As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Good to hear The Faceless are holding it together. I think they get a lot more flak than they deserve online for some reason. Finally caught them live myself about a year ago here in Manchester, and aside from some technical difficulties and one spectacularly missed sustain, they were great. I still hold their two middle albums up as standards for the genre, even if the latest was a bit limp.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I forgot to mention one of the most hilarious moments of the Amon Amarth show the other night: near the end of the show, about 20 people in the audience sat on the floor together to simulate rowing a goddamn boat. Too bad the band didn't seem to notice.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Good to hear The Faceless are holding it together. I think they get a lot more flak than they deserve online for some reason. Finally caught them live myself about a year ago here in Manchester, and aside from some technical difficulties and one spectacularly missed sustain, they were great. I still hold their two middle albums up as standards for the genre, even if the latest was a bit limp.

I think they were getting so much flack because the lead singer/song writer was an addict and kept relapsing and showing up to shows drunk/high, and did some other crappy things like steal fan/bandmate's money to buy drugs. Apparently this ended with the entire rest of the band quitting all at the same time.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

I think they were getting so much flack because the lead singer/song writer was an addict and kept relapsing and showing up to shows drunk/high, and did some other crappy things like steal fan/bandmate's money to buy drugs. Apparently this ended with the entire rest of the band quitting all at the same time.

Tbh I went cause I was expecting a total cluster fuck show where I could rubberneck a train wreck due to all of what you mentioned but it ended up being a solid concert.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    I forgot to mention one of the most hilarious moments of the Amon Amarth show the other night: near the end of the show, about 20 people in the audience sat on the floor together to simulate rowing a goddamn boat. Too bad the band didn't seem to notice.

So my friend is quite the Amon Amarth fan, and when we saw them at download she was so fucking hyped for the row pit. I think it's a pretty regular occurrence at their gigs at this point >_<

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I think any gimmick pit is pretty cringey. I prefer my pits to be circular and lined with poisoned spikes.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

So my friend is quite the Amon Amarth fan, and when we saw them at download she was so fucking hyped for the row pit. I think it's a pretty regular occurrence at their gigs at this point >_<

I'm just a casual listener of the band. I had no idea it was a regular thing! Well, it's easier for me to deal with than a proper mosh pit, at least.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

They happen at Alestorm shows here in Seattle too and they're just pure drunken fun. Though, absurd drunken fun kinda sums up an Alestorm show in general. It's easily the most outright silly and fun show you can ever go to and the audience is just the absolute fucking best.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    The new Vorna has been scratching the melodic black metal itch for me lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDZ4odFM1FY

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Canadian NecromonicoN, upping their ante in the sympho-death department. Fans of Septicflesh, Carach Angren, Shadow of Intent, Fleshgod Apocalypse, you want your death metal with a shot of Wagner? Have at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD2FjaqhgfI

I also pre-ordered the new Angel Witch album after listening through it, Kevin's vocals aren't the greatest but the riffs are mighty and it's their strongest written material I think outside the legendary s/t debut.

autothrall on
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Okay, I think In Cauda Venenum has nearly become my favorite since Blackwater Park. There’s so much care put into everything.

• Options
    So necrobutcher now claims he was about to kill euronymous himself but varg beat him to it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=jJgLm-T2jZ0

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The new 1349 album is up.

https://youtu.be/bxnd7uS6_CQ

• Options
    It's definitely riffier than the last few 1349 albums, I'm not super impressed with it mainly because I've gotten exhausted with a lot of hyperblasting black metal, but it's solid indeed.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Lads

I haven’t listened to the intersection of post rock / post hc / black metal in a while

Celeste, Rorcal, Plebeian Grandstand, etc

Any reccs? Looking for more the emotional churning side than too limpid and weepy

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Dipping back into some favourite Bathory albums. Some of the Viking metal ones, specifically.

Objectively speaking, Quorthon had some definite deficiencies as a vocalist, but I know he would likely have been the first to admit it (since IIRC he was looking for another singer early on). But one thing he nailed was the feel - there's, for want of a better word, an integrity to his performances. And his compositional skills are very often off the goddamn scale.

I honestly don't know if I could ever get anyone else into more than a handful of songs off these records, but no matter, they still kick ass.

I wish we could have heard Nordland III and IV.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular

Most of this post was directly ripped off from @TerribleMisathrope who ripped it off from @LoveIsUnity who ripped it off from @Morgenstern.

I ripped it off from someone before me, but I honestly forget who it was.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    It's definitely riffier than the last few 1349 albums, I'm not super impressed with it mainly because I've gotten exhausted with a lot of hyperblasting black metal, but it's solid indeed.

Too bad they continued with the use of bullshit interludes. This album really doesn’t do anything for me.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
  • Options
    desc wrote: »
    Lads

I haven’t listened to the intersection of post rock / post hc / black metal in a while

Celeste, Rorcal, Plebeian Grandstand, etc

Any reccs? Looking for more the emotional churning side than too limpid and weepy

Cult of Luna and Cranial both had recent releases. Both are post-metal, not really falling into black metal, but maybe into HC.

Emma Ruth Rundle (touring with Cult of Luna) is really damn cool, she's more post-rock/post-folk.

Tides from Nebula had a new album about a month ago. Russian Circles had an album out earlier this year too. Both of these last two are largely instrumental.

Respire had a great album I want to say late last year. They're kind of a mix of post-hc and post-metal.

Caspian's usually a good time in the post-rock realm but they haven't released anything in a bit I think.

Alcest has an album out on Friday. I think they're technically considered black metal-shoegaze, but the argument could be made that that's just another term for post-black metal.

Ranges had an album out a few weeks ago. They're post-hardcore but without any vocals, so that might hit you where you want.

PSOTY released an album earlier this year too called Sunless. They're really cool. They kind of have that spacey feel of late era ISIS, with a good mix of screamed and clean vocals.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    I'll add the new Astronoid to that, the self-titled, the band that used to be Vattnet Viskar and then they dropped the Viskar.

I was lukewarm at first, but it's surprisingly good upon further listens. However it lies on the happier side of that scale, I don't know about 'churning'. But it's extremely infectious, like a midway point between groups like Mew and Passion Pit and post-black metal.

We talked about Vukari earlier but you probably already saw that, as well as the new Great Old Ones album.

autothrall on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I went ahead and spun DEP's Miss Machine again this weekend for the hell of it, hadn't heard it in quite a while, and now "Unretrofied" has been an earworm for at least 2 days.

• Options
    If you're itching for some more of that math-core sound, The Number Twelve Looks Like You released an album last month that has some very DEP sounding vibes.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If you're itching for some more of that math-core sound, The Number Twelve Looks Like You released an album last month that has some very DEP sounding vibes.

I've been sleeping on that one.

Probably pick it up after work

• Options
    The last few months/weeks have just been stacked with good releases. I feel like I'm never going to catch up.

• Options
    I'm still sad about DEP :(

• Options
    I road tripped to their last show at Terminal 5 in NYC. Drove 10 hours to get there the day of the show. Probably one of the best concerts and overall experiences I'd even been to.

• Options
    The last few months/weeks have just been stacked with good releases. I feel like I'm never going to catch up.

Agreed.

Hell I've already got my RYM list for 2019 full with 100 worthy releases and I can almost guarantee at least a dozen of those will be supplanted by New Year's Day.

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular

Agreed.

Hell I've already got my RYM list for 2019 full with 100 worthy releases and I can almost guarantee at least a dozen of those will be supplanted by New Year's Day.

Can't wait! I'm woefully behind on 2019 new releases.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Opeth and Insomnium have been sucking most of my time recently. They're both p great releases, for their respective genres.

• Options
    It’s been a weird year with a lot more quality releases than I remember 2018 or 2017 having.

New Teitanblood just bumped Haunter out of my top ten list for 2019.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Opeth and Insomnium have been sucking most of my time recently. They're both p great releases, for their respective genres.

Same, also been playing Lacuna Coil's Black Anima (this and their previous album Delirium are my favorite 1-2 punch from them since Comalies and Karmacode way back in 2002 and 2003) quite a bit at work when I'm paired up with gal that's a huge Cristina Scabbia mark.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    i think i'm done buying music for 2019

i picked up ~80 albums this year, mostly on vinyl

unless something insane drops

• Options
    The new Sarcasm album kicks some butt, it's as if you were still smack dab in the middle of the 90s Swedish melodic death metal revolution and this band had never disappeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhU2XQX020

If you were to put this on with no reference to who it was, I would swear it’s from 1995 or 1996. Jesus.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    The new Sarcasm album kicks some butt, it's as if you were still smack dab in the middle of the 90s Swedish melodic death metal revolution and this band had never disappeared.

If you were to put this on with no reference to who it was, I would swear it’s from 1995 or 1996. Jesus.

As a fan of that time period, it was pretty awesome listening to this.

• Options
    Xantomas wrote: »

As a fan of that time period, it was pretty awesome listening to this.

Yea, definitely a nice throwback. The new Rimfrost kind of gave me that vibe too, but it has way cleaner production.

• Options
    Uneven Structure has a new album out. I really liked these guys during the Februus era, where they were kind of the proggiest of the djent bands when it came out in 2011.

The new album still has some polyrhythms, but it feels more aligned to Meshuggah polyrhythms vs the Periphery style.

They've also moved generally away from that, and more towards prog and even some post.

I think now I might consider them to be progressive post-metalcore or something like that?

Anyways, like with their last album, I like how the song and album sounds but doubt I'll come back to the album to often:

https://youtu.be/YOnhAmfZUTI

This discussion has been closed.