Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Looks like the President is going to just ignore the Supreme Court and add the question via an Executive Order.

NBC News: JUST IN: President Trump is expected to announce an executive action on getting the citizenship question added to the census, says an administration official.

This can get knocked down pretty quick if anyone is so inclined; since executive orders can't be unconstitutional.

"Too late we printed the census question on it already. I guess we'll just have to tell census workers not to ask the question. Wink."
    No you simply hold any contractor or federal employee in contempt of court for printing it. Start with an injunction. Then a writ of Mandamus then throw the secretary of commerce in jail for contempt of court, use state law to do it so trump cannot pardon them, and you'll only need to jail 1 or 2 heads of the agency, and threaten any contractor and that question won't be on the census.

Serious question: Who's empowered to do this?

Relevant follow up: Will anyone actually do this?

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    And if you really wanted to go a step further, announce from the democrats side, that when they become president, they will debar any contractors violating the injunction.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Looks like the President is going to just ignore the Supreme Court and add the question via an Executive Order.

NBC News: JUST IN: President Trump is expected to announce an executive action on getting the citizenship question added to the census, says an administration official.

This can get knocked down pretty quick if anyone is so inclined; since executive orders can't be unconstitutional.

"Too late we printed the census question on it already. I guess we'll just have to tell census workers not to ask the question. Wink."
    No you simply hold any contractor or federal employee in contempt of court for printing it. Start with an injunction. Then a writ of Mandamus then throw the secretary of commerce in jail for contempt of court, use state law to do it so trump cannot pardon them, and you'll only need to jail 1 or 2 heads of the agency, and threaten any contractor and that question won't be on the census.

Honestly if you wanted to avoid the DOJ, you would have to have the state they violated the injunction in, do it. I think Census is in Maryland or DC, so you'd have to have DC PD or Maryland State police arrest for contempt of court.

They probably won't do that because it's heavy handed and you would need a lot of support to get it done.

zepherin on
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

Court martials, and maybe some spunky judge in MD or NY.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    And if you really wanted to go a step further, announce from the democrats side, that when they become president, they will disbar any contractors violating the injunction.

I don't like that at all. Promising to punish them later on when you have more control sounds like mob threats.

• Options
    I will say, this is probably going to be the biggest challenge this country has seen in decades. SCOTUS has already ruled against it. Congress is empowered to determine the census. The Constitution mandates it be done every 10 years. This is the point at which impeachment should begin to occur, because he's pulling an Andrew Jackson who is imo the worst president this country has ever seen.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    There's going to be legal action filed as soon as the executive order is signed to stop it. I dunno if they're going for the theater of it knowing it won't hold up, or if Trump is actually dumb and thinks executive orders are unilateral power with zero boundaries whatsoever.

As for the raids, via Representative Roybal-Allard,

• Options
    And if you really wanted to go a step further, announce from the democrats side, that when they become president, they will disbar any contractors violating the injunction.

I don't like that at all. Promising to punish them later on when you have more control sounds like mob threats.
    You're not allowed to violate the law or constitution as a federal contractor. Contempt of court is violating the law, informing them of that fact could have a desirable outcome.

• Options

Civil servants that violate an injunction can be tried and jailed after the fact. It's pretty explicit that they cannot violate the law regardless of who tells them to. Democrats can and should hold people responsible for their actions that violate the law.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Civil servants that violate an injunction can be tried and jailed after the fact. It's pretty explicit that they cannot violate the law regardless of who tells them to. Democrats can and should hold people responsible for their actions that violate the law.

Yeah promising that breaking the law has consequences is not a mob threat. Its a god damn return to norms this country direly needs. I want people campaigning on "we are going to lock up people who violate human rights in this country, regardless if you are only 'following orders'"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Henroid wrote: »
    There's going to be legal action filed as soon as the executive order is signed to stop it. I dunno if they're going for the theater of it knowing it won't hold up, or if Trump is actually dumb and thinks executive orders are unilateral power with zero boundaries whatsoever.

I think they're determined and/or desperate to stop an accurate census, and more representation of brown people, by any means/costs. This is a literal once-in-a-decade opportunity for them, at a demographic crisis point for the party.
    They're not going to back down, and we shouldn't.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

I think they're determined and/or desperate to stop an accurate census, and more representation of brown people, by any means/costs. This is a literal once-in-a-decade opportunity for them, at a demographic crisis point for the party.
    We need to go all in on this. And like I said criminal injunctions, penalties for contractors and civil servants. Pretty much put the census under a metaphorical siege until they do relent and print the census without the citizenship question.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I’m honestly surprised they care that much given the SC said they’re quite openly allowed to draw districts for partisan gain.

Really the only benefit beyond that is EC votes, but I would imagine they want Texas to have more of them...

What am I missing?

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I’m honestly surprised they care that much given the SC said they’re quite openly allowed to draw districts for partisan gain.

Really the only benefit beyond that is EC votes, but I would imagine they want Texas to have more of them...

What am I missing?

Population counts determine how Federal funds are allocated. More people, more money.

California had a lot of taxpayers who aren't citizens, for example. Undercounting them robs the state of Federal funds that it should be getting.

Tumin on
  • Options
    Also the messaging from the Trump admin basically shifting the Ice raids to being related to Pelosi was the exact reason the pence promise was garbage. She gave them what they wanted and then they used that she did that to get her tied to the ICE raids.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

I don't disagree, but there's a difference between phrasing it as "if you break the law you will be punished" as in, that's what you will already do with your position, and going "I am running my campaign on the promise that we will punish those who have broken our laws," and thus making future promises based on power yet to be achieved.

Last time I checked, we didn't like politicians running on a platform of promising to jail their opponents.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Tumin wrote: »

What am I missing?

Population counts determine how Federal funds are allocated. More people, more money.

California had a lot of taxpayers who aren't citizens, for example. Undercounting them robs the state of Federal funds that it should be getting.
    This is true, but the fight to add the citizenship question is the point, the actual asking of the question is honestly, not really going to make much of a difference as illegal immigrants don't generally answer the census anyways, or if they do they would lie about their citizenship. However a way to garuntee under-counting is to stage ice raids and fight over adding the question, the more public the better. If ICE is constantly raiding places especially in democratic states or purple states (and I'm willing to bet California and Arizona have more ICE agents than any other place. It's a way to suppress the count.

The GOP is fucking terrible.

zepherin on
  • Options

What am I missing?

Also house reps right? Like the number of people in states determine how many house seats your state gets?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Preacher wrote: »

What am I missing?

Also house reps right? Like the number of people in states determine how many house seats your state gets?

They’re going to get 80% of the seats in any red-controlled state regardless

The federal funds thing is key I think- racial grievance pettiness and/or steering more federal funds to the whitest states and/or steering money to people who will go along with your graft...

This must also be on the Trump Rally Playlist too

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

What am I missing?

Yes. Any undercount would lose California one seat, a bad one would lose it two. Texas probably loses a seat. Montana would almost definitely gain a seat, Alabama and Minnesota are likely to. At least according to a 538 analysis.

It also affects where and how districts get drawn for VRA purposes and is a major impact on all kinds of questions about service.

Also it's harder to track how many people you've deported/killed if there's no record of their existence.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

What am I missing?

Yes. Any undercount would lose California one seat, a bad one would lose it two. Texas probably loses a seat. Montana would almost definitely gain a seat, Alabama and Minnesota are likely to. At least according to a 538 analysis.

It also affects where and how districts get drawn for VRA purposes and is a major impact on all kinds of questions about service.

Also it's harder to track how many people you've deported/killed if there's no record of their existence.

VRA??

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Ok, can someone explain to me why adding the question is such a big deal needing a court case to provide? Is there a law saying that revisions to the census require some sort of justification? It seems like on the face that it's something that the cabinet officials in charge of it could change as they wish.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

I don't disagree, but there's a difference between phrasing it as "if you break the law you will be punished" as in, that's what you will already do with your position, and going "I am running my campaign on the promise that we will punish those who have broken our laws," and thus making future promises based on power yet to be achieved.

Last time I checked, we didn't like politicians running on a platform of promising to jail their opponents.

That's not what's being said, though. What's being said is" if you break the law, you will be held accountable once we hold power", which is a perfectly acceptable position.

(Also, one of the reasons I'm opposed to the use of "euphemistic language" meant to reduce conflicts down to a "difference of opinion" is because this is the endgame for it - to discourage people from fighting to uphold the law because the violators are on the opposite political side.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ok, can someone explain to me why adding the question is such a big deal needing a court case to provide? Is there a law saying that revisions to the census require some sort of justification? It seems like on the face that it's something that the cabinet officials in charge of it could change as they wish.

The census counts everyone, not just citizens.

• Options

What am I missing?

VRA??

The Voting Rights Act requires majority minority districts to make sure that their residents are representing in Congress. Otherwise you'd get things a state that's 60/40 white black with all white delegation. Not to name Mississippi or Alabama or anything. It's also the reason for that gross looking district in Illinois, it links two Hispanic neighborhoods in Chicago together.

1) Yes, the Administrative Procedures Act.
    2) Congress is in charge, not the president. That's straight out of the Constitution.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    For one, the law regarding the census requires it to be done in a nonpartisan matter.

The administration wrote down partisan reasons for adding the question because they're comically bad at concealing crimes.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This is a ludicrous situation. The president wants to order people to break the law, blatantly. This is the part where we start inquiries, if we weren’t total cowards.

• Options
    This is a ludicrous situation. The president wants to order people to break the law, blatantly. This is the part where we start inquiries, if we weren’t total cowards.

That point was January, tbh

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

That point was January, tbh

Well, yes. Throw this one on the pile I guess.

I’m so sick of fecklessness vs. pure evil.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular

What am I missing?

VRA??

The Voting Rights Act requires majority minority districts to make sure that their residents are representing in Congress. Otherwise you'd get things a state that's 60/40 white black with all white delegation. Not to name Mississippi or Alabama or anything. It's also the reason for that gross looking district in Illinois, it links two Hispanic neighborhoods in Chicago together.

1) Yes, the Administrative Procedures Act.
    2) Congress is in charge, not the president. That's straight out of the Constitution.

Ah, thank you!

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

"Well, when the president does it, that means that it is not illegal."

Basically what the GOP has been running with for a long while now. In this situation the census feels like a litmus test on this point. Only time will tell if it's going to be challenged, and if it is, whether anything will come of it.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options

Basically what the GOP has been running with for a long while now. In this situation the census feels like a litmus test on this point. Only time will tell if it's going to be challenged, and if it is, whether anything will come of it.

It should be challenged. This is incitement to violate the law. Just because it’s on an executive order from the POTUS instead of a drug dealer ordering something on a wire doesn’t mean it isn’t incitement. It even meets the imminent lawless action standard from Brandenburg v Ohio.

This is absolutely fascism solidifying it’s electoral supremacy through demographic pressure and political violence and we should be sounding the goddamn alarm.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

"Well, when the Republican president does it, that means that it is not illegal. Anything a Democratic president does is illegal."

FTFY

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't necessarily want the gavel taken from Pelosi but she needs to hand the bullhorn to a more qualified hostage negotiator because that's what we're dealing with.

Still not a Pelosi thread.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It should be challenged. This is incitement to violate the law. Just because it’s on an executive order from the POTUS instead of a drug dealer ordering something on a wire doesn’t mean it isn’t incitement. It even meets the imminent lawless action standard from Brandenburg v Ohio.

This is absolutely fascism solidifying it’s electoral supremacy through demographic pressure and political violence and we should be sounding the goddamn alarm.

Assuming he ever actually does it. There have been a bunch of these EOs that he was "expected to announce" annnnd nothing. (if he actual does it'll be sued instantly of course)

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

As for the raids, via Representative Roybal-Allard,

I fully expect ice agents to ignore procedure and law. I fully expect this to include snatching natural born citizens. I fully expect officials to say this was done in error, but it won't be an error. At least some Nazi ICE agents are going to use this opportunity to grab any brown person they can and disappear them into a system with no oversight or accountability. They will do this because it has been openly demonstrated that their government endorses this kind of action and they will suffer no consequences.

• Options
    edited July 2019

(Senate Minority Leader)

Dems in the Senate are now pushing a bill to make family separation illegal and what not. Schumer's a co-sponsor, Merkeley's behind it, every Dem running for president in the Senate is a co-sponsor. Tactics here are baffling.

Adam Jentleson (Reid deputy Chief of Staff) has been proposing debt ceiling shenanigans to force something like this through which eeeek

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

(Senate Minority Leader)

Dems in the Senate are now pushing a bill to make family separation illegal and what not. Schumer's a co-sponsor, Merkeley's behind it, every Dem running for president in the Senate is a co-sponsor. Tactics here are baffling.

Adam Jentleson (Reid deputy Chief of Staff) has been proposing debt ceiling shenanigans to force something like this through which eeeek

I'm assuming the tactics here are nonexistent.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

(Senate Minority Leader)

I'm assuming the tactics here are nonexistent.

This obviously won't get anywhere thanks to GOP. But schumer et al hopes it will look like dems are standing up to the nazis, which I assume they hope will wash away the stink of giving the nazis 4.7 billion dollars last week.

So pro funding nazis, and pro looking like they care but don't have to follow through.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

(Senate Minority Leader)

No. Just fucking no. That's the one lever you don't fucking pull.

Meaning either it's a bluff when they call you on it, in which you look even more feckless, and also give more power to Republicans to use it for negotiations, or you don't bluff, and you destroy the world economy.

The blowing up the filibuster has been nicknamed "the nuclear option". That's just politics. Fucking with the debt ceiling is the nuclear option.

In that you've gotta be fucking nuts to use it.

You wanna fuck with the budget and another shutdown? Fine. But not this. This is NOT a fucking toy, and needs to be dismantled. Not normalized.

This discussion has been closed.