As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The historic Notre Dame cathedral was on fire

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    jesus

that looks...a lot worse than the headlines suggested

Shorty on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    What the?

Holy shit

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hopefully no one has been injured or killed, it's Holy Week for Catholics (Palm Sunday, which was yesterday, through Easter Sunday) and Notre Dame is already a huge tourist attraction, so I have to assume there were a lot of people around.

jgeis on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This fucking sucks

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh man, my bet is one of the renovation workers feels like a real jerk right now.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    How???

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the fire might have been claiming sanctuary

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Goddammit Quasimodo

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    the spire just collapsed entirely as well

and it looks like the interior blaze is massive as well

the place might get gutted

this is incredibly tragic

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Oh no, that’s terrible.

• Options
    by all reports the fire was an accident, caused by work being done on the roof area somehow

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Wild for it to have survived through events as massive and chaotic as the French Revolution and both World Wars without suffering enough damage to be totally written off, only to seemingly have been totally gutted by fire on a random Monday in 2019.

jgeis on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Yeah this is a cultural catastrophe for Paris and France in general. Notre Dame is, or should I say was, the most classic face of Paris.

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »
    by all reports the fire was an accident, caused by work being done on the roof area somehow

If we were putting bets down I'd wager on poorly-executed flashing installation. It wouldn't be the first cathedral to burn down to it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fuck. :(

While not wholly focused on the structure, Lindsay Ellis's essay on The Hunchback of Notre Dame touches on why the structure has survived till even now.. and how important it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIIWy3TZ1eI

It sounds like it's going to be a total loss.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine what they'll do when the fire's done. Like.. do they try to rebuild? Leave what's left as a tourist attraction?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

If we were putting bets down I'd wager on poorly-executed flashing installation. It wouldn't be the first cathedral to burn down to it.

flashing installation?

is that something used for welding?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    I can't even imagine what they'll do when the fire's done. Like.. do they try to rebuild? Leave what's left as a tourist attraction?

Honestly? I don't see any way they don't rebuild.

Probably leave the original cornerstone, or if any sections of it have enough of the framework in-tact, leave it as the "original" section. Rebuild the remainder as close to original as possible.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It took almost three hundred years to build Notre Dame, and it has stood for almost seven hundred years now. It's almost incomprehensible that it is just burning down now, without any way to stop it.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So uh.

Tony Jay's song from the Disney movie is going to be tough to listen to now

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

flashing installation?

is that something used for welding?

Flashing is the metal bits along seams on a roof. On a regular house you can have single pieces, but on something as large as the cathedral they'd have to join the pieces in place, which a while back caused another cathedral to smoke and then catch.

They could have also been using torches or tar or something, but that's such an obvious mistake I can't imagine they made it (and also don't know if their roof would require it).

A duck! on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It took almost three hundred years to build Notre Dame, and it has stood for almost seven hundred years now. It's almost incomprehensible that it is just burning down now, without any way to stop it.

To be fair, the 300 year build time was due to the cost and knowledge of building materials and so on and so forth. A modern reconstruction of a gothic cathedral should go much, much faster, especially if the French gov't and its people get behind it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine "notre dame is good and should be rebuilt" is anything other than a deeply-held conviction by virtually every French person

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »

The french are very invested in the building as one of the most important cultural landmarks in Paris and I would not be surprised if they spend a lot of money to rebuild and restore it as much as they can.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

To be fair, the 300 year build time was due to the cost and knowledge of building materials and so on and so forth. A modern reconstruction of a gothic cathedral should go much, much faster, especially if the French gov't and its people get behind it.

Oh, no doubt. I'm endlessly awestruck that they were able to built it at all with the technology they had at the time. With today's building techniques, it could be rebuilt fairly quickly, but it will never be the same wonder.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I can't imagine "notre dame is good and should be rebuilt" is anything other than a deeply-held conviction by virtually every French person

The only thing I worry about is views on religion are shifting around the globe right now.. but I also believe Notre Dame can transcend that, due to its position as a symbol of the French people and their strength.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I don't think they'll rebuild. The cost of even repairing a historical building like this is astronomical, I would imagine they will keep what remains as a museum to the history but I don't think they'll be rebuilding.

• Options
    surely even the catholic church would dig deep into its coffers to help rebuild it

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Oh, no doubt. I'm endlessly awestruck that they were able to built it at all with the technology they had at the time. With today's building techniques, it could be rebuilt fairly quickly, but it will never be the same wonder.

Why can't it be? The Alamo is a major tourist attraction and cultural icon in Texas despite the fact that the vast majority of it had to be completely rebuilt after it was destroyed. Whether a building is in its original form or not, once it has become a symbol it will always be as it is, even if it's completely razed to the ground and rebuilt time and again. It won't stop being the Cathedral of Notre Dame

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Was there just last September and will be there again in late August this year. The idea that Notre Dame won't be there is a weird one to try and process. Will be curious to see what is going on by that time with the site.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Notre Dame made it through the Revolution which was a period of time where views on religion had shifted into a "hang all the priests" sort of vibe

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh man, my bet is one of the renovation workers feels like a real jerk right now.
    There's going to be a lot of people who react in extreme fashion against the worker(s) in question, who probably feel awful enough as it is.

• Options
    I made a quip in the D&D Chat thread about being able to rebuild because the foundations were strong, echoing Korg from Thor: Ragnarok.

I didn't know the foundations and framework were made out of wood.

Whelp.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Any reported casualties yet?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019

The history and spirit can persist, even if the building does not

Butler For Life #1 on