with you instead of chasing the car as you drive down the road.

Revisiting the map after so much destruction is actually kind of fun. You'll be waste deep in something and then go, "oh....that's where this is."

Outposts can be given up for resources and they strengthen afterwards for you to try and liberate them again.

Dislike
    Combat feels more video game-y.

The weapons and enemies come in tiers. Shooting a tier 1 weapon at a tier 3 enemy does very little damage. I don't care for that as much. Defaults also have health bars on bad guys and damage numbers but you can turn those off.

I miss Peaches.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    So damn far behind on this series.

Rebought Far Cry 4 today. Never did finish it on PC, got a lot of motion sickness. Hoping playing on my TV and with a controller from a distance will help allievate that.

I enjoy these games but man is there a lot of tossing and turning..

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    New Dawn looks like it could be fun.
    But i am still so disgusted about FC5 that i am not buying another Far Cry game, not now, maybe not ever.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    But i am still so disgusted about FC5 that i am not buying another Far Cry game, not now, maybe not ever.
    What? Far Cry 3 fully embracing a white savior plotline and then somehow completely dodging the issues surrounding white supremacy in rural America in 5 makes you feel weird and uncomfortable?

I can't imagine why.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I still haven't played beyond Blood Dragon, but I spoiled myself on the ending of Far Cry 5 and rolled my eyes. And most recently PC Gamer had an article that spoiled (with plenty of warning!) what has happened to the character you played as in FC5, which made me roll my eyes again.

I'll probably play them eventually, but I want to play FC4 first. Which I've been saying for at least a year now.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I still haven't played beyond Blood Dragon, but I spoiled myself on the ending of Far Cry 5 and rolled my eyes. And most recently PC Gamer had an article that spoiled (with plenty of warning!) what has happened to the character you played as in FC5, which made me roll my eyes again.

I'll probably play them eventually, but I want to play FC4 first. Which I've been saying for at least a year now.
    I FINALLY got back into Far Cry 4. Only played about 10% of it years back.

Still a great game. Playing with a gamepad instead of a mouse and keyboard (which I spent years doing with FPS before my hands starting cramping up on my KBM and I had to switch about a year ago) is becoming a real adjustment though.

Do you guys play with aim assist on or off? Can't tell if its honestly hurting or helping me at this point. That and default look sensitivity feel all over the place.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Far Cry 4 is by far my favorite of the series aside from the original. I tried playing 3 but the story and bro main character really pissed me off, and like lots of people I was extremely annoyed with 5's repulsive shirtless antagonist and all the stupid drugs and kidnappings, though I did finish that one at least.

I love mountains, so 4's setting was really a lot of fun to run around in and Pagan Min is a very enjoyable and entertaining character.

Gameplay, they are all pretty much the same with just slight variations, right? 5 felt more simplified to me, though it's been a while so I wouldn't be able to come up with a list of ways how.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Far Cry 4 doesn't feature a mission with a flamethrower set to "Make it Bun Dem" so I'm not sure it'll end up being better for me in the end.

"He's burning all the weed!"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    What? Far Cry 3 fully embracing a white savior plotline and then somehow completely dodging the issues surrounding white supremacy in rural America in 5 makes you feel weird and uncomfortable?

I can't imagine why.
    I never played FC3, or FC4.
    And no, my problem is not the dodging of white supremacy issues, those are, like, the least of my issues with the FC5 story, a minor annoyance at best.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Far Cry 4 instead features a mission with a flamethrower where you burn opium instead of weed. Totally different.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    My favourite far cry has probably been primal, mainly because there was only like 1 joke mission. Seriously, no more joke missions. Please

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    My favourite far cry has probably been primal, mainly because there was only like 1 joke mission. Seriously, no more joke missions. Please
    Or, alternatively, stop trying to be serious, go all out on absurdist humour.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular

Not to be all Both Sides about it but I honestly don't think it would feel like a Far Cry game if they didn't try to do both.

• Options
    They need to do Primal again but do it right this time.

Add goddamn dinosaurs.

• Options

Not to be all Both Sides about it but I honestly don't think it would feel like a Far Cry game if they didn't try to do both.
    I am not sure that this is a bad thing.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I just hope they never stop embracing crazy spinoff/standalone title/DLC ideas like Blood Dragon, Primal, New Dawn and the FC5 DLC.

4 was kind of disappointing in that regard when they never announced any insane downloadable content. (Yeti stuff seems interesting but not far enough for me to put it in the category with the others). They did follow it up with Primal though so I forgive them for that.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

That might work, if they were actually funny.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

That might work, if they were actually funny.

Yeah that's my main issue, lazy writing is lazy writing, doesn't matter if it's silly or serious. However, going serious I'd at least respect because it means they aren't hedging their bets with "oh our story and characters are meaningless and unsatisying? Well how about a rubber chicken and testicle jokes! See, we don't care cos it's so fun, so you should care that the writing is shit either!"

Humour, even silly humour, can work to serve a good story with fleshed out characters that actually grow and develop in interesting ways (wolfenstien and bulletstorm are my examples). But the writing has to be earnest, it has to have a point, to put its heart on its sleeve and actually give a shit about itself.

Far cry always just meanders along, not really paying attention to itself, and then makes up an unearned and disjointed ending whenever it remembers they promised an actual narrative. It's gotten to the point where I would prefer a literal sandbox with no dialogue, I'm just exhausted by hearing characters prattle on mindlessly in service of nothing but filling the silence between shooting.

Prohass on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I can't imagine why.

I mean at least FC3 did something interesting with that concept. They made it clear that the "white savior" was not actually a traditional hero and just a lunatic murder machine who really really liked to kill people and used the heroics as a thin guise to allow himself to do some more killing.

• Options

I can't imagine why.

I mean at least FC3 did something interesting with that concept. They made it clear that the "white savior" was not actually a traditional hero and just a lunatic murder machine who really really liked to kill people and used the heroics as a thin guise to allow himself to do some more killing.
    While FC5 just wonders if, when there's a doomsday cult going around kidnapping, brainwashing, and murdering people, maybe we should just leave them to it?
    I mean, they might be right.
    /headdesk

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

I can't imagine why.

Far Cry 5 has one of the most aggressive "f--- you player, you didn't win" endings I've seen in a while.

manwiththemachinegun on