As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Expanse] You know a lot about how people die.

19495969798100»

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Expanse S3 and Expanse books t book 5 spoiler
    I'm still realllly surprised how well the TV series did Ashford. The book character was just.. too stupid to live really.

Meanwhile, in the TV series, you have reasonable standpoints on all sides

I really gotta say, the TV series did it better
    I don't know. Ashford is completely different. While I enjoy the TV version better as a character, the book version had a purpose that I didn't think was remotely close to being met on the show. Personally, I felt like they breezed over the whole mutiny thing too quickly and loosely.

Hell, he was the captain that got overthrown thanks to Bull, which also wasn't present at all.
    I'm still loving the show, though.

Eh... I absolutely hated that part and hated that it took a whole book. So I was very very pleased!
    And that's what's great about these things. We all like different parts and dislike others, but we all still enjoy the series.

I'm a sucker for the intense battles and power shifts in space operas, like the first two books in the Commonwealth Saga. That was some intense stuff and I fell head over heels for it.
    [...]

In that situation, I was just annoyed that
    Ashford was a complete buffoon in the books. They even gave him a head injury to explain it! Doesn't explain how that many people follow him. Or so I thought, until I thought about world politics since around 2016...

Still what you're saying is right. This show hits many notes of scifi, and everyone likes them differently!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm still realllly surprised how well the TV series did Ashford. The book character was just.. too stupid to live really.

I don't know. Ashford is completely different. While I enjoy the TV version better as a character, the book version had a purpose that I didn't think was remotely close to being met on the show. Personally, I felt like they breezed over the whole mutiny thing too quickly and loosely.

Hell, he was the captain that got overthrown thanks to Bull, which also wasn't present at all.

Eh... I absolutely hated that part and hated that it took a whole book. So I was very very pleased!
    And that's what's great about these things. We all like different parts and dislike others, but we all still enjoy the series.

I'm a sucker for the intense battles and power shifts in space operas, like the first two books in the Commonwealth Saga. That was some intense stuff and I fell head over heels for it.
    [...]

Ashford was a complete buffoon in the books. They even gave him a head injury to explain it! Doesn't explain how that many people follow him. Or so I thought, until I thought about world politics since around 2016...

Yeah, he was a complete idiot and was totally unqualified for the job. He was nothing more than a figurehead, since Bull was an Earther and it would have seemed a slap in the face if he were in charge.

I know he only existed in Book 3, so not major to the overall story, but I really, really liked Bull as a character. When they left him out of the show, I was severely butt hurt about it. They've basically just taken several characters and combined them into Drummer. I guess it works for the show, but it tastes like Equal instead of sugar. I know it can work, but it's just not the same.

I digress. I'm just excited to be talking about the books/series with anyone, lol... I live a sad existence.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

[...]

Yeah, he was a complete idiot and was totally unqualified for the job. He was nothing more than a figurehead, since Bull was an Earther and it would have seemed a slap in the face if he were in charge.

I know he only existed in Book 3, so not major to the overall story, but I really, really liked Bull as a character. When they left him out of the show, I was severely butt hurt about it. They've basically just taken several characters and combined them into Drummer. I guess it works for the show, but it tastes like Equal instead of sugar. I know it can work, but it's just not the same.

I digress. I'm just excited to be talking about the books/series with anyone, lol... I live a sad existence.

Counterpoint: Show Drummer is quite awesome. She's good in the books, but Cara Gee infuses her with a ton of character and independence.

I do miss Sam, though.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Episode 3

Damn Amos you sure got a way with the ladies.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Up to the end of episode 4x04 and loving it so far. :D 8-)

Random thoughts:
    Avasarala is walking around in her fancy UN space plane on her way to Mars, wearing mag-boots, on luxuriously soft carpet, and they still go 'CLUNK CLANK CLUNK'. :lol:
    I'm just being nit-picky but whoever did the Dubbing/Foley on that scene messed up and I can't stop laughing. :lol:

I love glitchy Miller.

Shohreh Aghdashloo would make for the best politician IRL. "Leak it, quietly..." "What the fuck is going on down there!?" :)

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Up to the end of episode 4x04 and loving it so far. :D 8-)

Random thoughts:
    Avasarala is walking around in her fancy UN space plane on her way to Mars, wearing mag-boots, on luxuriously soft carpet, and they still go 'CLUNK CLANK CLUNK'. :lol:
    I'm just being nit-picky but whoever did the Dubbing/Foley on that scene messed up and I can't stop laughing. :lol:

I love glitchy Miller.

Shohreh Aghdashloo would make for the best politician IRL. "Leak it, quietly..." "What the fuck is going on down there!?" :)

The chunka-chunka-chunka didn't make a lot of sense there but I like that they're so consistent with their audio and visual cues that "this scene is in low-G". A lot of shows would have said, "They have magnetic boots!" in episode one, season one and then paid no attention to acceleration ever again.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Just finished the season.

You know, Cibola Burn gets a lot of guff for being a one-off, but I always thought it had one of the better action climaxes. They went a sort of different direction with it here, but it's still good.

Episode 10 (huge spoiler)
    Damn Ashford, going out like a goddamn boss. I hope this gets Drummer back on the team after her resignation.

Fuck Marco, though.

It was good to see Chad Coleman as Fred Johnson again... maybe we get Jared Harris back to play Dawes next season? Nemesis Games
    is all OPA politics, all the time

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I watched the first 2 episodes of the new season yesterday. I went in expecting them to have a noticeably lower budget from previous seasons. Just given what I've seen so far, I think Amazon spent a LOT more money than Scifi was. I guess this is what happens when you make a show that Jeff Bezos really really likes. Man, the overhead landscape shots on New Tera were fucking amazing. It truly looked like an alien world. They are pulling off special effects shots that you would normally see once or twice a season, several times an episode, now. If you can, watch it in 4k with HDR and a bangin sound system. The new season makes good use of all of it.
    Did you notice that they changed the decent sequence from a suicide burn to a controlled thrust descent? I can totally see that as a jab at Elon Musk's proclivity for suicide burns. The scientist's landing pod also looked remarkably like a more refined Blue Origin New Shepard rocket. It looks like this season has a lot more sympathy for the Belters while Mars is looking more despotic and irrational. Methinks Pappa Bezos has his fingers in the pie and is playing politics. I'm OK with all of this because the show looks absolutely gorgeous.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    If you've read the books

(all books spoiler)
    Mars has A LOT of really Batshit clown car Honk Honk crazy elements.

Laconia is basically those elements as a State

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    If you've read the books

(all books spoiler)
    Mars has A LOT of really Batshit clown car Honk Honk crazy elements.

Laconia is basically those elements as a State
    One of the best things about the show is that it can lay groundwork for stuff that will be important later better than the books could.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Watching the new seaspn and giggling as everyone on
    illus
    fails to realize who theyre dealing with

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Is this ( show Bobby spoiler)
    plot line where she starts criming/smuggling From the novella or completely new? I’m finding that to be by far my least favorite plot direction. I just feel like the characterization of her so far suggests her morality doesn’t work that way.

VishNub on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    plot line where she starts criming/smuggling From the novella or completely new? I’m finding that to be by far my least favorite plot direction. I just feel like the characterization of her so far suggests her morality doesn’t work that way.
    I have no memory of it from the point where I stopped reading the books, but I like it for two reasons. One is that it makes her a more human character; outside of the most hardcore brainwashed zealots, anybody with a brain is going realize their homeworld is shit if they save it twice and it rewards them by stomping on them, repeatedly.

The second is that I'm thinking Bobby is playing a long game here and using the criminals to find out where all this stolen shit is going.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I have no memory of it from the point where I stopped reading the books, but I like it for two reasons. One is that it makes her a more human character; outside of the most hardcore brainwashed zealots, anybody with a brain is going realize their homeworld is shit if they save it twice and it rewards them by stomping on them, repeatedly.

The second is that I'm thinking Bobby is playing a long game here and using the criminals to find out where all this stolen shit is going.

I haven't seen the show but
    Book Bobbie investigates the disappearance/record tampering of MCRN ships. The books don't really go into the details of how she investigates it, but it doesn't seem to be through the Martian government (which is completely in the dark).

sig.gif
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    They do a few cues but should be careful about wearing loose clothes and hair as those always fail

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Just finishing up the season 4 finale. Fucking excellent.

Moving back to the books I'm going to reiterate that my biggest fears about this entire series is not getting a payoff when it comes to the mysteries.

edit:
    Biggest disappointment is the explosion of Illus should have been a hole hell of a lot more spectacular. I'm also going to miss Miller.

Trace on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The change of actor for Avasarala's husband confused me for a bit.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    The change of actor for Avasarala's husband confused me for a bit.

To be fair, that original actor was only in, what, 2-3 scenes back in the first series? Would've preferred they kept the original, but it also threw me for a loop figuring out why this random guy was hanging around Chrisjen.
    Richy wrote: »

I haven't seen the show but
    Book Bobbie investigates the disappearance/record tampering of MCRN ships. The books don't really go into the details of how she investigates it, but it doesn't seem to be through the Martian government (which is completely in the dark).
    I do remember she tracks down what happens with the smuggling, but I'm definitely finding the track of the show MUCH more interesting in this regard if it's going that way. Ironically, the show is doing a vastly better job of showing how Mars is kinda falling apart and how that's causing Martian tech to get out despite having less time to explore those things, and it's also doing things to make Marcos's Earth attack far less of sudden surprise thing. I will be so much happier with how stealth tech gets to Marcos if it means something like he just barely manages to get it away from Bobby, instead of some completely deus ex bullshit everything-goes-perfectly moronic heist situation. We've already seen his attempt to set up hitting Earth with something by trying to knock out the asteroid detection system, so now when the stealth asteroids show up it's going to be an "oh, okay, that's what he was trying to do", not a random bout of hyper-competence by a tiny Belter group.

We're also got to see just why Marcos gets away with his bullshit, mostly because he's just a lying psychopath who is fairly charming. He's a real shithead, but the kind of shithead that becomes the center of a cult of personality and abuses that power hugely.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Up go episode 5 of the new season.
    thought it was a little out of character for Holden to blow up that Protomolecule tower. After everything he's seen, that seems like a last resort option.

Also yo, are all the towers like that!? Capable of spinning around and creating earthquakes? Cause that's some bad news right there.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Re: prev post ep 5 spoilers
    the tower wasnt spinning and creating an earthquake. It was excavating a path. (What for, no clue)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Up go episode 5 of the new season.
    thought it was a little out of character for Holden to blow up that Protomolecule tower. After everything he's seen, that seems like a last resort option.

Also yo, are all the towers like that!? Capable of spinning around and creating earthquakes? Cause that's some bad news right there.
    I disagree, that was a typical Holden thing. If it wasn't going to hit the settlement, he would've considered shooting it anyway just because they don't know what it will do next and let it go, but it was an imminent threat. He'll listen to idiots screaming at each to the end of time if it means nobody shoots each other, but a rogue killer building on its way to kill his friends? Yeah, that gets a missile to face, post haste.

And it's a tricky situation anyway. He's seen the crazy shit that happens if the protomolecule gets to ramp up to anything, but he's also seen the crazy shit the protomolecule does if it perceives a threat. I'm betting it was just a lucky guess as the planet didn't perceive anything less than an exploding island as an actual threat.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Someone make a new Expanse thread.

Geth, close the thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Bogart. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.