As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starsector is an open-world single-player space-combat hyphenated-description game

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    so I picked this up a couple of days ago and now at point where I have like 300k in the back pocket and a little but solid fleet. Is there an end game to speak of?

I’m also thinking about setting a colony up but when is the best time to do that?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    so I picked this up a couple of days ago and now at point where I have like 300k in the back pocket and a little but solid fleet. Is there an end game to speak of?

I’m also thinking about setting a colony up but when is the best time to do that?

It's a pretty open sandboxey end game. For me it's doing what you just started -- building up colonies, getting them profitable and getting a big enough fleet to fight off all of the terrible things that start attacking them. Once that's done you can go blow up the other factions with your megahuge capital ships and such. Theeen maybe install Nexerelin to capture colonies and a bunch of mods with stronger factions if you're just too cool for vanilla school.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

Kind of. Game isn't really finished so the end game is what you make of it. There will be significant challenges all the way up to full fleets(30 total ships current limit) filled to the brim with capitals and cruisers (minus the civilian ships you need to get those ships to the end game stuff)

edit: And by "will be" i mean "there is". Go fly into a red warning system and [MESSAGE REDACTED BY HEGEMONY COMSEC]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Adventures in a Tri-Tachyon commission:

Oops gotta go in dark for this delivery, they don't seem to like us much.
    Docking permission denied ugh of course.
    OH GOD WHY ARE THERE 5 FLEETS CHASING ME YOU GUYS WE WERE COOL 5 MINUTES AGO!?!?

Out of 32 factions there are 21 with sub-zero relations and 11 of those are outright hostile.

It seemed like a fun way to get some high-tech ships at the time!

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    anyone have favorite mods other than the nex one?

starship legends looks cool

is there one to speed up combat?

• Options
    There is a combat speed up but if you pilot yourself its pretty useless.

I like varya sector. Nex is... eh.

I like starship legends too

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    One of my new favorites is Tahlan Shipworks. They add a bunch of setting appropriate ships to the general pool that include proper SPACE BATTLESHIPS that aren't the Yamato and also aren't the Arcadia. Those two ships are a bit much, while the Nibelung and its variant bounty ship both look and play the part of pre-Mastery Era designs. Lowest of low tech, from the days where space battleships broadsiding each other was a thing.

And if it wasn't a thing, I feel it should have been. And it sure is, now that I'm flying one.

If the Space Battleship Yamato or Space Pirate Battleship Arcadia interest you, Interstellar Imperium includes the first and Sylphon RnD features the Metafalicia, a variable ammo cannon equipped ghost ship that gets tougher the higher its flux spikes, as well as high tech versions of the Tahlan Nibelung.

I don't actually like flying the Imperial or Sylphon ships in general, but I'm perfectly happy to sink merchant fleets in their space. The Metafalicia, in particular, is so much fun to use as a solo ship. Lots of their weapons just look rad, too.

If you dig more vanilla appropriate looking ships, the Mayasuran Navy is fairly high quality with a couple exceptions that might just be a matter of differing taste. They explore Core era tech and pay special attention to the Hammerhead. Really special. They made a cruiser and battleship sized Hammerhead and a beefier destroyer too. Why not. There's even an absurd phase ship battleship Hammerhead because they thought the Doom was ugly. As a faction they're a, "What if Mayasura's population wasn't wiped out by Hegemony and Luddic war crimes," thing.

My favorite weapons come with the Kadur Remnant. They're another "What if the Hegemony wasn't quite so good at butchering civilians," idea that favours Eagle and Falcon variants, no Hammerheads. Their ships have substandard shields and mobility options that get them into trouble. I enjoy mounting their weapons, lots of long-range ballistics. As a faction, they live around a black hole with a couple pirate stations nearby.

Bombing Hegemony planets means blowing up Hegemony fleets, and the Mayasuran and Kadur ships look most fitting in that role. Verisimilitude is half the battle.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Anyone have tips on getting started and earning early money?
    I picked scavenger at the start and the non combat ship. I've done couple delivery missions, but so far no luck finding anything to scavenge for money and my fleet (all 5 shitty ships of it) and crew are eating what little money i have faster than i can earn it.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I picked scavenger at the start and the non combat ship. I've done couple delivery missions, but so far no luck finding anything to scavenge for money and my fleet (all 5 shitty ships of it) and crew are eating what little money i have faster than i can earn it.

Find a core system with a decent pirate presence and salvage after battles between them and the local forces.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Trade. Trade your little heart out. Or other people's hearts. Harvested Organs are always on the menu. The Black Market doesn't have awful tariffs associated with it, but you can generate some suspicion for large transactions and getting caught with your transponder off can be awkward. Shielded Cargo Holds are handy for contraband.

Reducing accessibility to a colony by murdering the merchants who try to reach it is always a neighborly thing to do, as within a month or so they'll start paying exorbitant prices for the goods you looted.

If you're not in a position to do that yourself, you can probably do some work in any system that's currently running extra hot, too.

I usually start by bounty hunting. Local bounties or the modded international bounty board missions are good fun. Going off into the blue yonder with an exploration ship and a tanker to loot planets is also fine dosh if you can keep from being eaten by REDACTED. Or you can stay closer to home, there are lots of ruins around the core worlds that you can visit instead while you're waiting to take advantage of humanitarian crises. You may happen to stumble across such opportunities while turning in the latest haul from your tech-mining operation. Feel free to sell survey data if you're surveying, that's harmless to your interests right now.

If you loot a bunch of ai-cores, you can turn them in for rep or squirrel them away for future use. Again, dangerous to keep out in the open.

Umnum, what else. Black holes and neutron stars are lovely places to visit if they happen to have research stations nearby, though neutron stars absolutely will wreck your shit if you pop into their death rays. I understand the trick is to either sacrifice a Hegemony governor or drop directly on the star and e-burn somewhere safe while eating the corona.

Oh! You could also potentially take a loan from a Tri-Tachyon representative to help get your shenanigans started. They give a pretty good deal, though I can't recall if that was a modded addition to my game.

And survey missions! Independents can point you to all sorts of juicy places to loot.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Find a core system with a decent pirate presence and salvage after battles between them and the local forces.

I have no idea how i would even try any of that. :)
    The game seems great, but the UI is not very new user friendly.
    Will see about it.
    Is there a way i could strip derelict ships for salvage instead of recovering the ship itself? The ships don't seem very valuable to sell so not sure if that would be worth the supplies it takes to drag them to be sold.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    There's a bit in the dialogue prompts that allows for you to pass up the ship and just scuttle it on the spot. You're free to consider salvaging and examine them first. This'll pop up in post-combat salvage operations, too. It is okay to be picky. D-modded ships can be cheap to run and handy to pick up, but scuttling them for supplies and equipment is fine.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    It’s tough to make money only salvaging debris fields. Those are more to sustain you with supplies and fuel and loot ship hulls, which aren’t worth that much by themselves

If you started with the apogee it has a mod that greatly decreases the supplies you need to survey a planet, which can be good money if you get good surveys (don’t survey giant planets, they’re very expensive and rarely good) or if you find ruins

Ruins often often have good cargo and sometimes extremely valuable ai cores and hi-tech goodies that sell for half a million credits. If you find a system with a “low” danger warning beacon that’s a good indication that there’s some goodies in that system, and the starting fleet can generally handle them.

Also use your sensor burst to find stuff, and look out for research stations, dominion probes, and mining stations

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    every time I see Tri-tachyon I can't not hear it in my head as tri-TACH *badump bump* EE-Yahnn~ like in the sseth video...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    @Heir

Probably should have mentioned this for player ships since its worth mentioning.

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Safety_Overrides

Are amazing. They absolutely nuke your peak time but they do five things, three good, two bad.

1) They give you a flat max speed bonus of 50/30/20 depending on your hull size (SO cannot be fit on capitals)
    2) They double your flux dissipation including any from additional vents. So this basically doubles your DPS
    3) It lets you use the zero flux speed boost at any flux level. The zero flux speed boost is 50. So your total speed boost in combat is 100 for frigates, 80 for destroyers, and 70 for cruisers.

The bad things are

4) It cuts your range down to 450+.25 (range above 450) which means you're immediately short range.
    5) It means you cannot vent. Venting doubles your flux dissipation so its like you're venting all the time anyway

Anyway. Safety Overrides is probably the first opening to "how to learn to pilot my own ships" because it will give you an immediate and huge advantage over what you're fighting individually. And this (and the associated forgiveness) will mean that you can more easily learn to pilot yourself.

And as an aside. Always recover Luddic Path Lashers and Brawlers. While they have unrelaible subsystems by default that goes away if you repair them(which is expensive). And then they get safety overrides for zero OP cost as its "built in"

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    @Heir

Probably should have mentioned this for player ships since its worth mentioning.

https://starsector.fandom.com/wiki/Safety_Overrides

Are amazing. They absolutely nuke your peak time but they do five things, three good, two bad.

1) They give you a flat max speed bonus of 50/30/20 depending on your hull size (SO cannot be fit on capitals)
    2) They double your flux dissipation including any from additional vents. So this basically doubles your DPS
    3) It lets you use the zero flux speed boost at any flux level. The zero flux speed boost is 50. So your total speed boost in combat is 100 for frigates, 80 for destroyers, and 70 for cruisers.

The bad things are

4) It cuts your range down to 450+.25 (range above 450) which means you're immediately short range.
    5) It means you cannot vent. Venting doubles your flux dissipation so its like you're venting all the time anyway

Anyway. Safety Overrides is probably the first opening to "how to learn to pilot my own ships" because it will give you an immediate and huge advantage over what you're fighting individually. And this (and the associated forgiveness) will mean that you can more easily learn to pilot yourself.

And as an aside. Always recover Luddic Path Lashers and Brawlers. While they have unrelaible subsystems by default that goes away if you repair them(which is expensive). And then they get safety overrides for zero OP cost as its "built in"

Thanks @Goumindong . I've actually been playing with SO on my destroyers and it's quite fun. But now my fleet has a battlecruiser and I usually make that my personal ship, or a Dominator Cruiser...which that lack of range really hurts on such a slow ship.

That said, it's ungodly early game. I've been tempted to keep it on a few of my officer's ships, but not sure what personality trait would work best in that case. Thoughts?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Safety Overrides dominator is... an amazing ship even into the lategame. Assault Chainguns need a nerf

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Another weird thing I've encountered lately:

Sometimes I can't deploy nearly as many ships as usual...my max deployment points is lower. Googling isn't giving me much, anyone know why that happens?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Safety Overrides dominator is... an amazing ship even into the lategame. Assault Chainguns need a nerf

Really? I'd think it'd be too slow to get in range. Might have to try it!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir wrote: »

Really? I'd think it'd be too slow to get in range. Might have to try it!

It can have trouble against some frigates but burn drive works pretty well. Remember you get the no flux speed boost so against anything that has flux and isn't SO you've got a huge advantage.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Another weird thing I've encountered lately:

Sometimes I can't deploy nearly as many ships as usual...my max deployment points is lower. Googling isn't giving me much, anyone know why that happens?

Btw, figured this out. You can set max battle size in the settings. Apparently the enemy gets more ships if there is limited availability?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    maximin deployment points is variable based on the total deployment points of each fleet. Up to 1.5x. This is to give bigger fleets an advantage so as to counteract the battle size artificially limiting their combat ability.

(Smaller battle size still benefits smaller fleets, but not as much)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Makes sense. It was a much bigger fleet than mine.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Also note that you can always deploy one ship regardless of any DP issues (this can result due to fighting with allied fleets)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Ok so five planets between two systems was definitely a mistake.

I thought picking up another good planet halfway to the core would help but all it's done is mean I have to deal with constant pirate raids in two places which means I only barely ever really get ahead of them and can't spend much time running illicit gods to fund my forced planet growth that' required to offset the penalties from the constant pirate raids.

On the upside I am technically making progress. It's just glaccially slower than it would have been it I wasn't bouncing back and forth desperately attempting to murder pirate raids.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    I've explored a ton of the map, saved up about 1.5 million credits. Found a few systems that look like good colonization candidates. Terrified to pull the trigger though. I've found a couple simple guides to follow, but any tips y'all have would be appreciated.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I've explored a ton of the map, saved up about 1.5 million credits. Found a few systems that look like good colonization candidates. Terrified to pull the trigger though. I've found a couple simple guides to follow, but any tips y'all have would be appreciated.

It’s pretty easy, bring a few hundred metal and transplutonic metal (the gray cylinders) to build a comm relay.

When you start the colony you’ll be at negative growth because no one is bringing food or domestic goods, but that will be over in 15 days when your star port is built

Build a profitable industry followed by a defensive station or ground batteries, and that will keep it safe for the time being

Later build heavy industry so you can build ships, keep beholding profitable industries, a patrol hq, upgrade your battle station etc.

• Options

What do you think here to compliment? Dual Machine Guns and Annilator Pods?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

A low hazard rating world with food on it is all you truly need.

If you want large monetary returns you'll need probably 3 planets, one with volatiles, one with rare ore and one with food, all with decent hazard ratings so you can diversify industries and supply everything in system.

• Options

I usually go

2 heavy machine guns in the large front OR 2 devastator cannons or 2 assault chainguns
    2 assault chainguns in the med turrets

3 dlmg or lmg up front.

Typhoon or anhillator in the launchers. Sabots if you have full HE in the medium/large slots.

Vulcans in the rest of the smalls prioritized to the rear. (IPDAI is nice).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Low hazard with food is the easiest way to make money early. And low hazard in general is good. (Biggest advantage is growth)

But later resouces matter more than hazard. Because if you can meet all your demand internally then you get a 50% reduction in all upkeep costs.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Upkeep wise, it's much better to have your light/heavy/fuel industries on low-hazard worlds because they have a much higher base upkeep than farming/mining/refining do. Military bases have high upkeep and count as an industry slot as well so it's also good to build those on low hazard worlds. The Patrol HQ is still good to build everywhere.

• Options
    Yes but in the end its not a huge effect. Hazard and domestic production are multipliers. So a 200% planet with full domestic production has the upkeep of a 100% planet. As as you go down in effective hazard rating you gain less and less since half of 100% is 50% and half of 200% is 100%. By having your military base on a 100% planet vs a 200% planet you save yourself a whole 8 to 16k credits/month....

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

I usually go

2 heavy machine guns in the large front OR 2 devastator cannons or 2 assault chainguns
    2 assault chainguns in the med turrets

3 dlmg or lmg up front.

Typhoon or anhillator in the launchers. Sabots if you have full HE in the medium/large slots.

Vulcans in the rest of the smalls prioritized to the rear. (IPDAI is nice).

Yeah I just tested this out and holy shit. Love it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    @Goumindong where have safety overrides been my whole life

I’m in a hammerhead, zipping around the battle field and absolutely tearing through enemy fleets and then zipping out

It feels delightful

• Options
    As fleet sizes get bigger they fall off a bit but they're definitely tops for early game. The AAF on the hammerhead makes 2 AC's perform like 3 so its not almost as much firepower as the Dominator.

I also enjoy the "double heavy blaster Safety Overrides Medusa". Probably not as strong as the hammerhead at the moment because AC's are OP but still quite fun

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Google is failing me here: Will Integrated Targeting Units allow for weapon range increases on a System Overriden ship? Testing is inconclusive, but doesn't seem like it.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Yes. But not a lot.

Safety Overrdies range = Min (Weapon range,450+(weapon range -450)*.25)

So if you're on a cruiser and fit an assault chaingun your range is... conveniently 450. If you fit a Hephaestus Assault Gun your range would be 450 +(900-450)*.25 = 562.5. If you added an ITU for +40% range these would become

Assault Chaingun -> 495 = 450+ (450*1.4 - 450)*.25
    Haphaestus Assault Gun -> 652.5 = 450+(900*1.4 -450)*.25

For Destroyers(20% boost) and Frigates (10% boost) you probably won't even be able to notice the difference. You kinda have to have longer ranged guns and be a big ship to see anything noticeable. And even then the HAG on a cruiser only gains 16%.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    It took me longer than I would care to admit to realize that marines don't contribute to ground defense strength.

Don't be me.

• Options
    What's up when I find supply caches sometimes it sends out a signal. I haven't really figured out what that leads to.

camo_sig2.png