Options

Twitter Continues To Have A [Twitter] Problem

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Variable wrote: »
    This quickly went from “interesting concept” to “of course twitter went the path of least work/thought” and is a giant new vector for the fuck bigots to harass and get people banned

there is no plan that wouldn't lead to a way that twitter could fuck over vulnerable people.

personally I prefer the blanket option (though of course we still have to fight the 'what is politics' battle) to the idea of them parsing what's "true" or like "dangerous" or whatever.

No see there are already laws that define political advertising. That part (a ban on those ads) should have been easy.

Twitter has indicated they are going to be dumb as shit about this and not use that framework, though

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Political ads would be much less of a problem if we hadn't had Citizens United make it legal to have infinite dark money PACs running around.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    I've lost networking opportunities by refusing to have a facebook profile, and I am a thorn in the side of my relatives' efforts to organize family gatherings on social media. I have everything to gain if facebook suddenly disappears

I don’t see how this would change. Some other platform would fill the void and you’d be right back in the same position (or one close enough to be mostly indistinguishable to it) shortly thereafter.

Unless all social media is blown up and made illegal or something, another group will step up. Oh sure, getting buy in from everyone would be a challenge, but once enough momentum went to one of them, I suspect we’d end up roughly where we are now, though hopefully with less incompetence and greed and whatnot.

I feel pretty comfortable competing against the likes of LinkedIn, and I have elegant private cloud and correspondence solutions for family members abandoned by toxic social media. Believe me, I am set up for a facebook exodus.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    You may be, but most will have to wait for the next social media to replace Facebook.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Political ads would be much less of a problem if we hadn't had Citizens United make it legal to have infinite dark money PACs running around.

Yeah there are a lot of problems with money in elections, but...

The Dark Money PAC ads are still classified as political ads. That part should have been incredibly easy for Twitter...

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    The announcement literally said they would be releasing their plan on the 15th, so it seems weird to talk about how awful the new policy is right now?

Admittedly their previous moderation does leave a lot of room for criticism

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    That's kinda their plan. Announce an announcement with no details to criticize. Try to stop the conversation for long enough so that people find something else to be mad about. There are no shortage of things to be mad about, and social media is really bad at multitasking.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The announcement literally said they would be releasing their plan on the 15th, so it seems weird to talk about how awful the new policy is right now?

Admittedly their previous moderation does leave a lot of room for criticism

They followed up with examples and more details, so we're not just randomly speculating.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yeah, when the examples of what the policy will entail explicitly say things like "you won't be allowed to have ads discussing climate change because objective truths that some people don't accept are now politics" the uncertainty isn't whether the policy will be awful as much as how awful the policy's particulars will be.

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    And there it is

But in recent days, it’s become clear that there are some problems with Twitter’s new policy. For example: It’s easy to determine which ads are about specific candidates. But what is Twitter’s definition of a political “issue ad,” exactly? How does Twitter plan to enforce what is one, and isn’t one?

These questions have serious implications for the climate fight. For example, a HEATED investigation identified more than a dozen tweets from ExxonMobil related to climate change that are not currently labelled by Twitter as political “issue” ads. Under the new policy, these ads will be permitted to run after November 22, while environmental groups’ climate-related ads will be banned.

Asked to explain why Exxon’s climate-related ads are not political, Twitter declined to comment.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    So... as expected, Jack is exactly the wanker people expected him to be.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    And there it is

But in recent days, it’s become clear that there are some problems with Twitter’s new policy. For example: It’s easy to determine which ads are about specific candidates. But what is Twitter’s definition of a political “issue ad,” exactly? How does Twitter plan to enforce what is one, and isn’t one?

These questions have serious implications for the climate fight. For example, a HEATED investigation identified more than a dozen tweets from ExxonMobil related to climate change that are not currently labelled by Twitter as political “issue” ads. Under the new policy, these ads will be permitted to run after November 22, while environmental groups’ climate-related ads will be banned.

Asked to explain why Exxon’s climate-related ads are not political, Twitter declined to comment.

The policy isn't set until the 15th, so it's good to keep pressure on them, but the goal should be ensuring ads critical of Exxon are allowed, not blocking ads about their latest carbon capture tech.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    This is an excellent example of "keeping politics out of it" is a nonsensical idea. So long as they're politics Jack is accustomed to he'll let them go right on ahead.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    How many people here still use Twitter? I'm sure it's probably been brought up before, but like, at what point is enough enough and you just stop? They're clearly not managing their platform better and it doesn't look like they will anytime in the near future, either.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    I literally only have it to see the tweets you all embed

• Options
    Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    How many people here still use Twitter? I'm sure it's probably been brought up before, but like, at what point is enough enough and you just stop? They're clearly not managing their platform better and it doesn't look like they will anytime in the near future, either.

I still use it and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. As an aspiring writer, there's not another place on the internet that's anywhere near as useful for contacts and networking.

The problem is one of legacy. WriterTube is fine if all you're into is the voyeur side of craft. FB doesn't encourage the kinds of interaction that's possible with Twitter. Instagram needs images and that's not nearly as relevant with writing. Twitter is nearly perfect for writers chatting and needing help.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I do for PAX tickets.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I never have

I started to use it a bit years ago, but never got super into it. So it was really easy to give up when they were obviously bad years ago

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I still have Twitter accounts - Mostly because various subcultures I am a part of use Twitter extensively for their communication and networking. That's died down in recent months mostly due to the fact that I (and many of my subculture compatriots) have moved to other platforms (Mostly Mastodon, which does a much better job at what I want and need out of a communication platform).

I use Twitter these days for one thing alone: Keeping up with artists I enjoy, as their Twitter feeds remain the primary place to view their new art, find they are open for commissions, etc.

I still dislike Twitter immensely, mostly for the firehose of awful it becomes constantly. I don't dare say much on there, and I hate seeing the dogpiles that happen to people I care about. But for keeping up with certain people, this is pretty much the only way for now. (Best believe I'm using some aggressive means of blocking ads and promoted tweets, too).

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

You don't need it for that. Tweets can be viewed without having an account.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

You don't need it for that. Tweets can be viewed without having an account.

Praise the Sun!!!

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I don't ever try to interact with it but I do keep a tightly curated feed of writers that I enjoy. There's nothing else like it in that regard, particularly with how often people are forced to write at multiple sites.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I use Twitter. Like, a lot, and plan to keep doing so. It's definitely a fucked up platform but it's exposed me to a lot of people and views from marginalized groups that I wouldn't have been otherwise. I also curate my feed and block liberally, which makes the whole experience more pleasant.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    And there it is

I see those as regular tweets though and not as promoted ads? Normally promoted ads have a lot more coverage.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I barely used twitter the only thing that stopped me as I forgot my password
    As I said earlier I barely use facebook anymore {not because of the forced name change}

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I still use it. Really your experience with it depends on how you curate your feeds, your input/output. Input, source select, etcetera.
    I also don't seek confrontation on there because it's pointless. Nobody is going to convince anyone of and/or about anything, IMO.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    So... looks like the Trump Campaign are starting their push towards inciting violence.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-ad-facebook-violence-far-left_n_5dc324b5e4b0d8eb3c8efad4?utm_hp_ref=ca-us-politics
    Linking the following tweet.

"New Trump Facebook ad: "The far left knows that they have NO CHANCE of defeating President Trump in 2020, so they’ve resorted to violence to try to silence the MILLIONS of American Patriots who voted for him.""
    - Judd Legum is a blogger with some decent credentials, and the creator of ThinkProgress.

Calling out the left as having already "resorted to violence"*, to people who consider the 2nd Amendment sacrosanct, and through which Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground are philosophies to live by, I can absolutely see this being used as a call for pro-active "self defense".
    * I'd like a cite for that. Not expecting one, though.

The second para is even more daunting.

"We need to show radical left that they will NEVER be able to silence us with violence and their hatred."

I wonder how they hope their supporters will show the radical left that?

This is fucking disgusting, and yet, I'm not surprised this isn't their next move.

EDIT: That at LEAST two domestic terrorist attacks have been directly linked to Trump's rhetoric (Florida bombings, Philadelphia mosque shooting), means that either they just don't fucking care if what they say causes violence, or they're actively rooting for it.

MorganV on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    So... looks like the Trump Campaign are starting their push towards inciting violence.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-ad-facebook-violence-far-left_n_5dc324b5e4b0d8eb3c8efad4?utm_hp_ref=ca-us-politics

"New Trump Facebook ad: "The far left knows that they have NO CHANCE of defeating President Trump in 2020, so they’ve resorted to violence to try to silence the MILLIONS of American Patriots who voted for him.""
    - Judd Legum is a blogger with some decent credentials, and the creator of ThinkProgress.

Calling out the left as having already "resorted to violence"*, to people who consider the 2nd Amendment sacrosanct, and through which Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground are philosophies to live by, I can absolutely see this being used as a call for pro-active "self defense".

"We need to show radical left that they will NEVER be able to silence us with violence and their hatred."

This is fucking disgusting, and yet, I'm not surprised this isn't their next move.

EDIT: That at LEAST two domestic terrorist attacks have been directly linked to Trump's rhetoric (Florida bombings, Philadelphia mosque shooting), means that either they just don't fucking care if what they say causes violence, or they're actively rooting for it.

Hint: It's the second one

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Social media was a mistake.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's always projection.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

No, the mistake was letting it be run by privileged techbros who have no comprehension of how it can be abused.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

Hint: It's the second one

From Lincoln to MLK Jr. to Dr. George Tiller, the play has been the same: Rile up terrorists so they murder political opponents to scare the rest into "bipartisanship".

• Options

No, the mistake was letting it be run by privileged techbros who have no comprehension of how it can be abused.

How do you make it so people don't own what they code?

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options

You can regulate things, including governance structure, etc

• Options

You can regulate things, including governance structure, etc

Like, a review board that approves all publicly released web applications, or one that puts a hard limit on user account numbers for exemption?

• Options
    I dunno, sounds like something a consumer privacy protection bureau may want to noodle on

• Options
    I dunno, sounds like something a consumer privacy protection bureau may want to noodle on

The upside is that it's similar in structure to most administrations involved in research, so existing regulations can carry over. The downsides are that it becomes much harder for anybody to create a new version of any social media, and the government will eventually have access to the personal information of everybody that's registered with a popular social media network. That's what's probably going to happen to give teeth to audit power.

• Options

The upside is that it's similar in structure to most administrations involved in research, so existing regulations can carry over. The downsides are that it becomes much harder for anybody to create a new version of any social media, and the government will eventually have access to the personal information of everybody that's registered with a popular social media network. That's what's probably going to happen to give teeth to audit power.

I’m sorry I have a hard time mustering up any fucking shits at all

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'd assume the government pretty much already has that info already.

This discussion has been closed.