Options

PC Games - Afterparty & Quest for Conquest out today!

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    Bug testing a game with a million words sounds suicidal
    As a programmer, I am here to tell you that testing anything - even a "Hello, world!" program - is suicidal. So yes, you are absolutely correct.

My brief stint in QA has given me a very low tolerance of bugs in games that go live.

Devs absolutely know they're releasing a faulty product, there's a QA team they have made reproduce that bug multiple times with a step by step guide.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I first played Mega Man 2 in the original japanese, Rockman. It was a bootleg Famicom cartridge, but as a little kid my eyes still bulged at the price my parents paid to get me the game. So all I knew from it was the cover of a pudgy blue costumed man without a hand; I didn't even had the time to play it a bit at the game store to decide if I liked it. I was like, "he seems cool!", and they bought it for me.

So when I got home and plugged the cart in, and japanese text appeared to set the scene (which I ignored), so I pressed start to skip all that, to see the blue guy don his helmet and disappear. Followed by a screen of eight faces and a letter W at the center. Who the hell are all these guys then? Now completely lost, I thought I was supposed to find the blue guy with his friends, so I chose one at random (Wood Man!) I was presented with his visage and his signature move (a stomach beating roar?).... and then after the word READY blinked thrice in front of the forest stage the pudgy blue guy appeared. What.

It took me a long time to connect who the eight men were, and the ominous girdered wall at the end of Bubble Man's stage sure was a surprise. But not so much until I entered the closed chamber and Bubble Man came down from the ceiling and posed menacingly! I died less than ten seconds later, but my mind was blown even before then, finally understanding what Mega Man 2 was really about.

At least until Dr. Wily.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Blizzcon's two weeks away! Really curious how they'll handle that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    by announcing Diablo 4

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

Blizzcon's two weeks away! Really curious how they'll handle that

Banning Mei cosplay

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Hmmm even swapping to a brand new controller I'm still dashing almost every time I hit the cast button in Hades

Why is their feedback thing a link to their discord, just let me send you a bug report!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Like, I was understanding with the changes they made to skeleton models for the Chinese audience, (and some of them look very awesome) due to cultural
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Marv Wolfman's name was why artists started getting credited at Marvel.
    Gerry Conway, who wrote the horror-host interstitial pages between stories, wrote in one issue that the following story was told by a "wandering Wolfman." The Comics Code Authority, which did not permit the mention of werewolves or wolfmen, demanded it be removed. DC informed the Authority that "Wolfman" was the writer's last name, so the Authority insisted he be given a credit to show the "Wolfman" was a real person. Once Wolfman was given a credit, other writers demanded them as well. Shortly, credits were given to all writers and artists.[72]

it sounds like you mean started getting credited at DC

writers, artists, inkers and letterers started receiving credit at Marvel at least as early at the point where the "Marvel" brand began (Fantastic Four #1 in 1962) and possibly before. That was one of Stan Lee's innovations - he put in the credits and gave everyone goofy nicknames ("Joltin'" Joe Sinnott, etc) so fans could build what we'd now call a parasocial relationship with creators.

DC published all its comics anonymously until the late 60s/early 70s

Wow.

Yeah, it's not great.

HOWEVER

at the same time, it was done in a way different way from how most comics are done now - in a way, more like bigger enterprises like movies or video games. People at DC mostly actually put on a suit and tie and went to work in the actual offices and they sat in a big 50s-style office at rows of desks working on the books in a very assembly-line fashion. Stories were devised, not by writers, but by editors ("yeah see in this one Batman turns into a goil!") and writers just kind of filled in the gaps of plot, motivation, etc. Art was done by whoever was available to draw that page right now this instant, and artists were trained to draw a lot like each other so they could be more interchangeable.

So there are these like, comics historians who go back and try to figure this stuff out and sometimes a single 8-page story in a Superman or Batman comic might be the assembled work of like 12 different people. And of course, those people should be credited, but you can kind of see why it took them a while to push for it - if all I did on a story was fill in a couple of word balloons, or I just drew the city scape on page 3 but nothing else, I wouldn't feel that proprietary over the story.

Pretty wild that historians are having to piece together sources for something from the 20th century like historians who study the Old Testament.

rnqqlqnzl2ea.jpg

"Depiction of passages written by P-source created by M-source."

"NO NO. That is clearly a J-source derived version of Noah and we can see a distinct difference in the linework on his hands in these two panels which obviously means that it was created through joint effort of the L and V-source!"

I can't believe listening to a podcast about the Bible would allow me to get a joke.....

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Out today:

Oct 15 - Disco Elysium (RPG, Isometric, Choices Matter, Turn-Based)

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Hmmm even swapping to a brand new controller I'm still dashing almost every time I hit the cast button in Hades

Why is their feedback thing a link to their discord, just let me send you a bug report!
    Because for some reason everyone tries to use discord as a substitute for having a website/forum/external ticketing system, despite it being really bad for that purpose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Because for some reason everyone tries to use discord as a substitute for having a website/forum/external ticketing system, despite it being really bad for that purpose.

"Some reason" is of course that it's free and easy to set up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

"Some reason" is of course that it's free and easy to set up.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1145360/discussions/

the other option is to ask about it on the steam page of the epic game that you're playing

TFWuVHu.jpg

unfortunately there is a lot of other complaining going on

• Options
    Also out today:

Oct 15 - Zombieland Double Tap (Action, Gore, Violent, Twin-stick Shooter, Arcade)

Oct 15 - Rebel Inc: Escalation EA (Strategy, Simulation, War, Afghanistan)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Brolo, I don't know why you decided to grace us with this New Releases service, but I extremely appreciate it and admire you for the effort you put into it (especially the genre tags).

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Brolo, I don't know why you decided to grace us with this New Releases service, but I extremely appreciate it and admire you for the effort you put into it (especially the genre tags).

i'm trying to keep an index of interesting upcoming gaming titles for a project I'm working on, so posting excerpts here as things come out isn't too hard

the main thing is just trying to sort through Steam's stubbornly out-of-order release queue list and filter out all the hentai puzzle games:

8gPkp2J.jpg

Brolo on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

i'm trying to keep an index of interesting upcoming gaming titles for a project I'm working on, so posting excerpts here as things come out isn't too hard

the main thing is just trying to sort through Steam's stubbornly out-of-order release queue list and filter out all the hentai puzzle games:

8gPkp2J.jpg

Why is there a girl in my house?

• Options
    Anzekay wrote: »

Why is there a girl in my house?

"Our protagonist has to answer that exact question! Elena is a hard working businesswoman who just can't seem to find time for herself. She works a tiring job, and is lucky to relax in the time she has at home. After a hard day of work as usual, she returns to her apartment to find quite a surprise - there's a cat girl in her home! Alice is an excitable, slightly air-headed cat girl who's made herself right at home, thanks to Elena's auntie. The two begin to bond in their free time - could this be the answer to Elena's loneliness? Find out in this short, sweet, and lewd yuri visual novel!"

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Yeah get out lady, you're distracting me from my posting!

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I feel like they're burying the lede a bit there with that cat- prefix

Why isn't that in your title?

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Sounds like a ripoff

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    That is the first thing in my life that has made me feel old

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Zombie Army 4: Dead War – Release Date Trailer | PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5wTPFqIG7w

• Options
    edited October 2019
    fortnite is fine

its development practices not so much

but it's a perfectly ok shooty-shoot

Brolo on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I bought the subscription thing for Origin. Now I have access to loads of games I've never played before, it's so exciting! So I decided to play Mass Effect for the 50th time.

Boy does this game look like dogshit now. I still love it though. Definitely my favourite story of the 3.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Amazing how cinematic ME1 was considered back in the day.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    You can fish now?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Remember when Fortnite was a zombie horde mode kinda game?

how is that version anyway is it any good

• Options
    Is that version still pay to play?

• Options
    A game is incomplete without a fishing minigame.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

It was the most advanced full graphic alien sex simulator of its time.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

That is extremely not true

• Options
    Is that version still pay to play?

Yeah, and it gets regular updates but nowhere near as many as the BR version.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »

That is extremely not true

You really should read up on the history of the game's release before railing on me as though I was serious

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I'm assuming that there's a secret thread on this forum where you post the "filtered out" hentai puzzle games.

EDIT: The true PC gaming thread.

Delduwath on
  • Options

I'm assuming that there's a secret thread on this forum where you post the "filtered out" hentai puzzle games.

EDIT: The true PC gaming thread.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/226160/hentai-girl-puzzle-18#latest

This discussion has been closed.