Options

Battle[chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ryu
    credeiki wrote: »
    one of my best friends from college is thinking about having kids and she's been texting us screenshots from a guidebook to lesbian fertility and reproduction and it sounds like a lot of work!

It's more complicated than a turkey baster filled with semen?

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    one of my best friends from college is thinking about having kids and she's been texting us screenshots from a guidebook to lesbian fertility and reproduction and it sounds like a lot of work!

This was also my question.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Have you all tried being homosexuals and not being able to reproduce

1. sort of but i don't understand my own fertility situation

2. one of my best friends from college is thinking about having kids and she's been texting us screenshots from a guidebook to lesbian fertility and reproduction and it sounds like a lot of work!

There are a lot of papers on this sort of thing, fyi

It's super understudied but if you scholar search "transgender fertility" and even just exclude everything from before 2019, you get a fair bit of info/review articles.

I don't know much about your sitch, but the trans women parts are all "about half of trans women still produce sperm, though quality's super low, but it seems like going off hormones for ~4.5 months restores it basically entirely in most cases."

Which is DEFINITELY NOT what had been thought more than a few years ago.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Clan Timber Wolf OmniMech
    Elendil wrote: »
    when you think about it it's weird as hell that they let you breed pokemon with dittos

could the animorphs breed with a ditto

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Sub-Zero
    VishNub wrote: »
    I had obamacare for like a month between grad school and starting here.
    luv 2 pay out the ass for insurance that covers nothing

I mean I didn't use it, but it covered most stuff?
    every plan i saw on it was a high deductible monstrosity

lemme just shoot myself in the foot so i can get my money's worth

The Platinum plans were great, low deductible low copay

$800/mo

spool32 on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

Idk

Mine was like 120/mo I think, but I remember a discussion with a guy in the Bay Area whose cost was like 400/mo for the same plan inexplicably

Its because the system was designed to charge people with a higher income more.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Agumon
    apparently i might have a free year of disney+ through verizon so i guess ill check that out

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    spool32 wrote: »

The Platinum plans were great, low deductible low copay

$800/mo
    The silver plans were on par with a lot of the private sector insurance for like 300 bones a month. That's not the worst.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Are we talking about twig for a wand

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Agumon
    Brody wrote: »

Idk

Mine was like 120/mo I think, but I remember a discussion with a guy in the Bay Area whose cost was like 400/mo for the same plan inexplicably

Its because the system was designed to charge people with a higher income more.

I mean I lived in LA at the time, and all he had to do to get my rate was change the zip code.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    I have to take my cat to the vet. But I just spent $250 taking the other one to the vet, and there was nothing wrong with her! How can I tell my vet "he's good till next year" because he's young and perfectly healthy??

250 bucks is kinda steep, have you considered banfields wellness plan. It might cover what you need and be cheaper for all your kitties.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Yeah right off the bat everything it offered was grotesque

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I have to take my cat to the vet. But I just spent $250 taking the other one to the vet, and there was nothing wrong with her! How can I tell my vet "he's good till next year" because he's young and perfectly healthy??

oh, didn't realize we should've been calling you Doctor Raven.

Don't they need their yearly vaccines, though?

Ice cold!

Yeah he needs vaccines. Bleh. Mostly I'm sad that the wonderful vet lady who has been seeing my cats for four years is leaving the clinic this week. I don't envy her job. I didn't even know they had another vet on staff -- it's a small place.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    It just occurred to me that non programmers probably have no idea what a "library" is when programmers use that word, and unlike "firewall" which can be siloed off as "some tech thing", it's an existing word with an existing meaning.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    It just occurred to me that non programmers probably have no idea what a "library" is when programmers use that word, and unlike "firewall" which can be siloed off as "some tech thing", it's an existing word with an existing meaning.

What? You don't put tiny buildings with books that your programs access into your production code?

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Goku

What? You don't put tiny buildings with books that your programs access into your production code?

For certain interpretations of those words, yes actually!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    my vet has been sending me increasingly threatening letters about my dog's overdue physical exam and I'm just like, he is 14 out of 10 years old and he can stand, walk, eat, and poop all correctly. He doesn't go to bathroom in the house. He's not in obvious pain. He is extremely old. Sometimes he walks into rooms and just moans (relatable).

He's good. He probably has 1000 kinds of cancer. It's fine he's a good boy. We don't need a doctor saying anything right now.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Agumon
    my vet has been sending me increasingly threatening letters about my dog's overdue physical exam and I'm just like, he is 14 out of 10 years old and he can stand, walk, eat, and poop all correctly. He doesn't go to bathroom in the house. He's not in obvious pain. He is extremely old. Sometimes he walks into rooms and just moans (relatable).

He's good. He probably has 1000 kinds of cancer. It's fine he's a good boy. We don't need a doctor saying anything right now.

14/10, donk

VishNub on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    NSFWish (for weird and freaky and stuff)

Explain me why I thought I should show this to @Donkey Kong ? I dunno
    But here it is

poo
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Rename it

Libary

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    emnmnme wrote: »

I believe that is an option, but the book notes that there are health concerns so you have to have an awkward conversation about your known donor's sexual health (and notes that many lesbians may not be used to talking to men about sex--the talk being here 'yo do you think maybe you have hiv or something?' Awkward!)

You can also use someone's frozen sperm which has been screened for diseases and stuff and you don't have to know the donor

You can also do something more like surrogacy, which is what I would get my friend would want to do (to carry her wife's egg). Idk about costs but the wife works for a major tech company and they have very good benefits so I think they have reasonable options open to them.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Pikachu

But here it is

I can't view this because it's hosted on facebook servers and all my devices would rather commit ritual suicide than allow this content to load (as instructed).

(Btw get off all facebook social media)

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

But here it is

I can't view this because it's hosted on facebook servers and all my devices would rather commit ritual suicide than allow this content to load (as instructed).

I have deleted facebook, but I'm still on instagram.

Which you are correct, I should probably get off that too, but then I would need to figure out a way to organize my social life.

Also I've done a pretty good job of making my instagrams just art/tattoo/snowboarding stuff.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I just noticed that a result I've been trying to dance around while writing half my dissertation comes from a paper (from our lab!) that actually shows a super high-variance effect, in one of multiple measures, that is not even p < 0.05. Oh my god. I'm going to murder everyone. Don't put things that sketchy in the discussion! Because all I remembered was "we found an effect," not "we didn't find an effect, but the effect we didn't find was big." Aarrrrghhhhh

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Have you all tried being homosexuals and not being able to reproduce

1. sort of but i don't understand my own fertility situation

2. one of my best friends from college is thinking about having kids and she's been texting us screenshots from a guidebook to lesbian fertility and reproduction and it sounds like a lot of work!

There are a lot of papers on this sort of thing, fyi

It's super understudied but if you scholar search "transgender fertility" and even just exclude everything from before 2019, you get a fair bit of info/review articles.

I don't know much about your sitch, but the trans women parts are all "about half of trans women still produce sperm, though quality's super low, but it seems like going off hormones for ~4.5 months restores it basically entirely in most cases."

Which is DEFINITELY NOT what had been thought more than a few years ago.

I thought it was very not studied but I only did cursory searches a couple years ago. If you are ever for some reason very bored, look up my situation; I don't want to read these papers. I'm really absentminded and keep forgetting to have prophylactics on me when it would be convenient to have them, so it's v pertinent info.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

But here it is

I’d like to because I hate it and I know it’s evil but it’s too convenient and useful and addicting

(At least I’m turning down their recruiters for now and have been
    Though I know I could make stupid money)

Anyway it’s also not loading in the forums for me for some reason

poo
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

then you get into things like framework vs library vs api vs sdk

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Pikachu
    Doodmann wrote: »

But here it is

Which you are correct, I should probably get off that too, but then I would need to figure out a way to organize my social life.

Also I've done a pretty good job of making my instagrams just art/tattoo/snowboarding stuff.

Doesn't matter what you use insta for, its still harvesting your data for psychoanalytics and using your presence as an attractant to advertisers and other users.

I just use group texts. The only person who complained is my wannabe influencer cousin.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Library kind of makes sense because it's like checking out a book to do special things in your code, I need the math library (the math book) to do special math stuff in my code.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

But here it is

I’d like to because I hate it and I know it’s evil but it’s too convenient and useful and addicting

Though I know I could make stupid money
    )

This is why I'm glad I'm too stupid to get recruited. It means I don't have to deal with telling a recruiter from a company like this that their core company ethics are at complete odds with society and I will not support a company like this.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

But here it is

Doesn't matter what you use insta for, its still harvesting your data for psychoanalytics and using your presence as an attractant to advertisers and other users.

I just use group texts. The only person who complained is my wannabe influencer cousin.

I know. And you are right, for the most part I could just switch to group texts, my hard space is where stuff I am interested in doing has become a lot more difficult to buy tickets for because even though I'm signed up for their email newsletters, they usually post stuff to an instagram story first.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

then you get into things like framework vs library vs api vs sdk

long jump vs branch vs jump to subroutine; change my mind.

• Options
    Let’s place bets on how likely I get screwed by my choices of airline / not getting the more expensive ticket to account for possibly having to check my bag due to weight limits / not checking my bag size till last night

I bet that I make it to out of Newark ok, but get screwed on the connecting flight

poo
  • Options
    Pikachu
    Just you guys wait until someone worse than Zuck is running the show at facebook and either burns their empire to the ground with all the users inside or sells your life to rightwing crypto fascists.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It's really hard to get other people to switch off facebook and Instagram

I use a Slack chat for my core buddy group but I've never group texted in my life

• Options
    Pikachu
    When flying budget airlines they cared way more about weight than size. If your bag was a backpack they didn't check size at all on either norwegian or easyjet, in or out of the US. Mine was an inch or so oversize.

They sure checked the weight though, and they were REAL serious about making sure everyone did it and marking every bag as approved.

• Options

But here it is

I know. And you are right, for the most part I could just switch to group texts, my hard space is where stuff I am interested in doing has become a lot more difficult to buy tickets for because even though I'm signed up for their email newsletters, they usually post stuff to an instagram story first.

Yeah it’s unfortunate because I find out a lot of useful information about things like events and other things through it that would be difficult otherwise hm
    And other things
    Quitting 100% is unlikely
    Cutting down is likely but still

I’m weak

poo
  • Options
    Pikachu
    By group text I mean SMS, iMessage, Slack, Discord, WhatsApp, etc. Anything is good as long as the ToS prohibit the company's reading of messages for advertising or research purposes. End to end encryption is even better.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Agumon

But here it is

Though I know I could make stupid money
    )

This is why I'm glad I'm too stupid to get recruited. It means I don't have to deal with telling a recruiter from a company like this that their core company ethics are at complete odds with society and I will not support a company like this.

Heh lucky you, I gotta live in that moral vacuum or else I starve.

This discussion has been closed.