As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Man, I'd entirely forgotten that, not only did each zone have its own music, its neighbourhoods did as well. Might have to fire up Paragon Chat just to fly around and listen to music for a bit.

Glal on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Fuck NCSoft. I continue to await their demise.

Rip space lobster. I hardly levelled you.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I loved when fire/kins were making runs and invited people to hop on for XP. I loved it so much I made a fire/kin and started doing the same thing.

I remember when I accidentally completed the mission and was literally sooo heartbroken. My kids were confused why Daddy was sad about his video game, but my wife, who also played, knew how devastating that was and not only told me to buy some stuff in game, but 'cheered' me up later on that evening.

I had that mission for years and it was a part of me, damnit!

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Oh dang. May be time to dig up the blueprints for the old Captain Mako Appreciation Society and Scrapbooking Club secret hideout.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Been playing in the Titan Icon thing today

I never bought the Mecha set. That set plus Celestial Wings and Aura? *chef kiss*

Fuck you, modern video game market for not giving me this on the reg

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is there a particular reason why private servers never were a thing for CoX?

Don't link or name any private servers, because rules stuff, I'm just curious since it seems like every dead MMO that was even a little popular got a few up and running.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Is there a particular reason why private servers never were a thing for CoX?

Don't link or name any private servers, because rules stuff, I'm just curious since it seems like every dead MMO that was even a little popular got a few up and running.

Last I heard there are people working on it, just like there's been a couple groups trying to make an indie spiritual successor. Just that it was proving more difficult to reverse-engineer the servers than anticipated, or something.

Wasn't there some US court ruling within the last year or so that found private servers of defunct MMO's to be kosher?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Besides the successor projects, the main effort I know to dig into the code is ParagonChat, which has accomplished more than I expected. It's not a working game, but just being able to log into the world, the city, is amazing. And then there's bases and...

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    There was at least one private server that I'm aware of that actually went live quite a while before the real game shut down, and was active as recently as three years ago, but I'm not sure if it's still extant. I recommend against looking for it in the sternest possible terms. I'm privy to some of the details about why at least two of that server's founders were forced into exile (we're not talking about community ostracism, we're talking about permanent account bans), and you definitely do not want to interact with any system that they have authority over.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    edit: never mind, pretty sure I've said it all before.
    suffice to say: it's a fond memory, but I've pretty much moved on. :/

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    I feel that I would have moved on fairly quickly, if only there had been something to move on to in the realm of video games

The closest I've gotten is tabletop roleplaying games, and even that fails on the pick up and play front, as it's more like organizing a weekly raid that has a 4+ hour time commitment

Which is not something I ever had to do in CoX

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    I have an almost daily pining for robotic rainbow clowns.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    I have an almost daily pining for robotic rainbow clowns.

Sure, but to be fair, I'm pretty sure I had that before CoX.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Part of the reason CoX has had difficulty getting private servers is because, IIRC, part of its background processes ran off of some bizarre excel spreadsheet.

It was not programmed or managed particularly elegantly. Parts of base functionality were infamously broken and remained turned off because no one still worked there who could remember how it was made, there was no programming bible, and the parts of bases that DID work pretty much did so on prayers and unicorn hairs. The team was constantly paranoid about making a change that could bug and fuck up bases because there'd be no unfucking them once that happened.

Suffice to say, the fact that Paragon Chat works at all is a testament to the determination of its makers.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I remember one of the former Devs describing the code as a Gordian Knot.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    I think I've only seen it mentioned in this thread, but the reported difficulty with CoX's code not only comes from it calling data from a single excel spreadsheet, but that all that data had been entered into one single cell that was so overstuffed that it was close to impossible to ever clearly figure out what did what

Which is something that I want to be true

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I want to see that.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I mean remember when bases broke and weren't fixed ever? The original coder was gone and nobody understood how that shit was written. So with the server infrastructure, yeah, I can believe that people have had a hell of a time getting things running.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    I mean remember when bases broke and weren't fixed ever? The original coder was gone and nobody understood how that shit was written. So with the server infrastructure, yeah, I can believe that people have had a hell of a time getting things running.

To be honest, bases were like far and away the least interesting thing in the game to me, second only to PVP. I would totally be fine with a private server effort that just tossed both feature sets in order to focus on just getting the character systems & PVE content playable with other people. Even the mission architect stuff is super low priority to me.

I want to roll a dark/dark defender or dominator and team up with a small band of others to run the Hollows missions and smash Frostfire's face in, or roleplay a man-sized Iron Giant expy saving people from the Clockwork, or fight as a modern fantasy mystical kung fu expert in a setting where they aren't the default, etc. CoH let you have experiences that no other game I'm aware of can fulfill, except maybe Champions Online.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I've had cause many times over to borrow Scotty's line from Star Trek V:

"This game was put t'gether by monkeys."

• Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Then we need more monkeys.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Then we need more monkeys.

OUrgDBc.jpg

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I miss city of Heroes/Villans so much. Having fun with my travel powers checking out all the exploration areas to get my badges. Good times.

I’ve lurked a lot longer on this site than being a member here and still remember fondly someone’s Zombie Dead Presidents and handy macros to get my undead pets to all read newspapers.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Signed into ParagonChat to make a character and fly around town for a bit. Probably make a few more before it gets old. May sign on when they have an event to look at other costumes.

The Iron Apparition flies again!

gb5c262pa4oc.png

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    Fuck NCSoft. I continue to await their demise.

Rip space lobster. I hardly levelled you.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Oh, is it that time of year again?
    Time to scrape open the old wound, sprinkle in a little bit of salt and a squeeze of lemon?

• Options
    I hold out hope for SEGS being playable some day.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    I'm willing to put money on the only way there'd be a private server is that the devs somehow leaked the server running programs.

And whoever had that would probably be super paranoid.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    Why? There are plenty of server emulators that don't need official server code to run (unless you think Blizzard leaked their server code for WoW), though most of those were built by collecting actual server responses to determine functionality.

In this case, SEGS is covering their asses by building it as a generic superhero MMO emulator that just "happens" to let CoX connect to it. It's not even using any of the server-side content, they'll basically be building their own missions and content once it gets far enough, it's the online equivalent of firing up your copy of Quake and pointing it to a different map pack file.

How much that'll help remains to be seen, legality has never stopped a large company from suing a small group. Maybe NCSoft have finally realised being assholes is bad publicity, or maybe their current financial troubles will keep them from wasting further money on this.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They'd be better off removing all mention of CoH/CoX from their code if that's how they want to play it.

Typically emulated servers for MMOs operate in a legal gray area because they don't typically have code from the parent company in them and don't do anything that's really technically illegal in any way. The only time it becomes a problem is if you start charging for access to your emulated stuff. But that's easy to get around.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    To be honest, I'm really surprised NCsoft hasn't done something with the license since their Arena type game.
    I mean, it may not have a huge following (as far as global MMO numbers go), but how blind do you have to be to see super hero movies pulling down billions of dollars and not think "Hey, don't we have something like that in the vault?".

see317 on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah even if you don't want to do a full on MMO again, do something with it

• Options
    Hey, they included Statesman in that MOBA they killed after 2 months! Eh? Eh?

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Hey, they included Statesman in that MOBA they killed after 2 months! Eh? Eh?

Yeah, that's the one I was referencing with the arena type game. Was just blanking on the MOBA acronym.
    Guess I didn't realize it had been killed.

• Options
    Yeah, quite quickly, too. Shame, I enjoyed the PVE portion, it was like an MMO dungeon run played from top-down, good fun to just play with friends.

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Remember the first time you finished the tutorial and loaded into this?

https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//1/14/AtlasPark_AtlasPlaza.ogg

Edit: Or the Galaxy version which was the same I believe.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm really surprised NCsoft hasn't done something with the license since their Arena type game.
    I mean, it may not have a huge following (as far as global MMO numbers go), but how blind do you have to be to see super hero movies pulling down billions of dollars and not think "Hey, don't we have something like that in the vault?".
    After they shuttered the game citing it wasn't doing well enough business-wise* someone went into talks with them to buy the rights. Then NCSoft out of nowhere said it was worth like 80 million dollars, which the stock market people said "WTF WHY DID YOU CLOSE IT THEN" to. NCSoft tried to pull some "well this property still has lots of value" crap.

So that, in addition to what was said in the quote above, tells me that a court can make this shit public domain if the right lawsuit comes about. You claim value but do nothing to capitalize on it. Fuck off NCSoft.

*it wasn't as popular in South Korea as the USA

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

It's one of those things that suggests to me that NCsoft isn't run by the smartest of businessmen. I mean, they shut down CoH mere months after the first Avengers movie came out, during a period where the game was pretty much the most lively it had ever been outside of launch. If development had continued, it would probably still be one of the most popular MMOs around - way more than Guild Wars 2, that's for sure.

It's the kind of decision I can only attribute to myopia, incompetence, or both.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    It wasn't a profit decision per say, it was a "we're hurting financially this year, let's cut some small bits to show our shareholders we're Doing Stuff". The same way companies have been firing people left and right this year in an attempt to stop their stock price from dropping due to poor financial results.

Like, I'm not going to defend NCSoft, but in this case the blame lies more on our fucked economic system where year-on-year shareholder return growth trumps everything, including the health of the company.