As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The source code is out there now. That's all that matters really.

Soon there will be many fires.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I'm playing the game while I can and hoping NCSoft just decide to ignore it. If they don't, well, then I wait for the secondary servers to pop up.

But I'm hoping they have some semblance of PR damage control at this point and just let it go, or come to an agreement with the team.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I'm playing the game while I can and hoping NCSoft just decide to ignore it. If they don't, well, then I wait for the secondary servers to pop up.

But I'm hoping they have some semblance of PR damage control at this point and just let it go, or come to an agreement with the team.

It's nice to have hope, but judging from past NCsoft actions, they may not actually know what PR Damage Control is.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So, two things.
    1, I don't know anything about Leandro other than what I've seen posted - I was dealing with my own stuff during shutdown, my own efforts to save some portion of the game - but he doesn't seem to be "just some rando". I'm pretty sure he's not secretly Positron, but from what others are saying, he's not nobody.
    2. Again, from what I've seen posted, this doesn't look to me like a cult so much as "if NCsoft ever hears a word of this they will nuke it from orbit and then CoH will be dead, completely, forever." Which, y'know, they still might at any time. Ever since news of this broke, I've been waiting for the hammer to fall. The optimism I've been seeing is inspiring, but at the same time, I still wonder what NCsoft's response is going to be or if we're going to run into any other show-stoppers like yesterday's panic over the GDPR. This could all end as quickly as it started. As a friend of mine noted today, the current effort is all taking place right out in the open... and unfortunately, transparency also equals (potential) exposure and liability. I think the people involved could maybe stand to keep things a little more under wraps, exercise some discretion and opsec, until we know what the official word/stance is. If all of this gets shut down, if we lose the City again so soon after we got it back, it's going to be crushing to a lot of folks.

(Again, apologies for the wet blanket, but the original shutdown + the last couple of years have made it hard for me to have hope sometimes.)

You do realize that NCSoft has no power to "nuke it from orbit" right

They send a C&D, one private server goes down, another one crops up a day or a week later. That's the whole point of disseminating things to the broader public. Private servers are not some new concept. We have done this dance before. There's seriously no need to go to bat for this weird control freak, I promise you.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Well since everyone ignored me I guess this thread is locked.

Geth, please close this thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Hey! We can have this thread back! You can talk about the game! Don’t tell people how to access it! Tell them to google it!

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    We were stood next to an EXCELLENT
    Carmen Sandiego last night at the Pop Culture Costume Contest. Really well done.

First prize went to a pretty good Xenomorph, but my highlights were Carmen, Spider Gwen, and a pretty good Bumblebee.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    pfft what game, I don't see any game

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    We were stood next to an EXCELLENT
    Carmen Sandiego last night at the Pop Culture Costume Contest. Really well done.

First prize went to a pretty good Xenomorph, but my highlights were Carmen, Spider Gwen, and a pretty good Bumblebee.
    My favourite was Tina Belcher, handing out her erotic friendfiction. <3

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I really was tempted to jump on with my The Shredder or perhaps my Natsu, but had other things going on that day.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I was also otherwise occupied, or I would have brought VERB (who I've recreated from live, Virtue to be specific).

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So, I'm just assuming that everyone else feels the same way that I do?

Namely, like your children died and then came back to life?

• Options
    I haven't slept properly in weeks partly because I've been teaching night classes but also mostly because I've been playing non-stop

• Options
    Honestly, I'm still kind of stuck on uneasy anticipation of NCsoft finding someway to burn it down again.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I got my FF Defender back up to 50.

It was somewhat bemusing at first, because there are very clearly people that never played before jumping on and misunderstanding just how powerful support can be in CoH. It takes people a while to grok that raw healing is your last, least preferable, line of defense.

I'm playing a Super Reflexes tank now for funsies.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Been playing almost every day and have 1 level 50 and 22 other alts. Can't stop won't stop.

• Options
    Got my second 50 now.

I'm way behind A CERTAIN SOMEONE but I'm enjoying the heck out of the game again.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I still only have the one

but, an increasing stable of characters mired in the high 20s to mid 30s

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'd probably be finished with my corruptor's enhancements and on my way to decking out my brute if it wasn't for certain other MMOs :D

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    My biggest problem is I get a cool concept to mid 20s then jump to the next cool concept.

And this game makes it so easy to indulge your altitis

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    My biggest problem is I get a cool concept to mid 20s then jump to the next cool concept.

And this game makes it so easy to indulge your altitis

Yeah, know the feel. Tried a TW Brute twice (hated it), then a Rad/Rad Brute (liked it, have it as a backup), then shopped around until I landed on Demons/Thermal MM, currently 39.

screenshot_190628-20-44-04.jpg

Praetorian since I realized that I wasn't going to learn how to MM on DFB. Do like how I colored the Thermal powers to fit the Demons original power colors since I liked those.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    0DsZHeQ.png

Someone help me name this character, quick
    Praetorian Psi/Energy Tech Stalker

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Psybersphere

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dammit, I already went with ORB System

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    My bespoke pun names take time!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The orb floating head is fun. Used one on my Beast/Trick Arrow MM.
    npc07jvb4hdd.jpg

A homonculus built from long preserved meat byproduct treats, the scraps of a well loved blanket, a pile of well chewed bones and a tennis ball with years of fetch left in it, it's no surprise that Attaboy attracts a variety of pets to his side. Nor is it a surprise that they show considerable and unwavering loyalty.

The whole "tearing out throats on command" thing, does tend to raise a few eyebrows.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    You can rename your characters for free!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I named a character like that Algorithm.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I'm still working on her costume, but I made an elec/elec tech dominator named Circuit Broad. I'm imagining her as sort of a Catwoman-style femme fatale criminal/anti-hero (not sure whether Vigilante or Rogue would be more appropriate for that).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I'm still amazed at how nice you can make characters in what's basicly a rehauled 2004 MMO engine.
    This is aphetoros, my archer/tactical arrow blaster.
    MYI3Maf.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options

Wait, what????

• Options
    mori1972mori1972 FF14: Rhotfyr Thosinmharsyn (Y)UKRegistered User regular
    Euch...I'm trying sooo hard not to get dragged back into this. I mean, I know I'm going to fail miserably but I can't help but think that letting it sink its claws in again is just setting myself up for more sorrow further down the line.

I can already feel the itch of recreating my Dark blaster gay villain, with the butchest of mutton chops and the musclebeariest of bodies....

It's all saltwater these days:
    Ocean, tears and heartbreak soup
    Half alive in a whitecap foam
    Half in love with a white half moon
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So, way back during the original run of the game, my brother in law made a character to tool around a little and see if it was something he was interested in. He liked it, but wasn't interested in subscribing, and by the time it went free to play he'd gotten rid of his desktop and only had a laptop that wasn't suited to run games. His character was named Foestriker (can't remember his build other than it was a Brute):
    zyh6dzcvxnic.jpg
    7cwtckjop94w.jpg
    Lately, I showed a little of the game (with chat and word bubbles turned off) to my 4 year old nephew when he was visiting, and he came up with the following characters:
    jpor3qk5e391.jpg
    4n4gl1b2qirm.jpg
    5olehy6kg808.jpg
    This one was a concept of his that couldn't be made (no crab legs on non crab spiders)
    ilke2u5egmi9.jpg
    so it got reworked into this:
    qtp5jn9o8aaq.jpg
    And here's the Arachnos Soldier he came up with:
    8evw50ciia71.jpg
    Now, he hasn't seen his dad's character, so the similarities are really amusing to me.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

Wait, what????

At the character select screen, click the pencil icon at the top. You can also alter your costume (including the extra costume slots) for free until level 10.

• Options
    mori1972 wrote: »
    Euch...I'm trying sooo hard not to get dragged back into this. I mean, I know I'm going to fail miserably but I can't help but think that letting it sink its claws in again is just setting myself up for more sorrow further down the line.

I can already feel the itch of recreating my Dark blaster gay villain, with the butchest of mutton chops and the musclebeariest of bodies....

Join us, @mori1972 JOOOOOIN USSSSSS.

ctst7h7oh1o8.jpg

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »
    mori1972 wrote: »

Join us, @mori1972 JOOOOOIN USSSSSS.

ctst7h7oh1o8.jpg

kbe7h1lpsuhs.jpg

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yay for return of the thread! Have not played much for weeks due to moving, hoping to get back on soon. I haven't gotten a single character to 30 yet.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    This... is a thing? For really reals this time? Itshappening.gif?

• Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    No, you are in fact dreaming right now.