Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    First look at Far Sector

That art is gorgeous and the story (from an interview with the writer) sounds like it's gonna be great.

I've loved Campbell's art since his webcomic The Immortal Nadia Greene (ironic RIP), and I had one friend who nearly cried when the first preview pages for Naomi came out because it was one of the first times she'd seen hair like hers drawn that well in a comic book.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    That is a stylin' GL "uniform".

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Yeah I am digging the art and the design, and even without dialogue, you get a feel for the character's style and I like that.

So thats what, Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Simon, Jessica, I guess technically Keli (though shes not like an Oa granted Green Lantern), and now Sojourner. I think Earth has enough Green Lanterns

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Is Far Sector basically Star Trek Voyager but with a Green Lantern? Because that sounds like a rad idea.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah I am digging the art and the design, and even without dialogue, you get a feel for the character's style and I like that.

So thats what, Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, Simon, Jessica, I guess technically Keli (though shes not like an Oa granted Green Lantern), and now Sojourner. I think Earth has enough Green Lanterns
    It isn't set on Earth. Far Sector is a standalone book disconnected from the main DCU, set on an alien world.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It isn't set on Earth. Far Sector is a standalone book disconnected from the main DCU, set on an alien world.

Oh thats cool! Still I bet some of the other races in the GL Corps are like "Wow yeah look at all the fancy humans".

I get what the other races in Mass Effect were worried about having the first human Specter

• Options
    Tynion and Daniels' Batman is off to a great start judging from the January issue solicits:
    sfcllaslchh9.jpg

In the wake of City of Bane, Batman has a "new plan" for Gotham, but before he can get started he is interrupted by the arrival of some of the world's deadliest assassins. Their target, who Batman now has to keep alive?

The Riddler.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh ok that's not bad

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    DC January solicits are out

The biggest news is confirmation that Superman is revealing his secret identity to the world, with an extra sized one shot from Bendis, Fraction, Rucka, Houser, Maguire, Leiber and more to show how the DCU reacts to the reveal.
    pjbhfi42d38x.jpg

Other highlights:
    The Question miniseries where Vic Sage drifts across time has the debut of Cowboy Question. Yee haw.

Damian Wayne goes into the future with Jon and joins the LoSH (maybe temporarily?)

The Gotham City Monsters are facing off against their multiversal counterparts...who look a lot like the classic Universal Monsters.

And Wonder Woman #750, a similar format to the Detective/Action #1000 specials bringing back talent from across Diana's history.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    That story sure would have more of an impact if that hadn't been the last thing that happened to New 52 Superman before they killed him...

• Options
    edited October 2019
    That story sure would have more of an impact if that hadn't been the last thing that happened to New 52 Superman before they killed him...
    Eh, New 52 Superman wasn't really Superman in the same way for it to have any major impact (although Greg Pak did good work with it during his short run)

He and Lois had known each other for a few years, the Justice League had been around for like 5 years and was still widely distrusted, etc.

This is classic Superman who the world knows and loves, is married to Lois, is part of the League which are an international fixture, etc.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Scott Snyder is leaving Justice League with #39

This is...pretty surprising. Much like King's Batman, when Snyder was announced on Justice League he said that they had a 50 issue plan laid out, with Tynion offering support so they could maintain their twice a month schedule.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sorry for the triple post but there seem to be a lot of weird editorial inconsistencies going in the January solicits

When King was announced as leaving Batman early and Batman/Catwoman was revealed, it was told to be coming out in January with Batman going back to a monthly schedule at the same time after 3 years of double shipping.

Bat/Cat isn't in the January solicits and Batman is shipping twice that month.

Then there is the Snyder leaving JL 11 issues ahead of schedule I already mentioned (which is on top of Tynion taking an increasingly large role on that book. He was originally said to be doing Legion of Doom one-offs between arcs but is credited as either sole or co-writer on 18 issues of the currently 35 issue run) I already mentioned.

Finally, the Birds of Prey relaunch that was scheduled for this fall, then delayed till February 2020 for revamping to a Black Label title has been changed once more and is now a 96-page one-shot?

It is a whole lot of weird shit going in in a real short time frame. And thats not touching the longer standing issues like Doomsday Clock.

The only corner of the DCU that seems like it is pretty coherently run and well planned right now is the Superman books and I wouldn't be shocked if that is because Bendis has thrown his weight around and gotten clearance to run that ship essentially on his own terms.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

The biggest news is confirmation that Superman is revealing his secret identity to the world, with an extra sized one shot from Bendis, Fraction, Rucka, Houser, Maguire, Leiber and more to show how the DCU reacts to the reveal.
    pjbhfi42d38x.jpg

I wonder who he is.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

pjbhfi42d38x.jpg

First thought that came up when reading this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjIPKJCBhi0

Second: I know Jon's in the future but they really couldn't fit him in the cover right next to Lois?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Tim's outfit is still... more beige than brown.

• Options
    Do Perry and Jimmy know? I like to think that Clark takes off his suit and their like "Why is Clark wearing a Superman outfit?" then he flies up and they go "Woah! Clark can fly!" then he takes off his glasses and their like "Superman! Have you seen our buddy Clark Kent?"

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Jimmy doesn't know and is fine with it (Superman told him it's for his protection; he trusts Jimmy completely)

Perry doesn't know and I imagine he will not be happy to find out that Lois was often interviewing her husband or Clark was just "interviewing" himself

• Options
    Jimmy doesn't know and is fine with it (Superman told him it's for his protection; he trusts Jimmy completely)

Perry doesn't know and I imagine he will not be happy to find out that Lois was often interviewing her husband or Clark was just "interviewing" himself
    Yeah Bendis did an interview with the NYT that didn't reveal a ton but said that some of Clark's closest friends will be pretty livid and I imagine Perry is at the top of the list.

The two biggest things from the interview are that Bendis intends for this to last as long as he is at DC, comparing it to his outing of Daredevil's identity, which lasted 15 years before it was undone. The other is that Clark is making the decision in order to "be his truest self" and try to inspire others to do the same and not hide who they are, which ends up making a supervillain have a change of heart and swap sides to join the heroes.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

Yeah Bendis did an interview with the NYT that didn't reveal a ton but said that some of Clark's closest friends will be pretty livid and I imagine Perry is at the top of the list.

Yeah, he was pretty upset the last time this happened.

jliCHUt.jpg

And for those that don't know, yeah, that's Jim Gordon. That's how he looked when he was running around as the GCPD's Batman while the real one had Bat-amnesia.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i miss that stupid ro-batman

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

It was probably one of the more fun additions to the New 52 era.

mPPTJ8Y.jpg

I mean, it had police-lights on the front and back. Jim's Batsuit was pretty nice too despite being capeless for obvious reasons.

• Options
    Surprised you like the Cop Batman

Well I guess he is a Robocop Batman whicy I suppose has special exemptions

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Surprised you like the Cop Batman

Well I guess he is a Robocop Batman whicy I suppose has special exemptions

oh no i hate that it was also a cop

but that stupid design woulda been dope to keep seeing

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I think Robocop is the one exception I'll make to my pretty firm ACAB stance

because sure, he's the Law, but he's always taking down the evil corps and corrupt officers, and supporting/protecting the disenfranchised at the price of his own safety. He gets like, annihilated a couple of times.

even as a robot, he's more Human than basically any other cop. Plus have you seen his siiiiick holster maneuver?

• Options

It sounds like Snyder is stepping away from JL to end the story with another big crossover event instead

Which is fine, I guess

But I liked that Justice League was its own thing and they seemed to be comitting to telling its giant story in the book itself, having it close with an event is a bit disappointing

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    No more Barbatos, Dark Universe, Batman who Laughs please, give it a few years to settle.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Mine is Lt. Columbo.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Mine is Lt. Columbo.

i think you know my answer....

https://youtu.be/gLm5Sn1cMyQ

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I seem to recall awhile back someone posted a scan from an issue where Batman and Superman were introducing Lois and Catwoman to one another, Bat/Cat were like breaking into the building and Supes/Lois were coming in the front door. It seemed really touching but I have no idea what issue of a comic book that was in

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    That was earlier in Tom King's current Batman run. I don't have the issue number on hand at the moment. It's definitely one of the high points of the series

• Options
    I started reading the Tom King batman run that started in 2016 with a #1 issue, but I still feel like I missed something...
    When did Clayface become a good guy?

• Options
    I started reading the Tom King batman run that started in 2016 with a #1 issue, but I still feel like I missed something...
    When did Clayface become a good guy?
    That happened over in Detective Comics when Batman had Batwoman put together a team of local heroes. Clayface was invited in to help him become not so bad.

• Options
    Woah wait uhh another question about something I must have missed....
    Catwomam in Arkham for 237 counts of murder...I uh...I thought she was a thief. Maybe killed some people here and there in a fight...but 237!

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Woah wait uhh another question about something I must have missed....
    Catwomam in Arkham for 237 counts of murder...I uh...I thought she was a thief. Maybe killed some people here and there in a fight...but 237!

It gets explained

• Options
    BC is reporting that they have received word of two more 5G replacements for major heroes in 2020
    Green Lantern isn't nailed down but with the overwhelming positive buzz that Far Sector is generating editorial is leaning to having Jo, the lead, take over as the main DCU GL

And Flash will be...Owen Mercer, Captain Boomerang's son who has super speed.

I actually really like that dude and hate what Johns did with him in his last appearances so I would be super down

This is far enough off and DC editorial is in such flux lately that I wouldn't take these as gospel but BC has had a lengthy run of accurate DC leaks for years now and its fun to think about

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Speaking of, what is my boy (my Flash) Wally West up to these days post Sanctuary?

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    He's in a Scott Lobdell and Brett Booth miniseries touring the multiverse

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I really enjoy legacy characters as a gateway to getting into a new area of comics. But at the same time I'm starting to feel a bit like Charlie Brown trying to the kick the ball when it comes to them having any kind of long term support. I guess that's a bit too harsh, sometimes they do, Charlie never gets the ball. Like Miles, Ms Marvel, the Jane Foster run. Those all paid off for me. But so many attempts never make it very far.
    (I'm definitely on board for Far Sector because at the very least it'll likely be a solid standalone limited.)

akajaybay on