As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If you're in the Northeast, we're getting more wind and rain the next 24h so wait until more of them blow down.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    200 IQ move. Set up a bunch of fans to blow the leaves away before they even land.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The trick is to actually put the leaves into something so they don't just get blown back.

• Options
    300 IQ move: Cover the trees with nets so you can capture the leaves before they fall. Just pull the nets down once all the leaves have fallen off.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    300 IQ move: Cover the trees with nets so you can capture the leaves before they fall. Just pull the nets down once all the leaves have fallen off.

Or just be lazy and cover your lawn and porch with nets on poles.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Or like pay someone to do it

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    just give up

embrace the leafiness

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Young man
    There are leaves all around
    I said, young man
    Eat a leaf off the ground
    I said young man
    Won’t they make a cool sound?
    When you stuff! them! in! your! leaf hole...
    It’s fun to chew on the
    Leaves On The Ground!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The trick is to actually put the leaves into something so they don't just get blown back.

Like your neighbor's lawn!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Finally tackled the electrical panel.

Old panel, forgot to take a picture of it before it came out. Probably 1950s-ish Cutler-Hammer. There were several double-taps. It's been a long time since they made the style of breakers that go in that panel, so even though there are spaces in the panel, I couldn't put in more.

PxusYew.jpg

Someone kill me

Ozb2w2F.jpg

New panel installed

hqPpjmM.jpg

Thankfully whoever originally wired this house put a disconnect between the pole and the panel, so I didn't have to get the power company to kill power at the pole. Whoever built the little room around the panel can burn in hell though. The doorway is 18 inches wide, the room is 20 inches deep, and there's that great drain pipe right there too.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I am not remotely brave enough to try swapping out my own breaker panel. Needs to be done though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Once the power's off, it's honestly not that difficult, just tedious. The hardest part for me was that the old panel was a bottom entry, bottom connection for the 3 main lines and the new panel is top entry, top connection, so I had to come up with that double elbow thing you can sort of see between the boxes, then pull 3 new very thick copper cables through those bends. Besides that it's just a matter of buying the same amperage breakers, and labeling each wire when you remove it from the old so you know what goes to 15 amp, 20 amp etc, what's 240 volts, then just reversing the process with the new panel.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Then the fun act of finally figuring out which breaker handles that light in the laundry room.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Once the power's off, it's honestly not that difficult, just tedious. The hardest part for me was that the old panel was a bottom entry, bottom connection for the 3 main lines and the new panel is top entry, top connection, so I had to come up with that double elbow thing you can sort of see between the boxes, then pull 3 new very thick copper cables through those bends. Besides that it's just a matter of buying the same amperage breakers, and labeling each wire when you remove it from the old so you know what goes to 15 amp, 20 amp etc, what's 240 volts, then just reversing the process with the new panel.

Is this a passage from the Necronomicon?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh America, land of laws where you can actually get clear guidance and are allowed to work on your own house. Australia's rules for working on your own property can best be summarized "please pay your local guild member".

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh America, land of laws where you can actually get clear guidance and are allowed to work on your own house. Australia's rules for working on your own property can best be summarized "please pay your local guild member".

Meh it's not that difficult. Anything under the scope of a licensed tradesman (water, electrical, gas, plumbing) that you do yourself, you have to get inspected and signed off by a licensed tradesman before your insurance company will accept it and continue to insure your house.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Meh it's not that difficult. Anything under the scope of a licensed tradesman (water, electrical, gas, plumbing) that you do yourself, you have to get inspected and signed off by a licensed tradesman before your insurance company will accept it and continue to insure your house.

Which of you've seen some of the US DIY work in this thread and elsewhere sounds downright reasonable :P

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Honestly, replacing an electric service panel is where I would call in the pros, so kudos on the job well done.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Honestly, replacing an electric service panel is where I would call in the pros, so kudos on the job well done.

Well I mean matt did it is so technically it was done by a professional :P

• Options
    Leaf update: aerial view

wgtzkt29ha0k.jpeg

Just 1 day later than the previous pic

That thicc oak has been alive since before Abe Lincoln split any rails, but I might need to get it cut down cause it’s killing me

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Is there some danger to just... leaving it? Hell, with that even a cover, I kinda think it looks good.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Is there some danger to just... leaving it? Hell, with that even a cover, I kinda think it looks good.

As an Australian that looks terrifying...

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

It'll be a wet shitty mess to walk through from now until they're eventually cleared.

Will probably kill any grass underneath eventually as well

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I left it a few years ago

As @RedTide says it kills the lawn

Still trying to recover back there

Edit: I’ve paid a dude the past 2 falls to clear it, but:
    •Instead of hauling them away, he blows the leaves past the fence, which chokes out growth, leading to faster erosion of the ravine bank
    •He chops up all my native plants which naturally look like weeds
    •It costs $3000

My wife OK’d me buying a niiiiice leaf blower so I just need a dry weekend to get my ass out there

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Three fucking grand?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    RedTide wrote: »
    Three fucking grand?

Yeah that photo is like 1/10th of my yard...

This is both the reason my wife and I wanted this house 7 years ago and the reason we want to move away to a place with no yard now

Edit: my wife informs me I’m being an idiot again and it was $1000 for leaves and $2000 for mulch in the spring (same guy)

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Everybody wants a big yard - up until they have to maintain one.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    My HOA has a crew that takes care of the yards for all the townhomes. I do like not having to cut the grass.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Paying a crew to take care of my lawn was one of the easiest decisions of my life. You know, after I tried doing it myself for a while. They keep running over my tip-ups though. Fucking a, tip them up don't run them over with your goddamn tractor. Might have to get a new company next spring.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Huh, my gut reaction would have been to assume the leaves just eventually decompose into mulch for the grass. Didn't know it'll just kill the lawn outright.

Leaves are assholes.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Everybody wants a big yard - up until they have to maintain one.

That's what I always say about hot tubs.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Huh, my gut reaction would have been to assume the leaves just eventually decompose into mulch for the grass. Didn't know it'll just kill the lawn outright.

Leaves are assholes.

Ever walked through heavy woods paired with nice green grass underneath?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I have a big yard, country living and all that. Every year more and more of the grass gets covered by gravel or mulch. Fuck Grass. We are looking at topping one of our trees too, that drops a mountain of leaves, maybe take the top 2/3 off the tree. It would greatly improve the leaf situation and limit the amount of damage to the house it would cause if it fell over.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I grew up with acres of land.

I moved to the city, but every year I tell my parents to just bury it all in a rock garden.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Honestly, even if you want a sea of green as ground cover, grass is kind of terrible.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i knocked 2 rowhouses that had tiny little grass backyards off my list when i was searching for my house.

i want no part of grass in any fashion. lawns are the devil.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Leaves are assholes.

That's just due to the lack of light though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Leaves are assholes.

That’s what a layer of leaves will provide whether they are sixty feet in the air as the canopy or in contact on the ground.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

Leaves are assholes.

This is why you plant clover and mulch the leaves with your lawnmower.

It likes low light and higher moisture.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Leaves are assholes.

That’s what a layer of leaves will provide whether they are sixty feet in the air as the canopy or in contact on the ground.

Given the fallen leaves arrive in autumn the lack of light doesn't matter though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.