As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    What has four eyes but can't see?

Trump's Immigration Policy?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    What has four eyes but can't see?

Trump's Immigration Policy?

Shit.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm dying to know how much a 2000 mile moat stocked with alligators costs.
    You may be able to find out soon!

(Ken is a journalist)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh - and they’re considering grabbing DNA samples from migrants.

https://apple.news/AshtyItVQQ3iL9rwJzPtYtw

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    mcp wrote: »
    I'm dying to know how much a 2000 mile moat stocked with alligators costs.
    You may be able to find out soon!

(Ken is a journalist)

The aide who got quotes from "Dale's Crocofarm" breathes a huge sigh of relief.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I’m just imagining the “Cajun navy” hunting down hundreds of thousands of alligators for their President’s moat :)

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    If this were a kids show or some sort of comedy, a moat full of snakes or alligators might have been amusing. Problem is it's the POTUS and that is just mortifying to realize that not only does he want to piss money away on a useless ass wall, that is a monument to racist fascist shit weasels. He also wanted to waste a ton of money building a moat full of gators and snakes for the thing.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Surprised he didn't want a lava moat as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    When you're rich, you don't ever have to grow up if you don't want to.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    If this were a kids show or some sort of comedy, a moat full of snakes or alligators might have been amusing. Problem is it's the POTUS and that is just mortifying to realize that not only does he want to piss money away on a useless ass wall, that is a monument to racist fascist shit weasels. He also wanted to waste a ton of money building a moat full of gators and snakes for the thing.

Or the snakes would end up eating all the aligators or something.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

That's why you get the gorillas

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular

Pythons can eat gators too sometimes. Sorta. ..doesn't turn out well for either of them. (google Florida, Python, alligator for pics. if you are so inclined.)

...... I like how this post, in a normal world, SHOULD be off topic, buuuuuut....

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Meanwhile, in the other "I" thread:

Trump admin has made official it's plan to start denying visas on Nov 3rd if you can't prove you have TRICARE or private (non-subsidized) health insurance, or won't be able to afford healthcare (but I repeat myself).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/presidential-proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-will-financially-burden-united-states-healthcare-system/

Question: Is this truly a new policy, or one of those things where he tries to spin an existing policy into an (abominable) accomplishment for his base?

Pretty sure it's the former, but our immigration policies are pretty shitty, and seem to only get worse the more I learn about them.

Edit: Qualifying plans
    (b) Approved health insurance means coverage under any of the following plans or programs:

(i) an employer-sponsored plan, including a retiree plan, association health plan, and coverage provided by the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985;

(ii) an unsubsidized health plan offered in the individual market within a State;

(iii) a short-term limited duration health policy effective for a minimum of 364 days — or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States;

(iv) a catastrophic plan;

(v) a family member’s plan;

(vi) a medical plan under chapter 55 of title 10, United States Code, including coverage under the TRICARE program;

(vii) a visitor health insurance plan that provides adequate coverage for medical care for a minimum of 364 days — or until the beginning of planned, extended travel outside the United States;

(viii) a medical plan under the Medicare program; or

(ix) any other health plan that provides adequate coverage for medical care as determined by the Secretary of Health and Human Services or his designee.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Trumpdozers tearing down ancient Saguaros to make room for the border wall. (a reminder that most of these size Saguaros are likely on average twice as old as the people tearing them down)

Normally destroying a Saguaro in Arizona is a felony, but don't worry - Uncle Sam of course has a loophole in place where the rules don't apply to them.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/outrage-new-video-shows-bulldozers-destroying-americas-1838787163
    That said, there is, of course, some legal wiggle room here. The government has access to what’s called a Roosevelt Reservation, a 60-foot strip of land along the border it can manage for border protection. The saguaros being knocked down are technically within that strip. But even still, under normal circumstances, the actions there would be governed by U.S. laws that include environmental protections and reviews. In the case of the wall being built by the Trump administration, many of those reviews have been waived because the president declared a bullshit national emergency to fast-track construction.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So, it looks like Donald is having a bad couple weeks.

Looks like this is something else to add to the pile.

"BREAKING: Federal judge BLOCKS the Trump administration's "public charge" rule change on immigration.

Background from earlier this week, @CourthouseNews: https://courthousenews.com/judge-skewers-rule-change-on-immigrants-receiving-welfare/"
    {Threaded}
    "From the accompanying 24-page opinion, which I am uploading now:

The current interpretation of "'public charge' has been accepted for over a century" and those challenging the rule change -- including @NewYorkStateAG and @MaketheRoadNY
    -- are likely to succeed on the merits." "
    {Threaded}
    INBOX: @NewYorkStateAG "James reacts, "Once again, the courts have thwarted the Trump Administration’s attempts to enact rules that violate both our laws and our values, sending a loud and clear message that they cannot rewrite our story to meet their agenda." "
    {Significantly more threaded}
    - Adam Klasfeld is a reporter for Courthouse News, which appears to be a news source for lawfirms.

There's much more detailed information in that thread, but the general jist of it appears to be the judges appear to have gone (paraphrasing) "Fuckin' seriously? Get the fuck out of here with that weak ass shit".

Yeah, I'm overexaggerating, but not by much.

Judge Daniels: “Congress isn’t passing this rule. Congress isn’t changing this rule. You’re changing this rule.”

Note, this is a "judge who ruled in Trump's favor in the past (the emoluments case)."

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Aaaaand it gets worse for Trump.

Court rules Trump violated law with emergency order to build border wall
    A federal court in Texas has ruled that President Trump violated the law by using a national emergency proclamation to acquire funds to build the border wall with Mexico. NBC News' Pete Williams has details on the ruling.
    https://www.msnbc.com/katy-tur/watch/court-rules-trump-violated-law-with-emergency-order-to-build-border-wall-71089221536

As reported in the clip, the judge hasn't ruled on the consequence yet. He's asked the plaintiffs (El Paso County TX, and the Border Network For Human Rights) to file a proposed preliminary injunction (ie, "What do you want me to do?").

The reporter does unfortunately say "the border wall construction will continue", when IIRC it has never started, because they still can't figure out what the fuck they're doing, but it does concede the false point that he's building it.

But regardless of that, another loss for Trump on the one policy proposal he actually seems to care about.

EDIT: I guess the "border wall construction" might include the bulldozing of the Saguaros that @Donnicton pointed out in the post above mine. Foundational preparation work, rather than physical installation of wall sections. Just seemed to be suggesting more than that.

MorganV on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Homeland security is TSA and ICE, right?

Well, the Acting Secretary has resigned, as the 4th person to lead it in the past 3 years.

Happy Friday.

https://apple.news/ATPzxjwBaTCmf56uUwgyELQ

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I can't wait for the Acting Acting Secretary.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Odds he was asked to do something massively illegal?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular

Zero. No way he was asked.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    o

Probably told him to threaten Mexico for dirt on Biden and the Mueller report.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Even if they're not building the wall yet, tearing down those ancient cacti is irreversible damage. Winning all the court cases in the world doesn't help if the admin decides to push forward with permanent damage.

• Options

Sucker's bet.

I do wonder if he'd still be resigning if the White House wasn't it's current level of clusterfuckery, and was more at mid-year clusterfuckery.

Is this a crisis of conscience that's caused him to resign, or a fear he'll be exposed if he didn't bug out?

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Homeland security is TSA and ICE, right?

Well, the Acting Secretary has resigned, as the 4th person to lead it in the past 3 years.

Happy Friday.

https://apple.news/ATPzxjwBaTCmf56uUwgyELQ

Also USCIS, CBP, USCG, FEMA, and the secret service, among others.

It’s a big wastebasket department

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    hello thread.

I just came here to state that I believe immigrating without filling out the proper paperwork should be a civil infraction. Pay ~$100, and actually fill out the paperwork, and you are good.

We need warm bodies, now, filling jobs and paying taxes. Sweet, sweet taxes; to pay for all these old people. Our debt is 100% GDP. Why are we turning people away?

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    hello thread.

I just came here to state that I believe immigrating without filling out the proper paperwork should be a civil infraction. Pay ~$100, and actually fill out the paperwork, and you are good.

We need warm bodies, now, filling jobs and paying taxes. Sweet, sweet taxes; to pay for all these old people. Our debt is 100% GDP. Why are we turning people away?

Because the people in power are white nationalists trying to create an ethnostate.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    hello thread.

Because the people in power are white nationalists trying to create an ethnostate.

White nationalists trying to create an ethno state where somehow work still gets done, and they dont need to pay slavery levels of guard labor and can still walk to the shops without being kidnapped if they so choose.

Here's a hint, that's not how an ethno state can work!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    hello thread.

White nationalists trying to create an ethno state where somehow work still gets done, and they dont need to pay slavery levels of guard labor and can still walk to the shops without being kidnapped if they so choose.

Fascists aren't rational, if you haven't noticed. Even if they got their dream come true, and America was filled with only white people, they would invent new standards, new bigotry, new others, because that's what their system is designed for. If there is no enemy they will manufacture one.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    hello thread.

Fascists aren't rational, if you haven't noticed. Even if they got their dream come true, and America was filled with only white people, they would invent new standards, new bigotry, new others, because that's what their system is designed for. If there is no enemy they will manufacture one.

I believe the idea would ne to return attention back to Irish and Italians. Or some...other...historical minority.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Naw, they don't even really care about people working without authorization.*

They just want to be able to treat those people like slaves and have them deported if they ask for things like minimum wage or safe working conditions.

*like, you know how you have to submit work eligibility docs when you start a new job? those aren't actively verified by anybody, they just go into the company's HR file never to be seen again

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    HuffPost is reporting that ICE isn't keeping up with tracking detainees. In fact, 700 women who were in a Texas facility were moved and now none of their lawyers know where they are.
    HuffPost wrote:
    Starting on Sept. 20, the women being held at the Karnes County Residential Center were sent to other centers around the country so that the facility could be used to detain families. More than two weeks later, their lawyers from the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) have no idea where the majority of these women are being held, and they can’t find any updated information in ICE’s online detainee tracking system.

The article goes on to say:
    HuffPost wrote:
    The online system that tracks ICE detainees is notoriously faulty. While in most cases ICE is not legally required to inform lawyers when their clients are being transferred, that information is supposed to be accessible via the agency’s online ICE Detainee Locator within roughly 24 hours of a person’s relocation according to Andrew Lorenzen-Strait, who formerly worked as a deputy assistant director for custody programs at ICE.

But according to lawyers who rely on the system to track their clients, the locator is unreliable.

Why is the locator unreliable? For some it doesn't even load, for others the information they have conflicts with what has (or more probably has not) been entered into the system. It's run by birth date so if it gets mistyped, skipped, or confused with another persons then they can't be found. This has the effect of denying those detained by ICE from having reliable legal service as well as reliable medical service. The latter of which is something already well known here. However, the article goes on to state that in this particular case it means that one woman in the Karnes facility is being denied treatment for her uterine cancer and another is being denied treatment for AIDS. Furthermore, as of right now, 100 or so of the women transferred no longer show in the system. Approximately 660 more show as being at the Texas facility despite them being moved.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I just don't understand why people think this is a good idea. Like yeah, racism, but c'mon!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Aioua wrote: »
    Naw, they don't even really care about people working without authorization.*

They just want to be able to treat those people like slaves and have them deported if they ask for things like minimum wage or safe working conditions.

*like, you know how you have to submit work eligibility docs when you start a new job? those aren't actively verified by anybody, they just go into the company's HR file never to be seen again

This is part of why I'm in favor of complete freedom of movement/open borders. Removing the threat of deportation or even fines would go a long way in helping undocumented migrant workers organize for better wages and conditions.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I just don't understand why people think this is a good idea. Like yeah, racism, but c'mon!

Strong chance of slavery.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular

We learned about the Holocaust because the Nazis kept good records. Clearly the ICE learns from history.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    hello thread.

I believe the idea would ne to return attention back to Irish and Italians. Or some...other...historical minority.

Ya let me tell you how quick people would manage to find out my family was Polish back in the mid -70s and proceed to terrorize us. Once they get down to just whites, then it becomes hair color, eye color, whatever, until anything other is gone.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Jephery wrote: »

We learned about the Holocaust because the Nazis kept good records. Clearly the ICE learns from history.

My original post was "at least the Nazis kept good records", but I am always worried about that line.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I have a feeling that there are already mass graves near detention centers, and we just aren't aware of them yet.

Not that we aren't to the level of "willfully and purposefully committing mass murder," just that people keep dying in custody from preventable and treatable issues and they want to cover it up.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    With ICE, the question isn't "are they doing something wrong", it's "which atrocities have they committed so far".

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    hello thread.

Ya let me tell you how quick people would manage to find out my family was Polish back in the mid -70s and proceed to terrorize us. Once they get down to just whites, then it becomes hair color, eye color, whatever, until anything other is gone.

One of the biggest drivers behind Brexit is anti-Polish bigotry.

This discussion has been closed.