Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Well now that we've given away all our leverage we will voice our complaints and expect them to be seriously considered.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Use the threat to make the US default. Worse things will definitely happen if you don't - I am ready to stake my life on that.

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Why am I expecting to see stories of people hiding neighbor families in their basements over the weekend during ICE raids. This just feels way too much like what was done in Germany 80 years ago and they already have detained legal citizens because they felt like it. I see ICE grabbing anybody of color in a shoot now asks questions later sort of thing.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    Why am I expecting to see stories of people hiding neighbor families in their basements over the weekend during ICE raids. This just feels way too much like what was done in Germany 80 years ago and they already have detained legal citizens because they felt like it. I see ICE grabbing anybody of color in a shoot now asks questions later sort of thing.

The worst one was the guy they held for years, and because of some legalistic bullshit, the statute of limitations on wrongful imprisonment expired while he was STILL IN CUSTODY. Because the clock apparently starts from the beginning of your incarceration.

It was so fucking awful, and I bet one of the fuckers involved here knows about it, and thinks it's a blueprint for how to do it "right".

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Right after the 2016 election, I drove I-26 through South Carolina. For the entire hundreds mile drive, I saw multiple state and local law enforcement agencies pulling over only Hispanic residents, usually families. With every car, the officers had piled the families belongings outside the car and was making the family sit on the grass.

They've been practicing this for awhile. Now that the Dems have shown themselves unwilling or unable to stop it, expect it to steadily increase.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's going to be legal action filed as soon as the executive order is signed to stop it. I dunno if they're going for the theater of it knowing it won't hold up, or if Trump is actually dumb and thinks executive orders are unilateral power with zero boundaries whatsoever.

I think they're determined and/or desperate to stop an accurate census, and more representation of brown people, by any means/costs. This is a literal once-in-a-decade opportunity for them, at a demographic crisis point for the party.
    They're not going to back down, and we shouldn't.

I’m honestly surprised they care that much given the SC said they’re quite openly allowed to draw districts for partisan gain.

Really the only benefit beyond that is EC votes, but I would imagine they want Texas to have more of them...

What am I missing?

More ec votes mean more representatives means its easier to gerrymander

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    pretty disgusted at patty murray standing there

where the fuck were you two weeks ago, senator?

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    There's going to be legal action filed as soon as the executive order is signed to stop it. I dunno if they're going for the theater of it knowing it won't hold up, or if Trump is actually dumb and thinks executive orders are unilateral power with zero boundaries whatsoever.

I think they're determined and/or desperate to stop an accurate census, and more representation of brown people, by any means/costs. This is a literal once-in-a-decade opportunity for them, at a demographic crisis point for the party.

I’m honestly surprised they care that much given the SC said they’re quite openly allowed to draw districts for partisan gain.

Really the only benefit beyond that is EC votes, but I would imagine they want Texas to have more of them...

What am I missing?

That's not how any of that works.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Right after the 2016 election, I drove I-26 through South Carolina. For the entire hundreds mile drive, I saw multiple state and local law enforcement agencies pulling over only Hispanic residents, usually families. With every car, the officers had piled the families belongings outside the car and was making the family sit on the grass.

They've been practicing this for awhile. Now that the Dems have shown themselves unwilling or unable to stop it, expect it to steadily increase.

Honestly if I were a person of color I would install a dash cam in my car because this is bonkers.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

Honestly if I were a person of color I would install a dash cam in my car because this is bonkers.

Doesn't really matter. We have videos of crimes being committed by police officers it doesn't change the narrative sadly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Theyre setting up concentration camps and most most our opposition party can muster is the completely symbolic BE NICER ABOUT IT ACT OF 2019

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    According to the Washington Post, Congress is gonna have to hammer out agreement on both the debt ceiling and a spending bill to avoid a government shutdown come September.
    The White House is pushing congressional leaders to strike a spending deal and increase the debt limit in the next two or three weeks, jolted by a recent report that found the Treasury Department was running out of cash much faster than previously forecasted.

White House officials have said the debt ceiling must be raised by early September to ensure the government can pay its bills. And spending on many federal programs expires at the end of September, requiring a separate deal to prevent a government shutdown.

Even if you think using the debt ceiling as leverage should be off the table, Democrats could still get another shot at using a shutdown as leverage for something concrete.

I don't know. I trying to find some hope here.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Theyre setting up concentration camps and most most our opposition party can muster is the completely symbolic BE NICER ABOUT IT ACT OF 2019

Immediately after they voted to remove a lot of 'be nice' protections from the funding bill last week.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

What am I missing?

It’s not necessarily easier to gerrymander, but more House seats for Republicans isnt going to make anything better.
    shryke wrote: »

(Senate Minority Leader)

Dems in the Senate are now pushing a bill to make family separation illegal and what not. Schumer's a co-sponsor, Merkeley's behind it, every Dem running for president in the Senate is a co-sponsor. Tactics here are baffling.

Adam Jentleson (Reid deputy Chief of Staff) has been proposing debt ceiling shenanigans to force something like this through which eeeek

I'm assuming the tactics here are nonexistent.

This obviously won't get anywhere thanks to GOP. But schumer et al hopes it will look like dems are standing up to the nazis, which I assume they hope will wash away the stink of giving the nazis 4.7 billion dollars last week.

So pro funding nazis, and pro looking like they care but don't have to follow through.

Quick pro tip. If you only control one half of one third of the government, the only thing you can really do is block things from happening. Like last week when that didn’t happen. Proposing bills you want to pass is mostly theater. So in summation, fuck off Chuck.
    MorganV wrote: »

(Senate Minority Leader)

Dems in the Senate are now pushing a bill to make family separation illegal and what not. Schumer's a co-sponsor, Merkeley's behind it, every Dem running for president in the Senate is a co-sponsor. Tactics here are baffling.

Adam Jentleson (Reid deputy Chief of Staff) has been proposing debt ceiling shenanigans to force something like this through which eeeek

No. Just fucking no. That's the one lever you don't fucking pull.

Meaning either it's a bluff when they call you on it, in which you look even more feckless, and also give more power to Republicans to use it for negotiations, or you don't bluff, and you destroy the world economy.

The blowing up the filibuster has been nicknamed "the nuclear option". That's just politics. Fucking with the debt ceiling is the nuclear option.

In that you've gotta be fucking nuts to use it.

You wanna fuck with the budget and another shutdown? Fine. But not this. This is NOT a fucking toy, and needs to be dismantled. Not normalized.

These are all very good points and I do agree with all of them. Really. Flip side is concentration camps. The choice would be to light the world financial system on fire or keep on with the concentration camps. I’m 50:50 on this, and I’m in the industry that would have its shit wrecked from this.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    These raids are going to kill people and shutter businesses and destroy communities. I was going to say "probably going to..." right there, but I think that's what these raids are intended to do, so.

I wonder what we'll call the American kristallnacht...

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Pull the lever

• Options
    These raids are going to kill people and shutter businesses and destroy communities. I was going to say "probably going to..." right there, but I think that's what these raids are intended to do, so.

The Event. Don’t talk about it.

Like most of our history.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    What you can do with the knowledge of Citizen vs Non-Citizen is the ability to eliminate NCs as potential unregistered voters. This lets you fine tune the redistricting to turn swing districts into Republican districts by swapping NCs in left leaning districts with Dem voters in swing districts. Dem districts that the republicans gave up on are given even more Dem voters, while the swing districts that are +2 Dem to +3 Rep districts become +1-7 Rep leaning districts, and we fall further into the Tyranny of the Minority that we are currently living under.

Edit: Probably should continue this in the voting rights thread

Veevee on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

"Don't look at me I didn't do nothin"

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

In a couple generations, we'll build a nice museum on the Mall to show we're sorry for it.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

What am I missing?

That is exactly how that works. If liberal states lose representatives then conservative states gain. More EC because more representatives means that your gerrymander is more effective because you have more seats to work with

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

WaPo reporter. Not sure what the play is here.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hey uh, shit's changing. Again.
    BREAKING: President Trump is expected to announce he is backing down from his effort to include a citizenship question on the 2020 census, and will instead instruct the Commerce Department to get the data through other means, sources tell ABCPolitics
    He's not even trying to hide it anymore. But this is more dangerous because now fucking profiling is entering the equation. Which means great, I have a Spanish name, so here comes the goddamn Commerce Department in some way in my life. Fuck everything!

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's starting to smell like an awareness campaign.

They appear to have heard the fervor from their left base and figure that it can't hurt to see if they can elevate the issue to national consciousness - their base is handling it on social media, so now they're pushing other media & outreach efforts. It's a long shot, but a pretty harmless one to take.

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

hahaha yes, ask the cherry pickers to help

has she gone off her rocker?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Tweet is gone?

• Options

Tweet is gone?

No, but heres the text
    Pelosi said she’ll ask faith-based/evangelical groups to appeal to president to stop ICE raids. “They put him in office.”

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Some of them do have a sense of shame (not many) and asking can't hurt.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

Tweet is gone?

Twitter is having issues at the moment of this writing.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The forum is having a load issue with Twitter or something. Also this is why I quote tweets and don't just link them. <_<

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Some of them do have a sense of shame (not many) and asking can't hurt.
    Anecdotal, but literally the one time I've heard an evangelical acquaintance break with Trump was over family separation.

That group is in general utterly clueless that there are concentration camps running. The most info they hear is spin about bad conditions resulting naturally from migration overflow.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options

In a couple generations, we'll build a nice museum on the Mall to show we're sorry for it.

Right near the one for the Japanese Internment.... wait a sec...

The play is to make me punch my phone.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Fath groups really want to expand in the Hispanic demographic

• Options
    His approval rating with evangelicals is like in the 80s last I looked. Youre just pointing out to pigs that theyre wallowing in shit.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Fath groups really want to expand in the Hispanic demographic

And they've been very silent on the issue for the past 2 years.

I guess there's no harm in asking, but somehow I don't think they've been wanting to speak up, and have simply been waiting for Democrats to approach them. and make a plea of faith

• Options

What am I missing?

That is exactly how that works. If liberal states lose representatives then conservative states gain. More EC because more representatives means that your gerrymander is more effective because you have more seats to work with

But none of those things are related. The gerrymander is done in the state legislatures, which has nothing to do with Congress of the Electoral College. More representation for conservative states means more votes in the electoral college, not the other way around.

• Options
    Hoping that evangicals who Trump already doesn't listen to, can get him to change on murdering asylum seekers is insane.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hoping that evangicals who Trump already doesn't listen to, can get him to change on murdering asylum seekers is insane.

Thinking evangelicals give a shit what Christ said is insane.

• Options
    I mean I'm glad that hopefully they aren't going to executive order the census question. But this comes on the heels of ICE about to start rounding up people, so its like "ok one shit sandwich at a time."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Short of inventing a time machine to un-fuck the mistake they made with their previous vote, I guess I’m glad they are trying to find leverage where they can. Even though they should have done all this before instead of after.

This discussion has been closed.