As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Climate Change or: How I Stopped Worrying and Love Rising Sea Levels

19495969798100»

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    This one is bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/04/a-third-of-himalayan-ice-cap-doomed-finds-shocking-report

If we lose the mountain ice caps that makes drinking water for billions a problem. And that region has multiple nuclear armed nations to fight over what's left.

We are going to lose the Himalayan ice caps no matter war: the report states that even if we dramatically reduce our emissions, a third of the ice caps will be gone by 2100 and that if we don't, it (very conservatively) says that two-thirds are going to be gone.

Ice caps / glaciers are fundamental to regions like this in that water flows down during the spring/summer and the disruption of this usually-regular activity leads to drought, famine, political unrest, etc etc etc

This is going to result in massive, cannot-be-overstated geopolitical tensions from Afghanistan-Pakistan-India-China-Myanmar (Bhutan and Nepal are filed under India, reflecting the beliefs of the current White House administration)

I'm sure the Pentagon has written internal memos about the inevitable next wave of mass-migrations/refugees but this is right up there with MENA / Latin America as the next obvious hotspot that will further destabilize the world

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    This one is bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/04/a-third-of-himalayan-ice-cap-doomed-finds-shocking-report

If we lose the mountain ice caps that makes drinking water for billions a problem. And that region has multiple nuclear armed nations to fight over what's left.

We are going to lose the Himalayan ice caps no matter war: the report states that even if we dramatically reduce our emissions, a third of the ice caps will be gone by 2100 and that if we don't, it (very conservatively) says that two-thirds are going to be gone.

Ice caps / glaciers are fundamental to regions like this in that water flows down during the spring/summer and the disruption of this usually-regular activity leads to drought, famine, political unrest, etc etc etc

This is going to result in massive, cannot-be-overstated geopolitical tensions from Afghanistan-Pakistan-India-China-Myanmar (Bhutan and Nepal are filed under India, reflecting the beliefs of the current White House administration)

I'm sure the Pentagon has written internal memos about the inevitable next wave of mass-migrations/refugees but this is right up there with MENA / Latin America as the next obvious hotspot that will further destabilize the world

Yeah, the bolded can't be overstated. This isn't a couple of "rational" nuclear armed nations here. This is three specific nations (Pakistan, India and China) that are consistently on the verge of war. You put a massive drought in place, and it's going to be a big issue. You put shenanigans in place (one or more of those nations playing funny buggers with diverting water flows, much like China are making "islands"), reducing the smaller amounts even further, and I can see it becoming a serious shooting war.

And once that happens, unless it stalemates quickly, it's not far off seeing the entire area glassed.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The potential for shenanigans is disturbingly high considering China's obvious global resource ambitions (Belt & Road Initiative, South China Sea islands, oil infrastructure investments)

India wants in on big international economic cooperation agreements too and have set up rival councils for the whole Africa-Asia link and god only knows what Pakistan's even up to apart from cozying up with China and poking India in the eye, surely nothing can go wrong

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    This one is bad.

Yeah, the bolded can't be overstated. This isn't a couple of "rational" nuclear armed nations here. This is three specific nations (Pakistan, India and China) that are consistently on the verge of war. You put a massive drought in place, and it's going to be a big issue. You put shenanigans in place (one or more of those nations playing funny buggers with diverting water flows, much like China are making "islands"), reducing the smaller amounts even further, and I can see it becoming a serious shooting war.

And once that happens, unless it stalemates quickly, it's not far off seeing the entire area glassed.

You forgot that when it becomes an issue will be timed with Bangladesh flooding out and millions scattering across the region looking for a new home.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Most cities and sprawls are not actually big enough to stop people from biking, the roads are just unfriendly enough that it's not worth it.

I live close to work by my city's standards, and its still 20 miles roundtrip. In 100% humidity. Also it rains here most days. I've never even seen an office with a shower.

Even assuming we had decent bikelanes or safe sidewalks, you can't have a professional job where you need decent clothes and bike to work without stinking to high heaven or having your clothes ruined.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone make a new thread. Unless the frost this morning means everything is fine now and I can stop worrying.

This discussion has been closed.