As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why are we not talking about [Legal Marijuana] in multiple states and now for Vets?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Well CannTrust in Canada majorly fucked up. They were producing cannabis in an unlicensed football field sized operation and got caught by Health Canada. Now all of their brands are off the shelves and the CEO is likely to be eaten alive by the board.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Really happy Illinois legalized.

First thing my wife wanted to do was grow it at home. We have good grow lights for basil, cilantro, etc. So we're already set up for it.

From what I could tell that doesn't seem to be allowed though.

In a story that ran on the local news last night, the governor of Iowa has basically said she would legalize recreational use over her dead body.

So, let me give a big ol’ eastern Iowa hello to all my new best friends living in Illinois. I’ll probably come visit more often in the future.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    7hzbmydjbxh3.jpeg

On the way out to visit family in rural Colorado, this was just one of the many fields with a fuckton of pot growing

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

First thing my wife wanted to do was grow it at home. We have good grow lights for basil, cilantro, etc. So we're already set up for it.

In a story that ran on the local news last night, the governor of Iowa has basically said she would legalize recreational use over her dead body.

So, let me give a big ol’ eastern Iowa hello to all my new best friends living in Illinois. I’ll probably come visit more often in the future.

Eastern Iowa, Southern Wisconsin, Western Indiana...

We are all going to be visiting Illinois a lot more.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    We’ve finally got a dispensary in town eight months after legalization with two more on the way next month, one of which is going to be four blocks from my house.

Even though I’m a gardener, it’s nice to be able to pop into a store and pick up a preroll of something I’ve not tried yet.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    *weeps federally*

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm pretty pleased Illinois decided to take care of things, I'm very much looking forward to being able to legally acquire this stuff. I've neve set foot in a legal weed store so I imagine I'll go broke the day I do.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty pleased Illinois decided to take care of things, I'm very much looking forward to being able to legally acquire this stuff. I've neve set foot in a legal weed store so I imagine I'll go broke the day I do.

It’s a very surreal experience. Even more surreal is getting into your car with it and not being worried about getting pulled over. It just sits on your dash, no big deal.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Well CannTrust in Canada majorly fucked up. They were producing cannabis in an unlicensed football field sized operation and got caught by Health Canada. Now all of their brands are off the shelves and the CEO is likely to be eaten alive by the board.

https://business.financialpost.com/cannabis/canntrust-promotional-video-featured-ceo-standing-in-front-of-unlicensed-room-former-employee-claims
    The following was in an email to the CEO:
    “[Health Canada] did not ask about RG8E/W, which are unlicensed rooms currently full of plants,” Lee’s email said, according to the report.
    Which does interfere with most of the possible excuses.

The CEO has since been fired.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I've been a big fan of the portability of those vape pens using preloaded THC cartridges, loved the stizzy, but I'm done with them now. They're pretty sure they're the reason for the deaths.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/08/health/vaping-injury-vitamin-e-thc-bn/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

Guess I'm going old school.and vaping straight shatter again.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    There's always the old school vaporizers that use steam passing through the pot. They aren't really portable but a good option if you want to avoid the smoke.

Quid on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    There's always the old school vaporizers that use steam passing through the pot. They aren't really portable but a good option if you want to avoid the smoke.

There are also portable herb vaporizers like the Firefly.

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2019
    RickRude wrote: »
    I've been a big fan of the portability of those vape pens using preloaded THC cartridges, loved the stizzy, but I'm done with them now. They're pretty sure they're the reason for the deaths.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/11/08/health/vaping-injury-vitamin-e-thc-bn/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

Guess I'm going old school.and vaping straight shatter again.

But...the cartridges described are either being purchased off the street or from illegal unlicensed shops that have no care about what product they sell, so they're diluted with Vitamin E oil(which is the issue, not the carts themselves). This is still nothing but scare tactics. How about they add in samples from all the legal shops and tell us how many of those test for vitamin e oil?

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    The article is a bit misleading in its wording:
    Vitamin E acetate, an additive sometimes used in THC and other vaping products

Vitamin E acetate has no special attachment to THC vaping products, it's just as likely to be used in any vape liquid. Calling out THC specifically is a red herring (but one you see a LOT on the internet). The first hospital to go public about the epidemic had most their cases stemming from the same brand of nicotine liquid, with about a third split between several THC and nicotine brands. They noted a link that all of them shared several ingredients, one of which was VEA, known to cause lung problems. They did not actually call out a link at the time, but were calling on other hospitals to look at any surges or clusters of lung disease for a similar vape link.

Michigan's flavored e-cig ban started when a hospital tied a cluster of cases to a specific brand of fruit flavored caffeine vape.

Vitamin E Acetate does, on the other hand, have a known history of links to lung disease and skin reactions which has already seen it mostly gone as a medicinal compound and its been declining in cosmetics for years. It's close to confirmed that it's the core of the problem - nothing directly from the active ingredients would manifest so quickly, and it's the most common link between cases.

Hevach on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The article is a bit misleading in its wording:
    Vitamin E acetate, an additive sometimes used in THC and other vaping products

Vitamin E acetate has no special attachment to THC vaping products, it's just as likely to be used in nicotine products and those drug free quitting aid ones.

It does, on the other hand, have a long history of links to lung disease and skin reactions which has already seen it mostly gone as a medicinal compound and its been declining in cosmetics for years.

IIRC, if you look at the CDC report, of the 29 samples (taken from "patients", all of which contained vitamin E acetate), 82% contained THC, and 62% contained nicotine.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    All I know is I'm not taking a chance. Especially seeing as how I know 2 people who sell the carts on the street and to dispensaries. Why take a chance? Especially since you can get a coil made for wax

• Options
    I only get my carts sealed, directly from the dispensary I trust. Tbh you can tell when they're fake as hell, just giving a single puff is enough. I've had to toss out a few bad ones friends gave me, but the ones I secure myself are pretty much guaranteed to be fine. There are certain brands I know to be more reputable than others, and if they don't have them I just go home empty handed.

I'm just glad eventually I won't have to travel so far to get my own, but yeah if you live a state where they aren't attainable from reputable sources, I wouldn't go for them.

Wax is a bit too intense for me, and I dislike smelling like flower so the carts are truly convenient for my life. In the end you just have to know where the stuff you're buying is coming from, but just using common sense you'll be fine. If you've ever hit a cart with Vitamin E in it, it's pretty apparent. It has a slight plasticky taste to it. Usually the carts will be sticky on the outside from refilling. And never buy unsealed packages. The reputable ones will have seals on the box.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I stopped using all my cartridges too

I have several
    I figure it’s better to just be safe even if it’s wasted money and lost convenience, and even if the risk is low

poo
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I've been vaping dry herb for many, many years and these days you can get a good dry herb vape that's almost as small as the cartridge ones, and the flavor is 1000% better, i'm genuinely baffled as to why people use cartridges for thc *shrug* and that was before these health issues w/ the cartridges popped up

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    I've been vaping dry herb for many, many years and these days you can get a good dry herb vape that's almost as small as the cartridge ones, and the flavor is 1000% better, i'm genuinely baffled as to why people use cartridges for thc *shrug* and that was before these health issues w/ the cartridges popped up

<.< vaping flower smells like flower

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    My roommate is pretty big into vaping as a way to get people to quit smoking and he's been talking about the flavor bans being dumb and the Vitamin E Acetate being known as dangerous and showing up due to the lack of regulations for months now.

Apparently in the vaping community it was a known thing and I guess some groups had been trying to make noise about it but since there's not really a big lobbying voice with money behind it no one was listening because "lol vapers mirite"

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    The cartridges were very convenient for being out and about
    I had a dry herb thing before too and have gone back to it but the convenience and lack of smell will be missed

But best to be safe I say

Lungs is lungs

poo
  • Options
    My roommate is pretty big into vaping as a way to get people to quit smoking and he's been talking about the flavor bans being dumb and the Vitamin E Acetate being known as dangerous and showing up due to the lack of regulations for months now.

Apparently in the vaping community it was a known thing and I guess some groups had been trying to make noise about it but since there's not really a big lobbying voice with money behind it no one was listening because "lol vapers mirite"

Even my "the FDA is a tyranny completely outside the scope of the constitution" co-worker was bitching about the lack of regulation for carts recently.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Even my "the FDA is a tyranny completely outside the scope of the constitution" co-worker was bitching about the lack of regulation for carts recently.

I mean I think everyone in this thread can appreciate both enjoying a thing but wishing there was some regulation and inspection in place to ensure quality guidelines are actually being followed.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »

Eastern Iowa, Southern Wisconsin, Western Indiana...

We are all going to be visiting Illinois a lot more.

The Van Galder to and from Rockford is gonna be poppin'

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    CBD by itself doesn't have any recreational use, right? That shit is eeeeeeeverywhere the last six months. There's a CBD section in the freaking grocery store.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    CBD by itself doesn't have any recreational use, right? That shit is eeeeeeeverywhere the last six months. There's a CBD section in the freaking grocery store.

I'd be hesitant if it's not a legal state. There are some brands know to be made from actual weed and those are supposedly the better ones? Who knows.

• Options

As far as I know CBD products like you'll find in gas stations/grocery stores are the wild west right now.

• Options
    edited November 2019

It *might* have some anti-anxiety effects (there are studies and it's promising but not really solid yet), and people used to abuse lithium sodas for the same reason, because life is anxiety and anti-anxiety sounds like a fun time even to a lot of teetotalers.

Edit: Bigger issue is probably that like all the hemp/weed adjacent stuff right now, it's unregulated legal gray status means there's no telling what you're actually getting in terms of how it was made and what it came from. There was some independent testing of gas station CBD stuff a few months ago that found a lot of it had significant amounts of active compounds (probably not enough to get high, but enough to fail a drug test), some had all kinds of other contamination, a few samples were actually strong enough to get high off of, and some didn't even appear to be CBD oil at all.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Wait

Lithium sodas?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Wait

Lithium sodas?

7Up being the most famous

• Options
    It's the less interesting side of the days when Coca-Cola had cocaine in it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Isn't lithium used as an anti-depressant?

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I vape flower, but I understand why people prefer carts- the vapes themselves are smaller and more discreet, you don't have to spend time grinding bud, and if you're buying carts from a reputable source you can probably customize the THC/CBD ratio to your ideal preference. That being said, I really don't think my flower vape smells that much? Vape smell dissipates much faster than smoke, I've never had it be a problem even in public.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Heffling wrote: »
    Isn't lithium used as an anti-depressant?

Yes, among other mood disorders. Bipolar in particular because it moderates both sides equally well. That's why it was used in sodas, the inventor of 7-Up believed the calm, mellow mood lithium created was the ideal social mood and preferable to the disinhibition of other social drinks.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Here's a very detailed article about vitamin e acetitate and how is used in most terps that make the liquids. I trust none of them now even more

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-vitamin-e-oil-explained

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Here's a very detailed article about vitamin e acetitate and how is used in most terps that make the liquids. I trust none of them now even more

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-vitamin-e-oil-explained

After reading that article, I could see why youd still be wary, but that article hasn't been updated since Oct 3rd, the height of the scare. Theres since been an updated article from the same author. Dunno why it doesnt just replace the old one, as it's basically the same but a lot less worrying:

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-advice-consumers

As they say, pretty much all of the cases are linked to illegal shops selling illicit carts tainted with bad thickening agents. Legal shops wont have these shady products.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Its been seven or eight days since legalization, most of the stores in the city are bone dry or close to.

Damn.
    And that is why when some of my friends mocked me for getting my medical card earlier this year, I told them to enjoy the impending shortage, because a percentage of their stock has to be reserved for those with a medical card. Additionally (from what I've been told), there is an entirely different line and no sales tax for patients. Not only that, but this damn thing keeps getting delayed further and further. Pretty sure we can expect to see our first shops in 2019, though just before Christmas would be a pretty sweet way to ring it all in.

Despite that, I still expect stores to run dry that are both medical and rec, which is why it's nice to know where the medical-only shops are. I hate lines, so I may just go to those stores to avoid the mayhem. However, I may still go to one of the medical/rec shops just to skip the line like a gleeful smartass.

I do wonder, however, if the state will tighten up their restrictions on new medical card applicants, as I can see people going in for their cards to avoid the lines/taxes/shortages. Right now, it's kind of a joke in Massachusetts to get one. I walked into the clinic with almost 100 pages in medical history to prove I should get one, but within 5 minutes realized it was fake as hell. They spent more time talking about how awesome it is to have a medical marijuana card than they did actually going over my paperwork. I also wonder what will happen to the 10-ounce-per-2-months limit they have medical card holders once it goes rec. It won't be an issue for me, as I don't think I've hit half of that in a two month period, but I know some folks that do hit that limit.

10 ounces in 2 months is quite a lot of grass.

D
    7hzbmydjbxh3.jpeg

On the way out to visit family in rural Colorado, this was just one of the many fields with a fuckton of pot growing

I'm no expert but that looks like a really lot of dope there. Is that thousands of plants? Just how much are they moving? Are they stockpiling or doing some aging thing?

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Its been seven or eight days since legalization, most of the stores in the city are bone dry or close to.

Damn.
    And that is why when some of my friends mocked me for getting my medical card earlier this year, I told them to enjoy the impending shortage, because a percentage of their stock has to be reserved for those with a medical card. Additionally (from what I've been told), there is an entirely different line and no sales tax for patients. Not only that, but this damn thing keeps getting delayed further and further. Pretty sure we can expect to see our first shops in 2019, though just before Christmas would be a pretty sweet way to ring it all in.

Despite that, I still expect stores to run dry that are both medical and rec, which is why it's nice to know where the medical-only shops are. I hate lines, so I may just go to those stores to avoid the mayhem. However, I may still go to one of the medical/rec shops just to skip the line like a gleeful smartass.

I do wonder, however, if the state will tighten up their restrictions on new medical card applicants, as I can see people going in for their cards to avoid the lines/taxes/shortages. Right now, it's kind of a joke in Massachusetts to get one. I walked into the clinic with almost 100 pages in medical history to prove I should get one, but within 5 minutes realized it was fake as hell. They spent more time talking about how awesome it is to have a medical marijuana card than they did actually going over my paperwork. I also wonder what will happen to the 10-ounce-per-2-months limit they have medical card holders once it goes rec. It won't be an issue for me, as I don't think I've hit half of that in a two month period, but I know some folks that do hit that limit.

D
    7hzbmydjbxh3.jpeg

I'm no expert but that looks like a really lot of dope there. Is that thousands of plants? Just how much are they moving? Are they stockpiling or doing some aging thing?

I haven't really heard of aging weed beyond the initial curing process. Doubt it would really improve. I'd imagine a lot of it is headed for extraction.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    V1m wrote: »

Damn.

D
    7hzbmydjbxh3.jpeg

Maybe not thousands, there's a second fence looks like 30-50 rows (I tried to count but they blur together by the low 20's) back separating a lighter and more uniform green field. No telling how far in either direction if goes, of course, a mile by 50 rows would be thousands I guess. There's still a few hundred right there in frame and that's a lot as it is, and it's not like that's the only one, either.

Still, they could be exporting from the state. With more and more states going legal or legalish, a good few of them are also kind of half assing it - Michigan's arrangement initially meant that while it was legal once you had it, you couldn't grow your own and it could only be grown and sold medicinally so how do you actually get it? Colorado created a robust farm-to-table supply chain. States that did get to supply states that didn't.

Hevach on