As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Where the hell are the SNES games already!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Man you know what too about Xenoblade...we might never have gotten it localized, it might never have become a worldwide sensation, and justified XCX and XC2 if not for Operation Rainfall. If not for people saying hey, we really want to play these good lookin' games, please bring them over!

Now look at it, not one but two re-releases and everyone loves it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Most likely in 1 hour (3 PM eastern).

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    RE: SNES and NES games.

I would put predict that we won’t get any third party stuff that’s already on the system as part of a collection.

So no Secret of Mana, no Castlevanias, no Mega Mans, no Street Fighters, probably none of the beat’em ups.

Add to that no licensed games, nothing that requires weird peripherals, and the list of potential releases shrinks pretty fast.

There are somewhere around 600 NES games and we’ve gotten about 50 so far, plus the inevitable Startropics 2 and Mach Rider, but there are something like 1800 SNES games and I can’t imagine getting more than 100 of those over the lifecycle of the Switch.

Yeah, when you think about what else was classic on SNES...Mortal Kombat? Probably not.

When you look at a list of all the games on SNES it's just like...not that one...won't get that one...it's rough.

Licensed isn't just movies and TV shows. Game show games like Family Feud and board games like Monopoly also got really good on SNES. Every sports game left the realm of generic and started being official NCAA NBA NHL Ken Griffey Jr. stuff.

While I don't blame Square for being hardheaded about their library and knowing exactly how much it is worth, the fact is they are just absolute bastards these days, and they control a huge chunk of the best games on the system.

So like...Super Alfred Chicken? Super Bomberman if Konami is feeling generous? Bullfrog/EA's Theme Park? EA's Desert Strike?

We're not even getting 50 SNES games.

There are a ton of games I could see making the jump, the list is only small relative to the gigantic library.

https://youtu.be/UGjEu1SUDGU

Jump anywhere in that video and 2 out of 3 times it will probably be licensed based on a non-video game property.

But some categories that I think have a shot:

Cult classics that will likely not be remade or re-released on their own:
    7th Saga
    Actraiser 1&2 (not sure on rights weirdness)
    Arcana
    Uncharted Waters
    Ogre Battle
    Ultima

Military/Shooter titles:
    ASP
    Aero Fighters
    Biometal
    R-Type
    Darius Twin

Straight up weird shit:
    Adventures of Dr Franken
    Chuck Rock
    Lester the Unlikely
    Earthworm Jim

Rare titles, depending on Microsoft’s weird deal:
    DKC 1/2/3
    Killer Instinct 1&2
    Battletoads

What's super weird is there are only a couple first party games missing from the launch list. Super Punch-Out, the DKCs, Earthbound, and maybe one or two others. Nintendo is going to have to court third parties or track down obscure law firms that don't care that they somehow own the rights to things if they want to pad out the release list.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    So, if I never got to play the original Xenoblade Chronicles I should wait until that remaster comes out, play that, then play the second one?

Also, I basically missed almost everything on the Nintendo Systems since the end of the N64 (I've played Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the GC, as well as the first Metroid Prime and the GC Paper Mario, and we have Epic Micky, Rune Factory Frontier, Lost in Shadow, Muramasa, and Super Paper Mario for the Wii, the last two I have yet to even get to). So, are there any things during that time on the GC/Wii/WiiU consoles that were really big misses that have had reissues?

Finally, I have to say it speaks to their quality that I legitimately can't decide if I should continue playing Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild. Neither are quite like their predecessors, but both are just such enjoyable and pretty games. We also have the 4 player Kirby Switch game, because insanity and the demo was fun.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Most likely anything Square, Konami and Capcom might not make it since they already released collections (Street Fighter, Mega Man, Castlevania).

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    If we get UN Squadron / Area 88 I’ll be over the moon. Possibly my favourite SNES game.

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, if I never got to play the original Xenoblade Chronicles I should wait until that remaster comes out, play that, then play the second one?

Also, I basically missed almost everything on the Nintendo Systems since the end of the N64 (I've played Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and Twilight Princess on the GC, as well as the first Metroid Prime and the GC Paper Mario, and we have Epic Micky, Rune Factory Frontier, Lost in Shadow, Muramasa, and Super Paper Mario for the Wii, the last two I have yet to even get to). So, are there any things during that time on the GC/Wii/WiiU consoles that were really big misses that have had reissues?

Finally, I have to say it speaks to their quality that I legitimately can't decide if I should continue playing Mario Odyssey or Breath of the Wild. Neither are quite like their predecessors, but both are just such enjoyable and pretty games. We also have the 4 player Kirby Switch game, because insanity and the demo was fun.

The fact that XC2 is a sequel doesn't matter for 99.5% of the game. Fans will see the nods and get a little understanding of some specific things. Otherwise don't worry about it...but XC is awesome and you may as well play it first if you have the option.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    T-Danger wrote: »
    So how exactly is Doom 64 different from regular Doom?

it's a completely different, new set of levels essentially

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Rare titles, depending on Microsoft’s weird deal:
    DKC 1/2/3
    Killer Instinct 1&2
    Battletoads

What's super weird is there are only a couple first party games missing from the launch list. Super Punch-Out, the DKCs, Earthbound, and maybe one or two others. Nintendo is going to have to court third parties or track down obscure law firms that don't care that they somehow own the rights to things if they want to pad out the release list.

Nintendo already has the rights to the Donkey Kong Country games, Rare never owned them. They've rereleased them lots of times already.
    Also Nintendo kept DK64, I'm not sure about Diddy Kong Racing though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Super Double Dragon seems like a good possibility.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

but...it's Super Double Dragon.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options

I guess I lied and shouldn't trust everything I read.

• Options
    sporky why have you callously betrayed me like this

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    The thing I remember about Doom 64 versus original flavor Doom is that there is quite a larger reliance on puzzles, some of them pretty damn obscure and cryptic, and I actually ran into a wall and stopped playing not because monsters killed me but because I could not figure out a puzzle to finish a map.

And, as stated earlier, it has a much gloomier atmosphere, 75% of it is due to the ambient soundtrack that is very much unlike the brash guitar riffs of original games. Although, if you played the PlayStation/Saturn versions of Doom that had new soundtrack, it's very similar considering it's from the same composer. (Just listen to this shit.)

Well worth checking out but go in thinking less like it's Doom 2.5 and more like Doom Remix, a different take on the game.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    This promotional image for the Switch Lite has a Mario Kart course that I do not recognize. Can anyone tell what it is? It is bugging the hell out of me.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/04/watch-nintendo-direct-pokemon-sword-shield-luigis-mansion-3-overwatch/

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Awww come on. It wasn't as good as DD2, but it was good enough. And now I want Best of the Best as well.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Xenoblade Chronicles is also actually good and fun as opposed to 2.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    This promotional image for the Switch Lite has a Mario Kart course that I do not recognize. Can anyone tell what it is? It is bugging the hell out of me.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/04/watch-nintendo-direct-pokemon-sword-shield-luigis-mansion-3-overwatch/

It's Wario Stadium.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    EDIT…

wait… there have been… wow. I didn't even realize how many Xenoblade games I have played. Xenoblade and Xenoblade Chronicles X just blurred into one experience for me.

Sul on
    Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Sul wrote: »
    This is a silly question, I know. I really know this.

Will I be able to get my Xenoblade save from the Wii U because…I put SO MANY hours into that game and I just don't know if I want to buy DE without, at least, the *option* of continuing on.

No

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SulSul Registered User regular
    I was asking about the entirely incorrect game anyway.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • Options

Awww come on. It wasn't as good as DD2, but it was good enough. And now I want Best of the Best as well.

SDD was where I fell out of love with DD. Probably it didn't help that Final Fight was a launch title and it looked and played (for that time) a lot better than SDD. Also DD2 is so so good.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Different engine, chronologically a sequel to Doom 2, new levels, new guns, etc.

It’s a whole different game.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

It's Wario Stadium.

Thank you. I see it now. That was driving me bonkers.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Different engine, chronologically a sequel to Doom 2, new levels, new guns, etc.

It also takes a more creepy vibe than Doom1/2. It's pretty fun. I had the game when it was new, but I played through the whole thing via fan conversions of it on PC. I think this is the first time it's been ported anywhere officially.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

I guess I lied and shouldn't trust everything I read.

Their website says it's available now but it's not and I've never felt so betrayed.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    where will it be once it's available, an update for the NES games software? a new app on the eshop?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    where will it be once it's available, an update for the NES games software? a new app on the eshop?

The NES app is in the eshop in the Nintendo Switch Online section.

• Options
    CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Word on the street is that SNES games drop at 7:00pm est. https://i.redd.it/va5jvpob4tk31.png

I wonder if the demand will crash the store.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Where the hell are my SNES games!

I want to play Stunt Race FX damnit!

Also bonus tip for those looking for Super Nintendo controller alternatives, the Gbros adapter from 8bitdo that everyone bought for their Smash Bros Gamecube controllers will allow you to use your SNES Classic controllers (and NES Classic, and Wii Pro) wirelessly with the Switch. Even better, the adapter has all the neccesary button functions missing from the controller! (As in screenshot/video and home buttons).

8BitDo-Gbros-Nintendo-Switch-Wireless-Adapter.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular

It's actually considered a sequel to Doom 2? Huh, I wonder if that's the third instance of Doom Slayer defeating the legions of Hell they mentioned in the lore of Doom 2016, and not Doom 3?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Nintendo Tourniquet

Edit: for when you slice yourself open with Labo cardboard. Use the Joy-Con to determine if you still have a pulse!

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

It's actually considered a sequel to Doom 2? Huh, I wonder if that's the third instance of Doom Slayer defeating the legions of Hell they mentioned in the lore of Doom 2016, and not Doom 3?

It's definitely a direct sequel to Doom 2/Final Doom. From the game's manual:
    "Your fatigue was enormous, the price for encountering pure evil. Hell was a place no mortal was meant to experience. Stupid military doctors: their tests and treatments, were of little help. In the end, what did it matter - it was all classified and sealed. The nightmares continued. Demons, so many Demons; relentless, pouring through.

Far Away...

The planetary policy was clear. An absolute quarantine was guaranteed by apocalyptic levels of radiation. The empty dark corridors stand motionless, abandoned. The installations sealed.

The Present...

A long forgotten relay satellite barely executing, decayed by years of bombarding neutrons, activates and sends its final message to Earth. The satellites message was horrific, from the planetary void there came energy signatures unlike anything sampled before.

The classified archives are opened. The military episodes code named "DOOM" were not actually completed. A single entity with vast rejuvenation powers, masked by the extreme radiation levels, escaped detection. In its crippled state, it systematically altered decaying dead carnage back into corrupted living tissue.

The mutations are devastating. The Demons have returned even stronger and more vicious than before. As the only experienced survivor of the DOOM episode, your commission is re-activated. Your assignment is clear: MERCILESS EXTERMINATION."

*cue heavy metal music*

Edit: This wiki article goes into the differences between it and regular Doom:

https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Doom_64

I can still remember the car ride home while holding the shrink wrapped Doom 64 in my hands. I just remember really loving the game a lot, and being amazed that something like this existed on a Nintendo system (even though I had played and owned Doom on SNES). Although I did love Duke Nukem 64 more because of the multiplayer.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The free to play Kirby game is really fuckin' good y'all! Very compelling, but thus far zero incentive to buy real money stuff and I've been at it all evening.

It's like Monster Hunter light.

I've had a few slow motion online games but most have been great and the fights are over in a few minutes either way.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »

That or some kind of new party game.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

That or some kind of new party game.

We strapped a joycon to Ron's leg and another to a rubber gasket, and made him roll around on the floor.

Surprise twist: The Switch isn't even turned on. There is no "game".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I played Doom 64 while staying at an Easter Seal House in Vancouver in 1997. I had only just received a kidney transplant and my mom rented an N64 and Doom 64 to keep me busy. I’m pretty sure I finished it because I really didn’t have a lot to do between doctor appointments at the nearby Children’s Hospital.

What a fantastic game with a great memory attached to it.

Edit: Jesus, it was 1997. I’m not that old.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    My memory of Doom 64 goes like this: I'm at a friend's house in the country for the weekend, me and his brothers. Some of them are playing Doom 64, and make it to the final level, but are just unable to beat it. From what I remember, it involved this giant arena with 4 portals that just kept spewing out monsters before the final boss showed up, and the problem was they kept running out of ammo. They got fed up and gave up, but the rest of us kept going. And we kept doing this back and forth playing, where 1 group would try to do the monster wave with as much health and ammo as possible, then when the boss came go tell them "Ok we have 85% health, full BFG and plasma rifles, and 20 shotgun shells", and they'd try to beat the boss. We never did.

Later on I learned that apparently you're supposed to find some keys or crests or something during the game, and you can turn those teleporters off. Yeah that would have made the whole ordeal a lot easier.