Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    Next time I suggest I'll attempt my own plumbing someone slap me.

plumbers make a very good living for a reason

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's like all the fiddly bits of carpentry, but you're doing it to a prison for angry water, and every time you fuck up all the water escapes and warps your subfloor.

Plumbers are some of my favorite people to pay cash money to, second only to electricians.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I just scheduled the plumber for our bathroom remodel. August 5th! ripping out the old tub insert and installing a new one, along with new subfloor, toilet, window and flooring.

The old insert is cracked and hopefully only the subfloor is ruined, and not the actual frame of the house. Fingers crossed.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sadly I learned pluming from someone in the Corps because I was horrible at woodcrafts. So when we did our good will tours I learned first hand because it was either that or guard duty

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It's like all the fiddly bits of carpentry, but you're doing it to a prison for angry water, and every time you fuck up all the water escapes and warps your subfloor.

Plumbers are some of my favorite people to pay cash money to, second only to electricians.

My family are very DIY, handy folks and we fix a lot of stuff ourselves but none of us fuck with electricity or water. You call a professional for that shit.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    You know those sprayer things on kitchen sinks that you go to grab and it sprays you a bit cause you're dumb and hit the button while you're grabbing it? Mine is located inconveniently and I want to put a longer line on it for more range. Is there anything more to it than getting a longer line and the usual plumber tape?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I fuck with water but I really shouldn't, if you've got the money pay someone to fix it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    You know those sprayer things on kitchen sinks that you go to grab and it sprays you a bit cause you're dumb and hit the button while you're grabbing it? Mine is located inconveniently and I want to put a longer line on it for more range. Is there anything more to it than getting a longer line and the usual plumber tape?

Seems like that would be it. If course make sure the thread sizes are there same.

As a kid, I would tape the handle down so it would blast whoever was standing at the sink. Really fun when we were going out to Easter brunch or whatever

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I fuck with water but I really shouldn't, if you've got the money pay someone to fix it.

Water is pretty simple if you've got a decent blowtorch, a pipe cutter, and a pipe bender. As long as you can silver solder, at least.
    Interestingly enough, the plumber didn't solder the fittings for the vanity stop-cocks on (the old tap and faucet set was hard-piped, no flex lines or stop-cocks), he used a cordless swaging tool and pressed them on.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Water is pretty simple if you've got a decent blowtorch, a pipe cutter, and a pipe bender. As long as you can silver solder, at least.
    Interestingly enough, the plumber didn't solder the fittings for the vanity stop-cocks on (the old tap and faucet set was hard-piped, no flex lines or stop-cocks), he used a cordless swaging tool and pressed them on.

all about that pex life if you are DIYing it

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ew gross ew, copper or nothing!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    50r11Cxh.jpg
    f209c6ah.jpg
    EeAFzadh.jpg
    iPOKBufh.jpg
    GSkHA6ch.jpg
    9p1V3Bah.jpg
    X8naZrjh.jpg

I love how overgrown this part of the city gets in summer

Brolo on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Brolo wrote: »
    50r11Cxh.jpg

Aren't you afraid Two-Face is going to be mad that you're taking pictures of his house?

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I imagine the reaction will be mixed.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I imagine the reaction will be mixed.

It's been almost 12 hours and I'm still thinking about how good this post is.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I know this is technically the thread for homeowners and not renters but imma vent.

Yesterday, we got notice that all of the units in the building were going to have their plumbing fixtures inspected today. We haven't been having any plumbing issues lately so it seemed like whatever, maybe they're looking for a leak that's eluding them or just inspecting for efficiency reasons.

Well I just poured a pot of boiling hot pasta water down the kitchen sink and it all ran right out from the cabinet under the sink. Luckily there was enough surface between my feet and the water that it was merely very warm and not scalding hot when it soaked my sock.

None too happy about it tbh.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Sooooo we’re not exactly sure why but the bank gave us a really stellar interest rate... but isn’t offering us the amount we asked for or the pay-back period was wanted.

I’m being jerked around, right? The professional thing to do would be to deny me the loan, but they’re cowards and instead decided to offer me a useless product?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    My washing machine appears not to want to drain anymore. It was making a rattley sound, so I pulled out the drain pump but it seems fine.. nothing's loose, nothing rattles, nothing was stuck in there.. so I'm not sure now. Might have to go deeper...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    My washing machine appears not to want to drain anymore. It was making a rattley sound, so I pulled out the drain pump but it seems fine.. nothing's loose, nothing rattles, nothing was stuck in there.. so I'm not sure now. Might have to go deeper...

There might be stuff in the line like a coin or something

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Sooooo we’re not exactly sure why but the bank gave us a really stellar interest rate... but isn’t offering us the amount we asked for or the pay-back period was wanted.

I’m being jerked around, right? The professional thing to do would be to deny me the loan, but they’re cowards and instead decided to offer me a useless product?

Yeah, that is ... weird? I mean, I’ve only done this in the US, and the rates and payment timelines are pretty upfront here. The fact that they’d offer you something different is almost incomprehensible.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yea that's the next thing to check.. I did lose a button a while back.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

Yeah, that is ... weird? I mean, I’ve only done this in the US, and the rates and payment timelines are pretty upfront here. The fact that they’d offer you something different is almost incomprehensible.

It reads like a face saving move, but I’m reasonably sure it’s weird even for Taiwan based on reactions I’ve gotten from Taiwanese friends.

We’re pursuing other avenues but if I speak to this guy again I plan to let him know exactly how I feel about not getting a straight answer.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    4.5 hours until closing. Money has already left the account, it was nice seeing really big numbers in there if only for a few weeks.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    At long last, a neighborhood youth offered to mow my lawn!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Zach thinks $20 is overpaying him, but mowing the lawn in Texas heat, even a smallish lawn like ours, is no joke and it's cheap at $20.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    4.5 hours until closing. Money has already left the account, it was nice seeing really big numbers in there if only for a few weeks.

Same hat!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    WE HAVE A HOUSE!!!!!!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    WE HAVE A HOUSE!!!!!!

congrats! may your roof never leak!

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    WE HAVE A HOUSE!!!!!!

Hopefully things will get better soon!

:wonk:

Congratulations!

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    After spending entirely too long trying to change the locks I now know how to work a mortise lock set as well as realizing I need a different deadbolt lock for it than I have. So in the morning I'll be making my 3rd trip to a hardware store since this afternoon.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    It's the 18th. Stop with the fireworks already. You're scaring my cat.
    After spending entirely too long trying to change the locks I now know how to work a mortise lock set as well as realizing I need a different deadbolt lock for it than I have. So in the morning I'll be making my 3rd trip to a hardware store since this afternoon.

You can never make only one trip to the hardware store. Physically impossible.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Tonight I am spending what is probably the last night I'll spend in this apartment, after 8 and a half years!

Feels pretty good! Also I suck at painting but I've never done it before so yeah.

• Options

Well, I took the pump out, it seemed fine, I cleaned things up and found nothing, put it back together and now it works again... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. but hey it works now.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Tonight I am spending what is probably the last night I'll spend in this apartment, after 8 and a half years!

Feels pretty good! Also I suck at painting but I've never done it before so yeah.

As long as the paint job is pretty good nobody but you will know about the little mistakes.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Well, I took the pump out, it seemed fine, I cleaned things up and found nothing, put it back together and now it works again... so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .. but hey it works now.

This is...every single kitchen appliance I've had break. I take it apart carefully, can't find anything wrong, put it back together carefully, and it's fixed!

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

This is...every single kitchen appliance I've had break. I take it apart carefully, can't find anything wrong, put it back together carefully, and it's fixed!

Dad ordered a new document shredder and asked if I wanted the one it was replacing. It was broken, but I figured at the very least I could disassemble it, maybe find a stripped plastic gear, and get it back working again. Worst case scenario, I learn a bit about how these things work and have some spare parts. Got it home, plugged it in, and it worked just fine. Three times now, it's seized up, refusing to work, and when I pop the cover off to take it apart and put it back together again, perfectly fine, let's destroy some paper, boss.

That was eight years ago. This shredder will not die, it is strong and is my friend.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

As long as the paint job is pretty good nobody but you will know about the little mistakes.

Unfortunately, it is bad. Hopefully after a second coat it'll even out and look better. Right now it's really rough

• Options
    Goddamit, the toilet that I replaced all the seals on last year is running again. I'm really tempted to just go out and buy a new toilet this weekend.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Unfortunately, it is bad. Hopefully after a second coat it'll even out and look better. Right now it's really rough

You'll need surprised at how different multiple coats can make. I found using a extender for the rollers helped a lot, even if I could reach the spot as being farther away helped with overlaping those Ws.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

You'll need surprised at how different multiple coats can make. I found using a extender for the rollers helped a lot, even if I could reach the spot as being farther away helped with overlaping those Ws.

Yeah mostly it's just I'm bad at it so, yeah.