As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Adore EA & Corruption 2029 out today!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    David_T wrote: »
    So what's a good sim builder? One of those where you can end up with a perfectly working world that just goes without your input? I've been watching quite a bit of Let's Game It Out and, horrendous business practices and abuse of Graces' aside, it's scratched an itch. I'm looking at something like Project Hospital, but are there some hidden gems out there?

Kingdoms and castles is a fun little builder with an active dev who continues to roll out new features.

Anno 1800 will be the big fish in this genre, beautiful and complex. Definitely a time sink.

If you’re looking for a roller coaster tycoon style game, Parkitech is the modern spiritual successor. Isometric viewpoint and all. Everything is well rendered though with a super deep building and scenery system and a robust series of missions.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I've played Kingdoms and Castles, but it's long enough ago that it might be a very different game now.

Anno looks like Banished on steroids, which is not a bad thing. Unless you're WADA. And there's the Epic $10 dollar coupon deal...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Foundation falls somewhere between Settlers and Banished and I've really been enjoying it so far.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Satisfactory is fantastic, can't wait for the full release. That's on Epic and you can get it with that coupon which makes it one hell of a fucking deal.

Factorium is the top down version of the same thing.

Cities: Skylines is a very excellent Sim City.

Planet Coaster and now Planet Zoo are good ones, though sounds like Zoo might still be a little buggy.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So what's a good sim builder? One of those where you can end up with a perfectly working world that just goes without your input? I've been watching quite a bit of Let's Game It Out and, horrendous business practices and abuse of Graces' aside, it's scratched an itch. I'm looking at something like Project Hospital, but are there some hidden gems out there?

Honestly I've never found something that scratches the itch quite like Banished, but I wish I had

Foundation as well as Kingdoms and Castles seem to be well-reviewed, but something about the aesthetic doesn't quite work for me

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Brolo on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    There's a promo running at https://www.games-workshop.com/ where you can get a Total War: Warhammer Steam key for free with any order.
    It seems to be available in different countries. There is no minimum spending required (you can even order a simple dice).
    Also, you can ask your order to be delivered to the your nearest Games Workshop or Warhammer store. That way you won't need to pay for delivery:
    aiuytw253lg1.jpg

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Kingdoms and Castles is good (great even), but build a big enough kingdom and you'll easily hit the feature ceiling.

After that it's just optimization of resources and against incoming invaders and dragons until the next new feature.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Not the podcast thread. :Razz:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So after hearing about it for a little over a year, I picked up Heaven Will be Mine on the Steam sale and I...have very mixed feelings about it? I played as Pluto, and played through her story and when it was interpersonal or going through her chat messages with Mars it was really good. When it was getting into the metaphysical descriptions and discussions of Culture and Gravity it got a little too on the purple prose side for me. Like almost put it down immediately overwrought at the beginning, until I got about two-three days in and it started balancing it better. The times the prose seemed to work for me was during some of the mech battles, like
    Saturn and Pluto's fight where they are dealing with Pluto's insane psychic powers by having Saturn use her hijacking distance powers to ride the waves was really cool.

Or the ending scene for the CG ending, where Pluto, Luna-T, and Saturn manage to break off from Earth to create life in space and protect the rest of space from Earth.

I'm not sure if I'll play the others, it'll definitely probably be after a break though.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ugh, I swear I paused Humble last week but apparently not. Oh well, I was vaguely interested in Phantom Doctrine I guess. I mean, not $12 interested but I've wasted more money before on less.

Still irritatating as fuck though.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Blasphemous is real good, though.

And also Shadow of the Tomb Raider is there.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    aw shit, thanks for Civ 6 Iolo !!

oh man and @Eddy thank you for Encased!

I feel like the belle of the ball <3<3<3

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I tried playing Cities Skylines again today. Did my usual thing of playing okay until I needed to upgrade my traffic system, then spending 30 minutes trying to design a junction for my main arterial road that is efficient and not hideous before getting frustrated and quitting the game.

Building intersections in that game is such a fucking chore.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Ended up going with Anno and Satisfactory.

I'm gonna lose days and days to Anno, but boy is it a chore to launch.

Turns out, even though I bought it through the Epic store, I still have to link to my Uplay account.

Then, turns out, even though I've linked my Epic account to my Uplay account, I have to launch it with the Uplay launcher.

Then, turns out, since I don't have the Uplay client installed, there's no launcher and no error message about that, the game just never launches when you press play in the Epic client, so I now have to download and install the Uplay client.

Then, turns out, even with the Uplay client installed, if I try to launch the game through the Epic client, the Uplay launcher pops up wanting my email and password, then errors out saying that "An Epic Games service is unavailable at the moment".

Because apparently I have to launch it straight from the Uplay client to be able to play it. As soon as it downloads this 6 gig patch that wasn't part of the original download.

But game is fun.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Uplay is suspiciously terrible software. It goes way past bad design and makes me think it was created by the son of an impoverished croquet set manufacturer, who blames video games for his family's downfall and wants revenge on us all.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get back into Outer Wilds and man there's so much of this game that I'm so into but playing it is just kind of a frustrating experience

it's so fiddly and delicate, I crashed into the dang sun like three times in a row just trying to go to Ash Twin

I think what I really need is a really good Youtube playthrough so I can see all the extremely cool stuff without having to actually play it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Anno 1800 is a lovely plate-spinning simulator that I’ve sunk a bunch of time into lately. It does a great job of ramping up the complexity and keeping everything interesting into the mid and late game

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    You fool. You can't turn up graphics. You have to tighten them.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I'm trying to get back into Outer Wilds and man there's so much of this game that I'm so into but playing it is just kind of a frustrating experience

it's so fiddly and delicate, I crashed into the dang sun like three times in a row just trying to go to Ash Twin

I think what I really need is a really good Youtube playthrough so I can see all the extremely cool stuff without having to actually play it

Don’t forget you can autopilot to planets. But yeah I tried to get back into it after a long hiatus and the problem I had was trying to figure out what I should do based on the mess of a ship’s log I had left. Also, fuck the dark bramble.

I’ve been watching this LP, I’m not done with it but so far it seems pretty thorough, and has no commentary.

https://youtu.be/U61g3DN--HY

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Cross-posting this from the G&T Doom thread:
    Darmak wrote: »
    This looks like a nice Lovecraftian total conversion for Doom 2. Going to try it out when I get home from work

https://youtu.be/j2u4fwQ4-TU

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ended up going with Anno and Satisfactory.

I'm gonna lose days and days to Anno, but boy is it a chore to launch.

Turns out, even though I bought it through the Epic store, I still have to link to my Uplay account.

Then, turns out, even though I've linked my Epic account to my Uplay account, I have to launch it with the Uplay launcher.

Then, turns out, since I don't have the Uplay client installed, there's no launcher and no error message about that, the game just never launches when you press play in the Epic client, so I now have to download and install the Uplay client.

Then, turns out, even with the Uplay client installed, if I try to launch the game through the Epic client, the Uplay launcher pops up wanting my email and password, then errors out saying that "An Epic Games service is unavailable at the moment".

Because apparently I have to launch it straight from the Uplay client to be able to play it. As soon as it downloads this 6 gig patch that wasn't part of the original download.

But game is fun.

The ubisoft launcher system and everything about the experience of using it is shit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Uplay works fine on its own.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Uplay works fine on its own.

yeah, I've played multiple games through Uplay on it's own that I either bought there or got free or codes for, and it works totally fine. But using it through Steam/Epic sounds like a shitshow

Anyway, speaking of Epic, free game today is Shadow Tactics: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/shadow-tactics/home
    Tomorrow is The Talos Principle

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I tried playing Cities Skylines again today. Did my usual thing of playing okay until I needed to upgrade my traffic system, then spending 30 minutes trying to design a junction for my main arterial road that is efficient and not hideous before getting frustrated and quitting the game.

Building intersections in that game is such a fucking chore.

If your frustrated you can go on the workshop and download all different kinds of intersections and exchanges. It's a lifesaver. There's people making art out of roads out there and I'm all for using their stuff over my god awful stuff.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Yesterday I started what has at this point become my annual holiday playthrough of Mankind Divided. God, I just love this game. The environmental and sound design work so effectively to create an oppressive, bleak atmosphere, and I'm still not sure any other game has done the "multiple pathways, play your way" thing as well as this one did.

It's such a dang shame that Square got greedy and forced Eidos to split it into a trilogy.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I got a s video cable to up scale my n 64 and GameCube and a HDMI converter to make capture easier

I'm prepared for 2020

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Satisfactory is fantastic, can't wait for the full release. That's on Epic and you can get it with that coupon which makes it one hell of a fucking deal.

Factorium is the top down version of the same thing.

Cities: Skylines is a very excellent Sim City.

Planet Coaster and now Planet Zoo are good ones, though sounds like Zoo might still be a little buggy.

Planet Zoo has had a bunch of patches to fix most issues and is pretty stable now.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Remilia, the first trans woman to compete in professional League of Legends, has passed away.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    already seen some very enraging comments on the wider internet about that.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    When you don't want to tell your relatives you're a game streamer:

https://clips.twitch.tv/ViscousCourageousCougarCharlieBitMe

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well thats fucking horrible

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm a big enough Gamer to appreciate that

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I was shown a hilarious bug in Civ 6. If you want a truly busted round of civ 6 this is the bug for you.

Race to pantheon, and then select either the pantheon that gives you a free settler, or a free builder.

When you hit "Found Pantheon" hit esc at the exact same time. It will give you the settler or builder and let you pick again. repeat until you are loaded in builders and settlers ( stop around 7-10 because you will have to delete any stacked units at the end of the turn anyway)

Also fun to see how bad the AI cheats on high difficulties, because they will still keep up.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It turns out you can also do it with the one that gives you an adjacency bonus for tundra tiles to holy sites, meaning you can get a holy site with +n per adjacent tundra tile, where n is the number of times you can be bothered to go through it, which you can then easily (by purchasing the right great scientist with faith) turn into a +n science bonus as well, which should set you up to finish the tech tree in basically however many turns there are techs remaining in your tree.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oh man.

I got a new 55" Samsung QLED in the Boxing Day sales.

I just put the Steam Link App on it and kicked up a game on it with my kids sitting next to me on the sofa while I played Rime for the first time. This was so much better than having them squabble about who is sitting in my lap and fighting half the time.

Gamechanger.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.