Options

Battle[chat]

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I use a Slack chat for my core buddy group but I've never group texted in my life

We have new security routines so I can't be logged in to company accounts from non-company devices any longer.

Clearly this means I must now move my meme posting to #qualitymemes on the work slack to working hours.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    When flying budget airlines they cared way more about weight than size. If your bag was a backpack they didn't check size at all on either norwegian or easyjet, in or out of the US. Mine was an inch or so oversize.

They sure checked the weight though, and they were REAL serious about making sure everyone did it and marking every bag as approved.

I weighed my bags at least (or stepped on a scale with them)
    So hopefully I’m good there
    I also have a jacket with big pockets so if I need to be desperate I will stuff my pockets

I really need a lighter travel backpack tho
    Wasting too many KG on the bag itself

poo
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    By group text I mean SMS, iMessage, Slack, Discord, WhatsApp, etc. Anything is good as long as the ToS prohibit the company's reading of messages for advertising or research purposes. End to end encryption is even better.

why does facebook own/run whatsapp if they can't data mine it?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I once tried to get friends to do a group slack thing
    That did not work
    Maybe it’ll work now that more companies have slack

But then some ppl don’t want to mix the same app or even have the app on their phones

I did have a discord group with some friends but I left it because one guy was being too edgelordy with memes

So mostly I do group texts for friend to friend communication, but it can be annoying and spammy

But yeah I still use the dumb social medias for dumb things

poo
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    My company keeps tightening the noose on our security procedures and I am real tired of it.

I found another loophole tho. I signed up for SMS 2FA before they required 2-factor. Then, later, they started requiring 2-factor and at the same time made it so made it so you needed to enroll devices to enable 2-factor.

But they left my non-enrolled 2-factor account active. So I still have access to company resources from my personal phone without device enrollment. Fkin slipping through all the cracks baby.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    Doodmann wrote: »
    By group text I mean SMS, iMessage, Slack, Discord, WhatsApp, etc. Anything is good as long as the ToS prohibit the company's reading of messages for advertising or research purposes. End to end encryption is even better.

why does facebook own/run whatsapp if they can't data mine it?

I am sure they have some sort of long-game villainous plan to merge it with facebook messenger once they figure out how without blowing up the whole thing.

I avoid WhatsApp for that reason except for with people who insist on using it, but I'm prepared to drop it whenever necessary.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm fairly confident some of the IT posts on reddit or in moes that talk about problem software dudes circumventing rules is entirely referencing DK directly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is a great IT Crowd episode where they bonk off.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    My issue is that removing yourself from social networks makes it hard for people who don't know you well to connect with you. That's the big appeal of Facebook and its ilk, right — connection requires consent but it's still really easy and has minimal social overhead, and it's based on public identifying information (your name). It's hugely different to ask someone for their number or their email or tell them to make an account in whatever app you use.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

So young too.

I wonder what is going to happen to Paragon. Hopefully it survives. It looked really playable.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    NSFWish (for weird and freaky and stuff)

Explain me why I thought I should show this to @Donkey Kong ? I dunno
    But here it is

I can't view this because it's hosted on facebook servers and all my devices would rather commit ritual suicide than allow this content to load (as instructed).

(Btw get off all facebook social media)

I’d like to because I hate it and I know it’s evil but it’s too convenient and useful and addicting

(At least I’m turning down their recruiters for now and have been
    Though I know I could make stupid money
    )

Anyway it’s also not loading in the forums for me for some reason

This is why I'm glad I'm too stupid to get recruited. It means I don't have to deal with telling a recruiter from a company like this that their core company ethics are at complete odds with society and I will not support a company like this.

Heh lucky you, I gotta live in that moral vacuum or else I starve.

GET PAID

• Options
    Pikachu
    My issue is that removing yourself from social networks makes it hard for people who don't know you well to connect with you. That's the big appeal of Facebook and its ilk, right — connection requires consent but it's still really easy and has minimal social overhead, and it's based on public identifying information (your name). It's hugely different to ask someone for their number or their email or tell them to make an account in whatever app you use.

(feature, not bug)

I have been so much happier and I talk more with the people I really care about.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

it makes party planning so much easier.

• Options

(feature, not bug)

I have been so much happier and I talk more with the people I really care about.

These connections are what I like, though! It makes it really easy to start talking to new people and make new friends, or build acquaintance into friendship.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

This is a positive? Like rando high school dude, if I wanted to talk to you I would have done it at some point in the last 15 years. I really don't want to hear about your mission trip to *checks notes* Ireland.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

(feature, not bug)

I think he's more talking about how hard it is to make new friends as adults, social media definitely allows for a much more passive first step to including them in your "life"

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Pikachu
    I would get so depressed every year on my birthday, getting a deluge of messages wishing me a happy birthday from people who did not give a shit about me 364 days a year but would do a pitiful little social keep alive when reminded by a machine, in case they wanna cash in on being my friend later. I was really revulsed by it.

Now like, my aunt sends me a text and I know that a service didn't remind her to do that. I hear from like two people from highschool and none of my college friends remember my birthday but they'll send me some unrelated message and I just find it so much more real and fulfilling.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

This is a positive? Like rando high school dude, if I wanted to talk to you I would have done it at some point in the last 15 years. I really don't want to hear about your mission trip to *checks notes* Ireland.

Random high school dude isn't who I'm talking about, though, and it's trivial to block or remove people you're not interested in. But people you meet at parties or through events, friends of friends, incidental connections, online friends, etc. A lot of these social network connections have easily turned into friendships or relationships.

• Options
    I don't remember anyone's birthday and I refuse to be judged and that's another service Facebook offers that I enjoy

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Clan Timber Wolf OmniMech

But here it is

I can't view this because it's hosted on facebook servers and all my devices would rather commit ritual suicide than allow this content to load (as instructed).

I’d like to because I hate it and I know it’s evil but it’s too convenient and useful and addicting

)

This is why I'm glad I'm too stupid to get recruited. It means I don't have to deal with telling a recruiter from a company like this that their core company ethics are at complete odds with society and I will not support a company like this.

Respect man, Respect.

I'm not being paid $Texas by any means, and will likely die alone at my work keyboard to be found days later when the Combination Nutrient/Manager Bot rolls by for weekly inspection, but I'm not workin' for the Zuck which is p. great so far.

• Options
    I don't even have the social energy to log into facebook and wish my family happy birthday let alone anyone I've ever friended. It feels isingenuous so I'd rather not do it. It's like when people attend birthdays or weddings and the first thing they'd tell me is "I really don't feel like being here" and my response is always "so don't be, you're not being forced, go the fuck home"

Most people would probably rather stay home than attend someone's birthday anyways, especially at 30 and 40, unless they think it's a singles mixer event where they can hookup or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    i would get depressed every year when people who did not give a shit about me 364 days out of the year would continue to not give a shit about me despite being reminded of my existence by a machine

• Options

But here it is

)

Respect man, Respect.

I'm not being paid $Texas by any means, and will likely die alone at my work keyboard to be found days later when the Combination Nutrient/Manager Bot rolls by for weekly inspection, but I'm not workin' for the Zuck which is p. great so far.

Gimme another 50k and I'd work for a pharma company that drowns kittens.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Rum Tum Tugger
    Jubal77 wrote: »

So young too.

I wonder what is going to happen to Paragon. Hopefully it survives. It looked really playable.

they haven’t said much other than announcing he died but the posts have implied there’s no plan to stop or delay development

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Random high school dude isn't who I'm talking about, though, and it's trivial to block or remove people you're not interested in. But people you meet at parties or through events, friends of friends, incidental connections, online friends, etc. A lot of these social network connections have easily turned into friendships or relationships.

This is not something I have in my life. The entirety of my social energy is used for interacting with other parents at stuff my daughter goes to. Even if I wanted something more from those interactions, I don't have the time.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I was looking at my email this morning and noting that a lot of my communication is from machines - updates on orders I've placed, marketing for services I may or may not have, automated pings about what people I know are doing

I think I was sensitized to it because of this interesting tidbit I read the other day:
    FEBRUARY 14 , 2019
    OpenAI claims its newswriting AI is too dangerous to publicly release.
    ➼ We’ll Read and Write Like Robots

In whatever other ways robots might outperform humans, surely writing is one thing that separates us from machines? Or so we thought. On the other hand, we already read AI-generated text with some frequency in the emails we receive from people using Google’s Smart Reply and Smart Compose functions, for example. And just as we read text from robots, we write text for robots frequently, too, anytime we construct a search query that seems oddly phrased in human languages but gets us exactly the result we’re looking for. And we increasingly encounter text with a simultaneous robot and human audience: tweets meant to engage an audience but also surf the Twitter-sorting algorithm, say, or SEO-spam-farm articles that both communicate to humans the answers to their queries and communicate to robots that an article should be ranked highly in search results.

This sort of writing — think of the strange and stilted language in the pages that come up when you Google something like “how to tie a tie” — represents a kind of bot-human pidgin, a simplified language meant to be used between two groups that don’t speak the same native language. It’d be nice to think that as robots become better at writing like us, and understanding us, we’ll return to a natural, human English, but it seems more likely that as we grow more comfortable writing to (and reading from) robots, a sort of creole will emerge: a functional language developed from a mixed robot-human grammar. —Max Read

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/2029-predictions-based-on-2019.html

• Options
    I think most people continue to enjoy attending birthday parties for their friends and more likeable family pretty much their entire life unless they have some kind of social anxiety or avoidant behaviour?

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't even have the social energy to log into facebook and wish my family happy birthday let alone anyone I've ever friended. It feels isingenuous so I'd rather not do it. It's like when people attend birthdays or weddings and the first thing they'd tell me is "I really don't feel like being here" and my response is always "so don't be, you're not being forced, go the fuck home"

Most people would probably rather stay home than attend someone's birthday anyways, especially at 30 and 40, unless they think it's a singles mixer event where they can hookup or something.

Where in the world do you get this?

I can't think of any of my friends where I would not want to be at their birthday celebration or wedding.

Like, why are you friends with these people if you don't want to enjoy their celebrations?

literally them telling me like in the line above what you bolded

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Pikachu
    i also hate being wished a happy birthday btw because all birthdays are reminders of failure and suffering

real lose lose all around antinatalism etc

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I think most people continue to enjoy attending birthday parties for their friends and more likeable family pretty much their entire life unless they have some kind of social anxiety or avoidant behaviour?

surprised there's such an ardent reaction against the concept considering y'all are nerds

bowen on
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    I was looking at my email this morning and noting that a lot of my communication is from machines - updates on orders I've placed, marketing for services I may or may not have, automated pings about what people I know are doing

I think I was sensitized to it because of this interesting tidbit I read the other day:
    FEBRUARY 14 , 2019
    OpenAI claims its newswriting AI is too dangerous to publicly release.
    ➼ We’ll Read and Write Like Robots

In whatever other ways robots might outperform humans, surely writing is one thing that separates us from machines? Or so we thought. On the other hand, we already read AI-generated text with some frequency in the emails we receive from people using Google’s Smart Reply and Smart Compose functions, for example. And just as we read text from robots, we write text for robots frequently, too, anytime we construct a search query that seems oddly phrased in human languages but gets us exactly the result we’re looking for. And we increasingly encounter text with a simultaneous robot and human audience: tweets meant to engage an audience but also surf the Twitter-sorting algorithm, say, or SEO-spam-farm articles that both communicate to humans the answers to their queries and communicate to robots that an article should be ranked highly in search results.

This sort of writing — think of the strange and stilted language in the pages that come up when you Google something like “how to tie a tie” — represents a kind of bot-human pidgin, a simplified language meant to be used between two groups that don’t speak the same native language. It’d be nice to think that as robots become better at writing like us, and understanding us, we’ll return to a natural, human English, but it seems more likely that as we grow more comfortable writing to (and reading from) robots, a sort of creole will emerge: a functional language developed from a mixed robot-human grammar. —Max Read

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/2029-predictions-based-on-2019.html

*morpheus voice* MACHINES!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Agumon
    Deebaser wrote: »

But here it is

)

Respect man, Respect.

Gimme another 50k and I'd work for a pharma company that drowns kittens.

Honestly if someone told me they could pay off my student loans just so I could keep my current salary I'd do just about anything.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    We lost an afternoon's worth of programming so my conference is done way early

I was supposed to fly out tomorrow morning but apparently Delta is doing a flight + connection that doesn't leave for a couple hours

what's involved in changing? am I going to get hosed with a fee or can I do a one-to-one?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »

So young too.

they haven’t said much other than announcing he died but the posts have implied there’s no plan to stop or delay development

Oh good. It will be interesting to see the game as it was displayed in the streams and the end product without McQuaids legendary micromanagement.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

surprised there's such an ardent reaction against the concept considering y'all are nerds

"Most people don't actually want to go to birthday parties" is a wild claim, to me, is all

• Options
    We lost an afternoon's worth of programming so my conference is done way early

I was supposed to fly out tomorrow morning but apparently Delta is doing a flight + connection that doesn't leave for a couple hours

what's involved in changing? am I going to get hosed with a fee or can I do a one-to-one?

Yeah, the change fee will apply and any difference in airfare (you'll pay if it's more, you won't get a refund if it is less). Depends on the flight and stuff but the ball park for the fee is $200-$500.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly I hate having to attend the birthday parties for my son's friends. Always feels awkward as fuck "Hey uhh you're that parent I pass in the hall at daycare, hi..."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.