As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFDATA] Look at my dog, and other people's dogs, and their cats and stuff [pets]

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Shoot the drop across the room when he isn't looking.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So we're talking a rebound off a non-reflective surface?
    That is some serious skills.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    You have to time it so he turns his head at the last second thus striking him in the eye

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Well she's gonna be getting these every day for the rest of her life so I guess I have time to perfect the shot

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Well she's gonna be getting these every day for the rest of her life so I guess I have time to perfect the shot

I believe in you

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    A very large burrito job.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Best thing about a dog wriggling and squirming and fighting and fussing to avoid eye drops is that's the perfect time to send a suppository to its eternal home...

All we gotta do is find a company that makes suppositories to treat doggie eye problems.

• Options
    pimento wrote: »
    A very large burrito job.

I'm quite seriously considering this

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    How many times do you think you could trick him into a small squeeze chute?

clayzh04kgyo.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My first thought is showing them a really tasty treat, getting them to sit for it, putting them in a headlock and eyedropping them with the treat still in front of them, and then giving them the treat as a reward afterwards.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My first thought is showing them a really tasty treat, getting them to sit for it, putting them in a headlock and eyedropping them with the treat still in front of them, and then giving them the treat as a reward afterwards.

We've tried this with Uschi, it's amazing how little he cared about the treat once he realised an eye drop situation was happening.

@Veldrin I wish you luck, giving Usch eyedrops was a three-person job. Thank fuck it was only for a week.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    However you do it, you and your partner will want to alternate so the dog doesn't come to distrust one of you in particular.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    yeah that's important, I alienated my family's cats in their twilight years by being The One Who Was Good At Pilling Them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Hey all

Anyone got any tips on administering eye drops to an extremely strong and wildly flailing 27kg bag of bones who hates eye drops with a passion?

Bonus points for doing it twice a day without assistance.

I sit on the couch, have my legs under Bodhi's chest then lean over him and hug his neck and use that hand to open his eye and the other one also helps open his eye and administers the drop at the same time, then non stop treats once we are done. The big thing is holding his neck still just because it is so strong if you don't have it held down to begin with if he wants to move he is going to.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Non-stop treats helps with Bodhi. He’ll do anything for chook or cheese. We’re lucky there.

If your hound isn’t super good-motivated though, that ain’t gonna work too well. If that’s the case maybe you could try to do them right before a thing she really likes, like a walk?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Yeah, unfortunately Ori's attitude to rewards is often less "if I do the thing I get the treat" and more "if I defeat the oppressor I get the treat", despite our best efforts to reinforce otherwise. Poor girl hates things near her face, and is so strong-willed that she'll literally struggle to the point of hurting herself to avoid it.

It's manageable with two people, because I can focus on safely and comfortably restraining her while Nat does the drops. Alone though, it's just not happening, so right now I'm working on more of a stealth hit-and-run (with reward) approach, which unfortunately results in a lot of wastage and isn't viable long-term.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yeah, unfortunately Ori's attitude to rewards is often less "if I do the thing I get the treat" and more "if I defeat the oppressor I get the treat", despite our best efforts to reinforce otherwise. Poor girl hates things near her face, and is so strong-willed that she'll literally struggle to the point of hurting herself to avoid it.

It's manageable with two people, because I can focus on safely and comfortably restraining her while Nat does the drops. Alone though, it's just not happening, so right now I'm working on more of a stealth hit-and-run (with reward) approach, which unfortunately results in a lot of wastage and isn't viable long-term.

Would a long walk or extended game of fetch be an option? Burn off some energy, try to wear her out a bit, before the wrap and eye drops?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

Would a long walk or extended game of fetch be an option? Burn off some energy, try to wear her out a bit, before the wrap and eye drops?

Nope, I’ve tried this, believe me.

Girl has a reservoir of energy dedicated solely to hulking out when it’s medicine time.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hey all

Anyone got any tips on administering eye drops to an extremely strong and wildly flailing 27kg bag of bones who hates eye drops with a passion?

Bonus points for doing it twice a day without assistance.

Oh yeah the first few weeks or months of this Absolutely Fucking Suck. She should (should) eventually realize the drops are not, in fact, her approaching demise and chill out when you give them, but until then what we had to double team it most of the time. Straddling their shoulders and holding them in place with your legs can help in the short term.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah I kind of jujitsu my dogs with my legs so they can’t move. Gaston is thankfully good with drops because what the fuck could I do if he wasn’t. My Lhasas consider it a form of senseless torture.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Vet trip yesterday. Some internal stitching was poking through his toe from a 2016 surgery :(

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    sad post
    Our old dog is rapidly losing the ability to use her hind legs, it's gotten pretty bad so it might be the end soon. It is so hard watching it get worse. She seems happy day to day, but she can barely walk now when she could walk fine a month ago. And it's so hard to tell if dogs are in general pain, they just put up with anything and soldier on like nothing's wrong. I thought the cancer she was diagnosed with 3 or so years ago was gonna be what did her in but it just never spread, despite the prognosis of 6 months to live. God I hate this, fuck death.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I'm sorry to hear that, zekkan

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So I’ve had a major breakthrough with Ori taking her eye meds. Well... probably more accurate to say that I’ve used my ultimate secret weapon:

My Dad, her second most favourite person in the whole world, who I’m pretty sure has the mutant power of chilling any dog out just by being in the same room as them.

A fortunate change of work location now means he’s able to pop by twice a day and give her a big old hug while I apply the eye drops properly, and she is absolutely cool with it now. This morning she even preemptively moved to get into position, which is a huge relief.

Veldrin on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Mine just sleep on me
    Best thing about a dog wriggling and squirming and fighting and fussing to avoid eye drops is that's the perfect time to send a suppository to its eternal home...

All we gotta do is find a company that makes suppositories to treat doggie eye problems.

My dog though very strong will just give up knowing I am stronger than he is and just sit there

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ive wanted to get a chair for Lola. Something she can lounge on.

It turns out she is not picky.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    "I didn't think she could fit on it, but she can" - the story of every dog and also every pet ever

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Yeah I kind of jujitsu my dogs with my legs so they can’t move. Gaston is thankfully good with drops because what the fuck could I do if he wasn’t. My Lhasas consider it a form of senseless torture.

Mabel and Usch are eye-drop avoiding ninjas but Ziggy has 'resting astonished face', which makes it easy. I do worry she has no nerve endings in her eyeballs or something.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Ended up spending 3 hours with Reo at the vet last night because he started refusing to eat after previously being the most food obsessed dog I've ever seen.

2 examinations, subcutaneous fluis, and anti-nausea meds later, we're pretty sure the cause is.....the plastic bins we moved the food into to prevent mice from getting into it. When we got home he happily munched everything except the food from the bins, and even ate that food once we mixed some yogurt or cheese into it.

Curse you, dog, for that being the one thing you're picky about.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I finally figured it out. How to make Vivi a lap kitty.

5hiuu6230tux.jpg

Put a big pillow in my lap first. She won't really get into the space between my legs, but she's such a goddamn Empress, that she needs her own pillow.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I finally figured it out. How to make Vivi a lap kitty.

Put a big pillow in my lap first. She won't really get into the space between my legs, but she's such a goddamn Empress, that she needs her own pillow.

One of our cats is the same way, regular lap, no go, but put a blanket over your legs? She'll be there for hours if you let her.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Ruby, my parents 9 year old Welsh Springer spaniel trying to figure out if she can get through the window in to the living room where I'm sat with my four week old baby.

g20yio4kaqgr.jpg

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Stanley does a sweep of the garden before he goes for a wee making sure it's safe from any people looking to invade, any cats looking to intrude or any, well, anything that shouldn't be there

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5dBtvHimabJAUufn6

He has a pretty set route where he'll bark at the back gate, bark at the side gate, bark at the side door, and then check along the shed wall for anything suspicious

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    @Gundi sorry to hear about your cat, we can be sad together
    had to put down our dog today. Cried for a while, now I'm just trying to keep my mind off it posting and watching SGDQ. I keep looking for her as I walk around the house.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    puppers are good. puppers are very good.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    for the past couple days since my cat has become so unwell I've basically been spending as much time as I can with her in my closet (cats like hidey holes especially when they are feeling terrible) and i coo at her and try to calm her by rubber her head and I sometimes bring a cup of water in there so she can lick water off my fingers to wet her very dry throat. she comes and goes.

I'm about 99.9% certain that she's got really progressed kidney failure.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Kidney failure is how my last cat went too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Uschi was chosen as a Doggy Ambassador to a local park. He had a pro photoshoot and everything.
    But for some maniacal reason, they wanted to use this as one of his official photos:

yv7md8ztlgdt.jpeg

It's inspired quite the family caption contest

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    "Yes.....come closer, little puppy"

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Uschi was chosen as a Doggy Ambassador to a local park. He had a pro photoshoot and everything.
    But for some maniacal reason, they wanted to use this as one of his official photos:

yv7md8ztlgdt.jpeg

It's inspired quite the family caption contest

"Why are you here? I quit the ruff life years ago."
    "This city berneeds you."