As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario Maker 2] Final update on 4/22! Frog Suit! Overworld creator! And More!

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Man, really annoying that i haven't had much time to sit down and work on a new level. I started the first 2 screens, but it's super bare bones so far.

So you're 50% of the way done with this week's challenge level, is what i'm reading.

haha, indeed. That map I want to be a lot bigger than 4 screens though.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Alright, I may have a level for the contest. Built it in under 2 hours, now just to go through it a few times to see if I like it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I reuploaded On Rails 2: Come Rail Away.

I couldn't really fit in another check point because I didn't see any point in the second part that would make sense to split it at. However, I did add a ton of space and tried to remove any janky walls. The S part in particular is much more open. The Banzai Bills section has lots of safe areas to be able to go back and forth, so if taken slow there shouldn't be too much issue.

I also cleaned up the first half some. I removed a little bit of jank from stuff near the end. I want it to feel more like a ride and less like an extreme challenge. I hope this works out, but the second part is always going to be what it is. I wanted that ascent aspect so hopefully it is at least more reasonable this time.

New code is WGB-1R5-Y2G

• Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    The Mario Maker 2 Challenge Bash #4!

The Four Screen Challenge!!

Make a fun and exciting but short and sweet Mario level using only 4 screens*. Will it be a series of 4 one screen challenges/puzzles or a short but intense platforming challenge? Limiting yourself to a set area will definitely challenge your creative abilities.

*Note, if you want to have an extra screen for an entrance and exit to dress up your level, feel free to technically make 6 screens, but the meat of your level should be confined to 4 screens

Challenge details:
    Level Style: Any
    Level Theme: Any
    Nighttime option: Yes

The scroll lock option is great at locking the view to make levels feel much more “proper”. So far, when I make levels, I have found that I feel like I have to use the entire area available in the game to make a level. I feel that that kind of thinking can lead to levels being too long and difficult as a result. Placing a restriction like this I hope will force everyone to really focus on one or two elements only and how to squeeze as much fun out of them.

As I mentioned above, if you want to make a start screen that just leads to a pipe so you can place your 4 screens in the subworld, go right ahead. Also, my hope is that by limiting the screens, levels won’t take as long to make (or to play and judge!)

When do we want the submission deadline to be? I will try to run through levels as they come in and can probably play the last few levels on Saturday night (Eastern time zone), so if you need most of the day Saturday to finish, I can probably accommodate that (hopefully?)

Have fun!

@quovadis13

Magikoopa's Fortress Riches - WQJ-DGX-QQF

Comes in at 5 screens, with the exit being 1 screen. Main gameplay is 4 screens. My first map with a clear condition.

• Options
    Also @The Zombie Penguin, i tried your speedrun level again, and I WAS able to make the slide as small mario right after the first checkpoint (the bully level). Not sure how I kept failing it before...

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Having to move over an entire level like six squares to the right is such a pain. Semi solid platforms just can’t handle it

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Make a fun and exciting but short and sweet Mario level using only 4 screens*. Will it be a series of 4 one screen challenges/puzzles or a short but intense platforming challenge? Limiting yourself to a set area will definitely challenge your creative abilities.

*Note, if you want to have an extra screen for an entrance and exit to dress up your level, feel free to technically make 6 screens, but the meat of your level should be confined to 4 screens

Challenge details:

The scroll lock option is great at locking the view to make levels feel much more “proper”. So far, when I make levels, I have found that I feel like I have to use the entire area available in the game to make a level. I feel that that kind of thinking can lead to levels being too long and difficult as a result. Placing a restriction like this I hope will force everyone to really focus on one or two elements only and how to squeeze as much fun out of them.

As I mentioned above, if you want to make a start screen that just leads to a pipe so you can place your 4 screens in the subworld, go right ahead. Also, my hope is that by limiting the screens, levels won’t take as long to make (or to play and judge!)

When do we want the submission deadline to be? I will try to run through levels as they come in and can probably play the last few levels on Saturday night (Eastern time zone), so if you need most of the day Saturday to finish, I can probably accommodate that (hopefully?)

Have fun!

Bowser's Ambush - PF5-QTW-H8G

Edit: 4 Screens + 1 Opening Screen that i needed for timing.

I also added a tab in the google sheet.

Edit: Had to reupload because ramps don't contribute to scroll lock.

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    3D world has such a great move set but I'm not sure I can handle mario saying "oh bonobo!" one single time more

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    4 screens, eh?

This feels like a job for 3D World’s mystery house structure.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think 3D world is my favorite toolset now?
    It's just so unique and there's so much depth to the moves you can do as well.

• Options

I cannot bring myself to make a level without tracks. They are my crutch.

So I haven't even built a 3D world level yet.

Steam
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Having to move over an entire level like six squares to the right is such a pain. Semi solid platforms just can’t handle it

For whatever reason I tend to like semi solid platforms aesthetically more than most stage backgrounds

So I end up making entire stages using them as the background and yes, this is a hellish way to make a level

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    3D World is interesting as there is both a bunch of stuff you can only do in it but also a bunch of things that seem oddly missing making some ideas impossible to implement in the style.

Anyways, my challenge level.

Banzai Rooms
    9PG-PJC-9XF

Not super happy with it but... eh didn't have any great flashes of inspiration.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Finally got around to messing with the maker part of the Mario maker. I remember the building tools in smm1 being way more intuitive.

Anyway, my original plan was to make a hard path and an easy path, but I decided just to finish the easy path and save my ideas for a harder Yoshi level for later.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    MM1 was more intuitive because it was built for a touchscreen interface only, basically
    MM2 they have to support controller as well. Touchscreen+stylus is faster/better, and you can get faster if you put time into learning the controller interface.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Not sure I can bring myself to ever make a 3D World course. I'd have to playtest it, and the moveset, physics, and voices all drive me too crazy to play it that much.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I definitely want a few more things added to 3d world (tracks, platforms/skull trains for said tracks, 1x1 spike blocks, ability to rotate non falling icicles, ON/Off bricks that work like they do in other styles) are big ones. I'd also like more stylistic variety in Semi-solid platforms, as well as more flexibility on placing them - it's really limiting trying to do asthetics in these levels. Which sucks, because i love making my courses as aesthetically pretty as possible

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Challenge Bash #4
    Incepchain Chomp HSV-TPM-SYG
    A journey through Bowser's dreamscape. If he isn't careful his bubbling hatred will consume him.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Not sure I can bring myself to ever make a 3D World course. I'd have to playtest it, and the moveset, physics, and voices all drive me too crazy to play it that much.

I dont like the "airship" theme at all. The car is neat but I'm struggling to find any real use for it I thought it could skate over water but not for any useful amount of time

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The car is fun but is literally in every way less mobile than just regular ole mario.

• Options
    Car courses are like Sonic levels in that they can be reasonably exhilarating when there's little actual input required, but as soon as the player has to do anything, it becomes a jerking repetition of stop-and-go or memorization and restarting.

I honestly don't know how to make them amusing beyond treating them as auto-Mario courses where you have to press forward. A signal mechanism with arrows can work decently well, but it's still limited.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    I am posting this not because I think this level is good, but because it teaches something important that I was not aware of.
    5T7-S0Y-RYF

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Week 4 - 4 Screens
    WACriminal
    Enkidu House
    PWQ-98Y-YKG
    @quovadis13
    vtc1w9uhbpu8.jpg

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man people make some truly heinous multiplayer levels

I mean, also not multi, but still

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Still trying to upload my Week 4 course. No specific part is especially hard, but the one no-CP flawless run is tough!

• Options
    playing super expert endless is heinous but man it makes expert easier

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    My SMMC #4 entry is uploaded and entered on the doc:

Mariotoads in Mariomaniacs - W0W-9HS-RHF

I took my inspiration from Battletoads' Snake Pit.

Djiem on
  • Options

Challenge details:

Have fun!

@quovadis13

Magikoopa's Fortress Riches - WQJ-DGX-QQF

Comes in at 5 screens, with the exit being 1 screen. Main gameplay is 4 screens. My first map with a clear condition.

At 6.66% clear rate *insert eyes emoji here*

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Yeah I fell off a cliff at 60 coins and peaced out hard. I didn't have time to try it again. Will give it a better go this weekend.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Man, i cannot wait to get my next level into all of your hands. It's a big one, using the entire field horizontally and vertically. It's designed to be very easy to complete... but with many, many routes through it so it should be super fun to speed run/do multiplayer as there's a ton of approaches.

Woulda entered this week's comeption, but i had zero inspiration for it. alas!

• Options
    edited August 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Week 4 - 4 Screens
    WACriminal
    Enkidu House
    PWQ-98Y-YKG
    quovadis13
    vtc1w9uhbpu8.jpg

Spent about an hour with this, after the first 2 coins, i couldn't figure out what you're supposed to do. It seems like it may have to do with exploding certain blocks or using the pow block in the 2nd room, I think. Time limit is strict for not knowing the level, imo.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    Kizmitt wrote: »
    Yeah I fell off a cliff at 60 coins and peaced out hard. I didn't have time to try it again. Will give it a better go this weekend.

there's probably about 10 extra coins then the requirement, so there's a little leeway

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Week 4 - 4 Screens
    WACriminal
    Enkidu House
    PWQ-98Y-YKG
    quovadis13
    vtc1w9uhbpu8.jpg

Spent about an hour with this, after the first 2 coins, i couldn't figure out what you're supposed to do. It seems like it may have to do with exploding certain blocks or using the pow block in the 2nd room, I think. Time limit is strict for not knowing the level, imo.

Spoiler to the solution
    No seriously.
    You saw all 4 rooms. Each room has a twin. There are a few different clues and discrepancies you can pick up on -- different sound effects, slightly different door positioning and appearance, an off-screen Thwomp that's present in one room but not its twin, carrying a POW from one room to its twin and seeing the twin's POW still spawn, etc.

WACriminal on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hey i made a level of anyone wants to try it

Pick A Peck Of Perilous Pipes
    YR2-TQL-5YF

it's supposed to be a versus level, but it works single player too. You just lose a solid bit at the end sp. It's my first level!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    So far I have played levels by:

TelMarine
    Zombie Hero
    Gundi
    Kizmitt
    Djiem
    WACCriminal

If you made a level and I haven’t listed you, let me know. Also, if you are still working on a level, you have about 24 hours to finish (approx 9-10 pm EST) as I will fire up Mario Maker at about this time tomorrow to go through any more levels

• Options
    Master the marvelous mysteries of my magical mini Metroidvania!

Challenge #4
    Course: Tower of Wonder
    Code: 1HF-T8X-5GG

My first idea was to make a course where you'd go back and forth, and things would change up a bit.

My second idea was to riff off a MM1 challenge - no floors. Make a bottomless course with various methods to traverse it.

My third idea was to make a 2x2 water course that focused on exploration.

Then I just figured, to hell with it, I'll do all three!

Hope you enjoy this mild puzzler filled with hazards. It's my first MM2 Metroidvania, which is something I did tons of in MM1 (before they added red coins and locked doors).

• Options
    Whoops, forgot batsignal.

@quovadis13

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    3D world has such a great move set but I'm not sure I can handle mario saying "oh bonobo!" one single time more

Mario knows where to buy a nice pair of chinos