As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pancakes vs Waffles

12345679»

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    But wikipedia says
    English pancakes have three key ingredients: plain flour, eggs, and milk, though Gervase Markham's 1615 version in The English Huswife used water instead of milk, and added sweet spices. The batter is runny and forms a thin layer on the bottom of the frying pan when the pan is tilted. It may form some bubbles during cooking, which results in a pale pancake with dark spots where the bubbles were, but the pancake does not rise. English pancakes are similar to French crêpes and Italian crespelle.
    Crêpes, popular in France, Belgium, Switzerland and Portugal, are made from flour, milk, and eggs. They are thin pancakes and are served with a sweet (fruit, ice cream, jam, chocolate spread) or savoury filling (cheese, ham, seafood, spinach)

The internet seems divided on the question.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Waffles
    I can't even think how you'd begin to distinguish them.

I suppose most Brits stop at serving them with lemon & sugar. That might be it?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I mean I literally just ate both english pancakes and crepes and I live in the UK

They are different?

Maybe the ideal of them was the same, but certainly every single one I've had thicker than any crepe I've ever had

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Waffles
    If you can't distinguish a crepe and a pancake then you've been eating either horribly made crepes or some weird ass pancakes.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Waffles
    I agree with CGP Gray's statement that pancakes are always the safer choice is dealing with an unknown quality.

That is, waffles have a much higher high but a much lower low than pancakes.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I don't think there is a difference, fundamentally. But it seems we Brits have a tendency to over pour the batter resulting in modestly thicker pancakes.

I don't think this is intentional. More, we just don't really have pancakes at any other time of year so most people wouldn't know how thick a pancake should be, nor the differences in traditional Crêpes.

This is all entirely subjective based on my own experience with pancake days over the years, mind.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    Having the same ingredients in different ratios results in wildly different things. I do not imagine that making a good British pancake requires adding those ingredients in the same amounts as in a French crepe. Certainly based on the pictures I’m seeing, they aint cook up looking much like one another.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Waffles
    I mean I literally just ate both english pancakes and crepes and I live in the UK

They are different?

Maybe the ideal of them was the same, but certainly every single one I've had thicker than any crepe I've ever had

This is really interesting.

So it's just thickness? As in the thickness of the pancake itself or the batter? In your opinion could you make pancakes using crêpe batter by just pouring more of it into the pan?

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Waffles
    My problem with the thick (US style) pancakes is that their steaminess lets the theoretically appealing stack of pancakes sog quickly, at least the last time I made some (quite some time ago)

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Waffles
    el_vicio wrote: »
    My problem with the thick (US style) pancakes is that their steaminess lets the theoretically appealing stack of pancakes sog quickly, at least the last time I made some (quite some time ago)

You need to have a puddle for dunking. If you pour the syrup on the pancakes they'll get soggy and claggy quickly, but if you have a separate ramekin or make a lake of syrup to dunk in they retain their structural integrity and you get as much or as little syrup as you need on the pancake

Another reason why waffles are superior

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Waffles
    xdzkjdu6an6l.png

This accurately reflects yesterday.

Although I did have pancakes a couple of weeks back as we needed to try out the new crêpière after the last one ended up decidedly non-flat.

I suppose we sort of landed between French-rules pancake day (la Chandeleur, back in early February) and British-rules pancake day so both nations were appeased.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I had at least five pancakes yesterday.

I had two.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Waffles
    i had some waffles yesterday

they were humble freezer waffles, but still good

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Freezer pancakes annoy me, I feel like freezer waffles are vastly superior.

But I never make from-scratch waffles because waffle iron. Too easy to just make pancakes with sausage crumbles. Plus the toaster waffles are yummy.

Last time I went to Waffle House the waffle I got was pretty lackluster though. No crispness at all, just basically a big pancake.

Also butter because mmmmmfat and also syrup is too messy to me

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Waffles
    Fuck, I need to make time to go to Roscoe's this summer.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Pancakes
    Queueing up for a Scandinavian waffle right now, with jam and gjetost

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]