As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everyone is playing [Hollow Knight]

191011121315»

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I kinda hope Silksong is a bit more upbeat.
    Hollow Knight is about an eldritch entity sealed away by another, somewhat less malevolent eldritch entity. It required the deaths of countless children, and raising the one survivor as coldly as possible. And it still failed because its father showed it the slightest bit of warmth. Even in the best endings, the kingdom is effectively dead, and it’s unknown if the infected even recover so they can rebuild.

It’s...a bit bleak.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    It's hardly a Dark Souls-alike if it isn't constantly crushing your spirit with mounting existential dread, I guess

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Hollow Knight is about an eldritch entity sealed away by another, somewhat less malevolent eldritch entity. It required the deaths of countless children, and raising the one survivor as coldly as possible. And it still failed because its father showed it the slightest bit of warmth. Even in the best endings, the kingdom is effectively dead, and it’s unknown if the infected even recover so they can rebuild.

It’s...a bit bleak.

it's one of those games where, in the long run, almost everybody you meet is the worse off for you having interacted with them

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Maybe it’s because the game is about bugs, but I feel there is vastly more chance of the world recovering than Dark Souls.

The mantises will endure, the bees need a new Queen but might survive, the spiders are okay, and the rest might muddle along given enough time.

Really only the moths and snails are gone for good.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

It’s...a bit bleak.

it's one of those games where, in the long run, almost everybody you meet is the worse off for you having interacted with them

I dunno if I’d say that.
    Elder bug gets to see a bit of activity spring back into the old town. Even gets to rethinking his pessimistic view if you bring him the flower.

Cornifer does what he loves, with your help, and returns home safely to be with Iselda.

Zote doesn’t change one bit, but you keep him from getting killed.

Quirrel was able to fulfil his duty with your help. His goal was a somber one, and it cost him his memory some time ago, but he actually finds nothing but beauty in that.

I feel like it’s just Cloth who comes to tragedy because of you. It’s hard to tell with Hornet; she lost her mother, but you saved the wider world in the process. It’s a conflicting thing that I’m sure she needs to work through.

It’s not like Dark Souls, where some characters turn to madness and death literally just becaus you bought too much from their shop, or told them how you found a neat weapon.

Enlong on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The Knight also technically saves Sly and Bretta from succumbing to the infection, and can save a few other NPCs in other ways.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

It’s...a bit bleak.

I dunno if I’d say that.
    Elder bug gets to see a bit of activity spring back into the old town. Even gets to rethinking his pessimistic view if you bring him the flower.

Cornifer does what he loves, with your help, and returns home safely to be with Iselda.

Quirrel was able to fulfil his duty with your help. His goal was a somber one, and it cost him his memory some time ago, but he actually finds nothing but beauty in that.

I feel like it’s just Cloth who comes to tragedy because of you. It’s hard to tell with Hornet; she lost her mother, but you saved the wider world in the process. It’s a conflicting thing that I’m sure she needs to work through.

It’s not like Dark Souls, where some characters turn to madness and death literally just becaus you bought too much from their shop, or told them how you found a neat weapon.

i mean there's poor

zCexQ0M.png

• Options
    Not being able to do anything for Myla is a bummer but there was nothing The Knight did that actively lead to her demise
    Unless you killed her after she was fully infected, you monster

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

It’s...a bit bleak.

I dunno if I’d say that.

i mean there's poor

zCexQ0M.png

Not to be callous, but there’s nothing you did to cause that or could’ve done to stop it.

• Options
    If you don't talk to her, I think she just remains happily resisting the infection, right?
    like the trigger for her to get worse is simply talking to her and progressing her dialog

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    If you don't talk to her, I think she just remains happily resisting the infection, right?
    like the trigger for her to get worse is simply talking to her and progressing her dialog
    In my first run I missed Myla entirely until the crossroads becomes infected. first time I saw her she was trying to attack me and I didn't realize she was an Npc until my second run.

So you're in the clear! Myla is doomed from the get go! The end, no moral

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    In my first run I missed Myla entirely until the crossroads becomes infected. first time I saw her she was trying to attack me and I didn't realize she was an Npc until my second run.

So you're in the clear! Myla is doomed from the get go! The end, no moral

ah thank goodness

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    As far as Cloth goes:
    I got the feeling that she would have found a similar ending whether you got involved or not. You could argue that she'd never have worked up the nerve to take part in the Traitor Lord fight without you, but she never seemed like she was going to quit at any point.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2019
    I wonder if the king was just full of shit when he said he bestowed sapience upon bugkind, or if he was telling the truth and there’s another wyrm in Pharloom.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I wonder if the king was just full of shit when he said he bestowed sapience upon bugkind, or if he was telling the truth and there’s another wyrm in Pharloom.
    Pretty sure the King is a propaganda machine. Another one of his lore tablets claims there's nothing beyond Hallownest, just plains in every direction, which is so clearly bullshit.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    As far as Cloth goes:
    I got the feeling that she would have found a similar ending whether you got involved or not. You could argue that she'd never have worked up the nerve to take part in the Traitor Lord fight without you, but she never seemed like she was going to quit at any point.
    she actually survives if you don't follow her story, although she decides to leave Hallownest

• Options
    Neveron wrote: »
    As far as Cloth goes:
    she actually survives if you don't follow her story, although she decides to leave Hallownest
    still seeking an end, though.

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    Pretty sure the King is a propaganda machine. Another one of his lore tablets claims there's nothing beyond Hallownest, just plains in every direction, which is so clearly bullshit.
    I think it could be possible that he gave some increased sapience to some of the bugs, organized them into a more advanced civilization (compare City of Tears to Deepnest & the Hive), but in the process brought on the cause of his & his society's demise in causing the followers of the Radiance to turn their backs on it.

It could be his powers for those he granted fade beyond his borders (see Quirrel, and his memory loss), but I agree that Pale King loves his bullshit about everything else beyond Hallownest's borders.

• Options
    Finally, finally climbed to the top of my current Pantheon only to be just absolutely clobbered by Nailsage Sly, Hollow Knight's Crocodile Dundee ("You call that a nail? This is a nail!") Practiced on him in Godhome and the first 2/3s is a real fun fight, but exactly what the hell am I supposed to do when he goes into yoyo-buzzsaw mode? I kept thinking I could wait him out like with Soulmaster's temper tantrums, but apparently the last third of the fight is just spinning death?

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think baiting him into attacking and punishing it with a Nail Art afterwards is about all you can do.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    I think baiting him into attacking and punishing it with a Nail Art afterwards is about all you can do.

*Oooff*, yeah that's all you can do. Gotten pretty confident on the first part of the fight (think this is one of the few bosses I've pulled regular parries down on, although *man* is it dangerous to get in there), but still pretty wary in frenzy mode. Practiced him a few times Ascended in Godhome, so hopefully that's enough to get me through finally (after months of trying to beat down this brick wall with my skull)

• Options
    Umuu in Godmaster is such a bullshit fight. I can lose all day to Zote or Hornet, or even occasionally the God Tamer or Grimm, and *always* feel like I had a fair fight and ultimately lost because my head wasn't properly in the game. Going out to Umuu in round 8 because "RNG says no jellies for *you*" is the only time in the whole game I've ever caught myself saying "this is a really poorly designed boss battle"

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Umuu in Godmaster is such a bullshit fight. I can lose all day to Zote or Hornet, or even occasionally the God Tamer or Grimm, and *always* feel like I had a fair fight and ultimately lost because my head wasn't properly in the game. Going out to Umuu in round 8 because "RNG says no jellies for *you*" is the only time in the whole game I've ever caught myself saying "this is a really poorly designed boss battle"

They actually nerfed that fight because it was so frustrating. Still not great!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Godmaster is a waste of time

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    It's basically a fancied up boss rush mode, but I enjoy the new bosses they added to it.
    The Pure Vessel is such a cool fight. Love seeing the Hollow Knight before all that shit happened to them.

• Options
    It’s worth it for the hall of statues and the God Tuner run option, I think.

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah I unlocked godmaster and walked around a bit, just checking everything out.

And when I opened a door and a boss rush started I just turned the game off.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I just started playing this last week, and the atmosphere has sucked me right in. What a gem.