As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Incel carries a certain connotation to it... I wouldn't use it as shorthand.

I haven't watched the video/checked out the game so I don't know yet, but the title comes across as fairly tongue-in-cheek. If anything, it's based on a trope from anime, and while it's pretty much juvenile humor, I don't think anyone playing the game is enjoying in a straightforward fashion. It strikes me as a goofy satire.

Like the House Party example, they played it because it's such a silly concept for a game. It's like being concerned when they played the game about suicidal babies, just because they play the game does not mean they support actual panty stealing or babies dying from eating batteries.

I'm well aware of the fiction/reality distinction, and (as I already stated) I am not trying to morally judge the Grumps. I like Danny and Arin.

But I think there's a valid difference between the two examples here: Nobody would think that babies should be fed batteries. Lots of guys -- and lots of guys watching this channel -- would think that there's nothing wrong with, for example, stealing a girl's underwear (Pantsu Hunter), or manipulating a girl into having sex with them via deception, or exposing a girl without her consent for a laugh (both House Party). These things seem absurd to Dan and Arin (and you and me!), because they're stand-up guys who wouldn't do that shit. But there's a significant segment of their audience who don't feel that way, and platforming this kind of content just reinforces those standards.

I think you and I just have a different opinion about what level of responsibility entertainers have on these issues. And that's okay! My take is: The gamer community is observably misogynistic, arguably moreso than the average population. I think it's important for content creators to take that into account when they're thinking about what kind of content they want to create, and put forward the effort to at least do no harm, but preferably to also leave things better than they found them. I'm not saying they gotta be The Woke Grumps or whatever, but I wouldn't even be saying this if I didn't think they were capable of better.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I mean, that's fine and all, but that's an issue with the person viewing the content, not the persons playing the game/the game devs. For instance, the Grumps play a lot of games with guns in it too, or otherwise violent games. Just like there is not demonstrable link between guns/violence in games and real life, I think the same could he said of games around the nature of sex. Sure, there are probably people out there who aren't educated or simply willfully misinterpret games about a certain subject to be encouraging of a type of behavior. I worry this is an overt version of censorship, where instead the Grumps pretty clearly signal to the viewer at home "hey this game is art and not an outright endorsement or thumbs up in approval of all acts contained within."

So while I understand the trepidation with these types of things, I don't think it's fair to either the Grumps or the people who made the game, and more rather those specific individuals with problematic attitudes be addressed, rather than games or content creators being forced due to lack of exposure, to shy away from subjects that would make a suburban mom from the 80's faint.

I suppose this is outside the scope of the thread but I do find it interesting that just because -some- people won't understand that a work is satire or parody, that the art or developers in general are less deserving of a spotlight or platform. Like you said, nobody -should- think feeding batteries to babies is a good idea, and yet there are sadly people out there who have done things along those lines. Do we therefore need to censor and de-platform the devs of Who's Your Daddy? Or do you simply continue to hold those individuals with malintent responsible and leave the artists alone?

I think it's an interesting conversation to be had, that games about sex are held up to more scrutiny than ones about violence. If a game about stealing panties is off limits, there's a list a mile long after that title with much more explicit material. The point is that comedy deals in extremes, and often times the games with the most ridiculous scenarios become popular. So idk, it's complicated and I don't think you're wrong for feeling that way, but it's just a game and if someone actually goes around stealing underwear, they have much larger issues than watching the Game Grumps, I assure you.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    It seems like this game is going the path of that Doki whatever game where there's a story and then some dark shit starts happening.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2_dOLCBSkA

Oh my God at the end... Well done Ben!

urahonky on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    It was worth it to make it this far into this pantsu hunter jawn.

Full blown insane-o town indeed. I still cannot tell if this game wanted to take itself seriously and failed hilariously, or is just really good at being a complete mess.

• Options
    Watching last years Friday the 13th playthrough and it reminded me when people got all pissed off that they only did one episode of Ghoul Grumps and Arin had to apologize to the base. It just pissed me off again.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Watching last years Friday the 13th playthrough and it reminded me when people got all pissed off that they only did one episode of Ghoul Grumps and Arin had to apologize to the base. It just pissed me off again.

Feedback is good, but people don't treat others like human beings when they give it. "We love Ghoul Grumps, bring it back!" is good feedback. Threatening them or trying to tank the channel because you miss it is insane though.

• Options

Feedback is good, but people don't treat others like human beings when they give it. "We love Ghoul Grumps, bring it back!" is good feedback. Threatening them or trying to tank the channel because you miss it is insane though.

Yeah had the fans gone the direction they did with Heave Ho then it would have been fine. But if you remember reddit around that time... hoo boy people were extra mean about it. And I know reddit is reddit, but they were especially ornery about Ghoul Grumps for some reason.

Hopefully they do more episodes of it this year. Not because of reddit but because I love when they play scary games. I recently watched PT and hearing Danny beg Arin to stop playing was kinda funny.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I seriously loved their Chicken in the Dark series from last year.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife and I are going to see Scribble Showdown this Tuesday in Seattle. Can’t wait for some fun away from the kids.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkwzfi9Vn3Y

Jesus fucking Christ I laughed SO HARD at...
    When Dan grabs the rope and accidentally clotheslines Arin.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    That Kenny G game they played on the Power Hour...

looks pretty fun actually.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

I was coming here to say that. It looks like a genuinely fun card game.

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    Taya wrote: »

I was coming here to say that. It looks like a genuinely fun card game.

Needs a Scatman spin-off.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    Pantsu Hunter is actually pretty funny. The game is way less "sexy" than I thought it would be.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I still can't tell if it was accidentally terrible, or intentionally that absurd.

• Options
    The wife and I went to scribble showdown this week in Seattle. The audience was a surprising mix of 12-14, 19-23, and 30+ ages.

Ross was amazing in person and Arin was way less angry. All the artists were whipping up stuff on the spot and the results were phenomenal. The show peaked with an animated cartoon with characters and objects suggested by the audience.

If you can, I’d highly recommend the show for any age. Oh, and holy shit was the crowd popping for each artist. Like, it was damn near deafening at some points.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Kai_San wrote: »
    I still can't tell if it was accidentally terrible, or intentionally that absurd.

Same here. Especially with the spelling errors.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    In this installment of Surprise Grump Cameo, Arin gets a callout by Matt McMuscles in Matt's latest video.

https://youtu.be/0DEM0oate9w

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdszBcsgt1Y

5:30 turned out a lot different than I thought it would.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Arin singing Adiemus during the Skyward Sword play is still hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy6iKPgne2c

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
  • Options
    This Blair Witch game is awful so far lol

• Options
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If that's a House Party Game Grumps special DLC or hack, I mean... I will watch that.

I hope they got them to voice themselves. And have a lot of really stupid requests to make of the player.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hKpgzzyuH8

I forgot about this classic!

• Options
    This Blair Witch playthrough is fucking painful to watch. The game is not entertaining at all, and I have no idea where the fuck the doggo is at any time. Like, Arin's playing of the game is also pretty bad, and it doesn't seem like they're into it, and that's not fun either, but I think that probably has a lot to do with the game being poor GG material.

• Options
    I hopped onto reddit just to take a look at the subreddit and see if anyone else is talking about the Blair Witch videos and I was surprised to see that it looks very barren. Not very many posts and little comments on topics.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    This Blair Witch playthrough is fucking painful to watch. The game is not entertaining at all, and I have no idea where the fuck the doggo is at any time. Like, Arin's playing of the game is also pretty bad, and it doesn't seem like they're into it, and that's not fun either, but I think that probably has a lot to do with the game being poor GG material.

I've played it and have to say it's not Arin's fault. It's hard to know where the hell your dog is as you play it, let alone seeing it in a video.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    I hopped onto reddit just to take a look at the subreddit and see if anyone else is talking about the Blair Witch videos and I was surprised to see that it looks very barren. Not very many posts and little comments on topics.

I'm guessing fans are gunshy about complaining about ghoul grumps after last year, because they're incapable of understanding the difference between criticism and harassment.

• Options
    RE2 should have been the game they played.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    On the other hand, I'm having a great time with "Man of Me, Dan!" so far. It's got that "good-ish but still goofy" acting level that the Grumps always have fun with.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    RE2 should have been the game they played.

With the Thomas the Tank Engine mod.

• Options
    On the other hand, I'm having a great time with "Man of Me, Dan!" so far. It's got that "good-ish but still goofy" acting level that the Grumps always have fun with.

Ha, I was coming here just to say this. Perfect GG material.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    New NSP video for We Built This City, from the new cover album:

https://youtu.be/BoJzfHKNpyk

And speaking of the new cover album, the preorders are up today. The album drops on the 11/15. Preorder link in the video description.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I know "We Built this City" is constantly referenced as one of the worst songs ever written, but that beat is just so damn danceable and catchy.

Also, Dan covers Glory of Love and Owner of a Lonely Heart. This album is already a bestseller.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Zomro wrote: »
    New NSP video for We Built This City, from the new cover album:

https://youtu.be/BoJzfHKNpyk

And speaking of the new cover album, the preorders are up today. The album drops on the 11/15. Preorder link in the video description.

That was glorious. I was 9 when that song was released and I remember it playing on the radio. I couldn't understand what the song was about, but damn if it didn't get stuck in your head.

Uh, and Glory of fucking Love and Owner of a Broken Heart?! Hell yeah!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    The bassist of TWRP is great.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I know "We Built this City" is constantly referenced as one of the worst songs ever written, but that beat is just so damn danceable and catchy.

Also, Dan covers Glory of Love and Owner of a Lonely Heart. This album is already a bestseller.

It's not the most clever or artistic song, but We Built This City is such a fun and catchy song. It's a great opener for the new album.

This discussion has been closed.