Options

Revolutionary Girl [chat]

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Our shit healthcare system is a big part of homelessness in the US too. We have a pathetically low per captia of mental health care facilities so lots of mentally ill people just end up on the street.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Through some miracle of bowl geometry and water pressure I managed to, while sitting down to pee, pee onto my own penis.

I am utterly flabbergasted.

Congratulations on being the ouroboros of urination

Wouldn't that be peeing into your own butt

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    TL DR wrote: »
    Entirely decommodifying housing seems like a common sense solution to the problem. My grandparents' apartment building in Chicago is operated as a tenants' co-op and does perfectly well.

It may shock some of you to hear me say this, but landlords

are bad

I think classical economists even agree with you that landlords are rent seeking scum.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Rent-seeking behavior is the classical theoretical underpinning of capitalism tho isn't it

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    The two modes of [chat]

xr00czexbv6f.png

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    cred can join my exclusive club
    its the oh-god-i-hope-i-dont-become-my-dad club
    it has great perks like
    only talking every couple of months
    really really awkward dinners
    wondering if they'll remember you on your birthday/other important holidays

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    I just had lunch with my dad and verified that he actually has no internal life or empathy

Me: ‘I didn’t want to talk about anything other than work’
    Dad: ‘well in the past when I didn’t bring up your stuff you said I was deliberately avoiding the issue so I thought I would mention it’
    Me: ‘so you’re just reacting to the negative stimulus by trying the other option. Has it occurred to you to think about what it feels like to be me, day to day, and what I might want from an interaction with my parents?’
    Dad: ‘no. I don’t do that for anyone and it wouldn’t occur to me to do that.’
    Me: ‘wait what do you normally think about—like what is your internal monologue?’
    Dad: ? I don’t understand
    Me: like at work are you just like, I’m at work, and then at home you’re like, I’m going to go take a picture of a bird? Cause when I’m at work I am always analyzing how other people might be feeling or thinking in general or about me, and thinking about other relationships in my life, and like about what’s going on in my roleplaying games, etc
    Dad: I don’t think about that sort of thing; I don’t think I have an internal monologue
    Me: you know how [my sister] lives entirely in her head right—that’s what I mean. Like, she blogs, but you would never write a blog
    Dad: correct
    Me: I don’t know how common it is to have so little interiority
    Dad: I’m not sure and it’s never occurred to me to wonder about that

Huhhhhhhh he is an alien basically
    But this does explain why he’s like ok I acknowledged we fucked things up with you when you came out
    Yeah, you said some shitty things. How do you intend to change that?
    By...not saying shitty things?
    ...yeah ok I guess that’s all I can ask here

I explained a whole list of what parents could have done/could do in order to be good parents, and I was also like, this is trivially obvious if you spend one second considering the situation from my perspective or trying to imagine how I feel—but my dad doesn’t do that, apparently. Which explains a lot...

Also when he retires he wants to make bespoke maps. ‘I made this map of ocean currents in python from noaa data but it takes 5 minutes to render...’

Who is this person and also this is obviously why I am so weird

It's amazing how a lot of times we end up being half our parents

I am pretty sure I have more emotional intelligence than both my parents combined, but my mom hides her lack of empathy better because she was born female in 1955 and as such was very much expected to be a friendly and pleasant person her whole life, and she cares neurotically much about other people’s opinions of her, and as such developed to fit expectations. But she as far as I can tell never actually considers what another person might think or feel, just makes some halfassed assumptions based on herself and leaves it at that.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Eddy wrote: »
    Rent-seeking behavior is the classical theoretical underpinning of capitalism tho isn't it

Nah. Rent seeking doesn't create new wealth but just expands a person's share of the wealth. Destroying cottage textile manufacturing by creating capital intensive factories that could much more efficiently produce textiles created new wealth instead of just taking a bigger share of the wealth. Even old fashioned Marxism assumed there was wealth being created and considered that one of the reasons capitalism would eventually disappear.

Couscous on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    My sister turned into my Dad somehow.

It's possible she even knows this and is maybe why she avoids LTR or kids in general.

Like I dont think it occurs to my dad that he has kids and grandkids on a regular basis.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I just had lunch with my dad and verified that he actually has no internal life or empathy

Dad: ‘well in the past when I didn’t bring up your stuff you said I was deliberately avoiding the issue so I thought I would mention it’
    Me: ‘so you’re just reacting to the negative stimulus by trying the other option. Has it occurred to you to think about what it feels like to be me, day to day, and what I might want from an interaction with my parents?’
    Me: ‘wait what do you normally think about—like what is your internal monologue?’
    Me: like at work are you just like, I’m at work, and then at home you’re like, I’m going to go take a picture of a bird? Cause when I’m at work I am always analyzing how other people might be feeling or thinking in general or about me, and thinking about other relationships in my life, and like about what’s going on in my roleplaying games, etc
    Dad: I don’t think about that sort of thing; I don’t think I have an internal monologue
    Me: you know how [my sister] lives entirely in her head right—that’s what I mean. Like, she blogs, but you would never write a blog

But this does explain why he’s like ok I acknowledged we fucked things up with you when you came out

I explained a whole list of what parents could have done/could do in order to be good parents, and I was also like, this is trivially obvious if you spend one second considering the situation from my perspective or trying to imagine how I feel—but my dad doesn’t do that, apparently. Which explains a lot...

Also when he retires he wants to make bespoke maps. ‘I made this map of ocean currents in python from noaa data but it takes 5 minutes to render...’

This always makes me wonder whether people are reliably able to report the nature of their interiority.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I am looking at oil filter change videos because I don't know what I am doing, but need to have oil changed.

Anyway I think I found the holy grail of tutorial videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTZ6Yd8CAUs

All tutorial videos should be exactly this.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I am looking at oil filter change videos because I don't know what I am doing, but need to have oil changed.

Only 56 seconds long? Jesus, that is amazing!

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    And through it all there is Chanus, a bridge between our two worlds. A renaissance man of economic philosophy and butts

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think the constant interior dialogue thing is not a universal thing - I think it might even be a minority of people

I do it all the time but that's because I'm always thinking about how to spin things or gather information for a funny chat post

Eddy on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Cred, just two cents here:

I used to do this a lot: "when I’m at work I am always analyzing how other people might be feeling or thinking in general or about me"
    I have since realized that "no one cares or is thinking about you" is a much better way to approach the world.

How often would you say you think about what your coworkers are doing or what your thoughts about them are? Not directly related to you I mean.
    I realized the answer is probably, pretty much never so the opposite is probably true. I might be interested in something they are doing, or worried about a fuck up that has happened, but I'm not devoting time to them in any meaningful way for the most part.

Second, the guy internalized feedback and is adjusting his behavior accordingly, you might argue with him about the internal reasoning, or be mad that he didn't empathize correctly in the past but he's making an effort to grow. There is literally nothing more that we should be asking of people than that, beyond that is all icing on the cake.

Or maybe I'm just a person with similar sociopathy as your father.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I am very much appreciating just how fantastic and late eighties this video for Billy Idol’s Mony Mony is.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I hate changing my own oil, I don't think I'll ever do it again after the first time I did it. I don't need to save $2 that badly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

He didn't put the oil cap back on

I only noticed, I think, because I did this and got about 30 miles down the road before my car started smoking and making a very unhappy noise

The top of the engine was covered in oil, and the cap was sitting right there where I'd left it

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm actually excited about a jerb I'm applying for in the first time in ages.

Whether or not I make any progress with this one, I'm happy to have seen at least one interesting thing that will pay me cash and wants my background of "Former physicist; devastatingly handsome"

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Is there a better example of the 80's than Billy Idol's popularity?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    And through it all there is Chanus, a bridge between our two worlds. A renaissance man of economic philosophy and butts

peeing onto my own landlord

which is me

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I hate changing my own oil, I don't think I'll ever do it again after the first time I did it. I don't need to save $2 that badly.

I don't mind it, but especially as a city slicker, it's more of a pain to do than it's worth and doesn't save much money at all when factoring in time, disposing of the oil, the fact that the mechanic also puts air in the tires, refills other fluids, etc etc

economies of scale, innit

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

This always makes me wonder whether people are reliably able to report the nature of their interiority.

Right, I do think he is underreporting

But also he is actually a robot who seems entirely satisfied with just working and then getting pleasure from going into nature and taking pictures of animals. It’s very input—> output stuff and I think he does very little meta thinking or thinking about abstract concepts (that aren’t work-related) or people or anything that isn’t like directly related to a thing he’s doing

He also never evinces emotion and has no friends

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I can reliably report I am a Chinese room

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yeah but then I have to talk to people

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019

1 little thing, use a new crush washer on the drain plug. It costs a few pennies and is worth it to avoid any leaks. They seal through the process of being crushed so using the same one that is already crushed isn't going to seal as well.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

That watermelon smashing guy's popularity?

• Options

Yeah plus they can change my blinker fluid at the same time. Value add.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

People who do the whole stream of conciousness conversation/writing styles are terrifying.

Because it's always too sanitized. Makes me feel like a weirdo.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    And not a very good one, at that!

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

I don't mind it, but especially as a city slicker, it's more of a pain to do than it's worth and doesn't save much money at all when factoring in time, disposing of the oil, the fact that the mechanic also puts air in the tires, refills other fluids, etc etc

economies of scale, innit

yeah like it's essentially the same price as the oil for me after including disposal, probably more expensive actually

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Not to mention trying to avoid eye rolling when they try to upsell me some garbage

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »

People who do the whole stream of conciousness conversation/writing styles are terrifying.

Because it's always too sanitized. Makes me feel like a weirdo.

it's basically their instagram feed

you're only seeing the curated, desired output

not the raw data

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm always perplexed that adult men have like zero friends. Maybe its a generational thing?

Friends are super important!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

Yeah I hate that too.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

That watermelon smashing guy's popularity?

Nah Galleghar was late 70s, and didn't have like the excess of Idol. Idol was popular and at the same time he was the 80s. Just all brash wealth and in your face billy idol.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The trick to dealing with oil changes is apparently to just live in the UK where I don't know anybody who has ever changed their oil.

Maybe our car engines are just full of ancient sludge. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe it's part of the mysterious annual service that a good 25% of people bother with.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm always perplexed that adult men have like zero friends. Maybe its a generational thing?

It's a combination of things including masculine norms.

• Options

i have a lot of people where we would call each other friends but we never actually see each other or interact outside of facebook likes

like, i only actually have one friend i see with any regularity and that's because i work with him

• Options

Men aren't trained to do emotional labor like women are

Most guys, for instance, don't send their friends birthday cards

This discussion has been closed.