As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Void Bastards, Outer Wilds, Draugen & Atmocity out today!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hope you've learned your lesson about running your mouth, pirate

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Okay, everything seems to be fixed now.

Except for Hades, which is now showing as $14.99?!

I'm so confused.

EDIT: And it's not just me this time. I'm talking with my friend on Steam, and he's seeing $14.99 now too.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Steep was pretty fun, but it's also got so many frustrating courses that ask you to navigate in ways the controls clearly aren't equipped to deal with

It's a very "crash and restart" game

Lalabox on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Yes Hades is $14.99 now. Default price says $24.99.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yes Hades is $14.99 now. Default price says $24.99.

I can't believe I fuckin' missed it by 10 minutes apparently.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    That's wrong though. It's supposed to be $20 normally. Something is messed up.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Fall Further/Rise from Erebus are some mods for Civ IV that make it Fantasy themed. While you don't customize your civ, there are some pretty nonstandard ones in there iirc.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    that's what you get, pirate

(it's a sale that lasts a month, just ride out the bugs, no rush)

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    stilts pirating again?

• Options
    I swear to god

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Damn, I wasn't expecting that price change for Hades, but I'm glad I managed to get the crazy $8 deal. I probably still would buy it for $15.

Also jumped on John Wick Hex

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I got hades and john wick

I'm not happy about installing yet another frontend but at least I got in early enough that I was able to get my preferred handle and didn't have to pick one of my third or fourth tier options or stick a bunch of numbers on it or some shit

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Well, at least I'm glad to know I'm not going crazy

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    a lack of proper communication fucking up this sale is actually extremely funny

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    you know how when a company launches a CCG for the first time, they do a bunch of dumb shit, especially in organized play, that Wizards of the Coast already did, and then fixed, two decades ago?

*gestures vaguely at Epic*

Shorty on
  • Options
    artifact's becoming an epic store exclusive????

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Glad I got in on Hades earlier today

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

are the prices going to keep going up?
    will they give you a refund if the game is dropped back to a lower price?
    will more games be removed from the storefront/sale, so you should buy them now?

like for me it's not that big a deal, saving ~$7 for hades and ~$14 for Oxygen not included are not prohibitive cost increases
    but this still seems like a real bad way to give anyone any confidence in your sale

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The discount rate isn't bigger though because the sale price has gone up by the same rate. It's just really weird.

Aistan on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    It's funny, when I first saw the deep price cut on Hades this morning I was like "welp, this is finally the thing that is going to get me to register an Epic account," but as the day has progressed with the price yo-yos and developers pulling titles I think I've flipped back hard in the other direction. These chucklefucks only offer like 40 items and they can't even manage to run a sale? Yikes.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    this certainly gives me confidence in Epic's ability to not fuck things up

• Options
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    Dumb to raise the default price during a sale but what do I know.

• Options
    hmm if the continued improvements and additions are reflections of the value you'd think that would have come alongside the last content patch, on may 7th

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hmm if the continued improvements and additions are reflections of the value you'd think that would have come alongside the last content patch, on may 7th

Those extra 9 days add of a lot of value

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Those extra 9 days add of a lot of value

Just like cars, houses, and boats, video games go up in value as they're on the market longer

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Druidstone is good and tricky but I wouldn't call it super hard so far. Your mobility is kind of ridiculous and as long as you take +damage and free action stuff you never really run out of skill uses by the end of the mission.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I get the argument that a game that prior to today was $20, being available for $8 instead of $5 is an egregious breach of trust worth tacitly threatening somebody with legal over.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just learning about Fig Open Access now and boy that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea

Essentially Fig is going to allow crowdfunding in a model where there is no end date or monetary goal, using ongoing funding to continue development

And really all I can think of in this case is Spacebase DF-9, a game which used early access in an attempt to fund ongoing development and then had to cease development when people stopped purchasing it, leaving those who had with an essentially incomplete product.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Just learning about Fig Open Access now and boy that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea

Essentially Fig is going to allow crowdfunding in a model where there is no end date or monetary goal, using ongoing funding to continue development

And really all I can think of in this case is Spacebase DF-9, a game which used early access in an attempt to fund ongoing development and then had to cease development when people stopped purchasing it, leaving those who had with an essentially incomplete product.

Or Star Citizen.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I'm not sure I get the argument that a game that prior to today was $20, being available for $8 instead of $5 is an egregious breach of trust worth tacitly threatening somebody with legal over.

In the US, it’s not a difference of 5 to 8.

It was $7 (down from a list price of 20) a few hours ago
    It is now $15 (down from a list price of 25)

If they had increased the price to 25 on with their last patch a week ago, then today put it at 15, people would have applauded that (since the whole “we increased the price because there’s more content” thing is now a known thing devs do). Or if the price had stayed 20 and the discount had been corrected from $7 to 15, people would have understood.

But pulling a “it’s on sale so we’re increasing the price” is bad optics.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Or Star Citizen.

Star Citizen is an entirely different thing because they actually did start out with one month with a monetary goal, and ended up reaching one of the highest crowdfunding totals ever during that time.

Loads of games offer "slacker backer" or something similar after they have reached their initial goal, Star Citizen has just made that concept their entire business when they're not trying to be a shitty film studio or a pyramid scheme.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »

In the US, it’s not a difference of 5 to 8.

It was $7 (down from a list price of 20) a few hours ago
    It is now $15 (down from a list price of 25)

If they had increased the price to 25 on with their last patch a week ago, then today put it at 15, people would have applauded that (since the whole “we increased the price because there’s more content” thing is now a known thing devs do). Or if the price had stayed 20 and the discount had been corrected from $7 to 15, people would have understood.

But pulling a “it’s on sale so we’re increasing the price” is bad optics.

Given how everything the Epic store apparently requires manual database updates right now it's entirely possible they put in the request to have the price changed a week ago and it didn't get processed, or was done incorrectly (typo'd begin effective date or something).

As for the price, I didn't realize the % discount longer exists too. That's annoying. The flat $10 off is still nice though. That's 40%.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I suppose the proof will be whether or not they decrease the price after the sale like those dino scam devs do everytime.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    The Subnautica dlc is half off, might have to snag that even if I don't play it until after early access.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I don't know the specific laws for other countries, but I live in Denmark and here a product advertised with a before price needs to have actually been sold for that price for at least 6 weeks. Hades is currently listed on Epic Game Store with a before price that it has literally never been sold for.

• Options
    I'm probably good on Hades anyhow. Roguelikes never really last that long for me.

• Options
    Hades being fifteen now is mostly just s little bit of a bummer because it changed from an actual sale to a "last chance before price increases" deal.

Getting upset enough that you start suggesting it might be illegal is peak gamer though (If it goes back down to $20 after the sale, then I believe three might be more ground to stand on, but I suspect that will not happen )

This discussion has been closed.