As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Duty] BLOPS IIII out now, and pretty good despite Activision's best efforts.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Lots of people dont understand that you have to stick together and use the pickups. People run off and die and never throw down ammo or armor. On the first mission people forget to call in the AC130 if they get it.

My biggest complaint if if you die it is impossible to get back to your squad.

If they set a limit to the amount on men that come at you it wouldn't be so bad, or even have you some time between waves. As of now it's a never ending tidal wave of enemies.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Lots of people dont understand that you have to stick together and use the pickups. People run off and die and never throw down ammo or armor. On the first mission people forget to call in the AC130 if they get it.

My biggest complaint if if you die it is impossible to get back to your squad.

If they set a limit to the amount on men that come at you it wouldn't be so bad, or even have you some time between waves. As of now it's a never ending tidal wave of enemies.

Agree and I could deal with the tidal wave of enemies if they just adjusted their spawning locations. Having them swarm from every direction just makes maintaining a front damn near impossible, especially when you have to hack exposed terminals. Though yeah a fair number of my failures are cases where folks just plain didn't know what to do and just tried to stand there killing enemies non stop, but managing the spawns would go a long way to making them easier to control.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    My two problems with SpecOps, apart from the bugs which will be corrected over time, are the length of the missions and the false endings where you get re-tasked and inserted somewhere else. Now, that happened in campaign missions in past MW games, but it felt more connected and less like an excuse to show off the size of what will soon be one large, connected battle royale map.

I just tried fiddling with some attachments on the AK, and there are some clear standouts that I’m putting on, and probably leaving on, once they unlock. The Skeleton Stock is amazing, for one, and the combination of RPK Barrel and Compensator just about makes it a laser rifle. The unlock order on the perks is interesting, though it’s a shame that FMJ is buried deep in the progression, since emptying a magazine or drum of FMJ into the back of an IAV or APC deals a shocking amount of damage in this game.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    The "surrounded by 20 enemies 100% of the time" wouldn't be terrible if they were not super accurate, or if the hit flinch wasn't absurd.
    Also the thing I see the most complaints about (on Reddit, which this game has forced me into since there seems to be no info anywhere else) is pants on head silly. Skill based matchmaking keeping you from going 40-3 every match is not a bug, it's a feature for the people on the other team who are going to quit playing when they spend the entirety of every match watching your sick jump-prone-M4-headshots and Attack Chopper killcams.

• Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    Me: Guess I should just set the lowest possible killstreaks in order to finish this call down 15 killstreak mission, not as if I ever get double digit kills anyway.
    Also me: Murders 12 enemies on Piccadilly like it ain't no thing.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    The "surrounded by 20 enemies 100% of the time" wouldn't be terrible if they were not super accurate, or if the hit flinch wasn't absurd.
    Also the thing I see the most complaints about (on Reddit, which this game has forced me into since there seems to be no info anywhere else) is pants on head silly. Skill based matchmaking keeping you from going 40-3 every match is not a bug, it's a feature for the people on the other team who are going to quit playing when they spend the entirety of every match watching your sick jump-prone-M4-headshots and Attack Chopper killcams.

God it's hilarious watching the bitching about that and how a good solid 40% of the comments are people calling the poster out that all they want is to curbstomp easy opponents to feel good about themselves. There is nothing fun about getting curbstomped over and over and over in a match and "git gud" only goes so far before you flip your keyboard and say fuck it.

• Options
    Add Deathstreaks. Or boost recharge rate of field upgrades after each death. I'd love to call in multiple VTOLs every match, but that's probably a sign that a few of the players on the other team are not having fun.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I love this Krovnik Farm map but its heavily stacked toward the Coalition. They can get to C faster and are attacking downhill. Almost every time I've played as them I've gotten the Defcon Nuke.

• Options
    Numi wrote: »
    Me: Guess I should just set the lowest possible killstreaks in order to finish this call down 15 killstreak mission, not as if I ever get double digit kills anyway.
    Also me: Murders 12 enemies on Piccadilly like it ain't no thing.

For those, I like to run Pointman in Ground War. Picking off air support, using EMP drones, and capping objectives really gets the scorestreak train out of the station. And in particular, taking out armor for Bunker Buster yields a ton of points.

Krovnik is the best map for launchers in the game, but I’m a little tired of it coming up 90% of the time. I hadn’t thought about the uphill battle for Allegiance until Juggernut brought it up, but that probably explains why the matchmaking is shoving me in there all the time. Replacing people who dropped, I guess.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    There's also way more cover between E,D and C. Allegiance has an open road they have to cross to get into C so it makes stacking bodies a lot harder. If they shortened the map a touch on the Allegiance side to make it more equivalent to the Coalition's side it would balance out more I think.

It's the best map for the M14. Tryna get that EBR mod rolling.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Yeah, that’d be nice. For the moment, I’m still getting even W/L on Krovnik, though. So I suppose not all lobbies really make the most of that positional advantage, at least at this point.

I’ve got the AK now, but I’m far along enough with Steel Curtain’s mission that I might just grind that out first. It’s nice that it comes with my preferred optic, the APX5 holo. So I’m putting in some work with the Kilo 141 to get the incendiary underbarrel that unlocked *much* earlier in the tree on my M4. One nice thing about Ground War is that I feel like I can play it via my sound bar without being put at a disadvantage because I didn’t reach for my headphones. Still not what I’d call a podcast game, but I can at least half-listen to one while playing and feel like I’m doing one and a half things with my time.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I'm really enjoying this game, is there a clan or grouping so I can play with some other pa peeps?

• Options
    At this point I'm just faffing around and doing things that are just way out of my comfort zone like rushing with an smg like I'm 14 and tripping balls on adhd medication. Even though my k/d is starting to reflect my suicidal tendencies it is still rather good fun and a bit of a break from the meta.

Best discovery was that I could absolutely dunk on people with the designated sam launcher. Nothing quite like popping off a shot along the entire length of Petrograd and getting a bang on kill and it also makes cars go boom which is great fun.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    I'm trying to do some of these co-op missions and I swear people don't know how to advance. We're basically just stuck in a small building with wave after wave of enemies pushing the building. This is also the third lobby I've tried for this mission and they always end this way.

I'm going to give it a few more tries to see how it turns out.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Numi wrote: »
    At this point I'm just faffing around and doing things that are just way out of my comfort zone like rushing with an smg like I'm 14 and tripping balls on adhd medication. Even though my k/d is starting to reflect my suicidal tendencies it is still rather good fun and a bit of a break from the meta.

Best discovery was that I could absolutely dunk on people with the designated sam launcher. Nothing quite like popping off a shot along the entire length of Petrograd and getting a bang on kill and it also makes cars go boom which is great fun.

This. Best secondary in the game. Good in 6v6 with its camped doorways and windows, great in Ground War, and awe-inspiring with Pointman against teams that loooove their UAVs/Counter-UAVs. No radar for you, and by the way, thanks for helping build my scorestreak. It’s white phosphorous vapor, you’re welcome.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    I absolutely cannot do decent in ground war. Seems like every team I'm on gets instantly swept back to our last point within like, 2 minutes of the match start. Any and all attempts to be sneaky and get around fail due to instagibbing snipers or some rando peeking a corner somewhere.

I know kills aren't the focus in an objective game mode but I also can't seem to get to the objective because I just die so absurdly fast from places I can't even see.

I can't tell if I'm missing something or not. Just doesn't seem to be clicking.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The map seem to be cut out from the BR mode. There's no real flow to them, and certain areas can be a death trap.

I'm still having fun with ground war, but keep that in mind.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It is so hard to get my brain to unlearn to hipfire with smgs at close range. ADS time is so fast that it's basically never the right call

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I bought this game on PC and it is incredibly fun when I'm actually able to play it the problem being that it doesn't seem to want to let me play for longer than 5-10 minutes before crashing directly to desktop with no error message.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I've had a similar problem (since the first or second round of patches, when it first came out it was fine) and have found the dumbest workaround in history. When you first start the game, try setting up a custom game and loading it with bots, start it up, prone out in a corner and go get a snack/ take a shit/ fold some laundry for 5 minutes. Once the game ends you should be able to play multiplayer without crashing, if your issue is the same as mine.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Didn't seem to help.

Already tried a lot of stuff; changing the process priority, reinstalling the shaders, capping fps. Currently considering rolling back my nvidia drivers.

I am *not* going to do a full reinstall on a 130+gb download though.

• Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    I really like this game. I took the muzzle silencer off the mp5 and this beast of a gun got even better

• Options
    edited November 2019
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    I really like this game. I took the muzzle silencer off the mp5 and this beast of a gun got even better

Great gun all around. The one thing that annoys me about it is how deep they buried Sleight of Hand in the perk progression. Meanwhile, it’s close to the top for some other weapons that really don’t need it.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hey I finally got gold on the m4a1. Those mounted kills took a while.

• Options
    Decide to try some spec ops mission. So I queue for the first one on the list and get dropped into a game in progress. My character's chute deploys and right as I land I get knocked down. Fine. Drop in a second time. Chute opens and I land in a field away from the firefight. I get shot once and I'm down.

Is it me or are these tuned in a way that makes them so needlessly difficult?

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    They're absolutely overtuned as it stands.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Imho the only bad thing about this game is that the patches for some reason are 20GB large all the time (at least on PC).

• Options
    edited November 2019
    They’re a little smaller on PS4, but not much. I almost hate to complain, since this game has been improving steadily as a result of all the updates, and for the first time since COD4, I will actually have all the MP maps. But it would definitely suck really bad on a slower connection or with a small data cap. I have fallen off this game somewhat in the past week, after unlocking some officer ranks and messing with trials a bit. Even then, I went back and finished the campaign over the weekend. So it definitely has its hooks in me. But I’m hoping for some new goals to work towards besides the Steel Curtain grind and the daily challenges that award only character XP.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    Update: I managed to finish all the operations necessary to unlock the operators. I don't think I'll be going back for these anytime soon. I'm still having a lot of fun with all the different game modes to keep me occupied until new maps come out.

Also, I actually like the gun leveling system. Getting new attachments that can drastically alter the way the weapon works is a really cool touch.

• Options
    finally got things working. apparently deleting my directx cache was something I should've done a long time ago considering other slow-running games immediately started performing better.

so.

am I the only one who thinks Price looks like he's constantly trying to hold down a massive burp?

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Update: I managed to finish all the operations necessary to unlock the operators. I don't think I'll be going back for these anytime soon. I'm still having a lot of fun with all the different game modes to keep me occupied until new maps come out.

Also, I actually like the gun leveling system. Getting new attachments that can drastically alter the way the weapon works is a really cool touch.

Congrats on toughing those out. That’s awesome.
    am I the only one who thinks Price looks like he's constantly trying to hold down a massive burp?

You are not alone. He also looks like the Captain Price Slim. He’s even a good deal quieter.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    He comes off as a young guy doing an old gruff guy act

Which funnily enough is exactly what it is

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Ironically, given the lack of wall-running parkour jetpack Blue Angels aerobatics, MW is the first COD game where I’ve dipped my toes into the trend of paddle-augmented controllers. I’m now trying to train my middle fingers to work all four paddles, having given up on using my ring fingers to do anything more complicated than maintain a deathgrip on the input device like I’m Charlie and it’s my Golden Ticket.

Trying to eschew those pedestrian face buttons, I promptly got blown out by Veteran bots. Okay, I guess we’ll Kill Bill this, one digit at a time. Focus on one function, like reloading, and give my middle-aged brain the Shogun Assassin choice between using the square or the paddle. Over time, we’ll see if it automatically starts firing those neurons on the route that stuffs the mag well faster. Then we’ll try something more interesting. Like crouching with the paddles in firefights. Or learning something useful like ASL.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Double XP weekend, but kinda who cares without prestiges to grind through? Double weapon xp is nice at least.

• Options
    Yeah the weapon xp boost is nice, I'm going to try and make pistols useable through the magic of attachments. The .50 is neat

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I spend a few hours in shoothouse to get slugs for the pump shotty. Not worth it even a little. I was hoping they'd be 1hk, but slow moving. Instead they're just slow and only do 1hk to chest/head at shorter ranges. At which point, why not just keep using buckshot because at least it's easier to hit with?
    The completely sawn-down shotgun is hilariously fast though.
    I was also a little sad that the MP5K front-end looks all weird and fat, and I was hoping to be able to slap a grenade launcher on the thing to recreate the halflife 1 "assault rifle".

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    I was also a little sad that the MP5K front-end looks all weird and fat, and I was hoping to be able to slap a grenade launcher on the thing to recreate the halflife 1 "assault rifle".

Yeah, I’ve been trying to find a good AR to strip down to an SMG for this reason. I wasn’t feeling the 9mm M4 or the shorty AK, but the M13 looks promising. Assuming it doesn’t get nerfed, which could happen since, as Ace pointed out, you can run faster with the right attachments on it than you can with a combat knife. I even dig the left-to-right recoil pattern. If it hit a little harder, it would feel a bit like using a plasma cutter.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Yeah the weapon xp boost is nice, I'm going to try and make pistols useable through the magic of attachments. The .50 is neat

Hardcore was really good for unlocking pistol attachments when I was leveling up the .357 which also has the single most fun attachment in the game at level 29 namely snake shot. Nothing like running around Shoot House and dropping people with a secondary mini-shotgun in the form of a revolver.

• Options
    Wow, the rage quitters are out in force tonight. Lots of 2 player teams in the final scoreboard in 6v6. Must be a lot of people out there using 2XP to level weapons they haven’t touched yet (that’s what I’m doing) while also desperately trying to protect their precious K/D they’ve built up (that’s NOT what I’m doing).

• Options
    Yeah, I'm using this weekend to level a bunch of weapons I haven't yet used. Mostly just sniper rifles and some SMGs.