Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Hey, I love yodeling. Hell, ICS Vortex' vocal style is heavily, heavily inspired by it, as are some of his Norse peers.

autothrall on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I dig harsh vocals when they add to whatever emotional content is occurring, because that's really what music is for me: an emotional experience.

Most music does not evoke anything for me and what works for me radically changes over time, such that everything I enjoy seems to eventually be dust in my ears and simply doesn't effect me anymore.

Beethoven was the first music I fell in love with, followed by Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Thelonius Monk, The Beatles, some 2nd wave ska bands, a few punk bands, some rap projects, and eventually followed by numerous metal acts in an ever enlarging search for music that does something to/for me. Of all the things I've listened to and loved, sometimes classical pieces, Sonic Youth and Thelonius Monk can still evoke that aside from metal, but not ska, punk, rap/hip-hop, classic rock, modern rock, etc.

Ultimately when I'm having a memorable and emotional experience I break out in goosebumps which can occur due to dissonant or consonant music and that physical response is largely what I hope for in music as it is a physical expression of ecstasy, for me. Note that is nothing like getting goosebumps as a fear response, because what happens to me is a purely ecstatic reaction as I feel the goosebumps breaking out and spreading and pulsing in time with the music. Some music gets me there right away, but many albums I need a few spins before I "get" it and often widely acclaimed music simply never evokes anything.

Anyway, I've relied so heavily on you heshers for years here and on rym and ftdr because you all are more adept than anyone else I've tried to follow at finding music that hits me that way. There's plenty of good stuff that doesn't hit me in that way, but I basically only return to music that does that for me. It's such a mysterious thing I can't even categorize what might work or put into words what I'm looking for because I don't really know.

All that to say, vocals are usually just there as a texture within the experience for me, and rarely do they have impact one way or another and on Xoth, I'm not getting there anyway and the vocals are not the problem.

Given what surrealitycheck was saying about being a dissonance slut, I would also enjoy hearing dissonant clean vocals sung with emotional weight as part of a good piece of music, but I've never run into something like that that I recall. Minor harmonies, sure, but intentional clean vocal dissonance, not so much.

theres quite a lot of world music that has unusually structured vocal harmony. a fairly well-known example would be classic japanese vocal style of very high nasal singing in 5ths that you hear a bunch in eg the ghost in the shell soundtrack (not that 5ths are discordant, but it is not a structure you see popping up a lot in much western music)

Funily enough, the first systemic study of music theory in the West was structured primarily around perfect fifths. Pythagoras had a major hard on for the number 3 and based his musical studies around 3/2 ratios when tuning lyres and making choral chords.

Personally, I had fun in my theory studies in college seeing how many variations on tritones I could kludge together in a coherent piece without going full 12 Tone, along with messing around with stuff in the vein of starting with the classic Dies Irae and modulating to major keys when extrapolating into primary melodies while writing in Sonata/Allegro form.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    autothrall wrote: »
    Hey, I love yodeling. Hell, ICS Vortex' vocal style is heavily, heavily inspired by it, as are some of his Norse peers.
    I got as much of a kick out of exploring it with my daughter as she did, I'll admit, especially the jodlerklub choir-type, which I'd never before heard. I also discovered, as with so many things, I'm deeply ignorant of the traditional art.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I really like Insomium now

• Options
    I got as much of a kick out of exploring it with my daughter as she did, I'll admit. I also discovered, as with so many things, I'm deeply ignorant of the traditional art.

Dude there are technical/traditional yodelers that will blow your mind. It's all laughter and stereotypes until you experience what they're doing and then it becomes 'oh shit....'.

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    What changed your mind?

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    What changed your mind?

I'd never heard of them before?

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Oh! Happy listening!!

They are very good at the melodeth-ing!

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    I got as much of a kick out of exploring it with my daughter as she did, I'll admit. I also discovered, as with so many things, I'm deeply ignorant of the traditional art.

Dude there are technical/traditional yodelers that will blow your mind. It's all laughter and stereotypes until you experience what they're doing and then it becomes 'oh shit....'.
    Nice! I'm not the only one getting blown away.

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Shuffle play reminded me that I fucking love DoomSword.

Their MA page says they are active, but 2011 is getting to be quite a while ago now ... makes me wonder if we will hear from them again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUaSd1O6ako
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ECLvEvFtM

Goddamn, the title track off Eternal Battle is so fucking boss.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Also, I really love Emptiness's album, Oblivion. Just fantastic Black/Death Metal:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2yY2Y5d340
    Edit: Old news I know, but shuffle is being really good to me today.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    That is a fantastic album, it is also quite amusing how much Emptiness has changed over the years, however their last two albums, both in an artsy black metal style were really good. Enjoyed those.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    And to cap off the killer shuffle this fucking shit comes on as I'm rolling to lunch:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM
    Goddamn!!

Edit: While Melissa opened me up to high-pitched metal vocals, Painkiller, Nuclear Fire, Black Sun and Mastercutor cemented the deal permanently (especially Painkiller).

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    If we're talking unusual vocal harmonies in world music, Sardinian throat singing is some wild shit, and kinda metal:

https://youtu.be/kJCRAo6CpBY

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If we're talking unusual vocal harmonies in world music, Sardinian throat singing is some wild shit, and kinda metal: ...
    Nice! I very much enjoy throat singing! I can do several styles with up to 4 simultaneous tones. I mostly learned by trying what I was hearing in a documentary (Genghis Blues) about a blind American musician who won the horse in the Tuvan national throat singing contest and who is self taught. My wife and most other people hate it though.

Edit: I've often thought that throat singing in the kargyraa (growl) style would fit really well in extreme metal stylistically while also allowing the vocalist to harmonize (consonantly or dissonant-ly) with the other parts in a song. There are some extreme metal vocalists who slip into something very close to that at times, but I doubt it is intentional.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    There's a band from Iqaluit who meshes Canadiana folk with throat singing in interesting ways. I'm pretty sure it's all in Inuktitut as well.

https://youtu.be/5neft4S0nr0

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Another good older selection from shuffle. This is pretty good unheralded (except by autothrall) melodeth with a healthy dose of brutality:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6NrdVSe_A&list=OLAK5uy_nwga-Wp8H74yGcctkMBI0L5nNHL4QD9q0

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Jinjer's new album, Macro, is out and just hnnnnnnngggggggg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f353euyRno

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    As always, Tatiana gives me a fear boner. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Why didn’t any of you guys tell me about Death?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Why didn't any of you guys tell me about Black Sabbath?

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Why didn't any of you guys tell me about Winger?

• Options
    Why didn't any of you guys tell me about Winger?

Well, you were only Seventeen.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Seriously though, I’d never really given them a listen. When they were still making music I was either too young and sheltered to listen to them or too busy listening to Ministry, Skinny Puppy, and Nine Inch Nails.

When I started listening to metal in earnest they struck me as probably being too old school and therefore probably terribly produced. I knew their story but didn’t really care to listen to them.

I downloaded Scream Bloody Gore on Apple Music after work and gave it a listen. I really wish I had come across Death when I was a teenager. I think it would have made me into a better person.

Edit: I think Leprosy would have given me nightmares if I had listened to it when it came out. What a jump in quality between a debut and a second album.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Leprosy is still my second favorite death metal album of all time. Many people think Human is their best, but for me that's when they got a little more nerdy and less evil sounding. I almost never listen to anything after the first three, though the only one I dislike is Sound of Perseverance.

• Options
    What’s your favourite death metal album of all time?

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Iirc, it's Ants On My Face: The Musical

Fearmeister on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    The first Death song I ever heard was "The Philosopher" and I wasn't ready for Chuck's vocals. I don't think I got a proper appreciation for the band for a few years after that.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    a3278633224_16.jpg

In here to plug a release from today, an EP from a band called Lifvsleda. Nordic Black Metal made from people who have, allegedly, been involved in that scene since the beginning.

• Options
    Holy shit. Yodeling to Ants on My Face is an amazing album. I feel like I’m discovering a whole new genre of metal here.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Holy shit. Yodeling to Ants on My Face is an amazing album. I feel like I’m discovering a whole new genre of metal here.

The first two Pestilence albums are perfection, and have always remained so. Mallevs for its frightening clinical technical death/thrash mastery, and Consuming Impulse for just being one of the most savage and evil sounding death metal records in the genre. And from 198-freakin-9! Never ages a day for me.

If classic death metal is new to you, you'll probably find a lot of stuff you might like on this list, it's still my most-viewed list at Rate Your Music, goes up to the year 2000:

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/autothrall/autothralls_classic_death_metal_formula_400/

I've also got one over there for newer death metal up to 2010 (and then the yearly lists after that).

My personal favorite death metal discs, apart from the two aforementioned Pestilence albums and Death Leprosy:

Bolt Thrower Realm of Chaos
    Entombed Left Hand Path
    Morbid Angel Altars of Madness
    Demilich Nespithe
    Cannibal Corpse Bloodthirst
    Vader Welcome to the Morbid Reich
    Anata The Conductor's Departure
    Heaving Earth Denouncing the Holy Throne

But I could list you 1,000 more I love without batting an eyelash.

autothrall on
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Realms of Chaos works me up so hard that I'm not allowed to listen to it at work anymore. Too much head banging and flailing.
    But I could list you 1,000 more I love without batting an eyelash.

Oh? *digs out a notepad and pen*

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That might be the first release I’ve liked from Dark Descent

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    That might be the first release I’ve liked from Dark Descent

Why must you do this to me

• Options
    I think Heresiarch is one of the least interesting bands on that whole roster, but that tune is a step up.

This discussion has been closed.