Options

Twitter Continues To Have A [Twitter] Problem

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    I dunno, sounds like something a consumer privacy protection bureau may want to noodle on

The upside is that it's similar in structure to most administrations involved in research, so existing regulations can carry over. The downsides are that it becomes much harder for anybody to create a new version of any social media, and the government will eventually have access to the personal information of everybody that's registered with a popular social media network. That's what's probably going to happen to give teeth to audit power.

I’m sorry I have a hard time mustering up any fucking shits at all

I wouldn't have put it forward if it was a completely terrible idea, but it begs the question: how much do you trust the government? Like any regulatory solution, If (trust in government > increase in government power) {success} else {failure}

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I dunno, sounds like something a consumer privacy protection bureau may want to noodle on

The upside is that it's similar in structure to most administrations involved in research, so existing regulations can carry over. The downsides are that it becomes much harder for anybody to create a new version of any social media, and the government will eventually have access to the personal information of everybody that's registered with a popular social media network. That's what's probably going to happen to give teeth to audit power.

I wouldn't have put it forward if it was a completely terrible idea, but it begs the question: how much do you trust the government? Like any regulatory solution, If (trust in government > increase in government power) {success} else {failure}

More than I trust techbros like Mark Zuckerberg.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

I’m probably not a good person to have this conversation with, not just for the fact that I have no interest at all in churning on hypotheticals

There are huge problems and civilization-sized risks with social media and tech and nowhere fucking near the levels of accountability needed for its reach and impact

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/06/technology/twitter-saudi-arabia-spies.html

So in other horrifying news, two former twitter employees were accused of spying for Saudi Arabia on dissidents. Sleep tight america.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I’m probably not a good person to have this conversation with, not just for the fact that I have no interest at all in churning on hypotheticals

There are huge problems and civilization-sized risks with social media and tech and nowhere fucking near the levels of accountability needed for its reach and impact

I think ideas have more upward mobility than opinions. Like, you can just totally dismiss my opinion because its merit is linked to its creator, but an idea has intrinsic merit that can be gifted or stolen, so its dissemination and success are not held back by the creator.

Likewise, I am not a good person to have a conversation with about opinion and sentiment, since I think in terms of the next step: assuming that your opinion is the right one or alternately the wrong one, what can we do in the real world?

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

They sell the data currently. Functionally the government has access to all of it. They just gotta pay like anyone else.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/06/technology/twitter-saudi-arabia-spies.html

So in other horrifying news, two former twitter employees were accused of spying for Saudi Arabia on dissidents. Sleep tight america.

Well I can safely say that we've reached the point where this kind of article doesn't register any sort of emotion from me. Like it should be scary that they're able to do that but it really isn't.

• Options
    Gnizmo wrote: »

They sell the data currently. Functionally the government has access to all of it. They just gotta pay like anyone else.

That's what facebook and twitter and stuff do, but regulation would not only affect Facebook and Twitter, but all social media. A regulation that would only affect them would basically need a clause "here's the hoops that you need to jump through to sell user data." If that is plain not allowed, then facebook and twitter are not special entities subject to special regulation, and other companies that do not currently sell user data would be subject to the same regulation. Do those companies exist? I dunno.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Social media was a mistake.

No, the mistake was letting it be run by privileged techbros who have no comprehension of how it can be abused.

How do you make it so people don't own what they code?

A Microsoft contract?

The vast majority of programmers don’t own their own code

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

No, the mistake was letting it be run by privileged techbros who have no comprehension of how it can be abused.

A Microsoft contract?

And most company owners who do own the code, don't code, even if they can, because they don't have the time.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

A Microsoft contract?

I've never owned my own code at any place I've worked.

Some have laid claim to code I develop that's work-related outside of work.

Orca on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Some even lay claim to all code you write in any context, no matter when or why you write it, as long as you're their employee.

• Options
    painfulPleasancepainfulPleasance The First RepublicRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's always fun to see Objectivists defend that.

painfulPleasance on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

"You didn't have to take a job that does that" or variants thereof.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

"You didn't have to take a job that does that" or variants thereof.

Some companies are open to taking that out of your contract if you have a project (especially Open Source) you want to work on in your free time.

• Options

A Microsoft contract?

Hmm, but to address the problem, you've got to capture freelance. Not just coding, but any idea. If you develop a billion dollar idea, you must be forced to relinquish majority ownership interest you become a billionaire.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    We’re crossing the philanthropy and twitter streams

An idea that eventually becomes a billion dollar enterprise isn’t always a good idea.

And if it poses major risks of harm to society, society has every right to demand change or tear it down.

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The easiest way is to develop a serum that erases specific memories and make drinking it at the end of a project a contractual requirement for every programmer.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I find myself thinking about two things pretty often in social media discussions.

1. Anything which is best served to the population by a monopoly should probably be provided by the government rather than a private corporation.
    2. If we do that, it's much harder to be rid of the Nazis on social media (because we're not getting hate speech laws through any time soon).

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    We’re crossing the philanthropy and twitter streams

An idea that eventually becomes a billion dollar enterprise isn’t always a good idea.

And if it poses major risks of harm to society, society has every right to demand change or tear it down.

Bain Capitol and other vulture capitalistic companies have become billion dollar enterprises primarily by forcing production to low cost countries (e.g. China) and by coming up with schemes to extract a significant portion of the value from a business then killing said business (e.g. Toys'R'Us).

For businesses, money is THE metric, and the metrics drive. Which is why we see daily reports of executives and/or companies getting in trouble for corruption. The metric for ethics is pass/fail, and you only fail if you get caught. And even then, if your money metric is good enough, your failing the ethical metric will become a pass. Because the metrics drive.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

A Microsoft contract?

Hmm, but to address the problem, you've got to capture freelance. Not just coding, but any idea. If you develop a billion dollar idea, you must be forced to relinquish majority ownership interest you become a billionaire.

Im sort of lost here, are you arguing for the billionare freelancer? Is that a thing that exists?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    The easiest way is to develop a serum that erases specific memories and make drinking it at the end of a project a contractual requirement for every programmer.

So the celebratory happy “hour” after a release?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    How is a PR shill who worked for Gingrich 2012 a leftist? She doesn't even like Bernie.

Update your website's security certificates.

Isn't this basically the plot to Phillip K Dick's Paycheck?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    How is a PR shill who worked for Gingrich 2012 a leftist? She doesn't even like Bernie.

Yes. I believe they call this plague-ism.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Don't give them ideas you asshole!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

That's the name of the Ben Affleck movie I was thinking of.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

That would be great for all those gaming Me Too moments as well.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

A Microsoft contract?

Im sort of lost here, are you arguing for the billionare freelancer? Is that a thing that exists?

More like an entrepreneur. You have an idea, you make sure it is not the property of wherever you work, and you claim it for yourself before you build on it. I haven't been arguing for anything yet

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    So, after the shitshow on Twitter last night thanks to the stunt that the UK Conservatives pulled last night (that being changing one of their official accounts to pretend to be a fact checking service), Jack is putting his best dissapointed dad face:
    Twitter said that the Conservative Party had misled the public and warned that it would take "corrective action" if the party repeated the stunt.

"We have global rules in place that prohibit behaviour that can mislead people, including those with verified accounts," a spokesperson said."

Any further attempts to mislead people by editing verified profile information — in a manner seen during the UK Election Debate — will result in decisive corrective action."

Is simple, since this is a misuse of the verified tag, just remove it from that account and update your rules so people can't just game the system like that again. But, you know, is easier to do nothing.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    So, after the shitshow on Twitter last night thanks to the stunt that the UK Conservatives pulled last night (that being changing one of their official accounts to pretend to be a fact checking service), Jack is putting his best dissapointed dad face:
    Twitter said that the Conservative Party had misled the public and warned that it would take "corrective action" if the party repeated the stunt.

"We have global rules in place that prohibit behaviour that can mislead people, including those with verified accounts," a spokesperson said."

Any further attempts to mislead people by editing verified profile information — in a manner seen during the UK Election Debate — will result in decisive corrective action."

Is simple, since this is a misuse of the verified tag, just remove it from that account and update your rules so people can't just game the system like that again. But, you know, is easier to do nothing.

The account has been verified as an official account of a major party. This is one of those cases where the checkmark is in the public interest. That they broke the rules doesn't change that. Tories (✓) did this, and removing it just helps them deny it was an official action.

So, no, they shouldn't unverify the account for breaking the rules, they should ban the account for breaking the rules.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Business professor Scott Galloway responds to Dorsey's plans to spend half of 2020 in Africa with an incredibly pointed burn:
    It’s not Mr. Dorsey’s plans to move to Africa that constrain stakeholder value, but his plans to move back.

Ouch. But he definitely has a point - Dorsey is already a part time CEO (as most of his wealth is tied up in his actual job as CEO of Square) which has routinely left Twitter leaderless.

Dorsey needs to go.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Facebook put zero thought in to this policy. There's no way to ensure veracity in political ads that doesn't disproportionately affect conservatives.

I really need to do something about my mobile experience but I finally saw one of these political ads on FB. Marked it as "False News" -- found it interesting that it gave me 6 to 8 choices as to why it was wrong, but only let me select one. Seems that FB doesn't want too much data coming in to help with whatever bot they have going through the ads. Oh. And the ad itself was an anti New Green Deal one. Claimed the NGD was going to kill jobs and so on. Odd in a sad sort of way. I have to wonder why it showed to me, given everything I "like" on the platform.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Facebook put zero thought in to this policy. There's no way to ensure veracity in political ads that doesn't disproportionately affect conservatives.

I really need to do something about my mobile experience but I finally saw one of these political ads on FB. Marked it as "False News" -- found it interesting that it gave me 6 to 8 choices as to why it was wrong, but only let me select one. Seems that FB doesn't want too much data coming in to help with whatever bot they have going through the ads. Oh. And the ad itself was an anti New Green Deal one. Claimed the NGD was going to kill jobs and so on. Odd in a sad sort of way. I have to wonder why it showed to me, given everything I "like" on the platform.

Are you not engaged?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    When is a death threat not a death threat?

When it's on Twitter, apparently:
    Sady Doyle is no stranger to trolls. But even she has had her fill.

On Wednesday, Doyle received a very direct threat on Twitter from the account MISOGYNY. The user, who later changed his name to Hcreampie and made his tweets private, sent Doyle an image of a hand holding a gun, along with the text, “when i see you homeboy, oh my god..”

Doyle reported the image to Twitter who went on to tell her that they “could not determine a clear violation of the Twitter Rules.”

How do they keep failing like this?

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Because they don’t give a shit

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    When is a death threat not a death threat?

When it's on Twitter, apparently:
    Sady Doyle is no stranger to trolls. But even she has had her fill.

On Wednesday, Doyle received a very direct threat on Twitter from the account MISOGYNY. The user, who later changed his name to Hcreampie and made his tweets private, sent Doyle an image of a hand holding a gun, along with the text, “when i see you homeboy, oh my god..”

Doyle reported the image to Twitter who went on to tell her that they “could not determine a clear violation of the Twitter Rules.”

How do they keep failing like this?

Because they don't care at best.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    At this point I can’t even summon enough surprise in me to get more than a raised eyebrow. Any post that contains such incredulousness about Twitter is clearly rhetorical because we all already know the answer.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    At this point I can’t even summon enough surprise in me to get more than a raised eyebrow. Any post that contains such incredulousness about Twitter is clearly rhetorical because we all already know the answer.

I'm not that familiar with Twitter, but can these messages that have been rejected by Twitter's Rules Teams be edited (if referenced by name, change the name to Jack) and forwarded to @jack?

Hashtag "How do you fucking like it?".

Like I said, I'm not that familiar with Twitter. :)

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Well, you'd probably be banned, for one thing.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Twitter's demonstrated a clear double standard when enforcing their rules would be inconvenient in any way for Dorsey.

This discussion has been closed.