Options

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Jai Courtney was great by all accounts in Suicide Squad.

I never imagined Captain Boomerang as a bogan but at least they got an Aussie to do it right.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Compare to the 800 series' attempt at a smile.

EDIT: Whereas the 1000, per Ninja Snarl P just below, was still fairly unexpressive but could at least manage the "nice bike" line, and that scolding finger wag at Sarah.

T1 has a scene that shows the programming popup wth conversation repsonse options; fuck you asshole, etc.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Saw Maleficent 2 last night. It was pretty dumb and pointless.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

I never imagined Captain Boomerang as a bogan but at least they got an Aussie to do it right.

He was a terrible bogan, he didn't use the c-word once! A legit portrayal should've been at least 50% of his dialogue by volume.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    T3 is still the best of the post-T2 films, it had its moments.
    Was also evocative of its decade, like 1 & 2.
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Margot Robbie was great because she's Margot Robbie. Nothing else in that movie was good enough to counter the massive suck of everything around it.

I guess he was probably fine?

Viola Davis as Waller and Will Smith as Deadshot were both inspired casting. I also enjoyed Batfleck and Waller's interaction in the post-credits, but we'll never see *that* chemistry again.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Terminator Salvation remains the most disappointing of the bunch only because minus Sam Worthington it has a really decent cast shackled to a script written five minutes before McG shot it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Margot Robbie was great because she's Margot Robbie. Nothing else in that movie was good enough to counter the massive suck of everything around it.

Viola Davis as Waller and Will Smith as Deadshot were both inspired casting. I also enjoyed Batfleck and Waller's interaction in the post-credits, but we'll never see *that* chemistry again.

It's not like CCH Pounder isn't still around to play a live action Waller

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I think the part of the movie I've seen (never watched the whole thing) that I enjoyed the most was everything after they finally beat the bad guys and they're making demands to Waller about what they should get for saving the world, and the immediate results once they're back in custody. I remember a couple of DCAU episodes ending in the same way when a villain helps the heroes in some way.

Harley, angry: "Can we at least get a 'thank you'!?"

Waller: "...Thank you."

Harley, immediately content: "Your Welcome!"

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    T3 was just T2's plot thinly skinned over more explosions. Which was the point, they wanted to make money, you make money by rehashing things that already worked. At least Genisys got weird with it.

Genisys getting weird with it was the least of its problems - I think its execution was what let it down. I liked a lot of its ideas and could see how a better movie was trying to break out of it.

Honestly I think it would have been a lot better simply if Jai Courtney and Jason Clarke weren't so horribly miscast in it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen something Jai Courtney wasn't miscast in, honestly.
    tenor.gif?itemid=14727345

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

It's not like CCH Pounder isn't still around to play a live action Waller

She's back for the sequel, thank God.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i'm a few pages let but its a shame no one linked the Homer buying the cursed doll scene so here you go

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    One complaint: at the end, when the Terminator is all smashed up and bloodied, he says “I need a vacation.” I thought maybe I missed something where somebody else said that phrase and the Terminator learned it from them. But then I looked it up and it turns out it was an ad-libbed reference to fucking KINDERGARTEN COP. Come on fellas, it makes no sense for the robot to make up his own jokes. Show some discipline.
    http://outlawvern.com/2007/07/19/terminator-trilogy/

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Maybe the Terminator just figured that out himself since he was able to learn (explicitly in the DC) and, in John's famous words, "not be such a dork all the time".

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, Arnold did that in his movies all the fucking time

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Maybe the Terminator just figured that out himself since he was able to learn (explicitly in the DC) and, in John's famous words, "not be such a dork all the time".

I think the movies neatly handwave this stuff by saying the Terminator has detailed files on humans. One assumes that includes a lame joke book or two. They are infiltration units after all.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019

I think the movies neatly handwave this stuff by saying the Terminator has detailed files on humans. One assumes that includes a lame joke book or two. They are infiltration units after all.

Could a T-800 wear mom jeans ironically?

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Could a T-800 wear mom jeans ironically?

It has detailed files.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    T-800 is all chilling in a sewer tunnel, pretending to be a resistance fighter. One of the real resistance guys says, "Man, I need a vaction." T-800 looks at him, says, "No you do not. You will not accrue significant paid time off until Q3 of ne--" then all the resistance guys light him up with plasma rifles.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    T-800 is all chilling in a sewer tunnel, pretending to be a resistance fighter. One of the real resistance guys says, "Man, I need a vaction." T-800 looks at him, says, "No you do not. You will not accrue significant paid time off until Q3 of ne--" then all the resistance guys light him up with plasma rifles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yzhumtZ4w

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    The "Of course it is" is so fucking perfect.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

For the theatrical release, it's out of place. For the Director's Cut with the absolutely vital restored scene of the T800 taking a minute to explain his learning mode is disabled by default (because even Skynet can't control the machines if they become sentient enough) and then they turn on the learning mode; all the "humanizing" stuff after that is expressly to show he's adapting.

With that scene in place, I don't think it's at all weird for the T800 to make that lame joke. He's bonding with John and expressing that he'll live but he's also trashed pretty badly. It's just an extension of the difference between the original T800 hotwiring a car by ripping apart the steering column and the T2 version doing the "human" thing of checking the sun visor for keys.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That sunvisor thing though, like seriously who does that? Was that a thing in california? I have never heard of people keeping spare keys in their sun visor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    That sunvisor thing though, like seriously who does that? Was that a thing in california? I have never heard of people keeping spare keys in their sun visor.

It's like leaving your front door unlocked, some people just have or had that sense of security.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    That must've been an American thing from a certain era, you know. I've never known anyone put their car keys up on the sun visor in real life.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

I've never once encountered it in real life and I'm not sure how you'd even make it happen - I've never seen a sunvisor that could reasonably hold an entire keyring in place without falling open, the keys falling out, or there being obviously a keyring there. But I think it's one of those movie things that's been used in film so many times that it's now just a thing in the odd, parallel reality where you can shoot a lock of a door or light a fire with a pistol in which all movies and TV shows take place.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

I've never once encountered it in real life and I'm not sure how you'd even make it happen - I've never seen a sunvisor that could reasonably hold an entire keyring in place without falling open, the keys falling out, or there being obviously a keyring there. But I think it's one of those movie things that's been used in film so many times that it's now just a thing in the odd, parallel reality where you can shoot a lock of a door or light a fire with a pistol in which all movies and TV shows take place.

Or front kicking/ shoulder ramming a door square in it's center that doesn't end with either an ED visit or putting your leg right through it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    When I lived down in Florida, it was entirely common to put your keys up on top of your tires if the wheelwell covered them or tuck them up in a bumper when you went to the beach. Who is going to go out to the beach looking for cars to steal?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    When I lived down in Florida, it was entirely common to put your keys up on top of your tires if the wheelwell covered them or tuck them up in a bumper when you went to the beach. Who is going to go out to the beach looking for cars to steal?

Someone smart if that became practice enough? Like good lord.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

https://www.you tube.com/watch?v=U8yzhumtZ4w

Going back to this, just being curious, was this an internet only skit? Something about a black man shooting an overly racist white man in the head, even on Comedy Central, seems like it would cause some kind of stir-up or controversy. Even if the dark comedy on this is really choice.

• Options

Well, first you'd have to have a car to get out to the beach, which means either having an accomplice or leaving your car at the beach. Plus, you're going out to he beach to steal the beach car of a bunch of surfers and beach bums. Congrats, you just swiped a fifteen-year-old pickup truck half-eaten by salt spray and with sand in every nook and cranny.

I lived there for years and never heard of anybody ever having a car stolen because they left their keys in some spot like that.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Well, first you'd have to have a car to get out to the beach, which means either having an accomplice or leaving your car at the beach. Plus, you're going out to he beach to steal the beach car of a bunch of surfers and beach bums. Congrats, you just swiped a fifteen-year-old pickup truck half-eaten by salt spray and with sand in every nook and cranny.

I lived there for years and never heard of anybody ever having a car stolen because they left their keys in some spot like that.

They were too embarrassed to tell anyone!

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Going back to this, just being curious, was this an internet only skit? Something about a black man shooting an overly racist white man in the head, even on Comedy Central, seems like it would cause some kind of stir-up or controversy. Even if the dark comedy on this is really choice.

This isn't even that far for Key and Peele. I doubt there was any real uproar about the skit.

I miss that show.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The spoilers coming out about Terminator 6 are just lol, what a waste fam. Just basically a rehash watered down paste of the first two films.
    If John Connor dies and is just replaced by new girl as resistance savior, what makes her any more special since it seems there's always going to be another one to take the role, therefore it doesn't really matter who Skynet/Legion sends back and protecting them? Time Travel I don't careadoxes!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

This isn't even that far for Key and Peele. I doubt there was any real uproar about the skit.

I miss that show.

Chapelle Show did it with their Time Bandits parody like a decade before

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular

I have to wonder why not just leave them in the ignition then?

I mean, i ABSOLUTELY know what your saying having grown up on the Gulf Coast of TX, but -for some reason- when i see it typed out i just wonder why everyone doesnt just leave them in the ignition.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The spoilers coming out about Terminator 6 are just lol, what a waste fam. Just basically a rehash watered down paste of the first two films.
    If John Connor dies and is just replaced by new girl as resistance savior, what makes her any more special since it seems there's always going to be another one to take the role, therefore it doesn't really matter who Skynet/Legion sends back and protecting them? Time Travel I don't careadoxes!

New Terminator
    You're not exactly pulling from 7 billion folks anymore, sooner or later the job doesn't get done.

Also my guess is they wanted a character that they could reuse in the future without having to recast because Edward Furlong is a train wreck.

The only thing I really liked about Terminator 3 was that the machines had a less asinine agenda and went after Connors network and jump started Judgement Day as well.

Although it would have been a hell of a gut punch that if you found out about John's lieutenants getting iced at the end as he's calling out to them over the radio and as he's met with silence you get a lone voice saying "all targets have been eliminated".

Because sending back just one murder robot is dumb.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I live in Florida and growing up we did that. I still rarely lock my front door when I leave the house. But then again this house is on a pretty secluded cauldasac.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »

I have to wonder why not just leave them in the ignition then?

I mean, i ABSOLUTELY know what your saying having grown up on the Gulf Coast of TX, but -for some reason- when i see it typed out i just wonder why everyone doesnt just leave them in the ignition.

Because if they were in the ignition they would be visible to anyone passing by.

It is a method of security, even if it isn't especially well thought out or secure, and any layer of obfuscation prevents some theft.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

I miss that show.

Chapelle Show did it with their Time Bandits parody like a decade before

A scene that they axed from that skit until his lost episodes DVDs came out I'm pretty sure.

Or they axed the whole thing till then, one or the other.

And the guy they shot was a slave owner, which is so much easier to justify

This discussion has been closed.