Options

Revolutionary Girl [chat]

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    I just looked it up, he's been doing it since 2011.

Except he actually missed 2017, so never mind, he's garbage just like the rest of you.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm always perplexed that adult men have like zero friends. Maybe its a generational thing?

Friends are super important!

Men aren't trained to do emotional labor like women are

Most guys, for instance, don't send their friends birthday cards

A-are we supposed to

I just spend a lot of time looking at older men and trying to figure out what things they might have wished to do when they were my age

I bet bros who are hanging around hardware stores desperately trying to strike up conversation wish they had more longtime friends, is all

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    As my friends have their social lives obliterated by children, thus destabilizing mine as well, I can't help but think that our weird, isolated traditions of child-rearing also contribute

Of course if it were different, I'd have to like, deal with their kids more often, which sounds terrible tbh

I am very pro-communal child rearing, which we would do in our communal housing

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm always perplexed that adult men have like zero friends. Maybe its a generational thing?

A-are we supposed to

Guys I know would rather get a pizza with their friends or a nice dinner and keep wastes of money at the store where they belong.

You don't need to buy cards to bond with a person, you just have to know what they like.

"Hey bro it's your birthday let's go do some laser tag" or "hey let's have a gaycation" whatever y'all are comfortable with

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    I’m so close to deleting FB. It’s a good birthday reminder, though!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

A-are we supposed to

Guys I know would rather get a pizza with their friends or a nice dinner and keep wastes of money at the store where they belong.

You don't need to buy cards to bond with a person, you just have to know what they like.

"Hey bro it's your birthday let's go do some laser tag" or "hey let's have a gaycation" whatever y'all are comfortable with

"Its your birthday bro, here's some 4 ply, it's like wiping your ass with god."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man I do not like sending or receiving birthday cards

I'm glad people don't send them anymore
    I send out Birthday Cards all the freakin' time! But I have noticed that I'm often the only one, and most of my friend group skews younger than I am. We do have this fun "regifting" thing going on where various objects have been gifted and regifted to other friends in this long chain. For example, there's a battery attached to a small red LED and a hairclip that has been passed along to 5 people so far... everyone loves having this glowy thing in their hair or beard. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

A-are we supposed to

Happy birthday, eddy

I have sent you a playing card with red X's over the eyes

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I'm not great at this kind of thing, tbh. One thing I used to do is send people thoughtful things, like when my friends got a new apartment and I was able to have delivered some odds and ends that they mentioned needing (paper towel holder, soap dispenser, ice cube trays, etc). No longer using Amazon makes that more difficult, but basically everyone loves presents and it's more special to get one 'just because' than because of a birthday or holiday.

Maybe some of you have examples of thoughtfulness to share?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    The trick to dealing with oil changes is apparently to just live in the UK where I don't know anybody who has ever changed their oil.

Maybe our car engines are just full of ancient sludge. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe it's part of the mysterious annual service that a good 25% of people bother with.

It's this one, usually.

It's often an upsell from wherever you get your mot but many people genuinely do not bother and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. For most people they will never see the six figure mileages where historic lack of oil changes start to cause problems.

Having said that I bought my last car with 135,000 miles on it and a proper oil system flush and oil change made a huge difference, but that oil was possibly 10+ years old.

Wait, what?

We change oil here every ~3000-5000 miles. Do y'all top it off, or..?

Maybe? Not commonly unless you know it leaks.

Most people regard their car engine as essentially a sealed unit unless it has problems.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    As my friends have their social lives obliterated by children, thus destabilizing mine as well, I can't help but think that our weird, isolated traditions of child-rearing also contribute

Of course if it were different, I'd have to like, deal with their kids more often, which sounds terrible tbh

I am very pro communal child rearing, which we would do in our communal housing

as long as i have my own room with attached full bathroom and mini fridge i'm cool with communal housing

and soundproof walls

and no social obligations unless i feel like participating

i think that's all my demands

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    send a deck for mtg to your best buddy and ruin their lives and bank account in one fell swoop!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    strong wifi

• Options
    I always feel weird saying happy birthday to people on Facebook so I mostly do not and just send texts

https://youtu.be/oy98BU-cf_E

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Ich

Except he actually missed 2017, so never mind, he's garbage just like the rest of you.
    I think I congratulated you on this very site in 2017.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »

Do it

Be weird uncle EM, who just kind of sits in the corner and can't figure out what to do when a kid runs over to him.

When my cousin was visiting with the new baby, his wife asked me if I wanted to hold him, and I said "no," and everyone yelled at me

Then I held him, dutifully, and he started crying immediately

The child is weak and I do not respect him

I had to hold my baby cousin last weekend because Querry made me, and it was.. awkward.

How do I hold this tiny meat sack?

Oh no, he is heavy, how do I switch arms? His neck will break if I do this wrong and I will have to run, but I am close to a window so I can jump through it and escape.

• Options
    Haphazard wrote: »

This feel ominous to anyone else? Haps all holding the button over facebook as a site "well you've caused more harm in this world than not, time for your DELETION! Ok we're done time to do something else german like sausages or strudel"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

i probably would

but then i also got a video from my brother yesterday watching his youngest crawl for the first time

so like

i dunno i could set up that kind of infrastructure with my family elsewhere but

for now this is fine, i don't really use it otherwise

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    visiblehwol casts summon Haphazard: It is very successful

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I don't know what to do with babies and if I ever decide to have any I am going to definitely wait until some friends do so I can help out a lot and crib from their journey or whatever

Pinecone's pretty good with kids of all ages but idk how to talk to them until they hit double digits

Blameless Cleric on
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

This feel ominous to anyone else? Haps all holding the button over facebook as a site "well you've caused more harm in this world than not, time for your DELETION! Ok we're done time to do something else german like sausages or strudel"
    Haphazard is the sword of Damocles.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

Eddy come start a heretical movement with me

Reclaim The Village! The individual demands community and we will have it! Folks, you have nothing to lose but your late nights aimlessly scrolling away your loneliness!

*steps down from roof of cop car to begin delicately tending spinach plants*

• Options
    Garfunkel and Oates really do have a song for every millenial feeling I get.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Do it

Be weird uncle EM, who just kind of sits in the corner and can't figure out what to do when a kid runs over to him.

When my cousin was visiting with the new baby, his wife asked me if I wanted to hold him, and I said "no," and everyone yelled at me

I've told this before i'm sure but not too long ago porp was at a playgroup thing and a mom was there with a newborn

mom handed said newborn over to porp to hold for a bit as she needed her hands free and porp audibly said "gross"

oops

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Between Flight of the Conchords, Garfunkel and Oates, and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, I feel like all of my bases are covered.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

I'm a big fan of "I feel dead inside let's bankrupt TGIFridays"

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

I love the idea of communal housing. But I would be the bad roommate. It would only work if someone was in charge of giving me things to do and somehow enforcing them. Otherwise there would be dishes everywhere and the bathroom would never get cleaned.

Friends and I have been toying around the idea of doing something like a multi-unit building with common areas. Everyone gets their own kitchen or bathroom for themselves and maybe a partner or roommate, but the whole building is styled as a community.

• Options
    I would love it if you all came and lived on my block and helped raise my kids kthx also then maybe porp would let me adopt more like I want

• Options

Do it

I've told this before i'm sure but not too long ago porp was at a playgroup thing and a mom was there with a newborn

mom handed said newborn over to porp to hold for a bit as she needed her hands free and porp audibly said "gross"

oops
    I really don't understand the holding of the baby thing. I don't want to drop the little tyke!

But holding kittehs, that is good and noble and right, even if the kitteh doesn't want to be held.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options

I'm a big fan of "I feel dead inside let's bankrupt TGIFridays"

I prefer "My parents fucked me, but tell me I'm to blame"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I love the idea of communal housing. But I would be the bad roommate. It would only work if someone was in charge of giving me things to do and somehow enforcing them. Otherwise there would be dishes everywhere and the bathroom would never get cleaned.

Friends and I have been toying around the idea of doing something like a multi-unit building with common areas. Everyone gets their own kitchen or bathroom for themselves and maybe a partner or roommate, but the whole building is styled as a community.
    My Bay Area friends and I have been toying with that idea as well, the idea of a TotallyNotACult commune. But mostly because of housing prices.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Everyone thinks communal housing is great until they have a truly bad roommate, ie me.

Sure, I'll do those dishes when I get a chance, I say, sitting bare-assed on the couch, industrial nail clippers making upsetting crunches as they grind through the thick wedges of fungal devastation I call my toenails, crescents of mottled beige flying into the air and lurking in the carpet to stab your foot three days later

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

That's the dream.

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Do it

oops
    I really don't understand the holding of the baby thing. I don't want to drop the little tyke!

But holding kittehs, that is good and noble and right, even if the kitteh doesn't want to be held.

I've never once asked to hold a friend's baby cuz ya, sorry I don't have any fkin interest in your own personal little stinky blob

get back to me when it can hold a conversation

• Options
    I would love it if you all came and lived on my block and helped raise my kids kthx also then maybe porp would let me adopt more like I want
    And here, we have another example of the "Tragedy of the Commons".

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Do it

oops

babs are so warm and sometimes they grab onto you with their teeny little hands so tight and their heads release an inexplicably alluring odor that i think is basically like a cat's poop toxins that makes you want to take care of them

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular

hahahahahahahano

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    or "Hey asshole what generation bought me those participation trophies"

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    If we just keep talking about this cult compound/co-op for another two decades maybe we can make it actually happen

• Options
    Ich

I think I congratulated you on this very site in 2017.

Shit, I think you're right.

Okay, Haps is back to Good Guy status.

vRyue2p.png
This discussion has been closed.