As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USMNT: The Next [Soccer] Generation

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    The build-up to the second leg of the Libertadores Cup final descended into violence and farce over the weekend.
    So much so, there's a chance the game may never be played.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/nov/26/argentinian-football-chance-to-prove-it-changed-river-plate-boca-juniors-copa-libertadores

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Last page tweet still fitting:
    There’s such a thing as liking football too much.

• Options
    So it's been decided that the second leg of the Copa Libertadores final will played in Madrid on Dec. 9th
    This raises an interesting question:

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The Timbers got by KC last night and have made it to the MLS Cup final against Atlanta. Two things of note.

First, my voice is still a little sore from the response to this shot:

And second, like 2015, they're driving the log cross-country to be at the final and I almost hope ATL (jokingly) reworks their stadium policy the way Columbus did at the time:
    gz1dbns18ky0.png

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    It was quite the match, especially compared to the rather frustrating ECF that preceded it.

The fact that the away goal rule and the result of the first leg ensured the game had to end after regulation (give or take 10 minutes of added time) really added to it. No turtling up the last 15 minutes and hoping to win it in extra time/penalties.

• Options

Sometimes better to be lucky than good

• Options
    The end of the Merseyside derby is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Incredibly on-brand for Klopp. Love it.

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Between SKC losing and the Merseyside debacle, I officially hate soccer again.

BRING ME A HANDEGG.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Scored a suite ticket for the MLS Cup final. Gonna be lit!

• Options
    Jose out at Utd, just as I was starting to like him.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Immediately Zidane's name trends in the US because Man U fans are too much.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

ManU fans have been dreaming of Zidane since the second he bailed on Real Madrid.

• Options
    The smart move is Pochettino, but that isn't happening mid-season.

Also, I think he's more likely to go to Madrid anyway.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Why

were you starting to like him

If you're not a United fan, then I get it
    Pellaeon wrote: »

ManU fans have been dreaming of Zidane since the second he bailed on Real Madrid.

I think he's already ruled himself out for the job

• Options

Why

I think he's already ruled himself out for the job

Ha, as if that will stop them!

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Club said they're hiring a temporary manager for the rest of the season

Rumors are Blanc or Solskjær for the temp job, and Pochettino for the permanent

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options

Why

tis2n8309u44.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »

I keep hearing this from the ManU side but never from him.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Relevant to current discussions:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-KcTRbf82A

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »

I keep hearing this from the ManU side but never from him.

Well, I mean, he's still under contract with another team, so unless it becomes official, he's definitely going to stay mum.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Pulisic has signed with Chelsea but will remain in Germany on loan until the summer.

• Options
    This Ajax team is really something

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I hospitalised a guy today. Never done that before.

My own season started 3 weeks ago. Been playing pretty well. Draw first week. Big win second.

Ran out against University today on the college turf. Regular game, some nice Autumn afternoon Sun. Friendly match, both teams playing well. We found the back of the net twice in the first half with the wind behind us.

10 minutes into the second half we had a corner. I'm strong in the air so usually try to hover somewhere dangerous. I have a shadow, of course. Energetic young ball of energy half my age. Ball came my way so my marker and I jumped. Head clash. Solid bell ringer. My marker goes down.

And doesn't get up.

It's a freak accident, just one of those things that happens on the football field. Heads meet, someone goes down, usually gets back up. But he can't move. Dizzy, bright lights. Left leg numb and unable to sit up. Shooting pain in his neck and back. Ambulance called. Game abandoned.

It's neck brace and back board when the paras get there. Dude's conscious and alert, but neck injury and solid concussion means he's going in for observation, probably overnight.

I've done a lot of thing over the years. Been a midfield enforcer; a defender. Gone in hard before, used my body with intent to make people know when they've crossed a line. I don't like doing it, and try to play as much as I can without going there, but sometimes it's what's necessary for the good of the game (this also sucks).

It's weird to me then that this casual incident, this freak innocent moment, is the first time I've really put someone down so bad they needed emergency medical attention. All those times I've gone in hard, all those times I've thrown out legs, knees, shoulders; all those times I've put someone on the ground and this is the moment we have to dial 111.

I feel for the guy. He's only 18. I was literally playing for University myself the year he was born. I know it's just an unfortunate accident, so don't feel guilty, exactly, but I hope he's okay and I hope he recovers.

Just kinda an unfortunate day.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    but I hope he's okay and I hope he recovers

:bro:

• Options
    Just going to mention in here that if Leeds fuck up this season at this point, I'm going to actually die.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Just going to mention in here that if Leeds fuck up this season at this point, I'm going to actually die.

RIP given today's result then

• Options
    edited April 2019
    I am dead to the world, the world is dead to me.

Got to say I'd been hoping for us and Sheffield Utd to go up and get a bit more Yorkshire back in the top division.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    I am dead to the world, the world is dead to me.

Got to say I'd been hoping for us and Sheffield Utd to go up and get a bit more Yorkshire back in the top division.

As a Blade I too was extremely keen to go up as well! You've got good playoff chances though. Well, Villa actually are on fire recently but if you can get back on form...

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Can only hope Villa have peaked a touch too soon.

Even if we stay down here I can live with it if Bielsa doesn't leave, it's a bit much to expect someone to come in and turn the whole thing around in just one season.

Prolegomena on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Bielsa has done great work, they'd absolutely be complete fools to not keep him by hook or by crook. Arguably the best manager in the Championship and probably matched only by Wilder.

Solar on
  • Options
    Bielsa doesn't tend to hang around at clubs, he usually ends up falling out with everyone.

He is a genius though.

• Options
    Bielsa doesn't tend to hang around at clubs, he usually ends up falling out with everyone.

He is a genius though.

This little talk has revealed to me that I'm actually more worried about him leaving than I am about us not getting promoted, one season just wouldn't be enough of him.

• Options
  • Options
    just sails over and bonk! into the net, *mwah mwah*

• Options
  • Options
    @Prolegomena

So

what happened mate

Ipswitch

• Options
    Half the squad visibly went on holiday as soon as we got that goal against Sheff Wed, the other half as soon as Wigan gave away a penalty and had a player sent off at Elland Road. With any luck they'll come back in time for the playoffs.